HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 6:15 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
okay.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 1:19 PM

I pretty much followed the suggestion from a previous post, 5 above ground parking, 20 floors office. The height in this modification is exactly the same, and from this angle, this isn't half bad, except now the parking garage looks puny.

Last edited by the Genral; Apr 24, 2017 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 1:46 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post

I pretty much followed the suggestion from a previous post, 5 above ground parking, 20 floors office. The height in this modification is exactly the same, and from this angle, this isn't half bad, except now the parking garage looks puny.
I could live with that, even if the bottom half wasn't covered in glass which would look pretty good as well but it fits better with the parking podium reduced. The tower part is proportionally more visually appealing than it's current design.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:58 AM

Quote:

Very Cool

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:

That looks fabulous. Congratulations, you are now a world renowned architect

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
That looks fabulous. Congratulations, you are now a world renowned architect
I just re sculptured a turd, that's all...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 6:32 AM

The Design Commission voted unanimously at the 04/24 meeting to not recommend the density bonus needed to build this project as it currently stands. So it's still a work in progress.

The amount of parking was the issue with the commissioners. Public parking garages are part of Brandywine's business, so incorporating more parking than normal for such a project was done on purpose to allow for significant public use of the parking garage.

The Downtown Alliance spoke in support of the project because of the amount of parking. They see a lack of downtown parking as a serious issue.

The sky lobby (and glass elevators) is planned as a public space.

Here are some fuzzy screen captures from the Design Commission presentation.

There it is peeking up above one of the Silicon Labs buildings next to the W.

Here are some street level shots presented by the landscaping architect.

Design Commission Meeting Video, Item 3A:
http://austintx.swagit.com/play/04242017-1214

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 6:58 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

The guy on the bench looks like such a creep, just staring at the hot chick on the phone.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 11:03 AM
Meh

I don't know. Even with the strange design and a large amount of parking, it at least appears to contribute nicely to the street level. Besides, if this thing has a public observation deck I'll be happy with whatever it looks like while I'm looking out the windows at everything else.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't know. Even with the strange design and a large amount of parking, it at least appears to contribute nicely to the street level. Besides, if this thing has a public observation deck I'll be happy with whatever it looks like while I'm looking out the windows at everything else.
The Sky Lobby being public is a very cool development in all this. The street interaction looks great as well. I still love the upper part of this design. I actually don't mind the aesthetic of the parking podium - I just wish it were smaller. Will this not be able to go forward until a significant design change? Without it, seems like there's no bonus. We're going to end up with Fifth and Colorado 2.0 aren't we? Not sure the negative podium outweighs all the other positives. I'm behind this one.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:36 PM

My frustration with this isn't the amount of parking but it's the inefficient use of space for the parking. Like someone mentioned before, just put a few levels underground, or make the garage valet - it could be 1/3 the size and still fit the same number of cars. Is it really still profitable to have levels of public garage rather than office space?? In this city??

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 6:31 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

So the Downtown Austin Alliance thinks that there is a lack of parking? in what universe?

There was plenty of parking during SXSW. The garage that I parked at just about daily never got filled up. There isn't a lack of parking by any means. If there's an issue, it's that people may not know that there are many garages that are open in the evenings and weekends.

The only other thing that I can think of that the DAA may be pushing for is increasing weekday public parking since there are fewer parking garages available for public use during office working hours. The parking garages available can fill up sometimes in which case your wandering around trying to find street parking and that can be a hassle. I don't have too much of a problem finding street parking but I don't mind walking distances either. Not everyone is inclined or able to walk 5+ blocks from where they park.

I agree with lovethecity that it's more an issue with inefficient use of parking. There's parking space available but it's closed off to public use during the day.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:45 AM
Meh

The design commission is meeting on this one on May 22.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=277064

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The design commission is meeting on this one on May 22.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=277064
Reps for the developers didn't even attend the meeting. The sole purpose of this meeting was to get the proper amount of no votes against the FAR increase because there were not enough commissioners present to vote at the last meeting. The future is not bright for this project.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Reps for the developers didn't even attend the meeting. The sole purpose of this meeting was to get the proper amount of no votes against the FAR increase because there were not enough commissioners present to vote at the last meeting. The future is not bright for this project.
In this iteration or the overall project? Could this be scrapped entirely?

As much as people hate this, it had some cool features, like the sharp edges, the glass elevators, good street interaction, and the public sky Lobby.

It will be a sad day when we get a 14-story box that could just as easily be off a highway in a business park or a repaved surface parking lot.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
In this iteration or the overall project? Could this be scrapped entirely?

As much as people hate this, it had some cool features, like the sharp edges, the glass elevators, good street interaction, and the public sky Lobby.

It will be a sad day when we get a 14-story box that could just as easily be off a highway in a business park or a repaved surface parking lot.
Wouldn't it be nice if they kept all of the cool features of this, without making it a boring blue rectangle, or without making it 80% parking?

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 8:56 PM

This building is fuuuuuuuuuuuuugly!

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:36 AM

I feel like I just have to stick up for this design now and then..... If nothing else, just to see some of you bristle.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I feel like I just have to stick up for this design now and then..... If nothing else, just to see some of you bristle.
I've always liked it too. I hope Brandywine doesn't just give up on it. Based on Design Commissioners' comments, I think this will get the go ahead if they put some of the parking underground and/or increase the height of the "diamond" on the "band". The ratio of office levels to visible parking levels is the problem.

Last edited by The ATX; May 26, 2017 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:58 AM

During the April Design Commission meeting the Brandywine Rep said the Romanian sculptor Brancusi's work was the inspiration for the design. Here's the sculptor's Wikipedia biography:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consta...3%A2ncu%C8%99i

These were shown at the April meeting as two pieces of art that inspired the building's design:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin