HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheezy View Post
The window-to-wall ratio of buildings is prescribed to be 40% in the energy code (SB-10). If they want to go over that they need to provide energy models which show that the performance of the wall assembly is equivalent. Large windows are huge energy wasters even the highest quality windows. In our climate, anything larger than 60% WWR wouldn't make economic sense.
I don't know enough about this to answer my own question, but how come SO MANY leed platinum buildings incorporate glass curtain walls, even in colder climates, if what you say is true?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 9:22 PM

First of all LEED should generally be taken with a grain of salt as its a very imperfect system that can award credits for various things that don't actually help with climate change/environmental improvement.

But if a project is going for LEED platinum they are willing to spend the big bucks on various upgrades, likely including the best possible windows. I won't get into all of the shenanigans that can happen with energy models either. But governments are trying to crack down on this stuff more so that is why you are seeing more and more buildings actually going for 40% WWR, especially condo buildings where they have much less incentive to spend lots of money on windows and preventing thermal bridging.

I suggest you read:
https://www.buildingscience.com/docu...walls-be-green

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 9:26 PM

I should add, a building can have one large accent 100% curtain wall and have the other walls have much less windows which overall can fit into the 40-50% range

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheezy View Post
The window-to-wall ratio of buildings is prescribed to be 40% in the energy code (SB-10). If they want to go over that they need to provide energy models which show that the performance of the wall assembly is equivalent. Large windows are huge energy wasters even the highest quality windows. In our climate, anything larger than 60% WWR wouldn't make economic sense.
Isn't it summer when it is more of an issue? If in the sun walls of window can help in the winter.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 2:43 AM

I’m hoping one of the “progressive” mayoral candidates makes some commitments to holding developers to higher design standards / improving the street scape / loosening height restrictions. There needs to be a more forceful push on this from council.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I’m hoping one of the “progressive” mayoral candidates makes some commitments to holding developers to higher design standards / improving the street scape / loosening height restrictions. There needs to be a more forceful push on this from council.
The problem is the progressives aren't interested in any of that. They might individually but the progressive voting block wants all 4 story buildings and hates the private sector too much.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 5:03 PM

The only thing I'm certain about with a new mayor is that things will be different. Things always change when you go from an absolute monarchy to a (hopefully) democracy.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
The problem is the progressives aren't interested in any of that. They might individually but the progressive voting block wants all 4 story buildings and hates the private sector too much.
I would consider myself to be "progressive" and I also like good architecture. If anything, better oversight/enforcement of esthetic standards is what's needed in Ottawa these days. If left to their own devices, Ottawa developers will cut corners in a race to the bottom to reduce costs -- and maximize profits. This is OUR city, it belongs to the PEOPLE of Ottawa, not the developers or their finance departments.

Do I "hate" the private sector? Of course not. But, it does need regulation with some teeth -- conditions that works for everyone, not just the corporate bottom line.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:03 PM

I wonder if anyone on the current council has even noticed what it happening to this city. Do they realize that cheap lazy uninspired local developers are hiring cheap lazy uninspired architects to build DOZENS of copy paste Charcoal and Ivory brick Minecraft-designed towers that will transform this city into some kind of twisted modern day take on a Siberian city during Soviet times? Are we alone in noticing what is happening here?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I wonder if anyone on the current council has even noticed what it happening to this city. Do they realize that cheap lazy uninspired local developers are hiring cheap lazy uninspired architects to build DOZENS of copy paste Charcoal and Ivory brick Minecraft-designed towers that will transform this city into some kind of twisted modern day take on a Siberian city during Soviet times? Are we alone in noticing what is happening here?
I think the answer to your last question is yes (generally speaking). I don’t think people really care about what’s built in this city for the most part.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
I think the answer to your last question is yes (generally speaking). I don’t think people really care about what’s built in this city for the most part.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Typically if people notice a new building at all, they view it purely in utilitarian terms. Perhaps it's just the sad times in which we live - the age of the big-box mall, big-box homes, big-box apartment houses (I use that term deliberately), well, you get the picture.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 12:31 AM

Outside of a two block radius of Parliament Hill and our greenspaces - Ottawa is a very blah and ugly city.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Outside of a two block radius of Parliament Hill and our greenspaces - Ottawa is a very blah and ugly city.
That's completely untrue. Perhaps you're speaking about your own neighbourhood, but Ottawa has many beautiful areas. The Glebe, Old South, Westboro, Rockcliffe, are all attractive areas. This city has more greenspace than any other city. Sure like any other city there are good & bad built form throughout and the suburbs are a wasteland. Anything beyond the greenbelt could be bulldozed and nobody would care. But to call Ottawa an ugly city is just plain false. Try travelling a bit.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post
That's completely untrue. Perhaps you're speaking about your own neighbourhood, but Ottawa has many beautiful areas. The Glebe, Old South, Westboro, Rockcliffe, are all attractive areas. This city has more greenspace than any other city. Sure like any other city there are good & bad built form throughout and the suburbs are a wasteland. Anything beyond the greenbelt could be bulldozed and nobody would care. But to call Ottawa an ugly city is just plain false. Try travelling a bit.
Yes it's certainly very competitive with other cities its size I'm North America.

Also for all the hate on car centric suburbs, and I'd never live there myself, ours might look ugly compared to Stockholm or even secondary cities in Europe or size (we aren't financial and cultural capital like most national capitals) but we enjoy vastly more peronsal space than Europeans of similar status. You don't get that without a bit of ugliness.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:52 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that those people living beyond the greenbelt would care quite a bit. And I'll also bet that most of them are not formal city builders or urban planners.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:17 AM

The Barrhaven, Kanata and Orleans tribes are fiercely proud of their cookie cutter houses and box malls built in former corn fields. I have family that identify strongly with, and truly love, their suburban wastelands. It's not for me, but for some people there is real beauty in a million dollar house 2.5 feet away from the next million dollar house.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Perhaps for the 1% in the enclaves you have mentioned life is beautiful and asthetic - try venturing outside of your priviledged bubble and from a whole-of-Ottawa perspective (and again not counting Parliament radius and the greenspaces) Ottawa is blah and blight. Failing to see that - does the new builds and what we are doing to certain areas inspire confidence? Right, didn't think so.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 12:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Perhaps for the 1% in the enclaves you have mentioned life is beautiful and asthetic - try venturing outside of your priviledged bubble and from a whole-of-Ottawa perspective (and again not counting Parliament radius and the greenspaces) Ottawa is blah and blight. Failing to see that - does the new builds and what we are doing to certain areas inspire confidence? Right, didn't think so.
Calls Ottawa a "blah and ugly" place then in the same sentence accuses someone else of living in a "privileged bubble"

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
I remember Leiper being aware. When they approved the M+M proposal on Albert, he asked what procedures are in place to prevent another Claridge Icon bait-and-switch (paraphrasing). Don't remember staff's response, but t wasn't satisfactory IMO.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Lot of those character areas are seeing a boom of bland 9-12 storey residential towers.

Quote:
The Barrhaven, Kanata and Orleans tribes are fiercely proud of their cookie cutter houses and box malls built in former corn fields. I have family that identify strongly with, and truly love, their suburban wastelands. It's not for me, but for some people there is real beauty in a million dollar house 2.5 feet away from the next million dollar house.
Speaking as someone who currently lives in Orleans, I hate the suburban wastelands we've been building for the last 30 years. At least the older suburbs built in the 50s, 60s, and too a certain degree, 70s and 80s, had some character and were somewhat walkable with small strip malls filled with local shops and businesses.

I wish we could be more like Montreal, with human scale but very dense brick walkups all over.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues