HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Arch on Ninth at Aura in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Great! 16 16.00%
Good 49 49.00%
Meh 32 32.00%
No good 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 4:24 PM

i think without the colours it would have been just a plain glass box. this one is alright

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 6:00 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
I think it is because Calgary has a very big CBD, and since traffic is pretty much screwed, the the yuppies are moving downtown to be closer to their work. Also I've heard that Calgary has lots of people from Vancouver, Toronto, and other big cities where this urban lifestyle is already common, and they are moving downtown where they are most comfortable. Also, there are a LOT of investors buying these units.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Calgary traditionally draws more migration from the bigger cities, while Edmonton, has traditionally drawn from rural Alberta and Saskatchewan. Folks from Toronto to and Vancouver etc..are used to condo living, and the prices.

A friend of mine just moved here from Vancouver this summer, and had been looking at Condos. To him they all seemed like a bargain.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 7:31 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I had to go with great on this one. I am all for diversity in building design and esthetic. I really appreciate that some colour was infused into this one. Although the blue and red seem random I like how it stands out. I think that some colour in addition to the glazing is a nice touch. It is also nice that the colour and the features used to display the colour are very simple. The other lines on the building are very simple and sleek and the podium is well done.

Should be nice and will certainly add some character to that part of 12th!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 7:43 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Calgary traditionally draws more migration from the bigger cities, while Edmonton, has traditionally drawn from rural Alberta and Saskatchewan.
I weep for Edmonton.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 7:49 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
I weep for Edmonton.
"Taste the sad Michael!"

I voted good.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 7:54 PM

I hope this one goes ahead soon.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 8:37 PM

I had to go with *Good* for this one. It is in no way bad, but just isn't anything special. These projects are still good to see nonetheless.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 9:26 PM
Pharmaceutical elegance

Good.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 11:47 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Calgary traditionally draws more migration from the bigger cities, while Edmonton, has traditionally drawn from rural Alberta and Saskatchewan. Folks from Toronto to and Vancouver etc..are used to condo living, and the prices.

A friend of mine just moved here from Vancouver this summer, and had been looking at Condos. To him they all seemed like a bargain.
Actually, a greater proportion of Edmonton's housing market is in the multi-family category versus Calgary where it is still primarily dominated by the single-family category. So although I would agree that Calgary does pull in more migrants from Vancouver etc., correlating that to 'more' highrise or larger condo market is quite incorrect.

Latest CMHC housing stats Jan - Aug 2007

Calgary (City)
Single - 4177
Multi - 3551
Total - 7728
Proportion - 54% Single / 46% Multi

Edmonton (City)

Single - 2787
Multi - 3296
Total - 6083
Proportion - 46% Single / 54% Multi

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 12:43 AM

I kinda like this one and I think the colour pieces make it stand out a bit and make the building more unique to Calgary. I do agree, as was said earlier, that it does remind me of those condos in Vancouver...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 1:46 AM

this buiding is nice... i actually like the red stripe thing...

however... i live a block away and honestly i don't like the scale... i wish that there was more money in some nice brick ( i know everyone here hates brick ) brownstone type row housing - similar to the ones on the corner of 10th and 13ave...

i know that density is a great thing for the beltline and we really are lucky to have so much going on and i realise the benefits of a strong urban fabric in the core however as a home owner ( yes one of the last actual HOUSES ) in the beltline i am having a difficult time digesting how many buildings are going up...

just in my immediate area is the that Vantage Pointe "thing", Stella Nova Luna, the Kai towers, Aura, Xenex, Emerald Stone, Montana, L/M (god let this one never happen ), the Parry Bros. Site....

and all the buildings look the same... what about some different scale.... townhouses... brownstones... walk ups...

and tearing down all the old homes... i think the last of the homes left in Connaught should be salvaged and restored... there are plenty of empy lots and areas that can be developed ( ie: crappy little strip malls )

ok sorry... rant over...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopysheep View Post
this buiding is nice... i actually like the red stripe thing...

however... i live a block away and honestly i don't like the scale... i wish that there was more money in some nice brick ( i know everyone here hates brick ) brownstone type row housing - similar to the ones on the corner of 10th and 13ave...

i know that density is a great thing for the beltline and we really are lucky to have so much going on and i realise the benefits of a strong urban fabric in the core however as a home owner ( yes one of the last actual HOUSES ) in the beltline i am having a difficult time digesting how many buildings are going up...

just in my immediate area is the that Vantage Pointe "thing", Stella Nova Luna, the Kai towers, Aura, Xenex, Emerald Stone, Montana, L/M (god let this one never happen ), the Parry Bros. Site....

and all the buildings look the same... what about some different scale.... townhouses... brownstones... walk ups...

and tearing down all the old homes... i think the last of the homes left in Connaught should be salvaged and restored... there are plenty of empy lots and areas that can be developed ( ie: crappy little strip malls )

ok sorry... rant over...
Which house is it you live in, if you don't mind me asking?
I too echo your thoughts and I think that the Stella, Nova, Luna block is a bit over-kill. There are many empty lots or crap strip malls that could be developed, like you said.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 2:14 AM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Actually, a greater proportion of Edmonton's housing market is in the multi-family category versus Calgary where it is still primarily dominated by the single-family category. So although I would agree that Calgary does pull in more migrants from Vancouver etc., correlating that to 'more' highrise or larger condo market is quite incorrect.

Calgary (City)
Single - 4177
Multi - 3551
Total - 7728

Edmonton (City)

Single - 2787
Multi - 3296
Total - 6083
Point taken, although "multifamily" is not a homogeneous group. Certainly, my impression is that there is more "big city" large scale multifamily (ie midrise and highrise towers) being built and proposed in Calgary than in Edmonton.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 2:46 AM

i live on 13 Ave and 10 street.. there are about 10 houses on this block left along with those brick walk ups and the Sturgess townhouse type things... a few rental 3 story type thing and one that was condo'ed... then like ugly bookmarks we have the Royal Oak and the ugly assed apartment on the other end...

the sad thing is that of the 10 houses 3 are businesses... 1 we call the party house and is screaming for a reno, 3 are suited and have renters ( which i'm cool with ) and the 3 remaining houses is us( we have 1 child ) and a family with 7 children and a single mom with a teenage daughter... we all know each other very well and have bbq's and sunday night dinners together... this is an amazing street... i'd love to see the other homes have families move in... the sturgess townhomes have about 4 kids in them as do those brick ones at the end of the block... the ugly apartment building is FULL of kids... i don't understand why families all move out to that suburban wasteland.. the beltline is capable of having wonderful neighborhoods...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 4:28 AM

Quote:

Calgary (City)
Single - 4177
Multi - 3551
Total - 7728

Edmonton (City)

Single - 2787
Multi - 3296
Total - 6083
That has been the case for a while, but it's the type of multi-family that is the big difference. Edmonton has far more of those suburban 3 storey projects.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 12:57 AM
Hicksville Perspective

To me the rating on this project is dependent upon it's location and city ... given it's in Calgary Beltline I'd rate it "good plus " ... Calgary Downtown "good minus" ... Lower Mainland - "meh" ... Edmonton - "great" ... Saskatoon, Regina or Winnipeg - "great plus"

As for the red and blue stripes ... I'm kind of ambivalent ... in some ways it adds to the project and in some ways it detracts from the project ... that said, the stripes help to define this project as residential because without them this project could probably pass for a commercial tower

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopysheep View Post
i live on 13 Ave and 10 street.. there are about 10 houses on this block left along with those brick walk ups and the Sturgess townhouse type things... a few rental 3 story type thing and one that was condo'ed... then like ugly bookmarks we have the Royal Oak and the ugly assed apartment on the other end...

the sad thing is that of the 10 houses 3 are businesses... 1 we call the party house and is screaming for a reno, 3 are suited and have renters ( which i'm cool with ) and the 3 remaining houses is us( we have 1 child ) and a family with 7 children and a single mom with a teenage daughter... we all know each other very well and have bbq's and sunday night dinners together... this is an amazing street... i'd love to see the other homes have families move in... the sturgess townhomes have about 4 kids in them as do those brick ones at the end of the block... the ugly apartment building is FULL of kids... i don't understand why families all move out to that suburban wasteland.. the beltline is capable of having wonderful neighborhoods...
That's one of my fave streets in all of Calgary for sure. Having those homes all in a row show how all of the Beltline used to look about 80 years ago. I wonder if there could be some sort of heritage designation to the streetscape as opposed to individual houses. The houses individually may not get designation but all of them together should be preserved, I think, otherwise soon there won't be any houses left in the Beltline at all.

Anyway, there seems to be a misconception that inner city=bad place to raise kids. But I'll save that discussion for another time.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 10:54 PM
Build'em high!

Quote:

Calgary (City)
Single - 4177
Multi - 3551
Total - 7728

Edmonton (City)

Single - 2787
Multi - 3296
Total - 6083
Actually, Surreal's point is valid. While Edmonton has a higher percentage of mult-family units, almost all of those units are the 'point of view' style suburban variety, as opposed to the downtown highrise variety which is where a large nuumber of Calgary's units are being created. Correlating it to a larger condo market in general might not hold true but it does for the high rise/high end condo factor.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 8:14 PM
Majestic

This thread can be renamed to:

Aura | 83M | 22F | Approved

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 2:38 AM

Here's a picture I took of this site this past summer.

Hopefully this one resurfaces during the next upswing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates