HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
North of Wilson or South of Wilson?
The side near the church I believe.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
Wilson St, between Hughson and John (north side). Stay tuned...
FINALLY!

start tackling those sea of parking lots hamilton!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 8:27 PM

That is a YUGE lot. I hope the church survives! They just restored their front door lol

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Yeah I don't really think getting rid of rent control for newly built units was a good idea. Limiting the yearly increases so you can't do something like 20% per year (assuming low inflation) I can see. Just when we were seeing some units built in Hamilton, now who knows what will happen.
When new units are built the owners can charge whatever they like for rent. I don't see how these rules would hurt development but they help thousands of renters who risk losing their homes.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
That is a YUGE lot. I hope the church survives! They just restored their front door lol
Here's the Google satellite image. I wonder if the entire parking lot is all the same owner.

And there's definitely a need for parking with most spots filled in every lot, so when infill starts to happen a new parking garage somewhere would be prudent.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 6:11 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Here's the Google satellite image. I wonder if the entire parking lot is all the same owner.

And there's definitely a need for parking with most spots filled in every lot, so when infill starts to happen a new parking garage somewhere would be prudent.
A garage with ground level retail wouldn't be too bad. There's a few in Ottawa's Byward Market and they blend in half decently. Not as big an investment as a tower with loads of parking.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
75 Spots in 22 George will be municipal parking spaces. I think it's a total of 2/3 floors? I wouldn't be surprised if this trend of working with developers to include public parking in residential building parking lots continues.

There will always be places to park, but the real question is will Hamilton drivers be willing to accept increases in fares as well as changes to their usual routines? We're a lazy people, and convincing some car owners to walk an extra few blocks or through a different neighborhood is going to be tough.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

City will look at scrapping more downtown incentive grants
Should the city rethink whether it needs to spend tax dollars to encourage development?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ants-1.4172235

It's yet another sign that Hamilton is booming. The city is stepping up plans to look at scrapping a program that spurs downtown development, saying it might not be needed anymore.

The city already reviews a program — called the downtown and community renewal improvement plan — every five years, said Jason Farr, Ward 2 councillor.

Now it'll examine it at the three-year mark instead. It'll also examine a comprehensive report of all the city's development incentive programs next year.

Farr isn't sure it's time to scrap the downtown incentives altogether. But it's time to ask the question.

"It's unbelievable," he said of the rate of development in downtown Hamilton.

He has a large drawer in the bottom of his desk reserved for development applications, he said. "That drawer is quickly filling up, and it's a big drawer."

A quick scan around downtown Hamilton backs up the claim. Excavators are tearing down the old Delta Bingo hall at King William and Hughson streets, where LIUNA is building an apartment tower. It's also finished a 21-storey tower in progress near the Lister Block.

Vrancor Group, which is finishing two high-rise residential complexes on Main Street West, plans a 32-storey tower at 20/22 George St. There are also condo projects planned for the former James Street Baptist Church (the 30-storey Connolly building), and Tivoli theatre (a 22-storey tower), among others.

All of this has the city rethinking whether it needs to spend tax dollars to encourage development. Earlier this month, city council's general issues committee voted to phase out a vacant unit rebate program for owners of commercial and industrial properties. Farr's motions about development grants, approved by the same committee Wednesday, is another move down that road.

A community improvement plan lets a municipality funnel funds and initiatives into a specific area. Their goal includes to "target areas in transition or in need of repair, rehabilitation and redevelopment," the city's website says. They also "stimulate private sector investment."

Various programs have stemmed from the downtown plan, including facade improvement and tax increment grants. Farr said they've spurred a lot of development so far, so he's not sure he wants to scrap them.

"I'm going to wait for the review," he said. But "essentially, we're saying let's review it, and let's try to do it sooner rather than later."

Other councillors, such as Sam Merulla of Ward 4, say there's no reason to keep throwing money into incentive grants.

There was a time when developers were doing Hamilton a favour by developing here, he said earlier this month.

"We're beyond that now. Now we're doing them a favour."

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'd rather see the program shifted to focus on other areas of Hamilton such as the Barton Village, Kenilworth Ave, etc.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:54 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I'd rather see the program shifted to focus on other areas of Hamilton such as the Barton Village, Kenilworth Ave, etc.
Definitely agree.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:43 PM

McCallum Sather Architects just posted this rendering on their Twitter saying that it was an Effort Trust development at Catherine & Forest...
Quote:

@mcCallumSather - @Canada150th project is new but respects the materials and context of its historic #HamOnt, a new #efforttrust dev. at Catharine & Forest

6/22/2017 by mcCallumSather, on Twitter
It doesn't fit anywhere at that intersection and we already have renderings for The Brockton at that site. Looks like it could be another Effort Trust building that they are working on, that they accidentally posted thinking it was the Brockton?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton