HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Arch on Ninth at Aura in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

View Poll Results: Which design would you like to see built?
Allied Works with BKDI 14 10.00%
SPF 76 54.29%
Ateliers Jean Nouvel Workshop 21 15.00%
Saucier + Perrotte with GEC 14 10.00%
Diller Scofidio + Renfro with Kasian 15 10.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 4:46 PM
Round Head

Cantos at King Eddy - National Music Centre

I thought I'd start a poll in our development and construction thread as this is a fits probably better in this section:

Please vote for your favourite, but you could also rank and provide your critique of the designs:

==================================

1. Allied Works with BKDI

Link to Video and Description:
http://cantos.ca/kingeddy/meet-the-a...i-the-concept/

Buildings, as distinct from all other arts, carry a particular silent power that is rendered more potent in a time when all media, all information, and all voices attempt to speak at higher and higher decibels. Rather than seek novelty in form, architecture must create inspired experience. When we build we provide measure and reference for society, but more, buildings amplify our perceptions, understand­ing and aspirations. The more specific and focused the act of building, the more significant its impact upon individuals and the more profound its participation within our cities. It is this essence, revealed in the architecture, which will resonate within a culture and endure through time.

The National Music Centre is an extraordinary instrument, silent and powerful, brought to life by its programs, collections and performances. The new building forms rise as sentinels around the re-born King Eddy, marking the entry to the East Village and new Music District. The towers are beautifully crafted cases that hold the specific potential of a rich musical experience. The building, a gathering of resonant vessels, exists to be ‘played’ – to emanate music, light and activity.

The new design draws from the iconic landscapes of Canada: evoking the canyons and mountains of the west, the silence of the prairies and the energy and diversity of urban space. These forces and influ­ences are concentrated into the National Music Centre, creating a spirit of architecture that inspires and renews.

Inside, new experiences that synthesize architecture, music and interactive media unfold. More than an empty vessel for the programs and collections, the building is the bridge between audience and performer, student and teacher, the body and the collection. It invites inquiry and experimentation, and is a point of contact between hands, minds, materials and ideas. Like a well-crafted instrument, the architecture is capable of a wide range of expression, and holds the potential to create profound, personal and moving experience.

=====================================

SPF Architects

Link to video and descrption:
http://cantos.ca/kingeddy/meet-the-a...a-the-concept/

Take me to the Bridge: The Cantos’ Foundation National Music Centre is a bridge from the East to the West and a gateway to the East Village.
Music on Every Level: The collection, the performance spaces and Classrooms are integrated throughout the building to create opportunities for engagement between otherwise isolated communities.

Eddy: The King Eddy is a place where generations of Calgarians have enjoyed music and each other’s company; it represents a link to the past of Calgary and to the sonic routes of the community.
We honor that past by incorporating it into a new architectural scenario. We’ve kept the Eddy grounded despite the road literally being pulled out from under him and we have added a new layer that preserves the past and allows it to continue to accrue additional layers of history and meaning.

The Soundscape: The soundscape is the heart of this project. A hollow chamber within the buildings mass, vibrations of air and light move through the space reflecting off of its walls warming it’s surfaces describing it’s volume and shape.
The soundscape does not just aurally and visually connect spaces, it is the space where a new and larger community is formed around sound.

An incubator for new music and a repository of Canadian musical culture, this project establishes a space for community within the building and a place for Cantos in the city, while restoring a unique piece of Calgary’s musical heritage to its throne.

Galleries-Laboratory meets living room: The Cantos collection is poised to expand and transform, a variety of flexible spaces finely tuned to its needs awaits. These spaces will develop organically just as the existing collection has writing a new story about the relationship of musical instruments to the architecture and culture that surrounds them.
Black is the New Green: The building insulates and shelters the collection soaking in the sun, calibrating and controlling its light while repurposing its energy to feed the institution.

A Day in the Life: You arrive about midday after lunch, perhaps, and start in the lobby, move up to the mezzanine and view the Rolling stones mobile recording studio, possibly hit the orientation gallery, enter into the soundscape and move up to performance 1- possibly to see a small classical ensemble. After that, continue up the soundscape to one of the galleries and end up potentially at the research area and archives. Once you have had your fill, you could spend a little more time perusing the deconstructed cowboy on level 3 and finally end up in the performance gallery at the very top and catch an avant garde jazz act. But, what you really came for was some heart thumping blues- and you are only about a 30 second elevator ride away that would land you within feet of the King Eddy Club stage and its bar. By now, you are certainly ready for a beer and the first riffs of John Lee Hooker’s “Hobo Blues”.

====================================

Ateliers Jean Nouvel Workshop

Link to video and description:
http://cantos.ca/kingeddy/meet-the-a...uvel-workshop/

The National Music Centre of Canada will be visible. It will keep the brick envelope of the existing King Eddy hotel entirely and will rise in a light and slender tower volume above it. The Tower will appear as an open piano or music box, revealing the brass and wooden inside of a complicated instrument through its cantilevered open lids on the East façade and roof.

The design relies on the opacity of its South and East façades to dramatize these openings and the vertiginous vertical views into and out of the building. The narrow vertical space of the façade gap ties the interior of the building visually together and visitors will never have to wonder where they are on each floor as they descend through the collection spaces.

While the East façade can serve as a giant screen for night time projections, the perforated skin of the West Façade is a fragile, diaphanous full height image that shines like a warm coloured magic lantern at night.

At the street level, the sidewalks slope down by as much as 4’ to follow the grading of the 4th Street underpass creating a stunning detail at the base of the King Eddy. Under the existing façade, a glazed gap opens gradually, offering insights into the Club and a new, 4’ lower entrance below the existing one.

This entrance scenario sends the message that the King Eddy continues to be a low place, close to the street and easily accessible for everyone.

The Club occupies the full three floor height of the old King Eddy Hotel with a main floor and two mezzanine levels. Playing a half-empty house in such a place puts less pressure on the musicians because the void seats of the upper floors can disappear into the dark and the room feels smaller. When the mezzanines do fill up with walls of people, the place keeps a compact and intimate feel despite its size. Spectators on the lower mezzanine can drink, eat and watch a show from a continuous counter around the central void.

During the day, sunlight pours through 52 windows in the existing brick façade and makes the Club a comfortable place to be for breakfast or lunch. At night it becomes a dark and glamorous space with a range of finishes from black iron to white leather and raw bricks to polished stone.

The Collection visitors will enter through a separate large opening in the brick wall of the existing East façade that can be closed like a secret door at night. Elevators will take them to the top floor of the museum from where they can descend in a continuous promenade through seven museum floors, discovering sudden vistas of downtown Calgary, the Bow River and the Rockies on their way.

The vertical stacking of exhibition floors gives maximum flexibility to close and rebuild individual levels without disrupting the overall visit of the place.

At the top of the tower lies a performance space that offers views downwards reflected in the mirror underside of a large cantilevered roof lid.

A large sky light shows a stunning view of the streets below, reflected in the mirrored underside of the tilted roof lid above. When this space is rented out for weddings or events, large sliding panels can be moved away to uncover breathtaking views of the city.

From the street level to the top floor, the Open Piano Tower will be a place for music in its most tolerant understanding. It could become a place for the city and perhaps the world to come together in harmony.

=====================================

Saucier and Perrotte with GEC Architects

http://cantos.ca/kingeddy/meet-the-a...c-the-concept/

The idea of conceptually multiplying the form of the King Eddy was the initial starting point for the design. Spaces evoking its shape are replicated and displaced throughout the new project in order to reference its history. The building path then becomes a unique three dimensional topography that links these replicated objects/spaces, so that the visitor experience is akin to a journey through a new landscape with the historic presence of the King Eddy felt throughout. The movement of people and their experiences of the diverse collections of the Cantos Foundation is what animates this journey through music and sound. The building envelope acts as a skin of clear and smoked glass that ties all the parts together, as it reacts to the activity within and reflects the surrounding urban context. The design of the facades skin manifests in three dimensional terms of the sounds represented by the music we hear. Doing this is instructive to visitors in visualizing the way sound works, and is also a signature treatment for the façade unlike that of any other building.

In addition to its striking formal expression, some of the principal elements that characterize the project include 1) the ground level lobby, which is not limited to the indoors, but which expands outward into the street and city, bringing the history of the King Eddy into the new building; 2) the substantial urban event opportunities generated by the design and program of the new project; and 3) the innovative reverberation space that will undoubtedly become a signature feature of a project positioned to be a major landmark in Canada. And just as the National Music Centre serves to bring new life both socially and economically to East Village around the clock, it will set an example in environmentally conscious design.

=======================================

Diller Scofidio + Renfro architects with Kasian

http://cantos.ca/kingeddy/meet-the-a...n-the-concept/

The National Music Center is an un-museum, a hybrid that merges cultural, educational and social space. The proposal bridges the King Eddy site and Site B across 4th St, producing a gateway to the East Village and anchoring the music master plan. The main building is conceived as the bountiful, younger partner of the Eddy. It leans toward the Eddy as if by magnetic attraction; its corner is undercut in solidarity with the Eddy’s chamfered corner entry. The public enters the main building from the east and south.

The Mixing Room is the nerve center of the complex. It is a grand vertical space that slices across the main building partitioning the program in two; the large presentation spaces are to the north and the smaller, interactive learning spaces to the south. This atrium-like space is lined with floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall super-vitrines that store and display the “living collection.”

The largest artifact in the collection is the King Eddy. The architectural language of the Living Collection is extended across 4th St. the Eddy’s outer skin is preserved and rebuilt on site, making sure to prevent ghosts and memories from escaping. A new music room is tipped into the shell; its floor is stepped for cabaret style seating for 200 diners. Wrap-around galleries adjoining the bar informally hold another100 patrons. Entry is from the east under the tipped volume, featuring surviving photos of the Eddy’s past. An open-air void between the original south wall of the Eddy and its new liner provides a space for the street public to casually watch and hear performances from “backstage” through the glass rear wall. The tipped roof of the new Eddy makes an ideal surface to watch fireworks during the Stampede.

At night, the National Music Center will be a glowing beacon swirling with activity.

=================================

Last edited by Wooster; Mar 23, 2010 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 5:27 PM

I voted for SPF, but i still want to see more about Nouvel's proposal. It HAS to be more interesting then that, even if it all comes together based on materials and lighting.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 5:39 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Based on what I know, I voted SPF.

Knowing more details could change my mind, as both Nouvel and Allied works could be the best or worst depending on those details.

I wouldn't be offended with any one of them, they all look good.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 5:55 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I voted for DSR due to the uniqueness of the building, but I would say that either of the first 2 building would probably be the choice that is made. They just seem to 'fit' better (llos wise) in a conservative city like Calgary and they would probably be received positively by most people. The other options are likely too 'outrageous' for msot Calgarians.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 6:18 PM
BANNED

I voted DSR, but would be just as happy with SPF......man it's getting hard to keep up with all these abbreviations.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 7:09 PM

I'm the odd man out here, I like the BKDI one the best. Not because it's conservative as lubicon mentioned, but because has done the best job at retaining the King Eddy. I feel that this project has embraced the performance aspect of the center slightly better than the other ones. I'd then pick SP second.

SPF looks more like a barricade than a gate. It's kind of reminds me of the Borg for some reason, maybe because it looks kind of dark and foreboding.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 7:19 PM

Honestly, while the King Eddy has some great history, I think it's real charm is what has happened on the inside, not by any sort of visual element you can see. Putting most of the focus on the Eddy itself in a project like this would be a waste of an opportunity in my opinion. In the end, maybe the best scenario would have been to build on another peace of empty land and let the King be by itself.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 7:35 PM
effete latte-lifter

After sleeping on it I changed my vote to SPF. I swear one of the firms was working with Sturgess?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 7:49 PM

I find SPF to be a little to massive. When looking especially at the 3rd image of it, it just seems like it would overshadow anything to the north of it, and cut the East Village off right at what is supposed to be one of its main entrances (4th Street underpass).

My vote was for Saucier and Perrotte, based on the images provided. However now that I am looking again, I see there is the potential to have the same issue as SPF, in that it will seem to foreboding over 4th Street. It doesn't look like it to me based on what is shown, but then there isn't a rendering showing the same angle as SPF.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Honestly, while the King Eddy has some great history, I think it's real charm is what has happened on the inside, not by any sort of visual element you can see. Putting most of the focus on the Eddy itself in a project like this would be a waste of an opportunity in my opinion. In the end, maybe the best scenario would have been to build on another peace of empty land and let the King be by itself.
I agree with you 100% with regards to having it on another site and let the Eddy be the Eddy. It's not like there's a shortage of available land in the East Village.

A restored Eddy combined with Cantos in the Crack-de-Sac would of been perfect. They could of integrated the old St. Louis.

Cantos did not need the King Eddy and The Eddy didn't need Cantos to save it. Dar Macbool (sic) had an awesome proposal that would have restored the Eddie minus the groady strippers and kept it a live music venue.

If only I could king for a day.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 8:08 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I agree with you 100% with regards to having it on another site and let the Eddy be the Eddy. It's not like there's a shortage of available land in the East Village.

A restored Eddy combined with Cantos in the Crack-de-Sac would of been perfect. They could of integrated the old St. Louis.

Cantos did not need the King Eddy and The Eddy didn't need Cantos to save it. Dar Macbool (sic) had an awesome proposal that would have restored the Eddie minus the groady strippers and kept it a live music venue.

If only I could king for a day.
Fun fact: Darr Maqbool's real name is actually Maqbool Dar.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 9:04 PM

What's that guy doing playing developer anyway? What happened to his weatherman gig?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Fun fact: Darr Maqbool's real name is actually Maqbool Dar.
I did not know that, considering I didn't know how to spell either one of his names that's not too surprising.

Not sure what happened to his weatherman gig, I think he was let go. I don't think he wanted to be a developer, it's more like he wanted his old favourite bar back. It was not uncommon to see Darr at the Eddy having a beer or two as he killed time between newscasts. Which, now that I think of it, might explain why he's no longer on TV.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 9:26 PM

Other then the dark black facade of the SPF design I'm liking everything else, not to say I hate the black, I'm just not sure. Maybe it will grow on me. But I see the functional argument side of the black considering we are a cold weather city.

The glass surround around the bases on both sides of the street, the open see through sections of the upper levels, etc, etc, they all look amazing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 3:02 AM

I pick SP + GEC Architects since it creates the most balance IMO.

Here's what I find wrong w/ t/ other four proposals:
(1) Allied Works w/ BKDI - A bit bland with too much reliance on white/grey.
(2) SPF- Black & orange color mix seems awkward & bldg resembles a fort.
(3) AJN - Altho I like towers, the Calgary Herald mentioned today that 7 stories would be dedicated to Cantos. What about the other 11 or so stories? Maybe I'll like this project best if/when they let us know what the rest of the bldg would be used for.
(4) DS + Renfro - Reminds me too much of the redeveloped Royal Ontario Museum. Calgary's ever increasing cultural identity should stay away from imitating that of other more 'established' Canadian cities.

I think SP w/ GEC provides a good blend of conservative, modern, & futuristic & doesn't try to be so different that it looks weird.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 3:28 AM
Littering and............

Certainly not an easy choice (other than putting SP + GEC last for me)

Voted for DS + Renfro. Best massing and IMO and decent incorporation of the Eddy.

Nouvel is the next for me, but echoing what others are saying, needs more detail. Interior space description (openness, mirrored roof element) intrigued me. East Village development in that corner would need to be built to complement the height though.

Like lots of elements of SPF (perforations inside, glass), but worried about that massive wall it creates.

Allied is interesting too. Like the concept for the Eddy.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 5:13 AM
effete latte-lifter

Could we merge the two Cantos threads?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 7:16 AM

Lets keep the posting in this one.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 7:44 AM
Criminal Mastermind

No matter how tall this Cantos proposal is, the view of it from the Stampede grounds will be gone in a few years... the towers proposed for Railtown will create a visual tree wall.

-My pick would be SPF. I really like the acoustics they are trying to play off of. The mix of the space is pretty good, and I love the King Eddy concert hall proposal with the floating balconies.

-DSR is interesting, but I feel the building appears as a very small building, and given it's a museum and function space, should have more flex room. Moving instruments in and out of the cubes like a giant vending machine is an interesting idea, but I'm curious as to if they would be doing much of that.

-SP's proposal is interesting, but I feel like the style of architecture has been proposed here before (ala Acera building?) and it does remind me of City Hall for some reason. The one thing I feel caught up with is it appears the gallery/museum spaces are lined up along a hall/ramp type of area.. If it's anything like the winding halls and confusing corridors of the Alberta Performing Arts, then we have a problem.

-AJN has potential for sure, given we didnt hear about the other site, and the future phases.. It's hard to imagine people going up 15 floors for studios or to check out the museum. The budget would be spent building the narrow tower, and the site across the street wouldnt be developed for some time... using the building as a projection screen, and a potential future phase with a rooftop bleacher area is a really cool idea. Hard to imagine moving pianos up and down such a narrow tall building though.

-Allied works has potential, but I feel the architecture is a bit bland for this type of use. Museums (especially music ones - Seattle's Music Experience) should be LOUD and fun. Although like others have said, in theory, practicality, and use, this one stays close to the common goal.

Either way, we're getting a really neat piece to add to the collection. Either proposal, you can bet they'll get to use 4th street annually for a blockparty like any other block party.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 11:57 PM
Booooring!

the SPF design is the best by far, I was drooling all over my keyboard whilst watching the presentation video

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates