HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Anybody notice that Canada did pretty well in these championships and in the "glamour" events to boot.

I think it's the best we have ever done. I expect some great results at next year's Olympics.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 6:43 PM

If these ownership groups are the same ones that run CFL teams how will that work for the teams in Winnipeg and Regina (Edmonton has a private owner for their current NASL team)? Will these community-owned teams take on the onerous task of owning a team in a fledgling league that will most likely lose money from the outset?

I really don't like the idea of these teams playing in CFL stadiums. What kind of atmosphere will there be with 5,000 people in a 20,000 seat lower bowl?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:01 PM

Where were you in '72?
Canada'sHistory.ca
Readers send us their memories of the '72 Summit Series and the goal of the century.

We asked readers about their memories of the last game of the 1972 Summit Series between Canada and the U.S.S.R. Below are some of their responses.

I was in my Grade 8 classroom at Ridgeway school in Oshawa Ontario and the teacher wheeled a TV into the room and we all crowded around to watch the game. What I remember most was the pure joy and Canadian pride in a room full of 12-year-olds when that goal was scored by Canada.

Favourite moments were Espo breaking the tension by getting up and taking a bow when he fell on the ice, the footage of the Canadians arriving in Russia, identifying as a Canadian and really understanding patriotism then.

— Patricia Robinson

My best friend and I were at the Montreal Forum for the first game — and I have to say that we were SHOCKED at how well the Russians played. For the last game I was at home glued to the TV. It was the biggest event of my life (I was 26 at the time). I remember well Henderson's goal — and hearing my neighbours in the Montreal suburb of NDG scream with joy.

— Tim Landry

We were in the gymnasium at school, watching on the large black-and-white TV on wheels — complete with rabbit ears, watching the game with about a hundred other students. I was angry because my brother who was in a higher grade and went to another school was allowed to stay home that day to watch the game. The Henderson goal was magic. We knew it was coming — we could feel it. For some reason, it meant everything. Phil Esposito falling on the ice & the crowd laughing was another great moment.

— Brian Laufman

I was at school, Niagara University. Going from class to class, I went by the lounge area... never made it to the next class. The room erupted when Paul made his goal.

— Dale Madison

At Mary Hopkins Public School, Waterdown, Ontario — for game 7, our teachers put a TV in the big open area between 4 classrooms, and we all crowded around. It's one of my best memories of elementary school. One of the school bullies made a great show of cheering for the Russians — we were thrilled when he got his comeuppance!

— Jonathan Vance

I was sitting on the gymnasium floor at German's School. The entire school was there. It was a rural school where I was fortunate to be teaching special needs children. The staff was like a big family and the children were our children. We had only one television set in the school and NO cable etc. One of the staff members "jiggled and wiggled the antennae" until we were able to see a fuzzy screen coming and going. These measures did not deter anyone from focusing, as best they could, and listening quietly. I was amazed when the entire school erupted when Henderson scored the winning goal. Many of the children from the area played hockey on teams in the county.

— Rita Vankeuren

I was in the lounge at the Port Arthur General Hospital, Thunder Bay, Ontario, having just given birth to my first son, 9 lb. 6 oz. He never did take up hockey himself, despite seeing that amazing game at such a tender young age, he prefers curling and soccer!

— Susan Marrier

I was working in the Town of Markham municipal office when Paul Henderson scored the winning goal in the last game. We were listening to the game on the radio and were very annoyed when a resident, who obviously wasn't a hockey fan and had no sense of that momentous occasion, wouldn't stop asking us questions instead of listening to the game like everyone else was!

— Bob Martindale

In 1972 I was traveling about on a motorcycle in Australia and had no inkling that this series was being played. Prior to leaving in early 1972 there was some talk about such a series taking place but nothing was arranged. In May 1973 I was sitting in a dentist's office in Kalgoorlie. There was a six-month-old copy of Time magazine. I started reading it and there was an article about the Canada-Russia hockey series from the previous autumn. There was absolutely nothing about this in any Australian newspaper or sportscast. No one had bothered to say anything in any letter. Paul Henderson is from Lucknow, Ontario and I grew up five miles away. We used to play fastball against his team from Lucknow all the time.

— Ron Moore

You can also listen to television broadcaster Don Newman sharing his personal memories of Paul Henderson’s series-winning goal in Moscow.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The nice thing about this league is that Moncton Stadium and the stadium in Halifax are more than likely big enough to accommodate teams. That removes the biggest single obstacle to getting a franchise...
Halifax still doesn't have an adequate stadium, but the Moncton Stadium is ideal for soccer, with a world class pitch that proved itself in the FIFA Women's World Cup. The stadium seats 10,000 now but modest end zone seating could easily push the capacity to 14,000. Add in permanent washrooms for the east side grandstand and some concessions and you wold be good to go.

I betcha the Moncton Stadium could be adequately upgraded for five million or so. I'd be happy with a pro soccer team in Moncton and let Halifax have the regional CFL team.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
-launch target date, Spring 2017
-salary budget for each team $1-1.5million (similar to NASL average)
-8 initial cities: Vancouver, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal
-Ottawa Fury likely to make the jump from NASL
-FC Edmonton taking a wait and see approach
-will be higher level than USL, lower than MLS
-will likely have different ownership groups to MLS teams
-ownership groups include NHL and CFL teams
So...

Whitecaps II
Calgary Foothills FC
Regina?
WSA Winnipeg
Hamilton?
TFC II
Ottawa Fury FC
Impact II

Has there been any interest shown from Thunder Bay? KW? London? All of these places already have football clubs currently in place.

Also, is the C-League going to be franchise-based or club-based? IE, a 10-team top tier and a 10-team second tier, for example, with relegation/promotion? It would certainly incentivize smaller teams from smaller areas to develop their local teams and allow for areas with less corporate support to slowly build it up over time. Football is absolutely about grassroots building.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Also, is the C-League going to be franchise-based or club-based? IE, a 10-team top tier and a 10-team second tier, for example, with relegation/promotion? It would certainly incentivize smaller teams from smaller areas to develop their local teams and allow for areas with less corporate support to slowly build it up over time. Football is absolutely about grassroots building.
I'm not sure, but I certainly hope it's the latter. I like the idea of well-run clubs from smaller locales getting a crack at the top flight, as well as teams from bigger cities being sent down when they are incompetent. It adds interest... for instance, this season in the Polish Ekstraklasa, there will be a club from the smallest town ever to be represented in top-tier European soccer, LKS Nieciecza from Nieciecza, Poland (population 750). If their team is that good, then by all means give them a shot. Remove some sclerotic perennial loser Polish soccer equivalent to the Toronto Maple Leafs and make way for a club that knows what it's doing.

But that said, it doesn't seem as though North American sports organizations are interested in that... the focus seems to be on monopolizing the top flight and neutralizing any perceived threats from external clubs and leagues given that it's the most profitable way of doing things. I wouldn't expect this league to be much different in that regard.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:39 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
So...

Whitecaps II
Calgary Foothills FC
Regina?
WSA Winnipeg
Hamilton?
TFC II
Ottawa Fury FC
Impact II

Has there been any interest shown from Thunder Bay? KW? London? All of these places already have football clubs currently in place.

Teams like TFC II, FC Montreal and Whitecaps 2 will not be part of the top flight. They are a step below, in the USL and they won't be competing in the Canadian Championship either as their respective main teams will be (Impact, Whitecaps, TFC) eligible. Haven't heard anything about promotion-relegation though it's technically feasible given the number of USL and PDL teams in this country already:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lubs_in_Canada

8 C-League teams (including a switched over Ottawa Fury, the likely Ottawa C-League team)
3 MLS teams
1 NASL team (which in all likelihood switch over to C-league eventually)

An 8-9 team national league to start and a 12 team national Championship, not too shabby. Quite respectable and plenty of room for future growth.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:47 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Teams like TFC II, FC Montreal and Whitecaps 2 will not be part of the top flight. They are a step below, in the USL and they won't be competing in the Canadian Championship either as their respective main teams will be (Impact, Whitecaps, TFC) eligible. No promotion-relegation necessary either, from what I understand.

8 C-League teams (including a switched over Ottawa Fury, the likely Ottawa C-League team)
3 MLS teams
1 NASL team (which in all likelihood switch over to C-league eventually)

An 8-9 team national league to start and a 12 team national Championship, not too shabby. Quite respectable and plenty of room for future growth.
It's great for the short-term but i'm focusing more on long-term. What makes people in Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver want to cheer for these C-League clubs when they already have MLS clubs?

If i'm going to Ottawa Fury matches in Ottawa i'd much prefer watching them play KW United, Thunder Bay Chill, and whomever else would like to have teams instead of fabricated newer teams in Toronto which may or may not have immediate support. Would a rivalry with a potential Kingston FC be great? Absolutely. Will it seem to happen in this system? Unlikely. It's like having people tell you what the rivalries will be rather than letting them grow organically over time.

On the flip side, if i'm in New Brunswick or out East, I wish it were possible for me to support my local soccer teams (Fundy United, PEI FC, whatever) so that they someday had the chance to play against the likes of TFC/Whitecaps/Impact outside of the Canadian C'ship in a League format. However, because we're North America, this will seemingly never happen.

Like, before today, was anyone aware that Yellowknife FC was actually a thing? And it'll never really be a great thing if they're not given the opportunity to rise/fall in a promotion/relegation system.

wikipedia

On this subject...the Canadian Challenge Cup will be held in Calgary in October and features the provincial winners of each of their respective Provincial Championships. Confirmed so far are EDC Burnaby, HUSA Saskatoon, Winnipeg Juventus, Fredericton Picaroons, Dartmouth United FC, PEI FC, and Yellowknife FC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_C...allenge_Trophy

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:54 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
It's great for the short-term but i'm focusing more on long-term. What makes people in Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver want to cheer for these C-League clubs when they already have MLS clubs?

If i'm going to Ottawa Fury matches in Ottawa i'd much prefer watching them play KW United, Thunder Bay Chill, and whomever else would like to have teams instead of fabricated newer teams in Toronto which may or may not have immediate support. Would a rivalry with a potential Kingston FC be great? Absolutely. Will it seem to happen in this system? Unlikely. It's like having people tell you what the rivalries will be rather than letting them grow organically over time.

On the flip side, if i'm in New Brunswick or out East, I wish it were possible for me to support my local soccer teams so that they someday had the chance to play against the likes of TFC/Whitecaps/Impact outside of the Canadian C'ship in a League format. However, because we're North America, this will seemingly never happen.
I updated my last post. I never heard anything about promotion-relegation since it's still early days yet (official announcement will come sometime in 2016 and official launch in Spring 2017). That being said, promotion-relegation is technically feasible. I'm neutral on the subject, though promotion-relegation may be a disincentive for financial investment in top flight soccer groups. Perhaps a hybrid approach may work, the top four PDL/USL/PLSQ/League1 teams can compete in the C-League while the full-on C-League franchises will be permanent fixtures of the Premiership.

Canadian Soccer News had a podcast with some updated info on the league, I never got around to listening to it. If anyone else listened to it perhaps they can chime in with fresh details.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'm neutral on the subject, though promotion-relegation may be a disincentive for financial investment in top flight soccer groups.
This was touched on in a recent post on BillSportsMaps, but if the financial investment isn't there to support individual teams then we shouldn't force it. Let it happen where it wants to. Let the strongly supported teams be strongly supported and let the weaker teams fade away.

I guess all i'm saying is that we don't need more teams, we just need to do a better job of organizing and supporting the teams that already exist in this country, and promotion/relegation system does a great job at weeding out those that are poorly run or frankly unimportant to whatever community they may be in.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Can't believe no one has posted this yet. Brooke Henderson, the 17-year old golf phenom from Canada just posted her first victory. 3rd youngest player to ever win a PGA event and she blew away the field.

This is also the first victory for a Canadian on the LPGA in 14 years. She could become Canada's first ever superstar in women's golf. Hope it happens for her.
My pick for Canadian female athlete of the year. Followed closely by Jennifer Jones!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 AM
Go Chiefs!

Felix Auger Aliassime continues to amaze me. Not only he become the youngest player EVER to be ranked in the top 800 at the age of 14 (a few weeks before his 15th birthday) after his performance at the Granby challenger but he is UNBEATEN in juniors ever since. Won a Grade 1 tournament (second highest junior level tournament) and currently qualified for the QF of another Grade 1 tournament on home soil (Repentigny) by beating the #26 ranked junior player. That's 9 consecutive wins since Granby.

He will participate in the US open junior starting next week. He celebrated his 15th birthday less than a month ago and he's already the 29th ranked junior player.

Also congrats to Raonic and Bouchard on their second round win today.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 1:18 AM
ハルウララ

Canada is 2-1 at FIBA Americas in Mexico City after defeating Venezuela tonight 82-62. A loss to Argentina and a crushing victory over Cuba preceded tonight's win. They've already qualified for the second round of the tournament. This tournament is being used as the qualification for Men's basketball for Rio 2016...If Canada finishes in the top 2 they qualify, and if Brazil finishes in the top 2 then a third place will suffice. The US is not competing as they won the 2014 FIBA Championship and automatically qualify.

IF Canada fails to finish in the top two (or three with Brazil) and finish fifth or higher they will qualify for the final Olympic Qualification tournament where they will play countries such as New Zealand, Angola, Tunisia, and Senegal to qualify for the Olympics.

IMO Canada should directly qualify via this tournament, but time will tell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_F...s_Championship

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 2:09 PM

Cute piece from TSN

The mystery of the Harold Ballard Trophy

The Ticats/Argos is one of the CFL's most storied rivalries, but for decades a mysterious trophy associated with the Battle of Ontario has flown under the radar. Rod Smith has more.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Cute piece from TSN

The mystery of the Harold Ballard Trophy

The Ticats/Argos is one of the CFL's most storied rivalries, but for decades a mysterious trophy associated with the Battle of Ontario has flown under the radar. Rod Smith has more.
Haha, I saw that on Sportscentre. I remember hearing about this trophy years ago, but I'm not surprised that it has languished in obscurity. It's hard to get excited about a trophy awarded for regular season games, especially one named for a notoriously greedy sociopath like Ballard. (How Pal Hal and Ted Rogers never went into business together I'll never understand, those two seem like they would have been peas in a pod. Fitting that Rogers is now a major owner of the Leafs.)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 9:52 PM

Any chance some of the C-League teams don't play in CFL stadiums? The atmosphere would certainly be better if they played in smaller football stadiums or baseball stadiums. The Winnipeg Fury played at 5000 seat University Stadium in the early 90's.

^^ This would look good in Winnipeg/Calgary

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 11:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The palm trees wouldn't survive......

Old Posted Sep 7, 2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
Any chance some of the C-League teams don't play in CFL stadiums? The atmosphere would certainly be better if they played in smaller football stadiums or baseball stadiums
^^ This would look good in Winnipeg/Calgary
If a soccer team was going to play in Winnipeg or Calgary it would be in the CFL stadiums. This may be a better atmosphere but you almost lose the baseball stadium when you do this. plus why would a soccer team pick a Frankenstein stadium over the lower bowl of IGF?

However This may be a good option for Edmonton FC. Telus field is Empty and it even lost it's naming rights. EFC has been on the prowl for a new stadium for quite some time They may be able to convince the city to breath new life into the down town river side stadium by converting it into a soccer venue It's about time the 20+ year old venue seen some love anyway, and I think baseball in Edmonton is done for the foreseeable future as no league will take Edmonton for geographical issues.

You can kind of see how a soccer pitch would actually fit in quite nicely if they added another grandstand. Telus field is more on a 90 degree angle than some ball parks

Last edited by Oilkountry; Sep 7, 2015 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2015, 1:31 AM

At IGF I noticed there is a lot of space behind the goals. Maybe they could move the pitch closer to one end of the stadium so the supporters could set up shop and be closer to the action.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2015, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
Any chance some of the C-League teams don't play in CFL stadiums? The atmosphere would certainly be better if they played in smaller football stadiums or baseball stadiums. The Winnipeg Fury played at 5000 seat University Stadium in the early 90's.
Interesting idea...I think having C-League teams play in some of the intimate minor league baseball venues could be better than playing in large football stadiums. What you lose in terms of slightly awkward layouts you more than make up for with much better intimacy and fan atmosphere, and in the case of Winnipeg, a much better location at Shaw Park downtown instead of IGF.

The only issue is I doubt many baseball teams would be interested given the damage that it would do to the playing surface. It would take quite a toll... any soccer teams interested in doing that would probably have to pony up a fair bit to fix the damage that soccer games would inflict.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada