HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 2:57 PM

Went by last night and there was a large drill on site

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:33 PM

Two excavators, two pile drivers and what looks like a drilling rig on site. However, I believe there will be underground parking so they probably aren't installing caissons.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 7:04 PM

I live around the corner from this and it looks like they are sinking supports for the shoring so they can dig out the parking levels.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I live around the corner from this and it looks like they are sinking supports for the shoring so they can dig out the parking levels.
Makes sense. There are definitely two pile drivers. One looks like a drilling rig used to bore out holes for the caissons, but it could just be a different type of pile driver. I went by in a cab so I didn't get the best look.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Makes sense. There are definitely two pile drivers. One looks like a drilling rig used to bore out holes for the caissons, but it could just be a different type of pile driver. I went by in a cab so I didn't get the best look.
Even with underground parking, they could still be installing caissons, couldn't they? I didn't think that below-grade floors necessarily obviated the need for foundation piers or caissons.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 10:38 PM

From today:

DSCF4038 by Music_Man84, on Flickr

DSCF4037 by Music_Man84, on Flickr

DSCF4036 by Music_Man84, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 1:45 PM
BANNED

Looking good.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:32 PM

I thought I had seen activity happening when I drove by here. I can't believe how fast this thing went from the drawing board to construction. It's been what? Less than a year since this was proposed to when site work started? Seems really fast.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortedWalrus View Post
I thought I had seen activity happening when I drove by here. I can't believe how fast this thing went from the drawing board to construction. It's been what? Less than a year since this was proposed to when site work started? Seems really fast.
Especially compared to many of the other projects that have been announced in last few years only to stall after the developer went public with the plans. I believe this was announced last spring.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 6:44 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Especially compared to many of the other projects that have been announced in last few years only to stall after the developer went public with the plans. I believe this was announced last spring.
They have boat loads of $$$ from tithes and donations, like in the billions. Also, their commercial businesses generate billions. Any projects that they bring forth and want to see it to fruition, they start writing checks.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 4:14 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Even with underground parking, they could still be installing caissons, couldn't they? I didn't think that below-grade floors necessarily obviated the need for foundation piers or caissons.
Well yes. But they would install caissons at the bottom of the excavation. The way the current pile-driving rig's been working, it's boring exclusively at the edge of the site. Which is why it being used to install shoring columns makes sense.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Well yes. But they would install caissons at the bottom of the excavation. The way the current pile-driving rig's been working, it's boring exclusively at the edge of the site. Which is why it being used to install shoring columns makes sense.
I was responding to what I thought was summers' questioning of whether there would be caissons at all given the underground parking:

Quote:
Two excavators, two pile drivers and what looks like a drilling rig on site. However, I believe there will be underground parking so they probably aren't installing caissons.
But now I see that he meant that they probably aren't installing caissons at this time.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I was responding to what I thought was summers' questioning of whether there would be caissons at all given the underground parking:

But now I see that he meant that they probably aren't installing caissons at this time.
Right now the rigs are drilling for soldier piles which will be used for sheeting and shoring similar to CCIT. They could still use caissons even if it has underground parking, look at CCIT as an example the hole is 50 ft deep and caissons were still installed. The reason they were installed on CCIT is to provide more shear resistance to prevent uplift from the wind load being applied to the building.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 10:04 PM

[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 12:32 AM

The anticipated completion date of the Temple isn't till Spring of 2016? Are they ahead of schedule? Seems like they could finish in less than a year plus.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
The anticipated completion date of the Temple isn't till Spring of 2016? Are they ahead of schedule? Seems like they could finish in less than a year plus.
That's for the meeting house (little red building between the Temple and 1601 Vine).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPhilly View Post
That's for the meeting house (little red building between the Temple and 1601 Vine).
Thanks, mPhilly. I was scratching me head wondering how completion of the Temple could possibly take till Spring 2016.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Thanks, mPhilly. I was scratching me head wondering how completion of the Temple could possibly take till Spring 2016.
I believe that the Temple and Meeting House will open somewhat simultaneously in Spring 2016....the Temple has substantial interior work with lots of intricate details....requiring the best of craftsmanship which takes time....

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 6:15 PM
BANNED

they are really moving on this one now.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 1:51 AM

Update from today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive