HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 12:06 AM

Hah! Just a metaphor. No malice intended towards Darcelle or any other persons past or present.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 6:33 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Journal of Commerce
"I think the fire station was a good project for a design competition," said John Heili, a partner at TVA Architects Inc. "But what we're seeing is that we need to be more realistic about the budget aspect. If we go for design excellence, there are costs that go along with that. It's not so much that the competition is the problem, it's being more realistic about the budget."
Yea, they should have gotten Ankrom or Otak to do the design work - I'm sure it would have been, you know, a lot cheaper.

======

On the other hand, there are going to be many, many future opportunities for design excellence in this city. Let's hope that one day in the future they resume doing competitions - and actually follow through with one, like on the Tram. Ironic, isn't it? The only other competition project that was follow through was the Portland Building by Michael Graves. =\

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 4:02 PM

^well, for massive projects. I really digged the Row House design competition, and can't wait to see what the courtyard housing competition comes up with. I'd just like to see more floor plans pre-approved so our row house infill can be a bit more urban.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 8:31 PM
A before E

I think if they stripped the building down to its barebones and rebuilt from there it could be something good for that area. But saying that knowing there is only about 9mil for the project means that all it will get is an upgrade to the structure and a fresh coat of paint....they would need that 22mil to do anything worth while. This is beyond safe, this is more of a do nothing tactic.

Yeah, I am not too excited about Potter when it comes for architecture achievements in this city. And I think the architecture that went into the tram is some of the best architecture this city has seen in a long time.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 4:33 PM

might I just mention...I'm so happy the search is back and better than before!

New leader's goal: a livelier Chinatown
Thursday, March 08, 2007
Fred Leeson
The Oregonian

When Dorian Yee talks about a "toothless smile," he isn't talking dentistry.

He's referring to streets in Old Town/Chinatown and what it takes to make the neighborhood more lively during daytime.

"There are too many gaps on our streets," says the first chairman of the recently formed Old Town/Chinatown Business Association. "Retail shoppers like continuity. We don't have enough destination sites to pull them in."

In a perfect world, Yee would like to see Old Town/Chinatown filled with interesting shops and a citywide awareness that crime in the city's oldest neighborhood is lower than it used to be -- and lower than in some other parts of Portland.

And he'd like to see tens of thousands of people turn out for family-friendly events on the two festival streets, as they did last September for the first Under the Autumn Moon festival.

But Yee, a Bank of the West branch manager whose office perches on the edge of Old Town, is a realist. "Some people want to start running," he says. "We have to crawl and then walk first. "

"He's the perfect guy," says Carol McCreary, vice president of the Old Town/Chinatown Neighborhood Association. "He's in touch with everyone."

McCreary says Yee moved his bank desk from a closed office to the front lobby. "He's the storefront," she says. "He's the guy with his eyes on the street all the time. He knows everybody."

The idea for a business association grew out of meetings last year aimed at updating neighborhood development plans. Yee, who volunteered for that chore, said housing advocates, social service agencies and the Old Town Chinatown Neighborhood Association realized nobody was championing business retention and recruitment.

A prior group, the Historic Old Town Business Association, imploded years ago. Yee and others decided to form a different type of association, with tightly focused goals and open to members from the nonprofit world, many of which reside in Old Town.

"What we have to do is learn to be compatible with each other," Yee says. "They face the same issues as for-profits. If there are problems, we need to talk about them. We can't create a sense of alienation."

The most visible role of the new association will be programming the festival streets, Northwest Davis and Flanders streets between Third and Fourth avenues, that are easily closed off for public events.

The Autumn Moon festival appears on its way to being an annual affair. The first one attracted about 35,000 visitors over a weekend.

Yee says the association is considering events such as pingpong tournaments and outdoor markets. Staging public events is a big chore. "We are not professional event planners," he says. Finding sponsors to front the costs will be essential.

Yee believes public events would help change Old Town/Chinatown's image as a neighborhood dominated by inebriates, drug users and the homeless. Successful events would also tell the city the $5 million urban renewal project that created the festival streets was worth it.

"We need to show a return on the investment," Yee says. "That's important."

Spoken like a banker.

Fred Leeson: 503-294-5946; fredleeson@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...941.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 4:52 PM

I think its great that OTCT is finally building an identity for itself. The entertainment district--sounds good

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 5:22 PM

Some decent Chinese food would bring me into Chinatown ... Unfortunately, you only get that when you actually have Chinese people living in the area. With the exception of Old Town Lofts and Pacific Tower, are there any places in Chinatown where people could live?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 9:17 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
I'm with you zilfondel...it has always been one of my favorite public buildings.
Except...it's not a public building! It's privately owned and seeks public subsidies to survive.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 9:18 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Some decent Chinese food would bring me into Chinatown ... Unfortunately, you only get that when you actually have Chinese people living in the area. With the exception of Old Town Lofts and Pacific Tower, are there any places in Chinatown where people could live?
Try Good Taste next door to the adult book store on 4th. They have the best dumplings and housemade noodles in the city--and it's impossible for two people to spend more than $20.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 9:43 PM

MC is privately owned? I don't think so. I think it is owned by the city or Metro. It is operated by the operators of the Rose Garden. Wrong?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx city-state
Try Good Taste next door to the adult book store on 4th. They have the best dumplings and housemade noodles in the city--and it's impossible for two people to spend more than $20.
I happen to dig the Egg Flower Soup at House of Louie, the Hot and Spicy soup is good too. I can't think of ever actually eating food there though. I had dim sum at some second floor place once too, it was almost as good as a place I ate in San Francisco.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 10:41 PM

Drop a Ranch 99 on that vacant monster of a surface parking lot on 4th and that area will boom.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 2:49 AM
Karma Police

Ranch 99?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 2:56 AM
Bears of antiquity

Chinese grocery store-- Safeway in Mandarin and Cantonese with english subtitles, really.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 3:07 AM

Fong Chong for dim sum - everett & 4th

Theres fairly decent chinese food in Chinatown like the ones mentioned but they are almost all hole-in-the-wall restaurants with all the atmosphere of a chain supermarket, not so much the place for a nice Chinese food dinner.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 3:09 AM
Karma Police

That would be cool, but there aren't that many people of Chinese, or Asian, descent living in the area to justify such a large Asian market. Unless you're talking about a destination market....

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 4:01 AM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
MC is privately owned? I don't think so. I think it is owned by the city or Metro.
Shit--you're right. It's owned by the city, but managed by a private company. Still, think of what a waste that building is on such great land. It could be a neighborhood that generates tax revenue, but instead it will continue to be an expense. I mean really--is it that important to keep? Is it really part of the fabric of our city? Not really.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 4:12 AM

↑ I think MC is important....I think eventually someone will come up with an idea which will work for the building and community. It is a good example of "International Design". IMO.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 5:29 AM
Well designed mixed use

Right--but what the hell would you do with a building like that?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 6:42 AM
Karma Police

^^^^How about a public market?
You've already got loading docks, easy access to transit and freeways, a concourse around the perimeter for food stalls (which could be opened up to the outside), plenty of restrooms, and a central area with seating for special events. There's plenty of space for restaurants above the concourse level. Add some high density housing and create an actual neighborhood around the MC with streets and shops and clubs, then presto, Rose Quarter is born.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland