HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:39 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa Police Service & Ottawa Police Services Board

Construction industry learns Ottawa police cancels tender for needed south-end station
In a message to members of the industry this week, the Ottawa Construction Association said the tender for the $100-million project has been cancelled.

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Apr 20, 2021 • 48 minutes ago • 3 minute read

Ottawa Police Service’s dream of a south-end campus is hitting a nightmare situation with wild increases in construction prices.

In a message to members of the industry this week, the Ottawa Construction Association said the tender for the $100-million project has been cancelled, chalking it up to the “turbulent” market that could put designers back to the drawing board.

Asked if the tender has been cancelled, an Ottawa police spokesperson didn’t indicate yes or no, but said a report on the project will be in front of the police services board on Monday.

PCL, which had subcontractors lined up to participate in the project, had been the top proponent identified during the contract competition. The company is bound by confidentialities involved in the bidding process, but PCL Ottawa’s VP and district manager Kevin Skinner noted Ottawa police were within their right to cancel the tender, and while the company is disappointed, it’s also understanding.

Ottawa police have been planning a new south-end station for about 15 years, but it wasn’t until 2018 that the police services board approved hiring Moriyama & Teshima and CS&P Architects for the architectural work. The two-phase project to create an Ottawa police south campus at 3505 Prince of Wales Dr., next to Carleton Lodge, had an approved budget of $118.23 million.

The COVID-19 pandemic hit Ottawa in March 2020, but Ottawa police continued to prequalify construction firms for the job. The tender for the first phase of construction was scheduled to be released in June 2020, but the police force delayed it because of the pandemic and a growing risk in pricing.

Still, the force released the tender to three prequalified bidders on Dec. 18 and it closed on Feb. 17. Talks with PCL and city officials lasted into April.

Earlier this month, members of the Ottawa Police Services board received a briefing on the south-facility project in a presentation that stressed the price increases for materials in the construction industry. Information about the project bidding was disclosed in a closed session of the police board’s finance committee meeting.

The new campus is meant to address several challenges facing the police force, including providing better coverage to the booming southern suburbs and replacing the Greenbank and Leitrim facilities scheduled for decommissioning by 2026. The Greenbank building was built in 1978, while the Leitrim facility on Bank Street dates back to 1953.

The south facility has been planned to have specialized units — marine dive and trails, traffic, tactical, mental health, canine, to name a handful — plus frontline police and criminal investigations. A collision reporting centre would be included, and eventually much of the police force’s administrative services would relocate to the south campus.

John deVries, president and general manager of the Ottawa Construction Association, said the police project is a lesson for buyers to understand the market conditions in which they’re taking bids on projects. It comes down to making sure their expectations for pricing line up with reality in the market, he said.

“They may be using historical numbers,” deVries said.

“We’ve got to get to the buyers and say we’re in a once-in-a-century situation here.”

deVries said the impacts to companies implementing protection measures for COVID-19 are becoming less of a budget problem compared to the escalating costs for construction materials.

deVries said industry members are also watching what will happen with the bidding for the super library construction on LeBreton Flats, a joint project between Ottawa Public Library and Library and Archives Canada.

The city recently unveiled the final design for the super library and it will soon be up for a construction contract competition. The National Capital Commission board of directors on Thursday will first be asked to sign off on the design. The pre-tender construction estimate is $192.9 million.

PCL is one of three companies pre-qualified for the super library tender. The others are EllisDon and Pomerleau.

jwilling@postemedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...th-end-station

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:57 PM

^ I'm sorry, $100M+ for a police station sounds ridiculous. I hope this is downsized.

And a parkade and staff parking sound like exceptional wastes of a waterfront property.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:08 PM

They should sell this property to a developer and build on cheaper lands, I'm sure this is worth a pretty penny!

Also, I work in the wholesale industry selling to construction, let me warn you that prices are exploding for all materials, its not just lumber

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:17 PM

Yes, why do the police need a sprawling station, away from the community, on the banks of the Rideau??? What a colossal waste of tax payers resources. Shouldn't a community police station be, i don't know, in the community?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:24 PM

I knew there were considerations for a new police station, but I didn't know they were this close to getting it built. I would have liked to be informed and see the renderings. No wonder there's no public trust in the Police, or the City.

But anyway, this is a ridiculous site for a police station. On a prime waterfront property, turning its back on the water. No access to transit, because God forbid that people with no cars have access to the police station, or worse yet, that police use public transit like the rest of us commoners.

Sell the property to a developer and build on a cheaper site, one with better public access.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:28 PM
National Capital Region

Here is the approved site plan for the police station
https://app.ottawa.ca/postingplans/a...appId=__BIMCT8

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I knew there were considerations for a new police station, but I didn't know they were this close to getting it built. I would have liked to be informed and see the renderings. No wonder there's no public trust in the Police, or the City.

But anyway, this is a ridiculous site for a police station. On a prime waterfront property, turning its back on the water. No access to transit, because God forbid that people with no cars have access to the police station, or worse yet, that police use public transit like the rest of us commoners.

Sell the property to a developer and build on a cheaper site, one with better public access.
There have been multiple press releases and statement about this project to the public.

The community for this project will be almost the entirety of Southern Ottawa not just barhaven.

As for location its land the city owns and it's near the intersection of two major arteries, though yeah probably could fund a portion of the station by selling the land to a dev

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post
Yes, why do the police need a sprawling station, away from the community, on the banks of the Rideau??? What a colossal waste of tax payers resources. Shouldn't a community police station be, i don't know, in the community?
I can't think of a better location for the South end than the one they have planned. It's right next to the bridge that connects Barrhaven and Riverside South, not far from the Southern terminus of the Trillium line, and geographically smack dab in the middle of the South end of the city. I don't think I understand your comment.

Last edited by Harley613; Apr 21, 2021 at 2:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:11 PM

For me, a better spot might be next to the fire station on Earl Armstrong and Spratt. Same advantages as the current lot (in terms of general road access), but in the community and on transit. We'd also wouldn't be building more parking on the river. That land might be reserved for something else, and if that's the case, any other empty lot along Earl Armstrong would work just as well.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I can't think of a better location for the South end than the one they have planned. It's right next to the bridge that connects Barrhaven and Riverside South, not far from the Southern terminus of the Trillium line, and geographically smack dab in the middle of the South end of the city. I don't think I understand your comment.
I can't tell if you're actually being serious. If you think placing a police station on a prime riverfront site that's not serviced by transit then I don't know what to tell you.

It seems that you are looking at this from a suburban car driver perspective. Many people that need the services of a police station are under-privilege and may not have access to a car, even in suburbia. There is no direct transit and it is 55 minute walk in each direction from the Trillium line. That is far from "not far" as you suggest. It's also not very accessible by foot unless you walk alongside an 80 km/h road.

A police station is not just a clubhouse for police to hangout in. It's supposed to service the community. It should be located in the community and be accessible by the community. Police aren't hanging around inside waiting for calls like a fire station, so being located on collector roads near bridges is not relevant. This is a terrible location for a police station, library, school, or any other city owned venue that is meant to service the community.

This city needs to stop building car centric developments and get out of the 1970's. This ain't it.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
I can't tell if you're actually being serious. If you think placing a police station on a prime riverfront site that's not serviced by transit then I don't know what to tell you.

It seems that you are looking at this from a suburban car driver perspective. Many people that need the services of a police station are under-privilege and may not have access to a car, even in suburbia. There is no direct transit and it is 55 minute walk in each direction from the Trillium line. That is far from "not far" as you suggest. It's also not very accessible by foot unless you walk alongside an 80 km/h road.

A police station is not just a clubhouse for police to hangout in. It's supposed to service the community. It should be located in the community and be accessible by the community. Police aren't hanging around inside waiting for calls like a fire station, so being located on collector roads near bridges is not relevant. This is a terrible location for a police station, library, school, or any other city owned venue that is meant to service the community.

This city needs to stop building car centric developments and get out of the 1970's. This ain't it.
Its 700 metres from a bus stop, yes that's not great but it's not 5km (which btw can be rectified)

Again the community is the entirety of Southern Ottawa not just Barhaven, so I really don't know what centre of the community you are speaking of.

Record checks and etc are done from 2670 service center, police reports can be done electronically. There are also community policing centres for other services.

For the most part this will be the service detachment office space, training centre and etc. Civilian interaction will be limited.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
Its 700 metres from a bus stop, yes that's not great but it's not 5km (which btw can be rectified)

Again the community is the entirety of Southern Ottawa not just Barhaven, so I really don't know what centre of the community you are speaking of.

Record checks and etc are done from 2670 service center, police reports can be done electronically. There are also community policing centres for other services.

For the most part this will be the service detachment office space, training centre and etc. Civilian interaction will be limited.
If it's an office building, it would be better located somewhere in the (mostly vacant) business park near the RCMP, where at least the parkade will not be on the banks of the river.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:

Yes it's obvious that civilian interaction will be limited as with any suburban detachment. But it is still a service that needs to be provided to the public.

So who does this location benefit? If you're a police officer you have to drive here. If you're a civilian employee you have to drive here. If you're an old lady wanting to make a statement you have to drive here. If you're a battered spouse escaping domestic abuse you have to drive here. If you're a lost kid you have to drive here. Alternatively you can walk along the side of a highway or take the few bus routes that come even close to here and then walk the last km.

You don't know what centre of the community I am speaking of? Well 85% of the population of Suburban South Ottawa is in Barrhaven/Riverside South, so that would be a good start. Anywhere off Standherd towards Barrhaven Centre along existing and future transit would be a better location. Somewhere that people can walk, bike, or take transit to. Not some fortress on the water. The money made selling the current site could finance 2 or 3 better sites than this. But let's build it on the side of a highway near no one? Great. Again, who does this location benefit? Who??

I'm thinking of providing a free crash-course on city building. It would go over the basics of city building, car-centric design, public transportation, 15 minute neighbourhoods, architecture, urban design, etc. I think many people on this forum should attend. Interested? It will help.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Yes it's obvious that civilian interaction will be limited as with any suburban detachment. But it is still a service that needs to be provided to the public.

So who does this location benefit? If you're a police officer you have to drive here. If you're a civilian employee you have to drive here. If you're an old lady wanting to make a statement you have to drive here. If you're a battered spouse escaping domestic abuse you have to drive here. If you're a lost kid you have to drive here. Alternatively you can walk along the side of a highway or take the few bus routes that come even close to here and then walk the last km.

You don't know what centre of the community I am speaking of? Well 85% of the population of Suburban South Ottawa is in Barrhaven/Riverside South, so that would be a good start. Anywhere off Standherd towards Barrhaven Centre along existing and future transit would be a better location. Somewhere that people can walk, bike, or take transit to. Not some fortress on the water. The money made selling the current site could finance 2 or 3 better sites than this. But let's build it on the side of a highway near no one? Great. Again, who does this location benefit? Who??

I'm thinking of providing a free crash-course on city building. It would go over the basics of city building, car-centric design, public transportation, 15 minute neighbourhoods, architecture, urban design, etc. I think many people on this forum should attend. Interested? It will help.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:01 PM

Quote:
For many, it might as well be 5km (wheel chair, walker, crutches, IBS...) If a bus route is added, it will likely have extremely limited service.

Quote:
Anywhere on Strandheard or Earl Armstrong would be fine, which is along the main east-west bus routes though the south-end communities.

Quote:

There is no City of Ottawa Service Centre in the south end, so the Police Station could easily include that missing piece for the fast growing south community.

Not everyone has internet or wants to use internet, so in-person service will continue to be important.

Office space and training centres should be served by transit. Good transit.

The idea that the Feds and City of Ottawa should build any new office building and/or service centre on transit should not be controversial. Doesn't have to be the O-Train, but at least "Rapid" or "Frequent" bus routes that offer good, all day service.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 8:28 PM

I may be mistaken, but isn't there a new town centre planned for the area surrounding the new trillium line?

I dunno, whenever I'm playing lego or with one of those car-mats for kids, there's a fire station, police station and grocery store on the same block, in the town centre...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
For many, it might as well be 5km (wheel chair, walker, crutches, IBS...) If a bus route is added, it will likely have extremely limited service.

Anywhere on Strandheard or Earl Armstrong would be fine, which is along the main east-west bus routes though the south-end communities.

There is no City of Ottawa Service Centre in the south end, so the Police Station could easily include that missing piece for the fast growing south community.

Not everyone has internet or wants to use internet, so in-person service will continue to be important.

Office space and training centres should be served by transit. Good transit.

The idea that the Feds and City of Ottawa should build any new office building and/or service centre on transit should not be controversial. Doesn't have to be the O-Train, but at least "Rapid" or "Frequent" bus routes that offer good, all day service.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 9:15 PM
National Capital Region

From the planning rationale

Although the site provides easy access
by car, it is currently under-served by
Public Transportation. OC Transpo bus
service does not run on Prince of Wales
Drive due to the 80km speed limit, making
bus stops hazardous to both vehicles
and disembarking pedestrians. Currently
the closest bus routes to service South
Facility have stops approx. 2km North
and 2km South of the site at Strandherd.
This provides a challenge to staff and
visitors arriving by Public Transportation.
OPS has opened a dialogue with OC
Transpo and confirmed OC Transpo has
no intent to expand service to the site.

In terms of rail service, the 2021 LRT
Trillium Line Extension will terminate
at the future Limebank Station located
approximately 3km east of the site,
providing additional travel options for
staff and visitors to the South Facility.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 9:16 PM

Wasn't Jan Harder on the Ottawa Police Services Board - co-incidence that they would build a taj mahal of police stations in her ward? Seems very overbuilt when considering other suburban police centres.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
I may be mistaken, but isn't there a new town centre planned for the area surrounding the new trillium line?

I dunno, whenever I'm playing lego or with one of those car-mats for kids, there's a fire station, police station and grocery store on the same block, in the town centre...
If this was placed where some are suggesting it would take the whole lot.

The area in question is I1A (since 2008), so rezoned would be required before sale, goodluck in that fight.

As for others there is a CPS at 100 Malvern drive, and probably what you should be fighting to get built in the "community". Instead of what amounts to Ottawa South police HQ. There is also one in manotick

https://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/conta...e-Centres.aspx

Look along as it has direct/quick access to multiple arterial roads the location would be fine, just think the hyperbole being spouted by more then a few of you is ridiculous.

Because seriously the site was picked in Aug of 2010 and it's not hard to look up CPS locations.

https://www.toronto.com/community-st...olice-station/

Edit: there is a bus stop at POW and strandherd, 700 metres it what I measured from intersection to intersection.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 9:41 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Edit: there is a bus stop at POW and strandherd, 700 metres it what I measured from intersection to intersection.
I think you are right and they mixed up feet and metres in the report lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy