HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:58 PM

Another reason a lot of people in Alberta cheer for the Canucks, is a lot of people here are from BC!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
You are really embarrassing yourself now.

Maclean's conducts a Canada-wide scientific survey revealing a reality that contradicts your subjective perceptions; therefore the scientific survey must be wrong! Is your hatred so strong that you won't let anything get between you and your wishful thinking? Not even science?

Sad, man, sad. It's good to see the majority of your fellow Albertans are not so pathetic and irrational.

There is no law against hating the Canucks; just stop trying to convince us (and yourself) that everyone feels the same. The cold hard facts are in: they don't. Get over it and move on.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MacLeans = [I]scientific survey[/I? Oh God that's hilarious.

Those Macleans rankings are a popularity contest, anybody who says the Leafs and Habs are the dirtiest team lose any and all credibility right away. It's obvious the Leafs are Canada's most hated team, it shows on here every day. But the dirtiest? Oh my that's a laugh.

The Canucks are the dirtiest team, as unsportsmanlike conduct counts as "dirty".

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
If they polled Flames/Oilers season ticket holders (probably the most hardcore hockey fans), they'd likely find that most are hoping the Canucks are dropped. On the other hand, people that have stopped paying as much attention are probably fine with the cup coming back to Western Canada.
Indeed.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:25 PM

I'm a Canucks fan, and I'm becoming increasingly sympathetic to those who dislike the team. Far too much time and effort is spent trying to draw penalties and get on the power play. I just wish Vigneault would yell at the team to leave it to the refs and stop complaining. They can turn this around and change the perception by just playing good solid hockey (they did last year during a couple of rounds before the Boston series). Game 1 was just difficult to watch.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:33 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post

The Canucks are the dirtiest team, as unsportsmanlike conduct counts as "dirty".
Let's examine the objective data:

The Canucks received seven unsportsmanlike conduct penalties this season. Compare that to the following NHL teams:

Philadelphia: 20
Minnesota: 11
Dallas: 11
Carolina: 11
NY Rangers: 9
Boston: 9
Pittsburgh: 9
New Jersey: 9
Columbus: 9
Los Angeles: 7
Anaheim: 7
Edmonton: 6
Montreal: 6
Ottawa: 6

Source: CBS Sports

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:47 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
They can turn this around and change the perception by just playing good solid hockey (they did last year during a couple of rounds before the Boston series). Game 1 was just difficult to watch.
The Kesler of game one was hilariously pathetic. The Kesler of last year's playoffs (especially the Nashville series) is a player that 29 other teams would love to have.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:50 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
The Canucks received 7 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties this season.

Compare that to the following NHL teams:

Philadelphia: 20
Minnesota: 11
Dallas: 11
Carolina: 11
NY Rangers: 9
Boston: 9
Pittsburgh: 9
New Jersey: 9
Columbus: 9
Los Angeles: 7
Anaheim: 7
Edmonton: 6
Montreal: 6
Ottawa: 6

No surprise at the top of the list. Until last year I really like the Flyers (Philly fans are another story), but I've yet to watch a game of theirs this season in which they didn't spend 60 minutes whining at the refs or other team. They're a damn good team, but their antics ruin it for me. Hartnell in particular is his team personified.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:06 PM
Reason and Freedom

Continuing with the objective data:

The Canucks received zero diving/embellishment penalties this season (the lowest in the league). Compare that to the following NHL teams:

Washington: 4
St. Louis: 3
Minnesota: 3
NY Islanders: 3
Dallas: 3
Calgary: 2
Winnipeg: 2
NY Rangers: 2
Pittsburgh: 2
Nashville: 2
Ottawa: 1
Boston: 1
Chicago: 1
Los Angeles: 1
San Jose: 1
Tampa Bay: 1
Phoenix: 1
Carolina: 1

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:13 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Let's examine the objective data:

The Canucks received seven unsportsmanlike conduct penalties this season.

Continuing with the objective data:

The Canucks received zero diving/embellishment penalties this season (the lowest in the league).
Errr.. perhaps you're missing the point here. People don't dislike the Canucks because they take too many penalties. People dislike the Canucks because they play just this side of dirty, and therefore RARELY GET PENALIZED FOR IT.

If anything, your "objective data" confirms what everyone here is saying.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:14 PM

Quote:
The Canucks received zero diving/embellishment penalties this season (the lowest in the league).
That's solid proof that they are experts at what they do.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:15 PM

People dislike the soccer-style antics of the Canucks players.

Here's another fine example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BeiaPPZZD2c

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:19 PM
Change is good

So macleans now is considered a better source for sports/nhl than TSN? Oh you've realized that's a failed attempt, so you bring back that diving calls stat which has already be debunked...

that hole you dig is getting deeper.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:24 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

That's solid proof that they are experts at what they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
So macleans now is considered a better source for sports/nhl than TSN? Oh you've realized that's a failed attempt, so you bring back that diving calls stat which has already be debunked...
Don't embarrass yourself in this way. Your subjective beliefs have been demonstrably refuted by the objective facts. Your last fig leaf has fallen. It's time you come to terms with reality.

It's tough, I know. But deal with it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:31 PM

Unfortunately diving is very rarely called, but surely, you are not actually going to be use your powers of mind control to tell us it doesn't exist multiple times per game despite the video evidence Now, every team does embellish at times, but last game it was comical! And the "payback" was Kesler getting the Unsportsmanlike penalty for the snow shower. Kerry Fraser's column is a good read, and he certainly doesn't hide the fact that refs look to call you for just about anything if you fool them with a dive once!

Anyways, Toronto would be worth hating if they actually did something. But it's hard to muster up the strength. They are the team that I'm sure everybody in Canada who is not a Leafs fan would NOT want to win the Cup. Could you imagine how long we'd be hearing about it!? We still know exactly what happened on May 2nd, 1967 for goodness sake despite most of the witnesses to it being dead.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:32 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Don't embarrass yourself. Your last fig leaf has fallen. It's time you come to terms with reality.

It's tough, I know. But deal with it.
If that's the case, can you at least provide anecdotal evidence that what the Canucks have done as demonstrated in the anecdotal videos (anecdotal videos in the plural that happen in the same game)? I think numbers are not doing your argument any good when you're not willing to find the laughably bad diving and embellishments on any of the other teams.

Right now, the Canucks are banking on powerplays to win their games, but as demonstrated in that first game, the team is going to look like a laughingstock as they do so.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:46 PM
DRINK

I'm sure you could dig up a stat and prove eurotrash soccer players get called less for diving than a typical NHL team....I suppose by Canuck fans logic because of that diving is not an epidemic in soccer and thus has been proven by scientific stats.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:14 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post

Unfortunately diving is very rarely called...:
Your attempt to explain away the objective data is illogical.

If diving is rarely called, then logically this applies to all teams, not just the Canucks. Indeed, the Canucks should be under even greater scrutiny and have even less leeway in the officials' eyes, if they have the reputation you claim. Thus, their penalties should be inflated, not under-called, relative to other teams. Yet the Canucks have no diving penalties while other teams have multiple calls. Over an 82-game schedule (i.e. a large sample size), this fact is statistically powerful and can't be explained away simply because it's inconvenient to your cherished narrative or clashes with your subjective belief.

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
If diving is rarely called, then logically this applies to all teams, not just the Canucks. Indeed, the Canucks should be under even greater scrutiny and have even less leeway in the officials eyes, if they have the reputation you claim. Thus, their penalties should be inflated, not under-called, relative to other teams. Yet the Canucks have no diving penalties while other teams have multiple calls. Over an 82-game schedule (i.e. a large sample size), this result is statistically powerful and can't be explained away simply because it's inconvenient to your cherished narrative and clashes with your subjective belief.
I just explained this, but you apparently chose to ignore it because it didn't fit your worldview.

The Canucks dive and embellish constantly - but just on this side of "legal" so that they don't get called as much on it. This is the exact reason people loathe them so much. They follow the letter of the law, but not the spirit.

Again, your "objective data" basically confirms this more than anything else. Here we have a team that the entire sporting world makes fun of due to their behaviour, yet they're not seeing the penalties for it. This is precisely why they're made fun of by everyone except Canucks homers. I mean seriously, what else do you see as the explanation? Everyone just suddenly decided to hate Vancouver because they were shutout in a game 7 final?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:46 PM
Editor

Watched the St Louis/SJ game. St Louis actually looked really good, but just couldn't capitalize. They looked alot better then I thought they would.

Also watched Phoenix/Chicago. Glad to see Phoenix pick up a win. Normally I wouldn't really route for them, but I hate to see a team be in the league as long as they have and never have won a playoff round.......

Actually if you include the Jets portion of that history, you have a team that has been around for 34 seasons and has come away with only two series wins in the entire history...both first round only.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:47 PM

I would love to see Phoenix win the cup, then next season fold or move to Quebec City.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada