HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Also, Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island. Sheer heaven.

aol
Yeah, Cathedral Grove is amazing to drive / walk through.

Meares Island will always take the cake for me (These giants are mostly Western Red Cedars).

(These two shots are from around 6 years ago...)

Big Cedar Tree, Meares Island by Ian, on Flickr

Big Red Cedar, Meares Island by Ian, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:04 PM
Fake News

Wow thanks for sharing those!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:21 PM
Fake News

Here's some pics from my trip to Vancouver island this summer.

Tree growing from a stump:

Me and a giant Douglas Fir at Cathedral Grove:

Tree roots Cathedral Grove:

Monkey Tree at Butchart Gardens:

Twisted tree near the Long Beach inn south of Tofino:

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Meares Island is unbelievable! However, I encountered a cougar on this island on my last visit (2002 or 2004...I used to vacation on Vancouver Island for a couple weeks of the year during the nineties and early 2000s).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:50 PM
Fake News

A different kind of old and interesting tree: the Cottonwoods of Dinosaur Provincial park in Alberta.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 10:39 PM

That cottonwood looks really cool. The size of the tree to amount of foliage ratio is so off.

The trees on Vancouver Island are bonkers. I did the Westcoast trail several years back and even for someone who grew up on the coast I was blown away. Makes you feel damn small.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 11:39 PM

I would call those Cottonwoods gnarly.

Yeah, I use to hunt for large trees on the BC coast, I even made it to the Elaho Giant before it died a few years ago in a fire.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 5:47 PM

Newest addition to our backyard. Bought this one for winter interest mainly but it looks quite nice year round IMO. It's a weeping white spruce (picea glauca pendula).

They are good for urban/suburban yards because they dont get wide but they do get quite tall (20 ft). Also I try to go with native plants and this particular one was discovered near Guelph, Ontario so that's a bonus.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 6:39 PM

Sumac always looks very tropical to me.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:42 AM

Also love sumac. They grow on many cliffs and steep hillsides in the southern interior. Their fall foliage is amazing.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:20 PM
HVAC guru

We made the decision last week to proceed with a solar array installation on the house. We're doing this for several reasons, the first being the opportunity to reduce our carbon footprint by producing enough electricity to become close to net zero, and the second to take advantage of $.85/ watt grants from the provincial government, and given the likelihood of the UCP getting in power next spring we're not sure if that program is going to be around much longer after that

We're installing 7.2 kW (7200 watts) worth of panels on the south and east faces of our low pitch roof (18 degrees), grid tied so we can feed back when producing more than we consume.

Installation should get going in a few weeks. Will post some photos once installation starts

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Also love sumac. They grow on many cliffs and steep hillsides in the southern interior. Their fall foliage is amazing.
They're soooo invasive though. That's why I dislike them; they're basically weeds. And yes, they turn ketchup red in the fall; I assume it's the same everywhere else? (I've noticed that there can be substantial fall color variation even within the same species.)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:20 PM

Yep, Ketchup red in BC interior too. They are nice because the coat many of the cliffs / steep hillsides. Looks amazing.

Okay, need some help. I have seen these trees in the warmer areas of Southern BC ever since I was a child, but have never been able to find them on any tree lists for BC. They seem large enough to not be considered a shrub.

They are most common on sandy sites in the Southern Interior Valleys (often close to rivers, but not always, sometimes in more urban areas, but not in a "planned" planted way), but I have also found groves on the BC Coast, particularly in the Fraser Valley.

The Fraser Canyon and Thompson Canyon seem to be a hot spot for them.

Here are some pics I took of a grove growing on a sandy beach / hillside at Bromley Rock Provincial Park located between Hedley and Princeton.

The bark and leaves are leaning me towards some type of willow or poplar??

Bromley Rock Shade Trees by Ian, on Flickr

Bromley Rock Beach by Ian, on Flickr

Bromley Rock Provincial Park by Ian, on Flickr

Bromley Rock Foliage by Ian, on Flickr

Bromley Rock Picnic by Ian, on Flickr

Any ideas??

Seems strange to me to never be listed in any tree book given their size and prominence at BC campsites!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Yep, Ketchup red in BC interior too. They are nice because the coat many of the cliffs / steep hillsides. Looks amazing.

Okay, need some help. I have seen these trees in the warmer areas of Southern BC ever since I was a child, but have never been able to find them on any tree lists for BC. They seem large enough to not be considered a shrub.

They are most common on sandy sites in the Southern Interior Valleys (often close to rivers, but not always, sometimes in more urban areas, but not in a "planned" planted way), but I have also found groves on the BC Coast, particularly in the Fraser Valley.

The Fraser Canyon and Thompson Canyon seem to be a hot spot for them.

Here are some pics I took of a grove growing on a sandy beach / hillside at Bromley Rock Provincial Park located between Hedley and Princeton.

The bark and leaves are leaning me towards some type of willow or poplar??

Any ideas??

Seems strange to me to never be listed in any tree book given their size and prominence at BC campsites!
Some sort of Elm maybe?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:51 AM

I've got my Trees of Canada book out and will try to figure out what type of tree that is. I'm assuming that it's a native tree.

Possibilities so far:

Arbutus ---not that as the photos are out of range

Sitka Mountain Ash (not this one as it doesn't grow that big)

Pacific Willow

Hooker Willow (they usually only grow to about 7m tall so I think this one is out)

I'm still looking and will edit this when I can figure it out. So far I'm thinking that it could be a type of willow.

Last edited by Loco101; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 1:14 AM

That's not an elm, aspen(poplar) or ash.

Actually those trees remind me a bit of the mesquite trees that are growing at my West Texas duplex (examples in the images below). If they're in the arid parts of the BC interior they might be a more or less distant relative of those trees; the growing conditions are likely much closer than to what we've got in the East.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 1:30 AM

So far I'm thinking that it could be Pacific Willow. But it's the leaves that are confusing me a bit. I'm looking at photos that show that the leaves can vary as some trees have more pointy leaves and others have smoother ones like in the close-up photo above. But the descriptions of the other parts of the tree seem to match. Some major clues are the criss-crossing in the bark on older trees and the yellow in the new-growth leaves.

I'm reading more and looking at photos and the Pacific Willow's leaves do in fact vary so my guess is:

the PACIFIC WILLOW

I've read that there are two subspecies of this tree in BC so maybe that's the reason for variations in the photos I looked at on various websites?

I used my Trees in Canada book and the following link about BC trees: http://www.bcnature.ca/wp-content/up.../Appendix2.pdf

But I'm not 100% sure.

Other possibilities:

Scouler's Willow

Sitka Willow

Hooker Willow

Last edited by Loco101; Sep 20, 2018 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:15 AM

The general shape (several trunks from the base, the way the limbs go...) does seem willow-y, and so would their favored waterside location.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:27 AM

Actually I looked at Metro-One's closer foliage pic again and it can't be a willow. Willows have alternate leaves; shape and size of leaves may vary but phyllotaxy does not. (I can't be 100% sure from that only pic though... do you have any more pics? Or do you remember the positioning of the leaves?)

(for the record, my suggestion of a distant relative to mesquite still stands - mesquite trees have opposed leaves though the more I look at that foliage pic, I see a couple pairs that seem alternate, though most pairs seem directly opposite. That kind of data is super helpful, BTW, so next time you're looking at a mystery tree, make sure you get a definitive answer.)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Any ideas??

Looks to me like the honey locust or black locust, but these trees' native ranges are too far removed from BC (they're in eastern/central north America with honey locust's Canadian range being only narrowly native to southern Ontario).

Unless they are introduced/planted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada