HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:32 PM
613er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Except for those carrying a conviction, I can't believe that anyone would answer "yes" to that question.
They make it clear that lying to them could put you in trouble, so there are probably quite a few people who admit they smoked cannabis in the past. At least that was my case (they even used a so-called “lie detector”) but I was also young and not aware of the potential consequences.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:36 PM

Well it makes a mockery of our border protection if the only correct course of action for people crossing is to lie. If the correct thing to do to is to lie about smoking weed (as I obviously would do, of course), then what else is it OK to lie about? Logically then, it's OK to lie about anything.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:28 AM
613er

This is pure nonsense imo. Half the population should not have to fear being banned from entering the US permanently because they smoked weed once or twice when they were teenagers. Things would quickly become ridiculous if everyone was honest about it. Even our PM would be denied entry to the US (and since he admitted publicly he smoked weed in the past, it’s hard to lie about it).

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, how does everyone feel about Justin's plan for a new statutory federal holiday - the National Day for Penitence, Reflection and Self Flagellation in Remembrance of the Cultural Genocide Committed Again the Aboriginal Nations of Canada???

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otta...ools-1.4786229

I don't know about you, but I imagine most people will use the day to go to the beach rather than participate in a healing circle or smudging ceremony of some form.........

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:44 AM
Kneel before Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So, how does everyone feel about Justin's plan for a new statutory federal holiday - the National Day for Penitence, Reflection and Self Flagellation in Remembrance of the Cultural Genocide Committed Again the Aboriginal Nations of Canada???

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otta...ools-1.4786229

I don't know about you, but I imagine most people will use the day to go to the beach rather than participate in a healing circle or smudging ceremony of some form.........
I guess setting aside a day to mark Canada's objectively terrible history of indigenous relations is a bad thing in your eye?

I understand you need to attack anything that gets done by Trudeau is an assault on all that is holy, but you're directly implying that no sort of reconciliation is a good idea. Not a great look.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I guess setting aside a day to mark Canada's objectively terrible history of indigenous relations is a bad thing in your eye?

I understand you need to attack anything that gets done by Trudeau is an assault on all that is holy, but you're directly implying that no sort of reconciliation is a good idea. Not a great look.
This is #reconciliation

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I never said that reconciliation is a bad thing. I just don't think having a mandatory federal holiday in perpetuity is the right way to go.

1) - Most people will simply be happy to have a day off and will ignore the reason for the holiday.
2) - How can we be sure that in 150 years we will still have a need for an annual day of remembrance in honour of our past mistakes?

I think the idea of a holiday is a "low hanging fruit" that JT thinks is easy to implement, and that most people will agree with (after all, who doesn't want another day off). I just think this is the wrong way to go about this. Holidays should be for celebrating a nation's accomplishments, not this.

The only ones who will be celebrating this "holiday" will be the aboriginal community and their SJW activist allies, and their celebrations will consist of marches and demonstrations. This wouldn't be much of a holiday for me. I think I would just end up heading for the country instead.........

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:03 AM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Any idea what the date will be?

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Allegedly, under consideration are June 21, which is observed in Canada as National Indigenous People's Day, and Sept. 30, observed as Orange Shirt Day. Given Canada's short summers, a May 24 sequel in June would likely go over well. Great weekend to enjoy a buck a beer. Trudeau's life experience in having a good time is finally benefiting his political career.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:19 AM
Haru Urara

I imagine children could learn more about the residential schools if they were actually in school for the day and taught on the subject instead of getting the day off.

The whole idea of reconciliation is one that is being covered enough in the Sir John A. thread, but in my eyes it'll never be enough regardless of how far we take it, and the constant virtue signalling by this government is growing tiresome.

I'm all for more stat holidays but I can't throw my support behind the reasoning of this one.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I never said that reconciliation is a bad thing. I just don't think having a mandatory federal holiday in perpetuity is the right way to go.

1) - Most people will simply be happy to have a day off and will ignore the reason for the holiday.
2) - How can we be sure that in 150 years we will still have a need for an annual day of remembrance in honour of our past mistakes?

I think the idea of a holiday is a "low hanging fruit" that JT thinks is easy to implement, and that most people will agree with (after all, who doesn't want another day off). I just think this is the wrong way to go about this. Holidays should be for celebrating a nation's accomplishments, not this.

The only ones who will be celebrating this "holiday" will be the aboriginal community and their SJW activist allies, and their celebrations will consist of marches and demonstrations. This wouldn't be much of a holiday for me. I think I would just end up heading for the country instead.........
I think an argument could be made that a federal holiday, along with memorial activities in cities and schools across the country along the lines of Remembrance Day, might have more impact.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:12 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I imagine children could learn more about the residential schools if they were actually in school for the day and taught on the subject instead of getting the day off.
How about this.

At present, there are roughly 250 work days per year.

By removing a work day, we will be decreasing Canada's GDP by 1/250 or by 0.4%.

Our GDP is a little over $1.5 trillion USD. O.4% of this is about $600 million dollars.

How about we work that day, and take that $600M USD ($790M CDN) and put it towards improving water quality and housing on isolated northern reserves.

I think this would truly be reconciliation in action, and would make us feel good about ourselves, rather than feel guilty all the time (which seems to be what the SJWs really want).

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:14 AM

Yeah I have no problem with the holiday. As I said in the John A. MacDonald thread, it doesn't matter if people don't sit around hating themselves all day on it. If just like remembrance day they wake up hungover on a Monday and go to McDonald's for breakfast at 11:00 am, realize for a split second that they're able to do so because of a day of remembrance for veterans/the unfortunate history of residential schools, that's more than enough.

Just keeping this negative history in mind, once a year, I think is good. It's good to be reminded that many social problems suffered in Native communities right now is partially Canada's doing, and that ongoing work is needed. I'd hate for people to just forget and say "screw all the Native programs! They've been helped enough. Into the real world!!" I think this holiday helps prevent that, without forcing people to dwell on it too long. As with my Remembrance Day example, who actually sits around and thinks about the wars? I know I don't. But it's a little reminder that overall, it's important.

Also as I said in the other thread, if this move helps make other Canada-oriented celebrations less shame/guilt-laden (like Canada Day) then that's a huge other bonus.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:18 AM

Important to note the holiday itself was recommended directly from the independant truth and reconciliation committee as a recommended course of action:

Quote:
We call upon the federal government, in collaboration with Aboriginal peoples, to establish, as a statutory holiday, a National Day for Truth and Reconciliation to honour Survivors, their families, and communities, and ensure that public commemoration of the history and legacy of residential schools remains a vital component of the reconciliation process.
Recommendation 80, page 13.

It isn't just a holiday for "Self Flagellation", but rather a day to recognise all of the above.

For people complaining we should do more with education, there were several education recommendations as part of the truth & reconciliation report - and those need to be addressed at the provincial level. This isn't a case where we have to make sophie's choice about which path to choose. We can walk and chew gum. We can do both. We can do all the recommendations from T&R.

Plenty of things to be angry with Trudeau about. This isn't one of them.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
September 30 is apparently a contender.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada