HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 1:05 AM

Midtown: A Place For Millennials To Eat, Play And Sleep

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/...medium=Browser

Quote:
...Midtown absorbed roughly 1,400 apartment units in the last year, which represents roughly 10% of all multifamily absorption in Houston during the same time period, according to JLL. Developers expect the demand to continue. JLL reports there are about 2,400 units under construction in Midtown to be completed by early 2021. ...
Realty News: Multifamily Occupancy Up Sharply in Downtown Houston

Quote:
Downtown Houston has more than 8,000 residents, up from 3,800 in 2012 when the city began its Downtown Living Initiative, according to a new report by the Central Houston organization.
Not necessarily corroborated by these articles, but it feels like the Main St spine has finally started filling in the huge gaps right along the rail (especially in Midtown).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:50 PM

They're still naming anonymous, drab, and boring buildings "Towne Centre 3" and "Energy Centre VI" ??

Sheeesh.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 4:15 PM
FYHA

Hanover River Oaks

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:45 AM
FYHA

Memorial Hermann TMC Expansion

From a distance - the cluster of cranes to the left...

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

Village of Southampton

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

Tradition Woodway

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:17 PM

Museum District: The Mondrian
93', 20 units, adjacent to Asia Society on Caroline St

Med Center: Memorial Hermann Expansion
u/c 3 years, 1.3 million sq feet, 380'

Med Center: Marriot Residence Inn
214', 16 floors, 7800 block of Kirby

Med Center: South Main Apartments at Holcombe
125'

Museum District: MFAH expansion, Kinder Building by Steven Holl

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:57 PM

Coca-Cola's 15-acre West U site drawing attention from mixed-use developers

Quote:
Well-known Houston mixed-use developers are showing "incredible" interest in a site that Dallas-based Coca-Cola Southwest Beverages recently listed on the market, according to the brokers marketing the property.

Coca-Cola is selling six of its seven Houston industrial and warehouse facilities and will consolidate its Bayou City operations into a 1 million-square-foot facility in north Houston in 2020. CBRE’s Brendan Lynch, Darin Gosda and Glynn Mireles are marketing the properties on behalf of Coca-Cola.

Lynch and Gosda are marketing the company's largest and most competitively positioned property: a 15.58-acre site and warehouse property at 2800 Bissonnet in the West University Place neighborhood. It's drawn interest from developers that'll likely transform the site into a vertical mixed-use development, Lynch said, and should sell near the end of 2018 or the first quarter of 2019.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Aug 15, 2018 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:26 AM

I know this Bissonnet location very well. I've stayed at the adjacent Marriott many times, and have often wondered when that out-of-place, ugly warehouse development would be sold and razed. It's about time. Can't wait to see something nice go up on that tract.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:35 PM

W Hotel proposal for downtown Houston set for vote

Quote:
Houston First Corp. is set to vote Aug. 16 on a proposal to bring a highly anticipated W Hotel to downtown Houston, according to a press release.

It would be the city’s first location of the contemporary W Hotels & Resorts brand, owned by Maryland-based Marriott International Inc. (Nasdaq: MAR), and the third in Texas.

If approved by Houston First, the plan would move to the Houston City Council for a final vote. The plan calls for developer Texas Hospitality Partners to build the hotel atop Partnership Tower, which houses Houston First, the Greater Houston Partnership and other organizations. THP would not use taxpayer dollars for the $120 million project, per the release.

The project is expected to create more than 745 construction jobs, though more information about the construction was not specified in the release. The hotel would have more than 300 rooms, create at least 275 jobs and potentially create $3.4 billion in direct overall revenue to the city of Houston, Houston First and other local government, per the release.

The 10-story Partnership Tower, at 701 Avenida De Las Americas near the George R. Brown Convention Center, was unveiled in October 2016 and was designed to accommodate additional floors for a hotel in the future. News of the W Hotel proposal first broke in February, and it found support from residents and business leaders seeking more high-end hotel inventory in Houston.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:15 PM

W Hotel deal proposed for downtown Houston goes to a vote

https://www.chron.com/business/real-...s-13159444.php

Photo: Texas Hospitality Partners

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:29 PM

I'm sure they could've come up with a better design for this...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
I'm sure they could've come up with a better design for this...
Yes, there is not too much creativity in that rectangle but 300 more rooms near the convention center is great.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:09 AM
downtown houston

^^^ finally, my W dreams are forthcoming for HOUSTON...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:13 AM
FYHA

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/08/16/proposal-for-w-hotel-in-houston-advances.html

Quote:
Proposal for W Hotel in Houston advances

By Olivia Pulsinelli – Senior web editor, Houston Business Journal
5 hours ago

Houston First Corp. has taken the next step in advancing a proposal to bring a W Hotel to downtown Houston.

The organization’s board voted Aug. 16 to execute a letter of intent to negotiate final documents for the deal, said Holly Clapham, chief marketing officer for Houston First. The final documents are expected to be presented to the Houston First board sometime in December, at which point the board will vote on whether to advance them to Houston City Council for final approval.

Houston First will negotiate the main deal, but City Council has to authorize any potential incentives, Clapham noted.

The plan calls for developer Texas Hospitality Partners to build the W Hotel atop Partnership Tower, which houses Houston First, the Greater Houston Partnership and other organizations. The project is expected to create more than 745 construction jobs, and the hotel would employ at least 275 people, according to a press release. THP would not use taxpayer dollars for the $120 million project.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 5:44 AM
FYHA

Hanover River Oaks

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 3:10 PM
FYHA

http://swamplot.com/a-curtain-call-f...it/2018-08-15/

Quote:
A CURTAIN CALL FOR THE HIDDEN WESTERN UNION BUILDING BEFORE BANK OF AMERICA CENTER DIGESTS IT?

08/15/18 10:15am
by Dan Singer

With workers now punching holes in the facade where the Bank of America Center wraps the dead Western Union building it swallowed in 1983, city planner David Welch asks the question: “Will we be able to see the hidden building during construction?” It should be hard to miss; according to one Swamplot reader: “It is completely intact, tar and gravel roof included.” Size-wise, it takes up nearly a quarter of the B of A building’s ground floor, its northeast corner wrapped by the skyscraper’s own at Lousiana and Capitol streets — where the new openings are taking shape now. But its emergence may be brief: Once the planned new restaurant and cafe get situated inside it, the structure’s time-capsule mystique will be gone. And after new interior entrances open its innards to the tower’s own central lobby corridor, the telegram building will be completely metabolized.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 12:38 AM
FYHA

Camden Downtown Houston

c/o 'jmitch94' on HAIF

The Midtown

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

3300 Main

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

Hanover BLVD Place

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

Latitude/Intercontinental Hotel TMC (far left towers)

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

Residence Inn TMC/NRG Park

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

Blossom Hotel

c/o 'OkieEric' on HAIF

South Main Apartments

c/o 'ekdrm2d1' on HAIF

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 5:13 AM
Back from the dead

Hey guys, sorry to post this here but I couldn't find a more appropriate place.

I'm hoping you can help me answer a question. Basically it's this: How is it that a city that's been booming for so long and that has so much construction throughout the entire region hasn't really beefed up its already impressive skyline? I know that some of you are going to take umbrage with this question but it's actually a compliment if you think about it. I would have expected a city like Houston to have several supertalls either recently built or under construction but the tallest and most impressive thing I see is 609 Main.

It seems that Houston maniacally boomed in the 80's with downtown construction and since then it's all been much smaller scale in the core. Why? Is there some bylaw in place that has stymied construction? Something else?

Again, sorry to put this here but I'm totally perplexed and have been for a while now. Curiosity got the better of me though, so here we are.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

I'm hoping you can help me answer a question. Basically it's this: How is it that a city that's been booming for so long and that has so much construction throughout the entire region hasn't really beefed up its already impressive skyline? I know that some of you are going to take umbrage with this question but it's actually a compliment if you think about it. I would have expected a city like Houston to have several supertalls either recently built or under construction but the tallest and most impressive thing I see is 609 Main.

It seems that Houston maniacally boomed in the 80's with downtown construction and since then it's all been much smaller scale in the core. Why? Is there some bylaw in place that has stymied construction? Something else?

Again, sorry to put this here but I'm totally perplexed and have been for a while now. Curiosity got the better of me though, so here we are.
The oil crash of the 80's hit Houston ... HARD.

Houston's growth has always been less centralized than other cities.

The skyline is beefing up of late. And it's more vibrant than it's been in decades.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

Thanks for the question. Yes some will say the 80s crash hit us... which it did and hard. I think the answer can be found in the fact that there is no zoning.

This means that you can build a building with 250K sq ft somewhere out on beltway 8 instead of downtown. As a result, we have tonnes of smaller buildings out in the middle of nowhere... instead of downtown or midtown.

So when the supply of office space is spread out and most companies don't need 1million sq ft of contiguous office space... this means that large skyscrapers in downtown are few and far between.

Look around... imagine of all those laughable "city centre IV" and "energy centre XV" buildings didn't exist... or couldn't exist (aka zoning). Their office space would still make it to the market in the form of a large skyscraper in downtown.

QED.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 10:51 PM

Arguably, cities like Houston and Dallas are the future of America.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations