HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 2:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

When I stay late for work and drive back home on the Linc it's now bumper to bumper traffic on the Linc from Meadowlands area until Upper James, it was never like that before. The city has now put up QEW signs on the Linc.

I say within a decade the city will have to end up adding another lane on the Linc for each direction.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 4:07 PM

I can see Centennial as a prime spot to introduce higher-order dedicated transit. It could be dubbed as HSR's C-Line. I see it starting from a terminal at QEW and Centennial with a parking area as part of (or instead of) the proposed Power Centre site. It would head south along Centennial Parkway to Mud Street, then turn at Mud to head west via Mud/Stone Church to Upper James, continuing on to Meadowlands, where it would have another terminal/parking area with access to the 403. It can have transfer nodes at Eastgate Square to connect to B-Line, at Mud and Centennial for (future) local routes, and at Stone Church and Upper James to connect to the A-Line. Intermediate stops could be at Barton & Centennial (connection to 2), King & Centennial (5, 58), Mud and & First(43), Paramount & Winterberry (43, 11), then stops along Stone Church at Nebo (22,43), Upper Gage (23, 24, 43), Upper Wentworth (25, 26, 43), Upper James (27, 35, 43), and Upper Paradise (34, 43).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 4:13 PM
Closed account

Good idea, mark... but I think it would better service Rymal... make it a part of the Rymal Route.
(Up Centennial to Rymal, across to Meadowlands via Garner Rd).

The 43 already covers Stonechurch, and we currently don't havea Rymal route. So the rest is great, I just think Rymal needs service 1st and foremore.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
Good idea, mark... but I think it would better service Rymal... make it a part of the Rymal Route.
(Up Centennial to Rymal, across to Meadowlands via Garner Rd).

The 43 already covers Stonechurch, and we currently don't havea Rymal route. So the rest is great, I just think Rymal needs service 1st and foremore.
I like the idea of a “C-Line”. Since the city will soon have a Rymal line from Ancaster to Centennial (Just approved over the next two years), I think the “C-Line” should start in Binbrook with its large growth out there and continue to the QEW. It can connect to the Rymal, Mud Street, King, Queenston and the “B-Line”, Barton and the Waterfront. Put a large free parking lot at the south end of Binbrook and a small local bus for at least the rush hours that does a loop around town and you should be able to get people out of their cars. If they could get a GO Bus service to the bus terminal at Eastgate right know, it would be even better.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 6:04 PM
Closed account

^^ That's a great idea, too.
No doubt Binbrook needs service ASAP! It's actually full of young families, not just old farmers like it used to be. So that route would make more sense.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hammer'd

I'm not sure if a dedicated corridor needs to be set up, but I do agree some kind of year round service needs to be implemented along Centennial. Apparently the City isn't realizing that growth out here in the East end is just as rapid as anywhere on the mountain or Ancaster and that the traffic is starting to reflect this. Once all that power centre crap goes up, up the hill along Hwy. 20, we're gonna need a way to get up there that doesn't involve finding someone with a car.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:15 PM
Closed account

^^ Once it goes up? Dude, the "commercial" aspect of Meadowlands East aka Summit Park is almost done. WalMart, Canadian Tire, Fortinos, LCBO, rows of smaller retailers & restaurants. It's already there... yet not ONE bus route to the area. Closest is the Stonechurch (43) which stops at Highbury&Whitedeer or Highland&Highbury.
AND it's not like you can WALK to these shops... there are no sidewalks along 53 OR 20!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 4:37 AM
It's Hammer Time

Lowe's Opens Doors
Dec, 10 2007 - 6:30 PM

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - 170 new jobs in Hamilton's east end.

Home improvement chain Lowes opened its first three Canadian outlets on Monday, one of them at Barton and Woodward.

The others are in Brantford and Brampton.

Lowe's Canada President Don Stallings admits the nearby Red Hill Parkway was a factor in choosing the location.

He calls economic development..."critically important in every store that they pick".

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
Hammer'd

It's a really nice store. I pass it every time I walk to the bus. It's quite tasteful for a big box. I have yet to go in yet but I'm sure it's gonna be quite competitive and will lure loads of people away from Home Depot. Especially people in the rest of the lower city who have to drive so far to get to HD.

Back to the topic however, I actually saw the Red Hill gridlocked about a week ago on a Thursday or Friday night. Traffic was crawling from Barton southbound along the parkway. The Northbound was also seeing a steady stream of traffic. The line of cars trying to get onto the parkway from Barton was backed up all the way to Woodward.

Well you may be against the Parkway but you can't say it isn't getting used.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 11:52 AM

A mistake they made was not having a ramp from the Red Hill to Centennial Pkwy. People trying to access the lower part of Centennial are using Barton Street.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 2:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
A mistake they made was not having a ramp from the Red Hill to Centennial Pkwy. People trying to access the lower part of Centennial are using Barton Street.
Barton is usually backed up coming from the West side of the Pkwy. I've noticed that Queenston West of Nash is getting pretty congested, too. I think it's b/c the whole "intersection" to get onto the Pkwy is really confusing. The lights don't help out much either.
This is pretty frustrating as a public transit rider as I take the Beeline to/from work everyday and I have to wait an extra 5 mins just to pass over the Pkwy (only in the evening tho).

On the bright side, Centennial seems to be practically clear of traffic. I used to walk faster than the cars while walking up, now they're zooming by me. I'm sure businesses on Centennial are p/o'd!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:05 PM
Closed account

gee, traffic congestion is on the rise near the highway. who knew??

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:21 PM
It's Hammer Time

There's traffic congestion up on the Linc as well. More and more cars, especially trucks are using the Linc and so it all jams up from the 403 exit ramp to the Linc (Meadowlands area) and usually doesn't break up until you pass Upper James.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:34 PM

Hello all SSP people, I've been lurking for a while now and thought I would start joining in on your discussions.

My observations so far about Red Hill:

Morning rush hour where the Linc meets the 403 has improved greatly. Not sure if its because of the natural christmas slowdown or because of RHVP. I'll let you know after the holidays.

Going home at night I drive from ancaster along the linc to Upper James and then down to the Blakely, St Clair, Gage park neighborhood. I've noticed lately that traffic around the Upper james exit is getting more congested than before.

My brother in law lives on Woodward Ave. Trucks and highway traffic heading towards Toronto get off at Barton, head west to woodward and get on the QEW Toronto there. They obviously hate it and can't wait for the Toronto bound ramp to finish. Even still I expect they will forever have to deal with increased traffic on barton and woodward.

It's still too early to pin down all the pros and cons of the new highway. There really should be a study done that documents all of these effects, if only for curiosity sake.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:45 PM

Welcome to the forum BrianE

The full traffic ramifications of the highway will not be known for several years. I have noticed a lot of traffic counting devices around the city lately though, so they are studying it.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 1:17 PM
Closed account

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - The Hamilton Catholic School Board is blaming the city for dust build up in Bishop Ryan High School, and is demanding compensation for the clean up.

The board says construction from the Red Hill Valley Parkway led to an influx of dust in the school's ventilation system.

It says the clean up is being done over the holiday's, and it wants the city to pay the 106-thousand dollar cost.

http://900chml.com/news/news_local.c...news_local.cfm

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 6:37 PM
Closed account

Now is where we see which citizens of Hamilton are considered 'more important' by council. Those who use a car or those who use transit?

CATCH News – January 2, 2008
Who will pay to operate the expressway?

In the wake of the fight about bus fare hikes, councillors are facing another difficult budget decision: how to pay the operating costs of the recently-opened Red Hill Creek Parkway. Having just decided that rising transit costs must be borne by its users in the form of higher fares, it’s unclear if they will apply the same logic to the annual costs of the new parkway.
In the end of November debate on the transit budget some councillors argued that tax increases should cover at least part of the $1.8 million needed by the HSR, but most of their colleagues rejected that viewpoint, contending that taxes are already too high.
The annual operating bill for the 8 km valley parkway is $2.65 million – one of the larger budget pressures that are threatening to push up property taxes by 6 percent or more. The idea of tolling the new road was investigated in 2004.
Staff and consultants calculated that net tolling revenues after paying the costs of the tolling equipment would be about $14 million per year if applied to the valley roadway at a rate of 10 cents a kilometre. Tolling the 12 km Linc would significantly increase this revenue stream.
By comparison, the 407 toll rates <http://www.thestar.com/News/article/289441> this year are 18 cents a kilometre for off-peak periods and 19.25 cents for peak periods. But even at the 407 rates, a trip down the valley parkway would be nearly a dollar cheaper than the new HSR fares.
Debt servicing for the combined Linc and valley expressways in 2008 will cost $8.2 million and rise to $9.2 million next year. These payments are currently coming out of the general property tax levy.
The 2004 staff recommendation to seek provincial approval of tolling was sidestepped by councillors who instead decided to repeat their demand that the province provide more money for the valley roadway. That appeal was unsuccessful and the provincial subsidy has remained at about 60 percent of the $357 million project cost.
Most Hamiltonians have access to a car to make use of the new highway. But one out of every six households in Hamilton doesn’t own a vehicle according to the comprehensive 2001 Transportation Tomorrow Survey <http://www.jpint.utoronto.ca/ward01/hamilton_wards.pdf> . In the downtown ward 2 area nearly four in ten don’t have a car, and in the adjacent ward 3 the figure is almost three in ten. Those are also the areas recording the highest HSR use.
At the other extreme, 44 percent of Hamilton households had at least two vehicles in 2001. That ranged from 38 percent in wards 4 and 6 to over 75 percent in Ancaster and Flamborough. The latter community has no HSR service, although that’s scheduled to change this year.
Taxation for the HSR is area rated <http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/EAF88E4C-D944-4E36-AA72-EE07BC63A37C/0/038_2007_Residential_general_and_area_specific_rates_by_community.pdf> which means that suburban areas pay less than residents of the former city of Hamilton. In 2007 the latter paid a .087 percent tax rate. Ancaster stood at .018 percent, Dundas at .021 percent, and Stoney Creek at .026 percent. Most of Glanbrook and all of Flamborough were not taxed for HSR service last year, although that will change for the Waterdown area in 2008.
City treasurer Joe Rinaldo told councillors in November that charging the extra $1.8 million in HSR costs to the tax levy would have raised taxes by up to $12 per household. The fare increases approved instead added $96 a year to each adult pass and $84 to high school and elementary student passes.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 7:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

Tolling the Red Hill would be a bad idea. If there must be a toll place the tolls on Main and King Street instead. The Red Hill was built to help reduce traffic on city roads.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:21 PM
Closed account

Main and King??
How about Upper James and Rymal instead? it would be impossible to pull that one off without upsetting people who live in those areas.
Highways make more sense for tolls.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ The point is placing tolls on Red Hill or the Linc would be a stupid idea as cars and trucks will go back on Main, King Street and Centennial Parkway, therefore making the whole idea of building the Red Hill a complete waste.

Put up congestion charges on Main or King if you must.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure