HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:31 PM

Centre Vidéotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
All pics by Pierre-Alexandre Garneau

Huge bronze sculpture called La Rencontre (The Meeting) unveiled last summer near the new arena.

Place Jean Béliveau by Pierre-Alexandre Garneau, sur Flickr

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:35 PM

^ That is about as beautiful setting as I've ever seen for a suburban arena. Very nice.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:30 PM

It's a nice setting and that side of the arena looks decent because there's a lot of glass, which means less siding. The other angles of the arena - not so much.

Too bad it'll be a while before an NHL team calls it home.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:31 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That is about as beautiful setting as I've ever seen for a suburban arena. Very nice.
Agreed.
I love the sculpture too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 11:42 PM

Nice photo of Centre Videotron!

However, the white Deer in the sculpture reminds me of a white Elephant.

I hope Quebec City gets an NHL hockey team.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 12:05 AM
ハルウララ

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2018...s-grounds.html

Councillors approve temporary stadium for Wanderers Grounds
Sports & Entertainment Atlantic will host its first event at the 6,500-seat stadium in June: A rugby match between Team Canada and Team U.S.A.

By ZANE WOODFORD
StarMetro Halifax
Wed., April 25, 2018

HALIFAX—The stadium dream in Halifax is finally coming true.

Sorry (American) football fans, not that one.

Halifax regional council voted unanimously Tuesday to sign an agreement with Sports & Entertainment Atlantic (SEA) to allow the company to build a temporary stadium on the Wanderers Grounds, next to Citadel Hill.

SEA pitched the idea to HRM last year as part of its plan to bring a professional soccer team to the municipality as part of the fledgling Canadian Premier League (CPL).

Council approved a motion last June to sign an agreement with SEA to build the stadium to host soccer games, but because of delays in the start-up of the CPL, the terms needed to be changed.

The CPL is scheduled to start its first season in Spring 2019 instead of 2018, and there’s still no guarantee of a Halifax team yet. But SEA wants to host a series of eight rugby, soccer and football games in a 6,500-seat stadium on the Wanderers Grounds this summer and fall.

The first of those is the June test match between Team Canada and Team U.S.A., announced earlier this month.

The new agreement approved by council allows SEA to host those eight events in the stadium this summer.

“The 2018 agreement would provide both HRM and SEA with a ‘test year’ to evaluate the stadium and the events hosted, including both the positive and negative aspects,” a staff report to council said.

If the first year is successful and SEA is able to secure a soccer team for Halifax, HRM and SEA would sign another agreement for three years.

SEA will have to pay the municipality $1,200 every time it hosts an event on the site, and the municipality will review that number after the first year.

The municipality will “maintain direct control and management of the facility,” and still be able to rent out the Wanderers Grounds to other groups, either at or below market value. Other groups will be able to use the stadium amenities too, but SEA will get priority for booking the field for CPL games.

The agreement allows SEA to “operate temporary structures on the site for concessions purposes, including alcohol sales,” but all events will have to be over by 11 p.m. and for the first year, SEA isn’t allowed to use the stadium for concerts.

The agreement includes a requirement that the “visual impact of the seating along Summer and Sackville Streets be addressed by means such as scale and appearance,” and SEA has to “minimize impact on surrounding land uses, including parking, hospital and residential uses.”

As it is a temporary stadium, the seating will have to be removed at the end of each season.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Sorry (American) football fans, not that one.
Leave it to the Star's unique brand of debased journalism to classify the CFL as American football. Nevertheless, good news for Halifax. Not sure I see the logic of removing the stadium for winter, though. And hopefully going forward we see more than metal bleachers and some tents a la Ontario Soccer Centre for TFC2.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
Leave it to the Star's unique brand of debased journalism to classify the CFL as American football. Nevertheless, good news for Halifax. Not sure I see the logic of removing the stadium for winter, though. And hopefully going forward we see more than metal bleachers and some tents a la Ontario Soccer Centre for TFC2.
TFC2 ....The Guy who named that team didn't happen to be the same guy that designed the Japanese flag was he?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 4:56 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
Leave it to the Star's unique brand of debased journalism to classify the CFL as American football.
Was about to say the same thing. Sadly, I bet there are lots of people in Canada who assume it to be precisely that.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 12:55 PM

BMO to get a hybrid type field down the road?

GrassMaster is a hybrid grass sports playing field surface composed of natural grass combined with artificial fibres. It was developed and patented by Desso Sports in 1993. This hybrid grass system is now developed by Tarkett Sports after a takeover of Desso Sports and has been rebranded since as GrassMaster.

Toronto FC tired of playing on ‘cow pasture’, installing new grass surface at BMO Field
Neil Davidson, Canadian Press May 5, 2018

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 1:26 AM
ハルウララ

Spruce Meadows to prepare stadium for new professional soccer squad

Sammy Hudes
Published:
May 6, 2018

Renovations to existing facilities at Spruce Meadows will make way for a 5,000- to 7,000-seat soccer stadium next year, spokesperson Ian Allison confirmed Sunday.

A group from Calgary was approved for professional club membership by Soccer Canada on Saturday, paving the way for them to potentially join the Canadian Premier League. The league is set to debut as a professional men’s soccer league in the spring of 2019, and will serve as a Tier 1 league.

Allison said the stadium renovation would be financed by Spruce Meadows.

“The club will (be) commencing in 2019, be playing out of Spruce Meadows and will be owned by Spruce Meadows Sports and Entertainment,” Allison said. “We have existing facilities that will be modified, I would say. It would be renovations to bring a very unique and distinctive ambiance to the game.”

Allison said an announcement will be made later on this month, when further details about the project will be revealed. He said FIFA regulators have been at Spruce Meadows to inspect the site in advance of the renovations.

Clubs from Halifax, Port City, B.C., and York Region, Ont., also got the seal of approval at Soccer Canada’s annual general meeting this weekend in Yellowknife.

The Canadian Premier League was approved for league membership with Soccer Canada last year, along with clubs in Hamilton and Winnipeg.

“We’re very excited about it. If you were to look back at the Spruce Meadows story in 1975, a lot of the reasons that are compelling for us to do this were the same for our founding sport, show jumping,” said Allison.

“At that time, there was no place for Canadians to find a pathway to the top of the sport. We hadn’t posted very many top results internationally.

“When we look at where we are right now as a soccer culture, well we’re one of the top 10 nations in the world with respect to licensed merchandise and TV viewership and buying tickets. We haven’t done very well in the field of play with respect to the men’s national team. So our hope is we can emulate some of the things that have happened in our other sport, in show jumping, where Canada since Spruce Meadows started has won 25 medals on the world stage including Olympic gold and world championships and World Cup titles.”

The capacity of the Spruce Meadows soccer stadium would initially be 5,000 to 7,000 seats, although that would be subject to change in years to come.

“The nice thing about Spruce Meadows is we are scalable for the future,” Allison said.

He said it’s too early to say what the cost of the modifications would be, as discussions about a number of different elements are still ongoing.

Having professional soccer being played locally could be a huge boost to the game’s popularity in Calgary, according to Susan Cress, executive director of the Calgary Minor Soccer Association.

“I’m looking forward to it. I can hardly wait to line up to get my season tickets,” said Cress, whose organization has 20,000 youth soccer players. “Many hockey kids get to look up and see their hockey heroes playing on a Saturday night. We really think there’s a group of 10-, 11-, 12-, 13-year-old (soccer) kids that would love that opportunity, too.”

She said she was happy to see the Spruce Meadows group step up and make Tier 1 soccer in Calgary a reality, and hoped FC Edmonton would also join the league in order to extend the Battle of Alberta to the soccer pitch.

“What we need in terms of a professional league in Canada is the ability for people not to just see us as a winter country,” said Cress. “I think the Canadian Premier League is absolutely going to grow the game. Soccer is the world’s game, it is the people’s game, so I think people are really going to get behind this. It’s really exciting times for kids in our city.

— With files from the Canadian Press

http://calgarysun.com/news/local-new...9-8cc7da715e80

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 2:56 PM
Near Generational

Really looking forward to the CPL!!!

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:29 PM

Cool to see this development at Spruce Meadows. Being so far south in Calgary though it is hard to imagine many from the North, East or West would make the journey, especially with no public transit.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 5:28 PM
Near Generational

What makes you think Spruce Meadows won't run their buses like they do for the big jumping events?

I'm thinking it's a given based on how they operate their facility.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 5:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
What makes you think Spruce Meadows won't run their buses like they do for the big jumping events?
They're likely going to be running shuttles as they normally do for jumping events.

I believe some bars also currently run shuttle services for the PDL games as well, although I could be wrong.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 11:13 PM

Where do they run their shuttles from?

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 1:55 PM
Community Guy

Rexall to potentially saved from the wrecking ball and converted into a mixed-use TOD.

http://agoraborealisedm.com

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:57 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Where do they run their shuttles from?
Somerset/Bridlewood C-train station

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 3:39 PM

Interesting concept for Rexall.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 4:34 PM
I am the law!

Can't see this being more than a money pit. Haven't Edmonton taxpayers paid enough?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada