HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
Not that I am by any means current with the fashion-retail sector, but my understanding is that Marshalls sells a little higher end stuff (still at a discount though), and a few items that Winners doesn't. Overall, they are very similar though. Those "Compare at" stickers are a very effective marketing tool... and its helped the company really build a distinct brand.
I would say that the clothing items at Marshalls would be slightly higher end than at Winners but there's really not that much of a difference. Marshalls had some things that Winners doesn't have such as shoes and more dressy clothing. The bedding and home items were likely higher end but I don't know much about those things.

I agree that the "Compare at" technique is effective with many people. I just don't like it because the company can just make up any price for it and try to make you think you are getting a great deal.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:18 PM

Anyone heard if the old FWCI building is still progressing with the residential development? Seems like the real estate listing says its on hold. Are there other business still in that building (gymnastics and a clothing donation place where all that I could remember).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fist View Post
Anyone heard if the old FWCI building is still progressing with the residential development? Seems like the real estate listing says its on hold. Are there other business still in that building (gymnastics and a clothing donation place where all that I could remember).
The owner/developer has attempted to get it going a few times. Probably not going to happen as things stand now... there are reasons but I won't specifically go into them. Same developer is/was also holding the Royal Edward Arms building (including a development deadline from the city), and there has been no action there as of yet.

The gym of FWCI is rented as far as I know. Its the only part of the building that really had any value to anyone as it stood when FWCI was purchased.

========

THUNDER BAY

Hearing of a decent sized residential development close to starting on Royston Ct. (behind Court St. Safeway). A local holdings firm is going to be putting up a 24 unit building (some debate as to whether its condos or apartments) and renovating the former Land Registry office into lofts. Apparently the units in both buildings will be ready for occupancy in spring 2018.

Work has definitely resumed on the Delta waterfront hotel. A local general contractor has taken over the job. Current plan is to have the building superstructure up, closed in and ready for interior work by early fall.

Still hearing rumblings that the condo unit at the Thunder Bay Country Club is going to be salvaged. Not sure at this point if any of the completed foundation work will be acceptable for use, or if it will have to be torn out due to weathering and exposure to the elements.

Last edited by TbayON; Feb 27, 2017 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 1:24 AM
I am a typical

Giant Gymnastics is still in the FWCI gym. The Royal Edward is being rented out "by the day, week, month".

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 5:36 PM

I did forget to mention that apparently the developer of the Royal Eddy does have a hotelier behind the project. Apparently nothing is going to happen though until this hotelier is satisfied that crime in the downtown south core is addressed by the city. This information is according to the developer himself.

========

THUNDER BAY

Next phase of the Mapleward Estates (Arthur St. W. & Mapleward Rd.) has received the green light from the city. It took a considerable amount of time to get this through the city, and more-so the province for approval. Like the sprawl or not, development of the land should begin in the coming weeks.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 1:16 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
I did forget to mention that apparently the developer of the Royal Eddy does have a hotelier behind the project. Apparently nothing is going to happen though until this hotelier is satisfied that crime in the downtown south core is addressed by the city. This information is according to the developer himself.
Crime in the downtown south core is approximately the same rate as in the north core. If his problem is Shelter House then that project simply won't happen, because they own that building and they're not going anywhere any time soon.

I won't be holding my breath over this project. We'll have a freeway to Shabaqua before the Royal Edward becomes a hotel again.

Quote:
Next phase of the Mapleward Estates (Arthur St. W. & Mapleward Rd.) has received the green light from the city. It took a considerable amount of time to get this through the city, and more-so the province for approval. Like the sprawl or not, development of the land should begin in the coming weeks.
Our population is going down and literally half of council was present for the Strong Towns town hall last fall where it was explained that this kind of development is causing serious financial difficulties in American cities.

We're like Detroit, not because of the crime rate, but because of the way we just run away from problems, as if moving another kilometre away will fix anything.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Our population is going down and literally half of council was present for the Strong Towns town hall last fall where it was explained that this kind of development is causing serious financial difficulties in American cities.

We're like Detroit, not because of the crime rate, but because of the way we just run away from problems, as if moving another kilometre away will fix anything.
Try telling people, especially the age 40+ club, that their lifestyle and desire to live on estate sized lots is the cause of tax increases. People don't get it, and don't want to understand it. They want the status quo. Unfortunately for them, the only constant in the world is change. Your stats on km's of road and other services versus population over time tell the whole story.

One can easily blame the city in general, and blame the city again for allowing these types of development. But ultimately the electorate keeps demanding new subdivisions further and further away from the cores, so someone who wants into office is going to tell the electorate what they want to hear. Its ultimately the citizens of pretty well every North American city that need to take a serious reality pill (whether that be pay more to keep the current lifestyle or build up).

In my opinion, while some of the recent tax increases are hard to swallow at times, we still get a really good return on investment for the tax dollars we pay. Try and get the private sector to provide the number and breadth of services the city provides for less. I'm fortunate I'm not on a fixed income though... can't understand how some people can still do it.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 11:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Try telling people, especially the age 40+ club, that their lifestyle and desire to live on estate sized lots is the cause of tax increases. People don't get it, and don't want to understand it. They want the status quo. Unfortunately for them, the only constant in the world is change. Your stats on km's of road and other services versus population over time tell the whole story.

One can easily blame the city in general, and blame the city again for allowing these types of development. But ultimately the electorate keeps demanding new subdivisions further and further away from the cores, so someone who wants into office is going to tell the electorate what they want to hear. Its ultimately the citizens of pretty well every North American city that need to take a serious reality pill (whether that be pay more to keep the current lifestyle or build up).

In my opinion, while some of the recent tax increases are hard to swallow at times, we still get a really good return on investment for the tax dollars we pay. Try and get the private sector to provide the number and breadth of services the city provides for less. I'm fortunate I'm not on a fixed income though... can't understand how some people can still do it.
As I see it, people want great services, smooth, clean, plowed roads and low taxes. That jut doesn't add up.

Whenever someone says we will increase services, I always wonder what they will cut, or what cost is going to rise. They never disappoint me.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 1:10 AM
I am a typical

Quote:

Speaking of public input, this page contains the 677-page Solid Waste Management Strategy. About 60% of those pages are public input comments and public survey results.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 1:36 AM
I am a typical

The new Beer Store opens on March 20th. The old one on May Street closes its doors forever on March 19th.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 2:25 AM

Quote:
The new Beer Store opens on March 20th. The old one on May Street closes its doors forever on March 19th.
I'm guessing it will be a larger and walk-through store?

All three of our Beer Stores in Timmins are still the old style where you have to order at the counter.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 2:30 AM
I am a typical

Yes, it will be the city's first walk-through style store. It will also be the largest in the city.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
New dental office next door should be open not too long after that.

========

THUNDER BAY

Copperfin Credit Union is taking over the former HSBC Bank location at the Harbour Expressway and Carrick St. immediately. They were already working on moving in literally the day after HSBC was gone. This will be a new location for Thunder Bay... not a relocation of an existing branch. Sounds like the other two local branches will also be renovated this year.

Renovations for the new Sephora store in Intercity Mall should be underway shortly, if they haven't started already.

Last edited by TbayON; Mar 7, 2017 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 3:33 PM

THUNDER BAY

A sign is up at the corner of the Harbour Expressway and Carrick St. advertising an immediate opportunity for an East Side Mario's franchise.

Pita Pit is moving into the former Robins Donuts location at Arthur & James. Interior renovations are underway at the moment.

New KFC location at the CH Properties development is out for tender right now. Will be located just to the north of the Canadian Tire entrance off Fort William Rd.

Last edited by TbayON; Mar 13, 2017 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 1:09 AM
I am a typical

The rumours that the Beer Store will become a methadone clinic are false, I know through a couple reliable sources that there is no proposed plan for that building at this time. "It will become a methadone clinic" has become a common complaint about almost everything lately.

A methadone clinic would require a zoning change and extensive renovations and the paperwork hasn't been started for either as of last Tuesday. Beer Store is still using it for storage and slowly moving out of that location. A methadone clinic would still be an improvement over the Beer Store however as they tend to be quieter than beer stores and LCBOs.

On the other hand, Thunder Bay Police has made the Thunder Centre and Intercity a priority area as they anticipate a bit of an increase in public drunkenness and disturbing of the peace.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
The rumours that the Beer Store will become a methadone clinic are false, I know through a couple reliable sources that there is no proposed plan for that building at this time. "It will become a methadone clinic" has become a common complaint about almost everything lately.

A methadone clinic would require a zoning change and extensive renovations and the paperwork hasn't been started for either as of last Tuesday. Beer Store is still using it for storage and slowly moving out of that location. A methadone clinic would still be an improvement over the Beer Store however as they tend to be quieter than beer stores and LCBOs.

On the other hand, Thunder Bay Police has made the Thunder Centre and Intercity a priority area as they anticipate a bit of an increase in public drunkenness and disturbing of the peace.
I haven't heard anything stating that the Beer Store would become a methadone clinic either. Just checked the CoTB Notices today, and still no application to re-zone that building. I'm thinking that a statement/prediction/guess along the lines of "watch, now that the Beer Store has moved, that empty building will become a clinic" changed over time to "a clinic is definitely moving in".

Might be a few more isolated incidents around Intercity now, but I don't see a major surge in crime coming. There is a ton of traffic in that area, and usually more people and prying eyes means less crime.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:11 AM
I am a typical

During the day there are more people, but at night, it's practically devoid of people (aside from homeless and drunks) and gets quite dangerous. They city has been doing a lot to remove the places where they're gathering but you can only clear so many bushes and light up so many corners before you have to admit that we need better health care and housing.

Honestly I feel more endangered when I walk down Fort William Road at night than I do walking near Shelterhouse, because at least I know Shelterhouse has people who can help me if something happens. If you get injured in Intercity at 11pm, good luck finding help.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:33 AM

Very true!

I guess because its predominantly businesses in the area (with few to none operating 24 hours/day), one sort of doesn't think or know what Intercity is about at night unless you are leading a life on the streets.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:59 AM
I am a typical

The people who work the closing shifts at those stores know it well.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 8:25 PM

THUNDER BAY

The province has committed an additional $5 million to the Lakehead University CASES project. This is in addition to a previously announced $1.5 million investment, and brings the provincial commitment closer to the federal commitment of $8 million. Construction is already underway on this project.

Foundation work is pretty well complete at the next condo building at Terra Vista. Expecting the 3 storey above ground part of the structure to start going up soon.

Also expecting the Fountain Hill condo project on Dawson Rd. to break ground this spring. I guess pre-sales went well enough for it to go.

Exterior of the new IBEW union hall on Central Ave. should be getting finished soon. It was left unfinished for the winter (too difficult to get stucco up that time of the year).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario