HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 4:28 PM

Speaking of language, and recalling recent events, Spain is more divided than Canada or Switzerland, yet from an outsider's perspective at least, their two big cities dominate the country.

Their culture and language seems uniform across the country if you are not well informed. But they are really a collection of kingdoms bunched together as one if I have my history right.

The difference I think is that everyone there can and does speak Spanish and not just Catalan or Basque, etc.

Plus it's not a vast country where people of certain regions have to gravitate towards their local big city.

As well, adding to the domination of Madrid and Barcelona, their clubs absolutely dominate the football landscape. Whereas here, CFL success is spread around, except for one city (get with the program, Winnipeg!). And the Leafs haven't even made the cup final let alone won it in half a century. And Van, Edm, Cal, Ott have all been to the cup final since Mtl last made it. And Wpg is trending in the right direction.

One area London can't lay claim to dominance is their football clubs. Man U and Liverpool are the two most successful clubs, and Man City is currently the best. Only one London club has traditionally been elite and that's Arsenal. Though they are well behind the top two mentioned above. Chelsea is new money so they don't have the history yet. However, London does have an extraordinary number of clubs. Would be a football fan's dream to watch games at several stadiums only a convenient public transit ride away.

Last edited by megadude; Nov 20, 2017 at 4:43 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada