HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 2:05 AM
Round Head

Calgary needs Cambodian.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 7:07 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Does anyone know of any updates to the former Victoria's Restaurant space?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Does anyone know of any updates to the former Victoria's Restaurant space?
The permit is pending release, so hopefully something will happen in there soon.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 4:54 PM

So I took the folks from NYC and my team to Vintage Chophouse last night. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals. I had the rib eye with Bearnaise sauce, asparagus and the Truffle Mac & Cheese.... so delicious!

Thanks for the recommendation everyone!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:19 PM

Glad to hear it worked out. Steak and Bernaise sauce....mmm, god's gift to humanity!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:01 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Calgary needs Cambodian.
I know a Cambodian family and they have mentioned a place they like on 17 Av in Forest Lawn which I gather is Chinese-Cambodian. Sorry I don't know the name of it. We usually get together at Peking Dragon at the big round table.
I agree there should be more Cambodian available, it is as good as any other world cuisines.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 10:57 PM

Looks like Kicker's smoked meat and deli on 1st street is open today. Looks like it's open from 11 am to 7 pm. Haven't been inside yet, but it looks like an interesting spot from the outside. They also have the old chandelier from the Taz at the entrance so it's a good way to remember the old days.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 6:38 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Ahh.. I can remember when everyone referred to it as the Tasmanian Ballroom...good times.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 7:26 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I spent $17 at the new Five Guys burgers & fries Sunday night and ate it all.

I think I'm still trying to digest it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 11:14 PM

Paging Jeff Whit

From CBC

Quote:
Beer lovers can no longer get their mitts on some high-alcohol, upscale brews in Alberta's beer and liquor stores. The Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission has banned the sale of beers with alcohol content of more than 11.9 per cent. The AGLC, which has concerns the beers might be associated with binge drinking, sent out a notification to the stores last Friday. "We want to make sure that if these high-alcohol products are available, that they are marketed appropriately," said AGLC spokeswoman Lynn Hutchings-Mah.

A spokesman for DeLancey Direct Inc., a Calgary-based Canadian importer of craft beers, said the ban makes no sense. Most of the affected beers are high-end and are not bought by people looking to get drunk, said Christian Finz.

"Teenagers don't go for these high-end beers," said Finz. "These beers are mostly meant for … beer lovers, beer geeks that really love their beer. These are sipping beers where you … have one bottle an evening."

He added that many of the extra-strong beers cost between $8 and $12 per bottle.

Dave Gingrich, beer manager for Willow Park Wines & Spirits in Calgary, said he was "appalled" when he heard of the new restrictions. He said the taste of these high-alcohol beers is similar to that of fortified wine and they should be enjoyed like wine.

"I think, personally, it's just the people. It's their responsibility to enjoy in moderation," Gingrich said, pointing out that there's abuse of every category of drink.

Hutchings-Mah, however, said there's a possibility that some high-alcohol beers could be less expensive and could be targeted at younger drinkers.

The AGLC suspended sales of the beers until a report can examine whether they contribute to binge drinking. That report will likely be presented to the AGLC board next spring.
Thoughts?

I have to agree that these aren't the types of beers typically consumed by your binge-drinking 17 year-old (though I was wonderfully happy way back in the day when I discovered Big Rock's McNally's).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 11:28 PM
Here and There

People are going to get drunk REGARDLESS. Who is making these ultra-conservative rules for Aberta? Jeeeez. And yes, these beers are typically more expensive. I have also never seen anything over 11.8%. The only beer that i have had is the belgium monastery beers which are around 9 - 10%. I dont make a habit of getting loaded on them andd if I did it would be my choice I guess......that or Tequila.... is a tequila ban next?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 11:30 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
This is Canada, the Government knows what is best for us.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 11:30 PM
Here and There

I had a chance to go to Sushi Motto on 14th st. Very good stuff. I had the Red Dragon roll and it was amazing.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 2:46 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
From CBC

Thoughts?

I have to agree that these aren't the types of beers typically consumed by your binge-drinking 17 year-old (though I was wonderfully happy way back in the day when I discovered Big Rock's McNally's).
McNally's Extra introduced me to the word of fine beer when I was young

Now I won't be able to buy a bottle Samichlaus - 14%, one of the only beers I would classify as "malt liquor".

I hate socially conservative government.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 3:03 AM

Quote:
From CBC

Thoughts?

My thought is someone at ALCB heard about that 4 Loco drink getting banned in the states and equated it to high percentage beer. If they really cared about people binge drinking they would outlaw Old E and drinks along those lines.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 6:17 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
From CBC

Thoughts?

Kokanee, Molson, and Lucky are typically the beers of choice. (Based on Facebook pictures..)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 6:25 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Kokanee, Molson, and Lucky are typically the beers of choice. (Based on Facebook pictures..)
Based on reality, too. No one "binge drinks" (man, I really hate that term) on high-proof anything. Especially not younger drinkers, they simply cannot handle it. If anything, lighter beers are what lead to binge drinking, because you can keep ever-so-slowly increase your BAC while still remaining hydrated enough to function.

The only thing young people drink to excess that are remotely close to having a high alcohol content are such gems as Baby Duck, and Jaegerbombs (although even then they generally over-water their drinks). Some might manage a night of pretty heavy tequila, but that's long after they've learned to put away 12-24 regular beer. Or better yet, a lot of soda/energydrink & rum/rye. All still fairly watered down.

When you can legally buy Everclear in this province, I don't see the gov't having any sense in trying to ban anything.

(Random ironic trivia: Everclear is legal in Utah. Go figure)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 7:22 AM
effete latte-lifter

Yeah, I'm sure there are dozens of 19 year olds lined up around the block at Kensington Wine Market to pay $28 for a bottle of St. Bernadus Triple. It makes perfect sense, this. Thanks, government!

Suddenly I miss Ralph Klein.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 8:20 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I'm really happy that the ALGC has been fighting the good fight by pretty much wrecking burlesque and banning these beers, it's nice to know that as soon as situations may occur that might require one to make adult decisions, the ALGC has your back and you don't have to, or are able to.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post

Suddenly I miss Ralph Klein.
I'll drink to that! If it wasn't for Ralphie boy, liquor stores would be owned by the government, there woud be no drinking on a Sunday and you wouldn't be able to drink in a lounge unless you ordered food. For that alone we should rename Kanaskis after him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation