HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 4:05 PM
Yunus Üstünol

Don river(Toronto) vs Chicago river

Why are the riverside and surroundings of the Don River not planned and urbanized like Chicago River?

-

🆈🆄🅽🆄🆂 🆄🆂🆃🆄🅽🅾🅻

SnowMan in SkyscraperCity

Last edited by YUNEMUS; Aug 24, 2020 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 4:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Welcome to TO!
That whole blob around Don River is a floodplain... We had an incident where the commuter train was stuck in the flood and commuters needed to be rescued.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUNEMUS View Post
Why are the riverside and surroundings of the Don River not planned and urbanized like Chicago River?

-

The river is farther from the City core than in Chicago, so different development pattern.

The river was utilitarian some years back in this section. This part of town was heavy industry, including the distillery (of distillery district fame); but also large-scale meat packing operations which had quite the odour I gather; and the Lever Brothers Soap factory on the other side as well..

Not the most pleasant walking space.

That said, today, Toronto is rebuilding a natural mouth to the river just south of here in the Portlands.

That will include both natural areas with walking trails and urbanized canal/riverside spaces.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:01 PM

...... interesting, in more ways than one .....

This is the second thread in the Toronto forum section where I noticed people in in Toronto are identifying with, and comparing their city with, places in the Eastern USA.

Hey, not a problem, but simply an evdence that the geographic proximity of the Eastern USA exerts a powerful influence on the way Torontonians - and other Canadians in the east
see themselves.

As I remarked in the "Toronto and Queens, NY" (sic) thread, in Vancouver we take a lot of cues from San Francisco and Seattle, and people here often visit there venturing back east
as is the case with my family.

It seems part of the nebulosity of the Canadian identity.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
This is the second thread in the Toronto forum section where I noticed people in in Toronto are identifying with, and comparing their city with, places in the Eastern USA.

Hey, not a problem, but simply an evdence that the geographic proximity of the Eastern USA exerts a powerful influence on the way Torontonians - and other Canadians in the east
see themselves.

As I remarked in the "Toronto and Queens, NY" (sic) thread, in Vancouver we take a lot of cues from San Francisco and Seattle, and people here often visit there venturing back east
as is the case with my family.

It seems part of the nebulosity of the Canadian identity.
I take it as there not being a ton of Canadian cities of similar sizes, that it's easier to look to the US for comparisons. In London, we had a lot of talk about our riverfront and what to do with it, and the most talked about ideas came from comparisons to San Antonio Texas. Not that anything has been acted upon.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 7:36 PM

Toronto and Chicago are similar-sized Great Lakes cities. Why is so crazy about comparing them? It's not comparing Toronto to Columbus or Indianapolis or something.

Likewise, Seattle is closer distance to Vancouver than it is to Portland. Do you think people compare Calgary to Billiings more than to Edmonton? Or Regina more to Bismarck than to Saskatoon?

These are discussions about urban form. To attribute comparisons of Toronto to nearby old, large cities like New York and Chicago in these discussions to a lack of Canadian identity is just weird to me. Such fixation on boundaries and divisions is probably less Canadian and more "American" than anything.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto