HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 6:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Franzén View Post
Thanks for the link. Some great pictures, including some very Walled-City-ish type buildings, and modern day answers to high density.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 5:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

haven't seen this one before:

huffpost

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 9:56 AM

Hi Molson, some time ago i posted about a digital version... Never finished the project, though...
Yesterday I was in KWC mood again. Dumped the whole stuff for the kids to play with!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums...on-walled-city

Enjoy the season and God bless you.
Kind regards,
chem!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:35 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Good stuff. Thanks for the links. I am glad to learn that there are other WCK fanatics like me.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 4:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Great shot.

techinsider

techinsider

techinsider

techinsider

The Dentist will see you now.

techinsider

techinsider

techinsider

techinsider

techinsider

Toilet plunger factory:

techinsider

techinsider

techinsider

techinsider

techinsider

The site today (WKC park):

techinsider

http://www.techinsider.io/the-surrea...ed-city-2015-8

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 5:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

never ending fascination!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 7:54 AM

Here's a text in Swedish on how we need to build more dense in that country, particulary in Stockholm.
The text compares with the Walled City and notes that no area in Stockholm comes close to the density of KWC, or any regular density of Hong Kong for that matter.

http://www.byggvarlden.se/hur-tatt-k...046/nyhet.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 3:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^few places anywhere approach HK density (perhaps parts of Mumbai, Calcutta, Dacca, and a few others). Nothing else has ever been close to KWC density. It is a singular, black-hole density. thanks for the link. Great to hear that the legend lives on.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 11:37 PM
Charismatic Stallion

One of the books frequently mentioned here, City of Darkness, which contains plenty of interesting pictures and interviews with residents, is readily available with a simple search (e.g. the book's title and the term 'pdf'). The book is out of print, costs in the range of $200, and differs meaningfully from City of Darkness Revistited (by the same authors). There may be a Reddit thread in the Cyberpunk subreddit with a link, but frankly, I can't say for sure.

Since there is no way for the authors to receive compensation for your purchase of the original version, as it is out of print, I think many people will be interested in knowing about the book's availability (and, if you haven't already heard of it, its existence).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:29 AM
Heavy User

I love that this thread endures.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
One of the books frequently mentioned here, City of Darkness, which contains plenty of interesting pictures and interviews with residents, is readily available with a simple search (e.g. the book's title and the term 'pdf'). The book is out of print, costs in the range of $200, and differs meaningfully from City of Darkness Revistited (by the same authors). There may be a Reddit thread in the Cyberpunk subreddit with a link, but frankly, I can't say for sure.

Since there is no way for the authors to receive compensation for your purchase of the original version, as it is out of print, I think many people will be interested in knowing about the book's availability (and, if you haven't already heard of it, its existence).
I own an original copy of "City of Darkness". It is one of the very most fascinating books that I have ever read.

The "revisited" version is something on my wish list.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:37 AM
恭喜发财!

I just visited Hong Kong for the first time last week, and I was blown away by just how dense it was. I never thought I'd visit a place that would make even the central districts of Shanghai seem spread out, but Hong Kong is definitely such a place. Mong Kok and Wan Chai in particular were just incredible.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 1:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^can't wait to visit myself. I am going back to Shanghai this summer, with trips to nearby Wuxi (conference location), Suzhou, and Nanjing.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:54 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 8:54 AM

Hello everybody! I will be in six months in Hong Kong a couple of days . does it make sense to visit this place ? or already there is nothing at all left , except the park ?

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:32 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexxx View Post
Hello everybody! I will be in six months in Hong Kong a couple of days . does it make sense to visit this place ? or already there is nothing at all left , except the park ?
There's nothing left. It's all been turned into a park.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 12:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I do believe that the temple (yamen) that pre-dated the KWC was preserved.

Edit: yes it was.

wikipedia

It was found at the bottom of the "hole" featured in the middle of the KWC:

greglambot

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 11:59 PM
Meh

http://nerdist.com/theres-finally-a-...play-as-a-cat/
Quote:
THERE’S NOW A VIDEO GAME WHERE YOU CAN BE A CAT

POSTED BY DERRICK ROSSIGNOL ON JULY 9, 2016

Everybody wants to be a cat, and soon, they’ll be able to, thanks to a developing video game in which the player takes control of a cat and navigates a futuristic city.

The game, currently titled HK, is very early in its development, so not much is known about it just yet. HK‘s creators posted a Q&A to the game’s development blog, and here’s what we can tell you: The third-person solo adventure game is set in a dystopian city inspired by Kowloon Walled City. Although it is set in “an indefinite period,” it appears to take place in the somewhat distant future, given the presence of humanoid robots as seen in game screenshots.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

outstanding. sounds like I would enjoy playing this game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions