HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 2:16 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Kinda makes it a perfect metaphor for a land connection with Russia.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 2:20 AM

So let’s assume for a second that the U.S. (whose government is currently shutdown) and Russia (which can’t afford to pay pensions) agree to spend tens of billions on a bridge and hundreds of billions to connect the bridge to road and rail networks thousands of kms from the Bering Strait, what possible use would it be to anyone? There is no way it would be cheaper or more efficient to ship goods or transport passengers by a surface route than by sea or air.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 2:41 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
^^ I said that the Yukon and Northwest Territories are identical to Alaska topographically and geographically.
You realize what you wrote is there in black and white for all to read. You wrote 'Canada' not 'Yukon and NWT'. If you need further clarification, that's Post #1, written by you. I even quoted it so you wouldn't have to scroll to the beginning.

To get back to your request, good luck. It's an interesting proposal but not one I'd like to see happen in the near term. Now Vancouver Island connected to the mainland is a project I can get behind.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 2:55 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
So let’s assume for a second that the U.S. (whose government is currently shutdown) and Russia (which can’t afford to pay pensions) agree to spend tens of billions on a bridge and hundreds of billions to connect the bridge to road and rail networks thousands of kms from the Bering Strait, what possible use would it be to anyone? There is no way it would be cheaper or more efficient to ship goods or transport passengers by a surface route than by sea or air.
China is the largest exporter of goods on earth. Currently it takes a cargo ship 30+ days to haul exported goods from China to America via the Pacific Ocean. This project would help world trade tremendously. It would only take 19 hours for a high speed train to haul exported goods from Beijing to Vancouver, if this road is constructed.

30 days via ship VS 19 hours (about 1 day) via the Bering Route

China would benefit from this project more than any country (and would have to pay its fair share in construction and maintenance along with other Asian and European countries). Oil tankers transporting oil via the Pacific also take months, while a pipe line will also be constructed in a separate tunnel in this project, allowing endless oil for the entire world and eliminating the need for cargo ships. This isn't just a road connecting two countries, this is a World Road, a new Silk Road for the 21st Century.

America is paying $5 Billion for a wall, from American tax payer dollars (later to be repayed by Mexico through a renegotiated trade deal, and complete halt of illegal immigration).

America is not paying $20 Billion for this road. They are paying a few million. Russia is paying a few million, and so is Canada, China, Brazil, India, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, France, Germany, Ireland, England and so on. All these countries have to chip in a few million to reach the $20 Billion needed.

This is not an American road that only America has to pay for.
This is not a Canadian road than only Canada has to pay for.
This is not a Russian road than only Russia had to pay for.

This is a WORLD road that the world will collectively pay for.

You can do your part by signing the petition.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 3:13 AM

This is a joke thread right?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 3:26 AM
Khurram Parvaz

The funny part (or joke) in reality is (which is somewhat sad) that I started this petition 2 days ago and used SSP as a platform so I could get as many people as possible to sign the petition. 6 people signed and those 6 are people I asked to sign (non-SSP members).

After 1,000 people viewed this topic on SSP a total of ZERO members of SSP signed the petition. This begs the question, are the people viewing this thread automated bots or real people, and if they are real people then why would they not sign this petition?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 3:29 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
The funny part (or joke) in reality is (which is somewhat sad) that I started this petition 2 days ago and used SSP as a platform so I could get as many people as possible to sign the petition. 6 people signed and those 6 are people I asked to sign (non-SSP members).

After 1,000 people viewed this topic on SSP a total of ZERO members of SSP signed the petition. This begs the question, are the people viewing this thread automated bots or real people, and if they are real people then why would they not sign this petition?
I feel the same way about people who decline my advances on Grindr. Bots or just idiots. If I hit on someone, and do not get an emphatic yes, then I have a problem with them.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 3:33 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
China is the largest exporter of goods on earth. Currently it takes a cargo ship 30+ days to haul exported goods from China to America via the Pacific Ocean. This project would help world trade tremendously. It would only take 19 hours for a high speed train to haul exported goods from Beijing to Vancouver, if this road is constructed.

30 days via ship VS 19 hours (about 1 day) via the Bering Route

China would benefit from this project more than any country (and would have to pay its fair share in construction and maintenance along with other Asian and European countries). Oil tankers transporting oil via the Pacific also take months, while a pipe line will also be constructed in a separate tunnel in this project, allowing endless oil for the entire world and eliminating the need for cargo ships. This isn't just a road connecting two countries, this is a World Road, a new Silk Road for the 21st Century.

America is paying $5 Billion for a wall, from American tax payer dollars (later to be repayed by Mexico through a renegotiated trade deal, and complete halt of illegal immigration).

America is not paying $20 Billion for this road. They are paying a few million. Russia is paying a few million, and so is Canada, China, Brazil, India, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, France, Germany, Ireland, England and so on. All these countries have to chip in a few million to reach the $20 Billion needed.

This is not an American road that only America has to pay for.
This is not a Canadian road than only Canada has to pay for.
This is not a Russian road than only Russia had to pay for.

This is a WORLD road that the world will collectively pay for.

You can do your part by signing the petition.

Wait, so now you're claiming that the entire "road" will cost $20 billion? It was a big enough stretch if it was only the crossing but the entire crossing including the road or railroad is preposterous. In the most recent highspeed rail study a 300km/h route between Toronto and Montreal was estimated to cost $21 billion in 2009 dollars. That route is only about 600km so about $35 million CAD per km, while a route between Vancouver and the Bering Strait is about 3200km, some of it exceptionally remote with extreme terrain and climate. Even if the cost per km was that low it would be $112 billion CAD just to get from Vancouver to the Bering Strait before the cost of the actual crossing.

I'm not saying it isn't a good project but sabotaging it with completely fictitious claims in terms of the cost doesn't do it any favours.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 3:33 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I feel the same way about people who decline my advances on Grindr. Bots or just idiots. If I hit on someone, and do not get an emphatic yes, then I have a problem with them.
There is a difference between harassment of a single person and kindly asking thousands of people to support a logical, beneficial and well-meaning petition regarding a project that could bring about global peace, spur economies of hundreds of countries, and be a beacon of unity, friendship and the limitless capabilities of man.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 3:39 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

The answer is pretty simple actually. You either haven't convinced people here that it's a good and feasible idea or at least haven't convinced us that it's a better idea than other possible uses of that amount of investment. Perhaps the other 6 people you asked signed because they're your friends and wanted to do you a favour or perhaps they're just not as knowledgeable on issues regarding infrastructure, technology, or politics. I don't know them so I can't really comment.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 3:43 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^^ But don't you think it's odd that here are the view counts for this thread:

Engineering section: 216
Canada section: 811
Skybar: 282

Total Views for this topic: 1309

Out of 1300+ people, not ONE person signed. The other 6 people don't know about SSP, just people in public I know that I asked to sign. Not one SSP viewer out of 1300+ signed. Very odd indeed.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think it boils down to the fact that many Canadians would rather see infrastructure monies spent on highway expansion between the major cities in Canada (rather than across northern AB, BC and YT to get to AK). Similarly, it would be nice to have HSR in the Windsor-Quebec City corridor and expanded passenger service in the rest of Canada before building such a system in a part of Canada where virtually nobody lives.

There may be merits to this project, but a Bering crossing literally connects the middle of nowhere to the middle of nowhere, with thousands of km of expensive infrastructure necessary to get there from both sides. This would have to be a project funded by the entire world, and the world has so many other things they could be spending the money on.

Maybe if we had infinite money and infinite resources........

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:06 AM

Do I think it's odd? Not overly. A stranger on the internet tried to get me to sign their petition. However the information provided wasn't overly compelling or convincing.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:23 AM
sick transit, gloria

It must be cool to have a brain so large to realize that yes, this is a good idea.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:34 AM

How on Earth is a bridge suppose to bring world peace? Even if they were to somehow find $20 billion by every country coughing up a percentage {and only God knows why anyone would}, how exactly is this suppose to bring world peace? There are tons of roads, rail lines, and airline routes between Europe and Russia and their relations now are the worse they have been since the height of the Cold War.

Of all the ways I could think of helping bring peace and prosperity to all people of this planet, building an arctic bridge would be the last one.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:42 AM
Back from the dead

Well, it's probably great for the trucking industry but then you think about the fact that there's not much of anything on either side of any proposed bridges and you have to wonder what the point is.

After all, the span is one thing but you'd have to build hundreds and hundreds of kilometers of roadway as well. I don't think either nation has any transportation infrastructure up there.

The question is whether or not we'll save either time or money by building any kind of physical link. Not being an expert, I can't say.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:44 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Well, it's probably great for the trucking industry...
That sentence brings me joy. I want to use that in other areas of my life as well.

Also, I'd just like to point out to all of you who don't like me... I could EASILY make a thread like this about the imagined tunnel from Newfoundland to Labrador. But I don't. Because I'm not as bad as you think I am.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 6, 2019 at 5:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Also, I'd just like to point out to all of you who don't like me... I could EASILY make a thread like this about the imagined tunnel from Newfoundland to Labrador. But I don't. Because I'm not as bad as you think I am.
He's not wrong.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:42 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The amount of road infrastructure required to support this project would be almost equivalent to building a highway around the circumference of the moon, and without much more population density. Only in a future where there are millions of people living in proximity in Alaska and Siberia would this be practical.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 10:28 AM

I signed it a few days ago.... Couldn't resist. Hope Ole Donny Trump gets this bad boy on his desk ASAP.

Also If I signed it one of your six friends lied to you bro.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada