HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:50 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Please Sign My Petition

Please help this project by signing my petition and ask as many people as you know to sign it and spread it on as many platforms you have access to (FB, Twitter, skyscrapercity etc.) so it can get 100,000 signatures. It has as much impact on Canada as it does America (given Alaska is identical to Canada geographically/topographically, and you can't go to Alaska without going through Canada). The idea is so great that it may help save the world, but to do so we must get the attention of our governments away from weapons and war and towards unity, coexistence and peace. This crossing, whether in the form of a bridge or tunnel, would be a modern day tearing down of the Berlin Wall and bring peace between the world's two superpowers, America and Russia.

Please sign my petition

Now onto ideas for building it. One is an underwater tunnel (the longest tunnel in human history), and another is the longest bridge in human history. How to build the longest bridge or the longest tunnel in the most extreme climate on the world, next to Siberia and the Arctic. One idea that I had was to not build one continuous bridge but rather through dredging, build two more islands, one island between Russia and Big Diomede Island and another Island between Little Diomede Island and Alaska. Then only 5 relatively small bridges (or tunnels) would be required as opposed to one continuous one. Another idea is remove water and raise the ocean/sea water basin by adding rocks (which are abundant in Alaskan and Russian topography) and then building a not so deep tunnel. A third idea is to permanently connect the land using dredging, but that would separate the Arctic and Pacific and the natural water flow, so perhaps a final idea would be as many dredged islands as possible (perhaps 2 between Russia and the Diomedes and 2 between Alaska and the Diomedes) so that as little time, money, resources and manpower is spent on the connectors (a bridge or tunnel). I personally prefer both a bridge and tunnel because certainly this would be the most trafficked thoroughfare in the world, but any connector that has 6 lanes going and 6 lanes coming (12 lanes total) in two separate tunnels and a third tunnel for high speed rail is also acceptable. Anything that connects a, for far too long, separated world and its 8 billion inhabitants.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:51 AM
Khurram Parvaz

My Petition

Permanent Global Peace via The 10th Wonder of the World

Quote:
At about $300 Million per warhead and a total of 15000 nuclear weapons stockpiled on this uncertain planet right now, that totals to $4.5 Trillion (likely more) to construct every single nuclear bomb since World War 2. A greater, longer lasting bond between America and the rest of the world can be forged if a simple road is constructed, the greatest road ever built by man, between Alaska and Russia. This road will connect 8 billion people and connect 6 continents. It will be a symbolic modern day tearing of the Berlin Wall, similar to President Reagan in his day, and would signify a final, permanent and everlasting sign of friendship between the United States and Russia. Instead of nuclear arms race, we must have a race to see who can build the 10th Wonder of the World, the Bering Crossing, first.
Please sign

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:51 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:52 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:52 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Something like this is ideal

Stretch the peninsulas out as much as possible, whether they are stretched underground (for a tunnel, to make it as short, timely, and cost efficient as possible) or whether they are stretched above ground (for a bridge, to make it as short, timely, and cost efficient as possible). Dredging is costly, and a singular bridge across this region would be much cheaper, but long term, extending the peninsulas or building 4 or 5 small islands (really, just landing pads for a bridge or tunnel) would make the construction and engineering of a bridge or tunnel MUCH easier and hassle free, especially in this cold regional climate.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 7:57 AM

Is this {both the proposal and petition} for real?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:32 AM
Khurram Parvaz

The proposal is for real and the petition is for real, but the proposal is not possible if the petition is not signed and reviewed by US Congress (they have the funds and the negotiation power to come to the table with Russia, the EU, China, India, Japan and all other countries this proposal will benefit, but mainly getting Russia on the table first since the proposal connects America/Canada with Russia). To get Congress to allocate funds and negotiate with Russia to come to an agreement, the petition has to be signed.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 10:57 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Cost of connecting Russia and USA (whether bridge, tunnel, artificial islands, artificial peninsulas, or a combination of all of them): No more than $20 Billion

Cost of Building 70 Million automobile every year

Cost of driving a Gas car from the southern tip of Argentina to the southern tip of South Africa (30,000 miles total)
Given the cost of gas to travel 1 mile is 15 CENTS

Cost of driving an EV from southern tip of Argentina to southern tip of South Africa (30,000 miles total):
Given the cost of electricity to travel 1 mile is 3.6 CENTS
(BUT with solar powered charging stations, traveling one end of the world to the other and back in an EV via road is basically free

A typical passenger vehicle emits about 4.6 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year
Number of vehicles on the road: 1.2 billion cars
Carbon emissions emitted by gas cars per year
5520000000 metric tons
OR over 5.5 BILLION metric tons of carbon emissions emitted by all cars on earth, every year

Carbon emissions of EVs: zero

Number of planes in use today: over 40,000
Average cost to build a plane: $200 Million
Cost to build every plane in use today
8E+12
OR over $8 TRILLION to build every plane in use

Cost to operate all planes per year?
Number of gallons used by planes yearly? 100 BILLION gallons of fuel
Cost of jet fuel per gallon? $5.21 per gallon
5.21E+11
OR over $521 BILLION to run and operate every plane in use, every year.

Carbon emissions of all planes in the world?
3.15 grams per gram of fuel

Grams of fuel used by all planes yearly?
9.10971E+14 grams of fuel used yearly

Grams of carbon emitted by all planes yearly?
2.86956E+15 grams of carbon emitted yearly
OR 2869558650 metric tonns

OR over 2.87 BILLION or basically over 3 BILLION metric tonnes of carbon emissions emitted by all planes in the world every year.

Add it up:

2.87 BILLION metric tonne + 5.5 BILLION metric tonne = over 8.5 BILLION metric tonnes of pollution per year

$4.5 TRILLION + $521 BILLION + $8 TRILLION = OVER $13 TRILLION
And there isn't a mere $20 Billion for a peace making, pollution finishing road between USA and Russia?

Who is paying these obscene amounts to build polluting, gas guzzling planes (both commercial passenger planes and military planes)?

Military planes? The government
Passenger planes? Boeing or Airbus

Who pays the government and who pays the plane companies?

YOU PAY the government with your taxes and YOU pay the plane companies by riding their planes

Who spent over $4.5 TRILLION to build useless, pointless weapons that can kill every person on earth thousands of times over?
The governments of the world.

How did those governments gather such obscene amounts of money to fund useless weapons?
Your tax dollars

YOU can fix it by signing my petition

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 11:01 AM

I realize the area isn't as far apart as I anyway think, is there a real world comparison how close the areas to be linked really are? like England france? or Australia new zealand? etc?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 12:06 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

LaRouche is what, 100 years old?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:32 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I realize the area isn't as far apart as I anyway think, is there a real world comparison how close the areas to be linked really are? like England france? or Australia new zealand? etc?
Think distance between:

Toronto and Hamilton
Toronto and Niagara Falls
Manchester and Liverpool
Manchester and Sheffield
San Jose and San Francisco
Dallas and Fort Worth
Washington DC and Baltimore
Lucerne and Zurich
Lucerne and Bern
Cologne and Dortmund
Glasgow and Edinburgh

It's not as far as people think (not countries apart but cities apart), that is what makes it so amazing that something so doable has yet to be done, like the final frontier.

Please sign my petition

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:30 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Even if the crossing itself could be built for 20 billion, that obviously doesn't include the upgraded infrastructure connecting the crossing to major population centres on either side. The diagram in post 4 shows a maglev train, but it would cost more than 20 billion just to build a maglev from a population centre like Edmonton or Vancouver to the Bering Strait and even more to population centres on the other side. If Russia is willing to invest just as much of the funding as the West and it had just as great of importance to them economically then it might be worth considering, but otherwise it would just be a bargaining chip they'd use to manipulate us. We'd have invested all those billions in construction and planned for all those billions in trade and they'd have complete control over how / when / if we'd have any ability to use it. I don't see how that would lead to peace with Russia. If anything it could lead to greater conflict just as easily. Unless by peace you mean forcing the West to adopt Trump-style capitulation and going along with whatever Putin wants.

Requiring Russia to make an equal investment might work better, but their economy is smaller than Canada's despite having four times the population to support, so I'm not sure they can afford much.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 6:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

this proposal is simply ridiculous. a petition with a 100 million signatures will do nothing to advance it. we have real infrastructure needs that are of a far greater priority than this bridge from buttfuck nowhere to buttfuck nowhere.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 6:17 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Plus the last thing anyone wants is giving Russians easy access to North America. I think peace between Russia and the west is a lost cause.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 12:53 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Please help this project by signing my petition and ask as many people as you know to sign it and spread it on as many platforms you have access to (FB, Twitter, skyscrapercity etc.) so it can get 100,000 signatures. It has as much impact on Canada as it does America (given Alaska is identical to Canada geographically/topographically, and you can't go to Alaska without going through Canada).
I got stuck on that comment in bold. That's akin to saying that Mexico is identical to the US geographically/topographically. Neither statement is anywhere close to being true. Astonishingly ignorant comment aside I don't want a road connection to Russia; not with that psychopath Vladimir Poutine at the helm.

I'm still stunned that someone can be so ignorant about a country literally an 1 hour plane ride away. I know Manhattanites can be insular but this is ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:19 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^^ I never said Toronto is identical to Anchorage, Alaska. I said that the Yukon and Northwest Territories are identical to Alaska topographically and geographically. They sit on the same land separated by a border at Alcan and Little Gold. But Alaska, The NW territories of Canada, Russia's Siberian region and the Arctic are all identical geographically and topographically.

You could also say that Vancouver and Seattle are identical, Toronto and Buffalo are identical and Quebec and Maine are identical geographically and topographically.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:24 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
I said that the Yukon and Northwest Territories are identical to Alaska topographically and geographically.
See, the thing is, we can read what you said... Things are different here, like in Australia:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...n-the-us-dont/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:48 AM

There are a series of roads connecting myself and my ex-girlfriend right now, but it certainly doesn't mean there's peace between us.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:55 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Your current one is much better anyway. She's awesome.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Your current one is much better anyway. She's awesome.
I mean, we've been together for 7+ years, and my ex doesn't bother me, but that doesn't really work well here in the context of what I was trying to convey

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada