HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:25 PM

Even the City's own Planning Department's web site acknowledges the potential problem you're talking about.
Quote:
Current high rise tower proposals may result in a "table-topping" effect on the area’s rapidly evolving skyline with uniform heights of tall buildings and little transition to adjacent areas.
And they go on to make "Urban Form Recommendations"
Quote:
The project will re-examine and may propose changes to existing height limits on certain parcels. The project will evaluate how adjustments to height limits can ensure that the skyline is more pleasingly sculpted to enhance the overall urban form of the city, while being mindful of key neighborhood quality-of-life considerations such as sunlight and pedestrian quality.
I think once the current crop of towers go up and the public gets used to that area being a real high-rise district (as opposed to a low-rise area with a few scattered towers) then well see a push to go higher.

Re. the wind issue. Does anyone know why the wind is a such a bitch at that particular intersection?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Re. the wind issue. Does anyone know why the wind is a such a bitch at that particular intersection?
It's not just the intersection. It's all along Van Ness as far as where the street starts to rise around Turk. It seems as if Twin Peaks/Mt. Davidson (and secondarily the hill on which Buena Vista Park sits) blocks the wind and shunts it aside so that it blows down the streets from Haight to Turk/Balboa which seems to be the low point in the central spine of the city.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 6:08 AM
dazzle me

^ i'm not sure that's true. the wind at van ness/market seems to gust down from above, so it could be winds hitting each other from different directions and then striking buildings. the worst wind is larkin and golden gate, which is oddly where they put in the PUC building with the wind capture that doesn't work.

anyway, i have like dozens of photos of new/recent/UC developments in the polk gulch/TL/fidi areas (basically, where i never leave, please shoot me). can someone tell me what we're using these days that's fastest to UL? running android.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 4:29 PM
Build Baby Build

https://imgur.com/ is the fastest by far, free, and you can auto generate links for BB code. Highly recommended.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
^ i'm not sure that's true. the wind at van ness/market seems to gust down from above, so it could be winds hitting each other from different directions and then striking buildings. the worst wind is larkin and golden gate, which is oddly where they put in the PUC building with the wind capture that doesn't work.

anyway, i have like dozens of photos of new/recent/UC developments in the polk gulch/TL/fidi areas (basically, where i never leave, please shoot me). can someone tell me what we're using these days that's fastest to UL? running android.
It does "gust down from above"--after hitting buildings like 100 Van Ness and the Burton Federal Building (which gets credit for the situation at Larkin/Golden Gate although IMHO Polk/Turk and Golden Gate/Turk are worse. The feature on the PUC building appears to me to work fine--I walk by there every day. The "fluttery" wind sculpture is interesting (I see a lot of tourist types pointing at it) and the turbines behind are often turning slowly as I think they are meant to). But this is my neighborhood and since my windows face west I can assure you there's a constant blow down these east/west streets. On warm days I'm kind of greatful for it. The rest of the time I keep the windows shut.

For posting photos, my new "go-to" is Flikr by far. Very fast upload.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:05 PM

NOTICE: I don't know who or how to comment about a problem with this forum. The rendering is not correct when I write a message - there is no choice to format the text. Also the page numbering is odd.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 12:32 AM

Socketsite provides a better three-dimensional massing of the single tower concept:

Quote:
Should the current height limit for the Hub District site be increased to 600 feet, KPF is now working with SITELAB Urban Studio on plans for a single 55-story tower to rise up to 590 feet upon the 10 South Van Ness site, a design which would yield the same number of (slightly larger) residential units, retail space and parking as the two-tower plan and as roughly massed below.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 1:10 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

This will be like a second, Midtown skyline if all of those towers are built! Like Century City in LA, but actually walkable!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 8:15 AM
heavy user of walkability

well, at least the Honda dealership has closed, which I hadn't realized...

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 6:13 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
well, at least the Honda dealership has closed, which I hadn't realized...
It’s a very cool space with a lot of history. I can envision pushback to have it landmarked once it has been converted back to its original usage.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
It’s a very cool space with a lot of history. I can envision pushback to have it landmarked once it has been converted back to its original usage.
I really hope that we can grow out of a yearning for headlines such as "Shuttered Honda dealership landmarked for it's 3-year-run as a popular music venue in the late 60s."

Excited to see this project move forward and for the freshness it'll bring to this part of the city.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:18 AM

Some new renderings of the taller single tower from Crescent Heights and a website showing both (single tower/twin tower) proposals.

Source

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 4:02 AM

It looks like it came from Brooklyn.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 4:09 AM

Can't wait for the skyline to actually look like this.

I would prefer the 600 foot tower than the twin 400 ones.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:59 AM
Surrounded by Nature

The scale of Salesforce Tower in relation to Oceanwide Center is wrong, One Post is getting a height increase, and other towers are either too short or completely missing. If everything is built as tentively planned, it will look better than this rendering!

The City needs to make sure Crescent City builds what is approved so we don't end up with another Jasper, like they foisted upon us. The top of NEMA still looks terrible from some angles, especially coming down Market Street.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:53 PM

I'm afraid that building costs and resultant prices/rents have gotten so out of control that "The Hub" may have to wait for the next upswing (after the next downturn) in the economy/building cycle to become reality. I just hope the city doesn't have a change of heart--again-- by then about allowing more height.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 8:50 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I think it looks great, and love the street level.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Given all the t-shirts, they're expecting completion around about the time global warming is really starting to kick in.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I think it looks great, and love the street level.
Agreed. Take note that there are actually two separate designs in the renderings posted above. One for the single tower and the other for the double. Regardless, both do a nice job with street-level scale, setbacks, and materials from the looks of it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Given all the t-shirts, they're expecting completion around about the time global warming is really starting to kick in.
I don't see a single homeless shopping cart in or in front of the "Artisan Cafe" so I guess it won't be a Starbuck's. What I do see is the Civic Center Hotel next door. That's what I call "diversity".

MAYOR LEE OPENS SECOND NAVIGATION CENTER AT CIVIC CENTER HOTEL

For non-San Franciscans, a "Navigation Center" is a glorified homeless shelter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals