HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Sure would be nice if this were right next to a train station.
It's only one block from Penn Station. It's way closer than Hudson Yards.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:45 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

That was my point. I was being sarcastic. Traffic shouldn't be an issue for this district between Penn Station and the 7 line extension.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:07 PM

D'oh.... should try using my context clues.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think of all the residential's going up, and the offices, and wonder: What will the daytime population be? Or even better, in the whole city lets say 5 to 10 years from now? Traffic is definitely going to increase in such a already dense part of Manhattan. People I think will realize the scope of the boom once they notice the increase in traffic and pedestrians.
That neighborhood isn't really that dense, residential or pedestrian wise. Compared to the rest of Manhattan, it's a dead zone. That's whey there is room to add so much. The towers that are being built there will be large, and will appear larger still because there really aren't any towers over there at all, unlike the rest of Midtown. Those towers, more than anything else, will change the perception of the area. Add the subway opening, and its as much Manhattan as anywhere else.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That neighborhood isn't really that dense, residential or pedestrian wise. Compared to the rest of Manhattan, it's a dead zone. That's whey there is room to add so much.
Right, this area is dead besides occasional Javits Center crowds and garbage trucks.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:32 PM

I just took this from a friends apartment.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post

Awesome photo!! Nobody's been able to get a clear shot of the southeastern corner of the construction site thus far. Kudos to you

Do you think you could upload a larger version to imageshack? I'd love to see the details. Here's my meager contribution taken from the third floor of the office building in the center of your photo.

jglover1028

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeit View Post
I think that it will be a single-beam gantry with the lifting devices attached to the base. The falsework towers would suggest the height of the structure-they should be placed underneath so that the legs can be attached..
IIRC the how-we'll-build-the-platform youtube shows it to be two beams.

I think the sections for the 2nd beam show up more prominently in the photo from DesignerVoodoo.

Could be faulty recall...

PS: It would be informative if related/oxford created a similar video regarding THEIR platform construction one short avenue west. But maybe they are still brainstorming how to actually build the ERY platform...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
That was my point. I was being sarcastic. Traffic shouldn't be an issue for this district between Penn Station and the 7 line extension.
Yeah... but... NY's Penn "is the busiest passenger transportation facility in the United States" AND there will be more pedestrians hoofing it east-west to/from the west end of Penn Station.

I don't know if this will be a problem for pedestrian flow, but I DO know they are spending money to improve the passageways between the west side of 8th Ave/original Farley PO and the ancient, GRITTY, bowels of Penn Station.

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these commuters from Manhattan West nor Hudson Yards. But the fact there are at least three transportation agencies (Amtrak, MTA & NJTransit) will have an impact on solving whatever traffic flow problems exist and/or will be created.

Regarding future daytime populations, various estimates should be in the planning studies, EIS...

Last edited by vkristof; Sep 12, 2013 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these commuters from Manhattan West nor Hudson Yards.

Well, anybody taking NJT or LIRR would have gotten off at Penn Station anyway, even if their office was downtown. So the station can handle it.

Speaking anecdotally, there's definitely nowhere near the density of sidewalk traffic you get just a few avenues over to the east, plenty of room to be had. I do get a funny mental picture, though, of a thousand commuters trudging down two avenue blocks to get to HY. The daily march.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:38 PM

I hope I'm home to see when they use the orange machinery to lift the first beam into place. It should be very interesting to watch. I'm assuming that wont happen to late next week at earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
IIRC the how-we'll-build-the-platform youtube shows it to be two beams.

I think the sections for the 2nd beam show up more prominently in the photo from DesignerVoodoo.

Could be faulty recall...

PS: It would be informative if related/oxford created a similar video regarding THEIR platform construction one short avenue west. But maybe they are still brainstorming how to actually build the ERY platform...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post

Very nice. That's just a touch of the scale of changes to come.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGuy View Post
I hope I'm home to see when they use the orange machinery to lift the first beam into place. It should be very interesting to watch. I'm assuming that wont happen to late next week at earliest.
I can't even imagine how they're gonna hoist that thing, it looks huge! It's like they need a special crane for their special crane.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I can't even imagine how they're gonna hoist that thing, it looks huge! It's like they need a special crane for their special crane.
I'm assuming that red falsework that surrounds each pair of gantry legs will be used to hoist the beams onto the orange legs.

Strictly an assumption & I haven't checked the video to see if it shows anything about this step.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post

Well, anybody taking NJT or LIRR would have gotten off at Penn Station anyway, even if their office was downtown. So the station can handle it.

Speaking anecdotally, there's definitely nowhere near the density of sidewalk traffic you get just a few avenues over to the east, plenty of room to be had. I do get a funny mental picture, though, of a thousand commuters trudging down two avenue blocks to get to HY. The daily march.
That's intentional - it's a reference to the inscription on the future home of the westernmost entrances to Penn which will be closest to MH & HY.

"Built in 1912, the (James Farley Post Office) building is famous for bearing the inscription: Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." - wikipedia

Portions of the east, front, side of of Farley are being rebuilt as an Amtrak concourse that are connected under 8th Ave to Penn Station, etc.

Here's a link to some renderings from last year for work that is supposed to be occurring now. I assume there is nothing to prevent NJT or LIRR commuters from using these future improvements:
http://www.moynihanstation.org/newsite/

So I assume NJT and LIRR commuters to MW & HY yards will be trying o exit the west ends of their trains, walk west under 8th Ave & then come out under that famous inscription.

I used to commute via the LIRR to Penn, but like you say, to ultimate destinations that were either south on 7th Ave or via the subway/PATH complex @ Herald Square.

In those bygone days there was an underground passageway connecting the east end of Penn to the Herald Sq subway complex. So I'm familiar with staying sheltered as long as possible when the weather is miserable.

Here's a link to one of the many Gimbels (a long defunct department store) passageway remembrances. The passageway resurfaced due to a Vornado promise IF they had built that skyscraper across from Penn on 7th Ave.:

http://mas.org/gimbels-passageway-an...n-underground/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 5:24 PM

The imminent lifting procedure is becoming readily apparent! I think this is going to happen sooner rather than later. Sorry for the quality.

jglover1028

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 8:38 PM

Thanks j-biz, looks like it may happen this weekend.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 12:21 AM

so is the height the same along with the addition of the third tower or can i be brieffed on what its looking like?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 3:40 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

We don't know what the exact massing and height of each tower will be. We know they will be fairly tall, possibly over 1000ft. That's it. We used to have a better idea, but then the plans changed, and they don't seem to have been finalized yet. Once tennants are found, then the plans will probably be finalized.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 3:27 PM

A view of the first launch girder looking strapped in and ready to go. This is from last night but the status is still the same this morning. One of my coworkers has a view out the window near the construction site and I've asked him to alert me if he sees any stirring.

jglover1028

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive