HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I was just wondering where I would have to go to buy a good wok.
Not Wok Box. It's a chinese fast food place.

Quote:
i wrote a paper a few months back about Imvescor. According to one of their regional managers, Baton Rouge is geared to be a higher-class version of Mikes Restaurant. The plan is to expand into the bigger markets first, starting with Halifax, and probably not long after, Moncton. At the same time, they're rebranding Pizza Delight to be a classier family-style restaurant. Scores and Mikes are to fill out the budget end of the spectrum.
Being higher-class than Mikes is no prize. I was at the Mikes that were here several times (they were in both Bedford and Sackville; both are now closed) and I could not understand their rationale or appeal. They were the very definition of corporate food. And in the locations I visited, the service was very poor in every case -- similar to that of Pizza Delight. I would suggest to the company that they need to figure out how to get their staff to serve customers in a way that matches the "classier" price point they are trying to achieve.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 12:07 PM

Here's a notice of public hearing regarding the rezoning for the residential project in DC:

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...ctSheetPIM.pdf

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 1:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
According to one of their regional managers, Baton Rouge is geared to be a higher-class version of Mikes Restaurant..
It's basically a high(er)-class restaurant that still serves southern-style bbq food and bbq influenced food (hence the name).

Not super fancy by any means, but still miles ahead of Mikes. Probably on the level of Moxie's.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Here's a notice of public hearing regarding the rezoning for the residential project in DC:

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...ctSheetPIM.pdf
BTW its just a public information meeting.

I'm starting to wonder how many restaurants there are going to be in DC. Theres already a fair number of them (Moxies, Wok Box, Subway, Swiss Chalet, Boston Pizza, Jack Asters, Montanas, ect) and theres still many more in the plans. I counted fourteen defenite spots for food with more possible when the gas station is built.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Scores and Mikes are to fill out the budget end of the spectrum.
Is that the Scores in N.Y. City?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 9:45 PM

New hotel expected to open this spring
DARTMOUTH CROSSING
The Burnside News

Construction is well underway on the new Hampton Inn & Suites in Dartmouth Crossing. The new hotel is expected to open in spring 2009.

Rick Norman, a 14-year veteran of the hospitality industry, will serve as general manager for the 163-room property, located at 65 Cromarty Drive. Katheryn Banfield-Elson will be director of sales and marketing for the property.

Norman, who has been with New Castle Hotels & Resorts since 1996, comes to the new Hampton Inn from the Residence Inn, Moncton, where he was also general manager and helped launch the successful property in 2008. Banfield-Elson joins the New Castle team from the Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport, where she served as director of sales and marketing since 2005.

The Hampton Inn & Suites will offer 163 rooms, including 48 suites. Rooms will feature 32-inch flat-screen TVs, free high-speed, wireless Internet access; large work desks with ergonomic chairs; portable lap desks; and phones with voice mail and speakerphone capability. Suites will feature fully equipped kitchenettes, dining areas with chairs and a sitting area.

Hotel amenities include free wireless high-speed Internet throughout the building, including the lobby and four meeting rooms; complimentary hot breakfast buffet; 1,800 square feet of meeting space; an indoor heated pool with waterslide and separate children’s pool; a whirlpool and on-site fitness centre.

The new hotel will be a showpiece of the new Dartmouth Crossing development, one of the largest retail destinations in Canada east of Calgary. Located adjacent to the Burnside Business Park, Dartmouth Crossing offers approximately 2.2 million square feet of retail space. The Hampton Inn & Suites Halifax-Dartmouth will be just 16 miles from the Halifax Stanfield International Airport, convenient to downtown Dartmouth, just three miles from Alderney Landing on the Dartmouth waterfront and just six miles from downtown Halifax.

“With its vibrant business centre and the new Dartmouth Crossing retail development, Dartmouth continues to draw business and leisure travelers from across North America,” says Gerald P. Chase, president, chief operating officer of New Castle Hotels & Resorts, the company managing the new property. “We’re confident our Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax-Dartmouth will be a welcome, successful addition to the rich cultural, social and business scene of Dartmouth and the greater Halifax area.”

New Castle Hotels & Resorts portfolio includes 30 and hotels the company manages, owns or is developing in the United States and Canada. The hotel management company consistently ranks in the country’s top 100 hotel management and development companies in hospitality industry trade publications. For more information on New Castle Hotels & Resorts, please contact the corporate website at www.newcastlehotels.com.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 3:04 AM

Just a final close-up of the Hampton Inn & Suites Building (picture taken by me);

And I noticed the CIBC is expected to open on March 16.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 4:27 AM

Ugh, so bland.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 4:15 PM

It almost looks more like a rendering than a real picture...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 4:45 PM

I think that would be quite a nice building if there was something around it.... but it just looks so out of place...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 5:19 PM

It's actually alright for one of these "chain hotels by the highway" type places.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 9:17 PM

I was through DC last night. I didn't go overboard with phots this time but I did get one of the CIBC completed and of the new sign for the Hampton;

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 11:58 AM

Still more places to shop
Dartmouth Crossing continues to expand, despite some retailers’ change in plans
By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Wed. Mar 25 - 5:47 AM

The most significant development at Dartmouth Crossing this year will be the opening of Phase III of the Main Street retail area near the Empire Theatres complex. (TED PRITCHARD / Staff)

IT PROMISES to be a busy spring at Dartmouth Crossing development-wise despite a stifling of the retail sector across Canada due to the recession.

"We’re obviously not building as quickly as when we first opened, but there is still a lot going on," Glenn Munroe, managing director in eastern Canada for North American Development Group, said Tuesday.

"In the coming weeks a significant number of announcements are expected," he said from Montreal.

A new CIBC branch has opened at a central location within the 200-hectare shopping, dining and entertainment area and a new Henry’s Camera outlet is expected to open in about a week. The Hampton Inn and Suites is scheduled to open within a few weeks and Costco is preparing to soon open its second location in Halifax-Dartmouth.

"There will be a lot going on during spring that will be visible to the eye. There will also be a lot going on behind the scenes on the retail side and with other components of the development," said Mr. Munroe.

The most significant development at the site this year will be the opening of Phase III of the Main Street retail area in the vicinity of the Empire Theatres complex.

Although the managing director would not get into specifics, the rumour mill has been churning out stories about some once-interested retailers postponing plans to locate within the extension of the Main Street site.

There is about 100,000 square feet of available retail space available in Phase III and it is no secret that most of the major Canadian retail chains have adjusted expansion plans to meet the new reality of the recession.

Mr. Munroe said new participants for Phase III are stepping forward to replace those who’ve stalled their plans for various reasons.

"The issue these days is to get the various retailers operating on the same page as far as some opening dates goes," he said.

He noted a new tenant has been secured for the Linens ’N Things location left vacant after the North American chain went bankrupt last year.

Besides activity on the retail side at Dartmouth Crossing, there will be continuing site improvements.

"The site will offer a number of unique features, including an amphitheatre, walkways and a brook that ranks as the second largest trout stream in the province," he said.

Planning is also continuing for a major office-space development and for a residential component that is expected to bring about 2,500 residential units to the area.

Plans for growth at the competing Bayers Lake Business Park in Halifax suffered a setback earlier this year when Plazacorp Retail Properties Ltd. decided against exercising the option it held on an 88-acre site adjacent to the shopping area.

( bpower@herald.ca)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 11:56 PM

So costco is still opening. I heard they were reconsidering opening their new store, but I figured it wasn't true seeing as how the store is pretty well complete.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 3:15 AM

One thing I find interesting is the image that came originally with this article say Phase III is opening this Fall which seems very far away considering the stores have been completed on the outside at least since last Fall. If they want retailers to move in shouldn't they open the area up so the ones that are lined up now can move in before backing out due to waiting for other people to line-up?

And I'm very curious to know whos filling in the Linen 'n Things location. That was a big store so whoever it is will probably be recgonizable.

BTW they now have Hampton Inn & Suites as opening on April 16.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 1:56 PM

They want to open in fall to avoid the slow time of the year, Spring and summer for most stores. Guaranteeing strong profits for new stores in time for Christmas. Also is it just me or is this place hard as hell to drive around? I hate driving down in DC.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 3:46 PM

I find since they opened up the road behind the Costco, it's a hell of a lot easier to navigate.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 4:17 PM
Closed account

With the exception of JYSK and the 24-hour Wal-Mart(sometimes you need to buy bulk cat food at 10pm on a Sunday), I still find there is very little in Dartmouth Crossing that is different enough to draw me there and out of Halifax or Bayers Lake.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 5:51 PM

The public hearing to rezone the remaining DC lands is scheduled for May 11, 2009 @ Harbour East Community Council.

Staff Report - Case 01222

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 7:21 PM

Hampton Inn & Suites NOW OPEN

New Stores Opening / Printer Friendly Map

NOW OPEN!

CIBC, Henry's Cameras, Hampton Inn & Suites, Moxie's Classic Grill, SellOffVacations.com, Subway and Wok Box

Dartmouth Crossing is excited to announce the following stores coming soon. Check back often for updates on other stores planning to open soon.

Costco - Opening May 2009
Starbucks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs