HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 8:08 PM

Starbucks Open Friday, May 29, 2009!
Starbucks Coffee Company is the leading retailer, roaster and brand of specialty coffee in the world, with more than 6,000 retail locations in North America, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and the Pacific Rim. Visit their newest location now open in Dartmouth Crossing!

=======================================================================================================================

Dartmouth Crossing Obtains Residential Zoning Approval
Dartmouth – On May 11th, 2009, Harbour East Community Council approved Dartmouth Crossing’s re-zoning application for approximately 100 acres to allow for residential and small commercial development. Previously, the land had been zoned I-2 which allowed industrial and commercial development on an as-of-right basis. The re-zoned land is located at the north end of Dartmouth Crossing atop the quarry wall, sloping down to Hwy 118 and Lake Charles. It will be accessible from the extension on Finlay Ave, above the existing intersection of Finlay and Wright Avenue.

The residential component is the natural extension of Dartmouth Crossing’s development philosophy, allowing HRM citizens- a “Live, Work, Play” environment with proximity to both work in Burnside and shopping/ entertaining in Dartmouth Crossing, with bike and walking paths on-site and access to the extensive local park system.

“The way is now cleared for us to begin work on our Development Agreement application,” said Glenn Munro, Managing Partner-Eastern Canada for North American Development Group- the owners of Dartmouth Crossings. “It will be an extensive process negotiating a agreement with the HRM detailing what and where we can build, building heights, densities, setbacks and buffering from the adjacent Burnside Park.”

“There will be extensive discussions, meetings and input from many interest groups, including area businesses, park users and the residents across Lake Charles”, said Munro, adding “ We intend to bring the same standards to the residential component that we brought to Dartmouth Crossing’s iconic retail buildings, quality construction and architecture set into a sustainably-built environment.

If all goes to plan, residential construction could begin in late 2010 or 2011. All transportation and utility infrastructure services required to support the development are in place, provided for when Dartmouth Crossing reworked the old Whebby quarry for the first phase of retail.

Updates and additional information on Dartmouth Crossing’s residential activities will be posted regularly.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 9:28 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Surprised it took this long for Tims to open...
An employee of Spring told me a long time ago that different owners of Tims were all competing for a spot but when the property owner found out they hiked up the cost and all of them just ended up saying forget it. This was a while ago so I'm not sure how truthful it was.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 7:20 PM

New Stores Opening

NOW OPEN!

Costco, Quizno's Subs, Starbucks, CIBC, Henry's Cameras, Hampton Inn & Suites, Moxie's Classic Grill, and SellOffVacations.com.

Dartmouth Crossing is excited to announce the following stores coming soon. Check back often for updates on other stores planning to open soon.

Calvin Klein
A&W
Tim Horton's
OPA Greek Taverena
Japanese Restaurant

My guess is both of the restaurants will be near Swiss Chalet, Starbucks, and Quiznos in the Empire Theatre area.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 11:51 PM

I heard the entire group of restaurants owned my Elles and Tzanetas where in serious financial trouble and where facing bancrupcy.....this group includs...Seven wine bar, Mosaic social dinning (two of my absolute favorite spots) The Argyle, Opa Tavern on Argyle and Opa in Bayer's lake and now Opa DC....guess the rumors aren't true ....if they have the funds to be expanding it hardly sounds like they are facing bancrupcy....which is strange because I heard this rumor from several sources and on multiple occasions........i must say however they have an impressive collection of establishments.....with the exception of the argyle....(which is seriously trashy)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 12:42 AM

I've heard those rumours too. Would be an absolute shame if they were true though. That would kill more then half of Argyle, not to mention Mosaic, my fav restaurant in the city!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
I heard the entire group of restaurants owned my Elles and Tzanetas where in serious financial trouble and where facing bancrupcy.....this group includs...Seven wine bar, Mosaic social dinning (two of my absolute favorite spots) The Argyle, Opa Tavern on Argyle and Opa in Bayer's lake and now Opa DC....guess the rumors aren't true ....if they have the funds to be expanding it hardly sounds like they are facing bancrupcy....which is strange because I heard this rumor from several sources and on multiple occasions........i must say however they have an impressive collection of establishments.....with the exception of the argyle....(which is seriously trashy)
I hear some (the 2 Opas) are doing well, the others (Mosaic and Seven) are hurting. Dunno about the Argyle. I wonder if the 3rd Opa will spread them too thin.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 5:52 AM

Okay thanks to a map I found in Dartmouth Crossing tonight I found out locations for a few places;

Calvin Klein - Lot "22" which is located in the fashion district and backs onto the Grassy Brook buffer zone. If you cross the bridge over the Brook it is the first building on the right.

A&W - Lot "28" which is located on the corner of Countryview and Shubie. If you're coming down Countryview heading to the Wright Ave ramps its the area on the left immediately following the theatre stoplights.

Tim Horton's - Lot "29" which is located in the same area as the A&W but is further up Countryview (closer to Wright Ave).

The two restaurants listed are not on the map yet and due to lack of visible construction I cannot say for sure where they are going to be located.

General Construction Updates:

Hampton Inn and Suites is complete and does not look too bad.

The final few stores are being opened in the Shops Southern Section (Calvin Klein).

The ampitheatre on Grassy Brook is almost complete and is looking well.

The land is cleared and grading has begun for the gas bar/fast food area off of Shubie Drive (Tim Horton's and A&W). No building forms are visible yet.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jun 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 4:51 PM

i already much prefer going to DC over Bayer's Lake....not just because it's a shorter journey, and the cool trip across the bridge.....

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:46 PM

I prefer it because its not as busy. In the end it will have around the same amount of stores but because of the way it's laid out traffic will flow a lot easier. It is so much smarter then having everything built off one strip.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_scott View Post
I prefer it because its not as busy. In the end it will have around the same amount of stores but because of the way it's laid out traffic will flow a lot easier. It is so much smarter then having everything built off one strip.
Ya... Bayer's Lake was never actually designed for retail.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 9:18 PM

I like mainly because it has the nicest theatre and its the closest to my house. Last night I got from my house to Empires in 12 mins!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 12:22 AM

Yeah, but no IMAX. O well.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 7:46 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Yeah, but no IMAX. O well.
I would say that there is plenty of room to add IMAX someday if needed. There is that side parking on the non restaurant side of the building that they could be an addition.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 8:54 PM

man, moxie's is way overstaffed....I've had at least 12 girls, apply at HH from moxies....

apparently each server is only alloted 4 tables per shift, and if those four tables remain empty, then so does their pocket book...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 9:04 PM

moxies also has a min. of twelve line cook's on at all times....to ensure food is served in 15 Min. or less.....

that's not including all the other kitchen staff that would be working at any given time...
and they never send staff home ....
even if it is completely dead...

and any time one enters the lounge side of moxie's, when it is not busy, there is at least 4-5 serves standing around doing nothing....
just watching their 4 empty tables....

man, send a couple girl's home and increase the remaining girls sections......it's not rocket science.......

the manager should be ashamed.....in business one must be adapptable.....and try to keep operating cost's as low as possible...lol

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post

Dartmouth Crossing Obtains Residential Zoning Approval
Dartmouth – On May 11th, 2009, Harbour East Community Council approved Dartmouth Crossing’s re-zoning application for approximately 100 acres to allow for residential and small commercial development.
Cool, though I don't think I'd want to live there.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 4:56 PM

Vacant commercial space at the Dartmouth Crossing development in March. The Atlantic Provinces Economic Council says Nova Scotia will see a two per cent rise in major spending on big projects this year, but it has slipped to third place in the region. (Ted Pritchard / Staff)

That photo originally came from THIS article which is about the spending on major projects in Atlantic Canada.

One thing to note is apparently since DC opened sales at Mic Mac Mall have increased by 20% which is good news.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 9:40 PM

^ So, do we have any idea whats going in those shops yet, or did I miss something? They have been ready for ever it seems.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 12:03 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_scott View Post
^ So, do we have any idea whats going in those shops yet, or did I miss something? They have been ready for ever it seems.
they've all secured retailers I have heard, but will not be opening until the late summer or autumn.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 9:55 PM

The Shops at Dartmouth Crossing - Photos by Bedford_DJ

And as a side note the Petcetera up by Staples is closing down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs