HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:03 PM

I've been a season ticket holder at Pioneer Theater Company for about 10 years, and it seems to me like the theater has been a little more empty the last few years. I don't have any data on this other than my own observations. Particularly when they do lesser known plays, the crowd seems more sparse.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:54 PM

The Capitol Theater has been extending shows for Ballet West as well as Utah Opera.

Additionally, Ballet West has provided additional services to schools in the form or free mid-day performances that were more limited previously. This has increase in the last year.

I know they have also had some additional shows from external companies (comedians, magicians, etc.) that have come through. The additional availability has provided more freedom in scheduling.

Lastly, the new theater has allowed Abravanel Hall to expand the musical offerings (Orchestra at the Movies) where before it was an overflow of sorts for comedic performances when Capitol was booked.

I am not sure how Kingsbury Hall has been doing. This is the 1 theater that most were worried about due to it being at the University rather than downtown.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 5:23 PM

Has anyone heard updates on the Northwest Pipeline project? I believe that is starting this year, right?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 2:31 PM

I bet you guys didn't realize you were so cool.

MOVE HUB: World's Coolest Cities on the Hipster Index / 446 cities across 20 countries - Salt Lake City #3

The Hipster Index: Brighton Pips Portland to Global Top Spot
by FREDERICK O'BRIEN - Last updated on 19 Apr 2018 - https://www.movehub.com/blog/the-hipster-index/

We pride ourselves on asking the important questions here at MoveHub. In this day and age there’s no time for frivolity. Serious times demand serious questions, and ours was, “What’s the most hipster city in the world?” Our pretentious brethren deserve attention. It’s all they really want. So we rolled up our plaid sleeves and worked out exactly where to find them...

Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

Last year’s US-focused project is something we’re proud of, but it was clear our methods could be improved. Lessons learned and public feedback have allowed us to go back to the drawing board and refine the process.

Our new, improved, alternative Hipster Index combines five data points: the number of vegan eateries, coffee shops, tattoo studios, vintage boutiques, and record stores per 100,000 city residents. Combined and weighted they produce a Hipster Index score out of ten for each city. To prevent inflated numbers — and preserve our sanity — we excluded cities with populations below 150,000.

We looked at 446 cities across 20 countries. That’s 2,834 record stores, 7,772 vegan eats, 14,588 tattoo studios, 15,549 vintage boutiques, and 93,203 coffee shops covering a combined population of over 200,000,000 people. Serious. Bloody. Business.

Check out the full results below.

1 Brighton and Hove UK 8.1632

2 Portland USA 8.1631

3 Salt Lake City USA 7.8527

4 Seattle USA 7.0290

5 Lisbon Portugal 6.9437

6 Fort Lauderdale USA 6.8577

7 Miami USA 6.8369

8 Orlando USA 6.8288

9 Helsinki Finland 6.7052

10 Spokane USA 6.6950

Showing 1 to 10 of 446 entries - For Full Results, Go To - https://www.movehub.com/blog/the-hipster-index/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Has anyone heard updates on the Northwest Pipeline project? I believe that is starting this year, right?
Last update I have heard was this:

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/cou...sing-projects/

"Construction of the Violin School Commons will start later this year with a completion date of 2020."

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:42 PM
Belt Route

Sounds like time for a new ad campaign...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:49 PM

They should add another category: number of people wearing girl style glass frames per 100,000 residents.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:50 PM

Websites keep making these click bait lists because of knuckleheads like me who can't resist.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:59 PM

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
They should add another category: number of people wearing girl style glass frames per 100,000 residents.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:12 PM

Old Posted Today, 5:33 AM
SLC or BUST

Read the info here on tower 8

SORRY TO BE A BUMMER.

EST GROSS SQ FTG: 645,000
NUMBER OF FLOORS:21
THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE BUILDING IF THEY ARE REALLY BUILDING IT.

Last edited by SLC2GeorgetownU; Today at 5:36 AM. Reason: ADD INFO

Old Posted Today, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
I absolutely love what wasatch community gardens does and what they represent, but I feel like they need to branch out into aquiring small parcels and spreading gardens throughout the city. If people know they can have a space to go and grow vegetables and work with earth, they might be less apprehensive about moving into dense housing. But that works better when gardens are just a short walk away, and I don't know if making a larger campus really does more than creating a new one.

Anyways, it's planting season. My entire tiny yalecrest lot is filled to the brim with planter boxes :-) Xeriscaping in the front w/ tomatoes and almost the entire back lot is a fruit and veggie garden. I really wish people took advantage of the space that they would fill with unused grass to make something productive and valuable - and damn delicious. It's a shame that so much space is available in SLC for gardening, yet people just put down turf. I would much rather tend to my tomatoes than mow a lawn. It really is fairly easy, a great habit to get into, and it provides you with incredibly low cost, low-carbon, local, organic delicious produce. I think wasatch should start advocating for people to use the space they have more productively, and making a wide range of small campuses that dot the city for those who can't. But I would spend the money to aquire land from teardowns throughout the city and build gardens that way, as opposed to making a fancy campus.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West