HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 6:06 AM

Are decorative spires a cheap way of adding height?

IMO, it is, but I want to know what you all think. The Trump Building in Chicago has overtaken the Empire State Building as the 3rd tallest in the US even though the building is 100 feet shorter. On top of that, the spire dous not really add any beauty to the building.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 4:18 PM

Actually it's quite expensive.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 4:44 PM

yes. and they original poster was obviously relativley speaking. Its so stupid how petronas towers were taller than sears tower. The height of each building should be to the roof. Counting spires and not counting antennas is just supid. Just have 1 way to measure a building

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 4:51 PM

I say that Petronas can still be taller than Sears structurally speaking, but the building height of the structure should end at the roof height, therefore Sears would be the taller building and Petronas would be the taller structure.

And when I say building only buildings that are at least 50% occupyable throughout the length of it.

Of course roof height doesn't have to be limited to the top floor of a building. The Transamerica Pyramid for example. Extensions can count if they themselves can host a roof or a top that has at least 2 dimensions.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 5:19 PM
video et taceo

no, they are design elements, to be considered as part of the building's overall structure, intent and appeal.

would you have us cut the spires of the petronas towers just to preserve some meaningless ranking? to assuage the autistic fanboys of chicago?

the spires make the building more beautiful. who cares about their relative proximity to the roof of another building thousands of miles away.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 5:49 PM

I can't picture the Sears Tower without its antenna. Does that not mean it has become apart of the overall design of the building? Even if unintenional? I don't see why just because they have a functional purpose, that they ARE NOT apart of the height. They still exist, and look great for the building. If you show a child a picture of the Sears and Petronas Towers side by side, and ask which is taller, your answer is will always be the Sears, sorry Willis Tower.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 6:16 PM

Attachments like antennae and flagpoles don't count because they're not part of the building.

The cylinders that host the antennae on the other hand is another story.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 6:48 PM
BANNED

^^^ I think determining whether or not something is a part of a building is a much more philosophical question than that. Clearly a flagpole isn't a part of a building if its just tacked on at a later date, but what about the Milwaukee City Hall which was clearly designed to have an architectural spire that ended in a flag pole. So not only did the design of the building originally call for a flag pole, but the flag pole directly contributed to the intended use of the building by displaying the nation, state, and civic colors of the government within. So in that case, I think the flag pole is clearly a part of the building both physically and philosophically.

Quote:
would you have us cut the spires of the petronas towers just to preserve some meaningless ranking? to assuage the autistic fanboys of chicago?
Great use of a mental disorder to insult other people, super mature... Anyhow, no one is saying that people should cut spires off of buildings, that is absurd. People are suggesting that there are better ways of measuring height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
no, they are design elements, to be considered as part of the building's overall structure, intent and appeal.
Ok, so lets talk about the Antenna of the John Hancock Center in Chicago.

1. The antenna are clearly a part of the overall structure since the building was specifically designed to support them and all the structural loads associated with them. There are extensive structural accommodations building into the framing of the building to do this not to mention huge metal stubs protruding from the roof to take the load of antennae.

2. They are clearly intended by the original design. Not only was the structure heavily specialized to support them, but part of the financial reasoning for building one tall building instead of twin short ones was to put antenna on top, so the form of the building was heavily influenced by their presence. Also, JHC is a prime example of structural expressionism and functional "machine age" architecture. Thus, when we exam the aesthetic philosophy behind the design, we realize the building's form is almost entirely determined by function. Therefore, since the intended functions of the building were to house residents and offices, provide retail, and house antennae and broadcast equipment, the antenna are just as much a part of the aesthetic intent as the spire on the Chrysler building.

3. Finally, the appeal of the Hancock design is just as I said above, it is "High Tech" architecture, it is functional architecture, it is "structurally expressive" architecture. Thus the aesthetic appeal of the building is its high tech, functional, and structurally expressive look. Its hard to imagine that anyone doesn't believe that raw, exposed antennae and trusses don't look more "high tech", "functional", or "structurally expressive". If those terms are what you define as appealing, then the antennae on the JHC are absolutely integral to the design of the building.

Quote:
the spires make the building more beautiful. who cares about their relative proximity to the roof of another building thousands of miles away.
Obviously "who cares" are those who are interested in comparing the heights and dimensions of buildings. I could frankly care less about how tall the Hancock building is. In my opinion it is one of the few masterpieces of supertall design and the pinnacle of the victory of function over decoration. I find the antenna on the Hancock beautiful, so I guess they should be considered comparable to spires.

Also, what happens to the height of a building when an antennae is no longer used? For example, say they building a 2000' tower in Chicago with lots of brand new antennae space on top right next to the Hancock (god forbid, I want JHC to stand on its own for a long time) and it renders the antennae there useless since a much better signal can be achieved from 2000' than 1500'. Now, especially in the case of JHC, those antennae are completely decorative, a reminder of the design aesthetic that made JHC so great. Does that convert them into spires? They certainly aren't antennae if they don't contain any electronic components... The petronas were completed with no spires longer than the Hancock was completed (it wasn't finished before the antennae were erected) before the antennae were added. So you can't say that they stay antennae because they were added after construction since other "spires" have been added long after completion and still count...

Having a different category for spires and antennae causes all sorts of problems for no benefit...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 7:46 PM
BANNED

^^ i agree in all what you said, so for me the Willis (Sears) Towers comes first of T101 and Petronas. The whole structure is what it counts on, no matter the function. We can not ignore for example the antenna function of 2/3 of the whole height sctructure in buildings like the ones in Sao Paulo, which many of the office buildings belongs to communication companies with many electronic and communications devices connected with several cables and equipments to the offices inside in top floors, where we really don't know when exactly the roof height finishes. For me the top of antenna or spire or roof is what much counts in the height design, depending on what comes first as tallest. Not only about design, the complete building roof and its reinf. concrete structure was projected and calculated to support the imense weight atop it. It is all about engeneering theme also. Of course, only when antenna for Tv reception and other devices like flight light are too thin to be recognized in whole design, can them be disconsidered.
See this example:
185m Trianon Corporate 700 Tower = office (70m) + Globo Digital Antenna Tower atop (115m) Al. Santos 700 Sao Paulo-SP
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6359369

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 5:32 AM
Dryer lint inspector

the spire adds quite a but to the trump building and it would look awkward without it but this is the first i've heard that its taller than the ESB. i only heard about it being chicago's 2nd tallest but then again, JHC's (and sears') antennae should also be counted because they are now associated with design of the building.

draw a trapezoid with two lines sticking up at the top and you have what most identify as the JHC.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I can't picture the Sears Tower without its antenna. Does that not mean it has become apart of the overall design of the building? Even if unintenional? I don't see why just because they have a functional purpose, that they ARE NOT apart of the height. They still exist, and look great for the building. If you show a child a picture of the Sears and Petronas Towers side by side, and ask which is taller, your answer is will always be the Sears, sorry Willis Tower.
That even rings more true for the Empire State Building IMO. I agree that if you count spires, you should count antannes in the overall height.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
the spire adds quite a but to the trump building and it would look awkward without it but this is the first i've heard that its taller than the ESB. i only heard about it being chicago's 2nd tallest but then again, JHC's (and sears') antennae should also be counted because they are now associated with design of the building.

draw a trapezoid with two lines sticking up at the top and you have what most identify as the JHC.
The Trump Building in Chicago is 1362 ft (because of its spire) while the ESB is 1250 ft.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 7:44 PM

autistic fan boys of chicago? wtf!
im not saying there shouldnt be any spires, im just saying that they shouldnt count as part of the buildings height. And its not like im denying any new buildings are taller, i just think its stupid when spires are counted and antennas are not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Skyscrapercompare.svg
How can you say petronas are taller than sears? If youre at the top floor looking down, sears is obvi taller.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 9:26 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well the Petrona's Spire's are more intricate than the antenna's and are obviously incorporated into the design.

Here's how I see it:

Spire: If the spire is intricate like the Petrona's, the Taipei, Burj, etc, etc... then it should be counted in the overall height.

If it's a skinny little pole like on top of Trump Chicago of the Pentominium then it's complete bull shit and should not be counted. Even if the oroginal plans include it.

Antenna's: They shouldn't count all all. Including the Freedom Tower's. Although, that may be an exception since it's more intricate than most and is obviously thicker.

And yes, it seems like Chicago fanboys are the ones who start these conversation first but that's not the topic here.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 10:24 PM
Senior Committee

Would you guys remove the Chrysler Buildings spire and change the records to say that it was never the worlds tallest building?

Spires have been used to break records and for marketing reasons since the first skyscrapers were built.

To suddenly have this desire to stop counting them now is to ignore a very large part of our skyscraper heritage.

The story of the Chrysler building raising its spire to beat 40 Wall Street has gone down as one of the great architectural myths. And i'm sure the Sears vs Petronas saga will be remembered in the same light 50 years from now.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 10:24 PM
Ω

The real answer is architectural elements are what is included in official height. And I'm pretty sure the antennas on the Sear's Tower today were installed in the early 80s. The CTBUH office in across the hallway so I could just ask them.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 1:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Well the Petrona's Spire's are more intricate than the antenna's and are obviously incorporated into the design.

Here's how I see it:

Spire: If the spire is intricate like the Petrona's, the Taipei, Burj, etc, etc... then it should be counted in the overall height.

If it's a skinny little pole like on top of Trump Chicago of the Pentominium then it's complete bull shit and should not be counted. Even if the oroginal plans include it.

Antenna's: They shouldn't count all all. Including the Freedom Tower's. Although, that may be an exception since it's more intricate than most and is obviously thicker.

And yes, it seems like Chicago fanboys are the ones who start these conversation first but that's not the topic here.
Haha, talk about ambiguous, subjective ways to measure height... I'm glad you aren't working for CTBUH or the rules would be worse than they already are. What are you talking about "intricate"? How the heck does one measure that? "Chrysler's Spire has 1253 units of intricate, but the spire on trump only has 563 units of intricate, therefore the spire on Trump doesn't count..." That's just ridiculous...

Let me just ask you a question, how do you even define the word spire vs. the word antenna? What is the difference?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 1:37 AM
Desert Dweller

Well in cases like this:

rider314

Yes.

Although I don't mind spires such as the ones on the Petronas Towers, they do fit in with the design and I couldn't imagine the buildings without their spires. I still consider the Sears Tower taller, it is a taller BUILDING, so I personally go by roof height. I mean the NY Times Tower shouldn't be considered the tied for second tallest in New York just because of that dainty little spire, I personally don't think it is really needed in the design.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 2:45 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

God yes, I never understood that. Having the fins, which are wayyy more intricate than the antenna, count in the height is fine with me but the pole? Really? Like I said, stupid little dinky poles like the one on Trump shouldn't count. Conde Nast, Pentomunium, etc...

This shouldn't count in height:

link

These should count up to the ball.

This should count up to the structure then the rest of the poll is BS.

link

More intricate structures that add height like crowns should be counted though. Like the Shanghai Tower. But the dinky spike at the top of Jin Mao shouldn't. By the way I can't wait till this tower rises, it's gonna be the best twisting tower [as long as they don't mess up with the glass].

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/shangha...ghai_tower.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Haha, talk about ambiguous, subjective ways to measure height... I'm glad you aren't working for CTBUH or the rules would be worse than they already are. What are you talking about "intricate"? How the heck does one measure that? "Chrysler's Spire has 1253 units of intricate, but the spire on trump only has 563 units of intricate, therefore the spire on Trump doesn't count..." That's just ridiculous...

Let me just ask you a question, how do you even define the word spire vs. the word antenna? What is the difference?
lol... what the hell is an unit of intricate? Where did you come up with these units? Just give it a rest, you know what I mean. No need to turn this thread into a hostile discussion.

Last edited by Aleks; Oct 1, 2009 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 7:14 AM
I am a typical

I really don't think the architects add spires to these buildings saying, "There! Now it will be taller than that other building!" They're part of the design. Complaining that the building's architecture gives it an unfair advantage over another building with antennas placed on the roof is just penis envy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture