HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 11:57 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
Right, b/c, on average, Georgia Tech she-engineers are on par (in terms of ratio and attractiveness) with girls from UGA, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miami, Chapel Hill, USC, College of Charleston, and UVA. Gimme a break. I went to GaTech.

Re: the "shack" -- I actually don't mind it. The arch looks vaguely Roman to me with the rooftop house. I agree, though, that a patinaed copper look would have been attractive.
Best looking individual male and female college undergrad. I think the guy was on manhunt, I may be completely off with the girl though, I just heard thats 10% thing somewhere. Probably BS if you ask me.

Last edited by dante2308; Jun 26, 2008 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 4:33 PM
Dutton Brown Design

Yea the guy was my lab partner (he was on the Manhunt show). Our teacher changed his grade after finding out that he missed a test to go to the show premiere. Shame... he had all A's up to that point too. But yea, Joey, walking through Tech can be like wildlife safari... barefooted, never-shaven, matted, tagged-ears, that kind of thing. (Has anyone seen or heard of "Red Jesus"?)... I think that's the nature of a tech school. Some exceptions though.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 5:59 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
(Has anyone seen or heard of "Red Jesus"?)
I just graduated from Tech, and he graduated with me. Actually a pretty funny guy, but he of course has a reputation for being ridiculous. I will certainly miss seeing him bound across campus with his red curls bouncing along.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
I just graduated from Tech,....
Whatttttttttttt????

I thought you were like sixty. And you were bustin' my chops last week - I am your senior buddy! Next time I want a little respect for your elders.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 6:56 PM
Reliable Source

BDaddy,

I think he's a she, FYI.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
BDaddy,

I think he's a she, FYI.
Well she is a man hatter and sassy!

Hey gttx, want to go to dinner with me?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 8:35 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabydaddyATL View Post
Well she is a man hatter and sassy!

Hey gttx, want to go to dinner with me?
Fiorenza has his genders crossed a little bit.....but this is Atlanta, after all

I suppose it's a good thing that you thought I was almost triple my age, but I am, in fact, still a student. I graduated in May from Tech with a BS in Civil Engineering (focus: structural engineering) and a minor in Architectural History. I'm moving to Philadelphia in the fall to study Urban Design & Development at University of Pennsylvania.

I'd love to have architectural debates any time, but I'll politely turn down the offer for dinner....

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 8:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Fiorenza has his genders crossed a little bit.....but this is Atlanta, after all

I suppose it's a good thing that you thought I was almost triple my age, but I am, in fact, still a student. I graduated in May from Tech with a BS in Civil Engineering (focus: structural engineering) and a minor in Architectural History. I'm moving to Philadelphia in the fall to study Urban Design & Development at University of Pennsylvania.

I'd love to have architectural debates any time, but I'll politely turn down the offer for dinner....
Fiorenza, you big dummy! I thought with all that anger she is a he. Last time I ever listen to you.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 8:54 PM
Urban Explorer

PS: that avatar is hilarious.

(all discussion of that should go to the "Best Political Team on Television" thread...)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 10:57 PM
Reliable Source

Quote:
Last time I ever listen to you.
Thank you. Although, if gttx were a femme he/she'd be a wildcat!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 11:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Thank you. Although, if gttx were a femme he/she'd be a wildcat!
For the record Fiorenza, I am a man.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 12:07 AM
Reliable Source

To me you're just a bunch of bits and bytes.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
Perhaps it's because it looks so much better than its surroundings. Like a hot girl among the other Georgia Tech engineers.
This is probably the best quote in the history of this forum.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 12:25 AM

We were in the VIP area for the dedication of the monument today. It was pretty cool -- open bar, live Sousa music, John Lewis and Bob Barr spoke (that doesn't happen at the same place very often) and Rodney Cook had a heart-felt message. When you actually stand under the arch, the proportions seem just right. This thing is growing on me and I really dig the pallisade along the pond.

Free admission to the museum all weekend. Come on down!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 4:31 AM

18 pages? But a nod in the LA Times isn't bad.
--------------------

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...track=ntothtml
From the Los Angeles Times
Atlanta's new arch raises a few eyebrows
The Millennium Gate reflects one designer's dream of giving his hometown a more classical look. Not everyone is impressed.
By Jenny Jarvie
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

July 5, 2008

ATLANTA — On a sunny morning in June, Rodney Cook Jr. stood atop an 82-foot limestone arch embellished with Latin inscriptions and bronze sculptures, waving a salmon-striped shirtsleeve at the panorama below.

"Imagine this as something lovely, like the Royal Crescent in Bath," the genteel philanthropist enthused, pointing at the flat concrete roof of a row of new apartments. Just beyond were a squat IKEA warehouse, a parking lot and a 150,000-square-foot Target. "Imagine!"

Cook, 51, the descendant of one of Atlanta's oldest families, has long dreamed of bestowing a more classical architectural style upon his Southern hometown.

Friday, he unveiled the Millennium Gate, a grand homage to the Arch of Titus with a plaza lined with a curving colonnade and a sculptural allegory celebrating peaceful accomplishment over the last 2,000 years.

The $20-million structure, privately funded by Atlanta philanthropists, is the largest classical public monument built in the United States since the Jefferson Memorial opened in Washington in 1943.

It sits just off the 16-lane freeway that courses through Midtown Atlanta, soaring above a small retention pond in the city's biggest mixed-use development.

Yet it seems almost miniature when viewed against the backdrop of a shimmering 26-story glass hotel tower. From another angle -- in front of a Starbucks -- the yellow IKEA logo peeks through the arch. Some are already calling it the "Arche d'IKEA."

Americans have long approached public monuments with unease, and the Millennium Gate is no exception. Although Cook says he just wants his city to exude a little more charm, critics wonder whether it's possible to successfully graft a classical monument onto the mishmash of glossy skyscrapers, concrete parking lots and squat strip malls of Atlanta.

As the structure rose, it inspired 18 pages of comments on the online architecture forum Skyscraperpage.com. Aghast residents described it as a "mock homage to bombast" and a "kitschy McMonument that bespeaks a cultural inferiority complex for all the world to see."

"It's like Berlin building a half-size replica of a pyramid in 1880," railed a blogger. "Why?"

Within contemporary American architectural circles -- where many are concerned about declining infrastructure, inadequate transportation and retrofitting of buildings to make them more energy-efficient -- there is deep suspicion of neoclassical monuments.

"Do we really need that kind of grandeur?" said Kirk Savage, associate professor of history of art and architecture at the University of Pittsburgh. "It's a little self-defeating to represent your city moving forward into the future with a nostalgic return to the past -- especially if it's a past that never really existed in the first place."

Growing up in a mansion in the city's wealthy enclave of Buckhead, Cook spent hours creating tiny replicas of famous buildings from Paris and Rome.

"People say this city is a young city -- it's not," he said. "It's approximately 175 years old -- I know 50 is supposed to be the new 40, but please! This city is at the point of maturity now. "

Cook did not go to architecture school -- he worried he would come out a Modernist -- but he has long had designs on Atlanta's public space.

In the early 1990s, he proposed building a lavish Beaux Arts plaza in Atlanta to celebrate the 1996 Summer Olympics. He attracted donors, but the city's Urban Design Commission decided against the project after local architectural experts ridiculed his designs.

In 1996, he secured funds from Prince Charles' architectural fund to build the World Athletes Monument, a 55-foot-tall work featuring five bronze sculptures holding up a globe.

Not a decade had passed, however, before there was talk of moving the monument. In 2004 a developer approached Georgia's Department of Transportation to discuss relocating the sculpture to make way for a new development. Cook wrote an impassioned editorial in the local newspaper; the monument remained.

The Millennium Gate was initially planned as a $50-million arch for Washington's Barney Circle, but it was moved to Atlanta after enthusiasm in the capital waned after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Unlike many of the heroic arches that inspired it, the monument does not celebrate military victory. According to the website of the National Monuments Foundation, of which Cook is president, it is "first and foremost . . . a work of art." But it is also a "cutting-edge educational tool," which tells a "threefold story" of peaceful accomplishment since the birth of Christ, the ascension of the United States and Atlanta's resurgence as a "giant, globally important city."

To this end, Cook built a 12,000-square-foot boutique museum of Georgia history inside the arch, featuring displays compiled by the Atlanta History Center, as well as Indian pottery and British Colonial porcelain donated by local philanthropists. The project began with much fanfare, with public officials such as Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue and Mayor Shirley Franklin greeting the bronze statues after they were shipped from Scotland to Savannah and wheeled through Georgia on a Percheron-drawn caisson.

Yet critics say that however well-executed the monument, scale is everything.

"This city's monuments are its taller buildings," said Edward Dougherty, a landscape architect in Atlanta. "It's a noble effort to create order out of chaos, but it's hard when everyone's as independent as a hog on ice."

About Cook's hope of bringing the English Palladian style of the Royal Crescent buildings to town, Dougherty said: "This ain't Bath."

Even if Atlantans can't translate the Latin inscriptions or understand the allegorical purpose of the classical figures depicted on the Millennium Gate, many seem to admire it.

"It's like a mini Arc de Triomphe!" exclaimed John Ziegler, a developer from Gulf Shores, Ala., as he sat in the IKEA parking lot browsing a catalog of kitchen cabinets.

Asked whether that was good or bad, he gave a vigorous nod of his head. "Oh, yeah, it's gorgeous!" he said.

Upstairs in the IKEA cafeteria, Kathryn Cash, 56, a teacher, said Atlanta was at heart a Southern city, and a classical arch could translate well. "It has that graciousness we aspire to," she said.

The Millennium Gate may turn out to be an apt monument for the city, expressing the schizophrenia of its rapid development steeped in nostalgic architectural styles. As Cook notes, developers have experimented with a range of classical and vernacular styles in skyscrapers, townhomes, apartments and condos throughout Atlanta.

"Look, none of this is really modern," he scoffed, leaning against the stucco balcony of his arch to point out the traditional features -- from Roman windows to broken pediments -- of all the new buildings below.

jenny.jarvie@latimes.com

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 1:14 PM

Why is it so many architects rail against classic architecture if it is done new? They tend to turn their noses up at it and call it replica (which is really what Greek Revival, Italianate, etc styles already were...)
I'm a big advocate of reusing older styles or incorporating main characteristics into a modern form.

I'm unsure about the MGate but I admire where he is coming from. There isn't a lot of architecture in Atlanta I find particularly appealing (although to be fair, things are getting better)

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 2:21 PM

I am not against a monument at any place in Atlanta, but I feel Millenium Gate lacks architectural appealing. It doesn't stand out as a pieace of art in Atlantic station, and its design and quality of contruction are no difference than any buildings in that area. As a mini historic musuem, it does display materials through which visitors understand more about this great nation and Altanta.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 2:41 PM

Well I am asking less about the MGate specifically and more about why architects rail against revivals of classic architecture?

I like the Gate ok but its surroundings do not fit the monument. Atlanta has a harsh cold architecture, and I'd bet that love it or hate it the Gate outlasts some of the buildings at Atlantic Station.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 3:05 PM

The significant other and I visited the "Gate" on opening day. Alas a private reception kept the public out (that was us as we are not part of the landed gentry of ATL) at the so-called 11 am opening time; we were told to return at 2 p.m. (after a delightful lunch at IKEA) but were not permitted to go to the top (reserved for press and I guess for the gentleman from L.A. Times). Toured the hagiographic exhibit of important Atlantans and relatives of the Gate's donors (rather dull stuff - visit the ATL History Center for the real thing). After serious thought and discussions I think we should just receive it as the folly it is and enjoy showing visitors the latest in Atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 4:06 PM

i like the monument, its better than the nothing that was there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta