HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

520 West 41 Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 5:18 AM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

I definitely think it's a massing shown in that document. The design will change.

Oh I definitely agree, the early massing of the Nordstrom is different to the latest design and thank god because that early massing was a disgrace. God awful!!!! Lol.

Thanks JR, for that document. I was wondering where we are with this and I see that 520 West 41st Street still has a ways to go in their application process to change the current zoning to residential.

When they first made the application it was about a year ago. They were issued a positive declaration which forced them to go through a stage called the environmental impact statement (EIS) for which they are now seeking to get the notice of completion. It's been approx a year ago, so I expect to hear the completion soon. Hopefully.

Once they get that completion, I believe that's when Silverstein can start the tedious ULURP process which we basically just witnessed with One Vanderbilt this past year, which can take a good 6-8 months. This entails getting approvals respectively from Gale Brewer, City Planning and finally the City Council, which ultimately means receiving the final stamp of approval from Bill DeBlas. I am sure within the ULURP process, we will see something a lot closer to what we will ultimately get design wise.

Anyways, let the Demo's begin!! Definitely good to hear.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; Jun 7, 2015 at 6:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 10:54 AM
BANNED

You're the man, VG.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 2:38 AM
BANNED

I look forward to the day in the near future when Larry's 1,100 foot tall résidential will looms over Hudson Blvd.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 5:05 AM
Registered Tadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
It would be cool if the subway was extended. Ah well. I would think it would be nice to live at a Manhattan residential tower with an attached subway stop. It sounds from this document like they wouldn't be building residential if the subway were planned to be extended to this city block.

"The assumed office development on this site that was studied in the HY FGEIS was predicated on a Tenth Avenue/West 41st Street station for the No. 7 subway line extension, which would have placed an entrance either directly on the project site or just across the street. Convenient access to the subway is a key component of attracting office tenants and developers of office buildings. However in 2007, after the enactment of the Hudson Yards rezoning, the plan to construct the Tenth Avenue/West 41st Street subway station was placed on‐hold by the MTA due to a lack of funding. While some efforts have been made since then to secure the necessary funding for the subway station, these efforts have not succeeded. At this time there is no projected source for the roughly $1 billion needed to complete the station. The possibility that the Tenth Avenue/West 41st Street station would be built in the near future appears to be unlikely.

The applicant also believes the development site is less attractive for office development due to the presence of easements for both the No. 7 subway extension and Amtrak directly beneath the project site (refer to Figure 4). The easements cross in the center of the site, making it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to locate a commercial building core for a large floor‐plate office building on the site, as commercial buildings require substantially more vertical circulation than residential buildings due to their higher population densities. Additionally, the two easements preclude the development of large amounts of below‐grade space, which typically provide the mechanical and back‐of‐house services critical to support large office buildings."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 3:24 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadd View Post
At this time there is no projected source for the roughly $1 billion needed to complete the station.
It's a shame Silverstein can't build the stop in exchange for $1 billion worth of airrights. That would be anywhere from 2.5msf to 5msf.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 3:36 AM

Hopefully Silverstein will hire Norman Foster to design the final product since after the whole 2 WTC shakeup, Silverstein did say that he wants to work with Foster on another project according to a recent interview.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 4:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadd View Post
It sounds from this document like they wouldn't be building residential if the subway were planned to be extended to this city block.

We went over all of this already. Silverstein's main argument for building more residential space, and the form the tower takes is both because there is no subway stop, and because of the existing easment...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 5:58 PM

The floors will be 106 : to change the title !!!!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 8:48 PM

Great news! I have a hard time believing that the height will stay the same even with 106 floors now. Do you guys think it will be increased?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 8:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Given that this tower will be one of the most numerous in terms of units in the city, I think it would be a good investment to take advantage of the housing shortage. Maybe. I'd like to see this around 1200 feet. That area is already a hot zone for residential, and people will move in if they build it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:09 PM

Is there a height limit where this will be built?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I don't believe so. They could go higher, especially if they included a commercial portion of it. But that is in question. This looks like its purely residential, but... a hotel, and some commercial added could push this higher if they wanted.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
Great news! I have a hard time believing that the height will stay the same even with 106 floors now. Do you guys think it will be increased?
Aren't they apartments rather than condos? I would guess the height remains the same since apartment heights tend to be in the range of 10 feet, or less than the condos.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 12:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Aren't they apartments rather than condos? I would guess the height remains the same since apartment heights tend to be in the range of 10 feet, or less than the condos.
Mostly a rental, they haven't said anything about condos. But it could be something along the lines of Gehry's Beekman St tower, another rental. I never expected the height to be exactly 1,100 ft anyway.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 4:25 AM

Black netting is going up, heavy machinery is on site, demolition will be starting soon.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 8:03 AM
BANNED

Nice!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 8:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Whole area is about to get much busier with a 1000+ units. This tower will have more people in it than most small towns.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 1:11 PM

Demolition has begun!

(Source)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 8:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm looking forward to this tower a lot. In this supertall boom, this one is just great with so many units. While the design will most likely change, even if it was to look like the mass diagram, somehow the sheer scale of it makes it appealing.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 11:34 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Whole area is about to get much busier with a 1000+ units. This tower will have more people in it than most small towns.
You know it!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals