HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:07 PM

I found this article on Vice; I know it is talking about NYC, and not Chicago, but I feel like it is pertinent to our discussion on transit and density.

Essentially, this guy made a spreadsheet that shows the positive effects of a Congestion Charge, that is levied on vehicles that enter the CBD:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...an-who-made-it

It would be great if he could make a similar spreadsheet for Chicago, and help to push for a Congestion Charge for private, non-delivery, non-UBER type vehicles that enter or CBD. If are policy can be created for that, it will help to not only reduce congestion, but also push for more mass transit options (EL, BRT, and Bike infrastructure) to be built.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:27 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Chicago View Post
I found this article on Vice; I know it is talking about NYC, and not Chicago, but I feel like it is pertinent to our discussion on transit and density.

Essentially, this guy made a spreadsheet that shows the positive effects of a Congestion Charge, that is levied on vehicles that enter the CBD:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...an-who-made-it

It would be great if he could make a similar spreadsheet for Chicago, and help to push for a Congestion Charge for private, non-delivery, non-UBER type vehicles that enter or CBD. If are policy can be created for that, it will help to not only reduce congestion, but also push for more mass transit options (EL, BRT, and Bike infrastructure) to be built.
I HATE the idea of yet another tax or another fee. We are already getting shaken down too much. At the same time, this would most likely help reduce congestion. When a business is getting swamped with customers, they increase the costs of their goods and services which reduce the amount of customers and increase profit. The idea this guy came up with is nothing new, but it would probably do what it is intended.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I HATE the idea of yet another tax or another fee. We are already getting shaken down too much. At the same time, this would most likely help reduce congestion. When a business is getting swamped with customers, they increase the costs of their goods and services which reduce the amount of customers and increase profit. The idea this guy came up with is nothing new, but it would probably do what it is intended.
Agreed; I am against high-taxation and/or over-taxation, but I definitely do like ideas that can help modify people's behaviors, and get them to use more mass transit, etc.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:59 PM
Exhale solutions.

I have no doubts a congestion charge is needed in Manhattan - an island with a limited amount of controlled entry points - perennially suffering from truly awful amounts of traffic. But Chicago? I don't really buy it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:16 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I have no doubts a congestion charge is needed in Manhattan - an island with a limited amount of controlled entry points - perennially suffering from truly awful amounts of traffic. But Chicago? I don't really buy it.
Traffic can definitely get pretty chaotic here, but I am in agreement. I don't think its necessary quite yet. One can still navigate downtown during rush hour. It certainty isn't an easy or smooth process, but its doable nonetheless. Now, if Amazon decides to move here, that's a different story entirely.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Traffic can definitely get pretty chaotic here, but I am in agreement. I don't think its necessary quite yet. One can still navigate downtown during rush hour. It certainty isn't an easy or smooth process, but its doable nonetheless. Now, if Amazon decides to move here, that's a different story entirely.
That's assuming Amazon ends up downtown

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:14 PM

811 Fulton Market

Nov 22

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The reasoning is that congestion charges would be beneficial virtually everywhere with congestion since drivers don’t internalize their impact on others. When deciding whether or not to drive at rush hour, a driver doesn’t consider the possibility that their presence on the road adds X amount of time to hundreds of others’ commutes. That means that there are almost certainly a number of drivers who choose to drive at a time when the benefit to them is outweighed by the costs to everyone else; the right congestion charge would dissuade them from making that choice.

So the question is 1) are the benefits of a congestion charge worth the cost of instituting it (the answer is almost certainly yes, since most of the costs are fixed and up front); and 2) what is the right charge?

Old Posted Today, 1:27 AM
Exhale solutions.

In your equation you've put forward you are leaving out a significant factor which is opposition, especially the power of official political opposition which there would undoubtedly be plenty of.

Old Posted Today, 1:29 AM

Illume Condos - 111 S Peoria

Nov 24

Old Posted Today, 1:42 AM

171 N Aberdeen

Nov 22

Old Posted Today, 3:22 AM

Centrum Evanston - and s/e corner facade fronting Davis Street with existing pre-war buildings

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development