HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:47 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post
OMG...to many to share. but wont get into here...worked up there in the 1990's and my in laws are from the Saskawhiner area
Well then share just one.

All I hear in this thread is (some) Reginaites whining about non-existent Saskatoon whining.

Irony.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
So your are comparing the Provincial University with a Stadium for Regina? What are you even thinking about. The 20,000+ students don't all come from Saskatoon. In fact many come from Regina....

Everyone can come visit the university and the wonderful facilities and actually use a lot of the facilities. How many people will ever set foot on the field at this new stadium or get to use it? Honestly next to no one....
I hate to even contribute to the discussion going on here, but to suggest that the facilities (other than walking on the grounds) at the U of S (or any university for that matter) are more accessible to the public than a new stadium would be is laughable. Where is the sign-up sheet to use the synchrotron? Can I just pop in and use the new residences next time I'm in Saskatoon? I'll even pay a small fee to do so.

If a new stadium is built, anyone can buy a ticket to a game and use the facility (for much less than the tuition required to get you access to a few of the facilities at the U of S). To answer your question (and you can't just include using the 'field' as that is such a small part of the stadium project), very conservatively, 30,000 people/rider game x 10 games, plus 4-5 Thunder games per year, plus highschool football, plus soccer etc. etc. puts the answer to your question well over 300,000 people per year to use the facility. Next to no one??

Now I'm a big proponent of post-secondary education and am not saying a stadium should be a priority over funding the provincial universities (not that its a one or the other situation anyway), nor do I care about keeping score between the two cities. But saying a lot of facilities at any university are more accessible to the public, or used by more people than a stadium would be makes about as much sense and suggesting the stadium will pay for itself with all the extra big name concerts it would bring in.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
Well then share just one.

All I hear in this thread is (some) Reginaites whining about non-existent Saskatoon whining.

Irony.
I'll bite... then I'm done with contributing to the the derailing of this thread.

Prominent Saskatoonian (if former chair of the CUC board counts a prominent?) essentially saying if Regina gets money provincial money for a football stadium, Saskatoon should get the same amount for a stadium (despite not having a team).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...dium-1205.html

Sound an awful lot like the rationale of my 18 month old daughter and niece fighting over a toy, and something I would definitely call whining.

I will also fully acknowledge this is one person, as CCF said the mayor was supportive of provincial funding. I'm just trying to oblige your request for one story

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 5:01 PM
Has been

Very well. But to associate whining as some sort of civic trait, as some poster were unquestionably trying to infer, is hardly an appropriate conclusion. Very little love for CUC, and by extension it's board, in these parts.

Now, getting back on track, I look forward to some renderings of the new digs.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:59 PM

.. People really need to stop crying in here. The QC vs. Toon stuff is crapping up the thread.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
.. People really need to stop crying in here. The QC vs. Toon stuff is crapping up the thread.
Kinda like a train wreck. You know you shouldn't watch, but you get sucked into watching anyways.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Meh I had a slow day at work so gave me some entertainment . It started to slow Down so I thought I should throw some more fuel on the fire but I thought enough was enough and watched YouTube instead . Lol lol

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 11:56 PM

Yeah i would love to see new renders of the stadium. Could they use the current desgin just with no roof?? I would think they would build an open-air stadium with the ability to attach a roof down the road (maybe when regina is 350,000 +), just cant wait!!!!

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Yeah i would love to see new renders of the stadium. Could they use the current desgin just with no roof?? I would think they would build an open-air stadium with the ability to attach a roof down the road (maybe when regina is 350,000 +), just cant wait!!!!
I hope not. I was really not a fan of the old renders which were bush league and cheap. I expect a more quality design since now a roof is not in the equation.

I would hope for something like this (cut off that adjacent arena structure keep the shape with the roof design):

^ This Stadium is in Korea (Hwaseong Sports Complex) and has a capacity of 33K if you stacked more seats on the sides or just made a U-shape then with the roof design you could still expand seating for Grey Cups and other big games.

Cost: $176 Million. Mind you this is Korea and construction costs are dirt cheap. If you double this figure though it would seem realistic for Canada.

More Pics:

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 4:55 AM
Hmm....

Looks nice... but I don't think we'd enclose an endzone like that. Probably leave both open, so the seats when added aren't as far away as they'd have to be if you were only adding seats to one end to bring it up to 50k+.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Looks nice... but I don't think we'd enclose an endzone like that. Probably leave both open, so the seats when added aren't as far away as they'd have to be if you were only adding seats to one end to bring it up to 50k+.
I hear you which is why I tried to tweak it. If you look closer at the first pic you see stands sloping down. That space with a modified open end can easily add in a block for 15K seats.

Dallas some how adds 30K quite easily in there dome in what appears to be more limited space. It seems most end ones can take 15-20k seats quite easily.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 6:53 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
I hear you which is why I tried to tweak it. If you look closer at the first pic you see stands sloping down. That space with a modified open end can easily add in a block for 15K seats.

Dallas some how adds 30K quite easily in there dome in what appears to be more limited space. It seems most end ones can take 15-20k seats quite easily.
Taylor field which holds 25k or so between the goal lines, had 2 end zones fully built out, and it only brought the total up to 55k for the '95 Grey Cup. Take away one endzone and you're down to peobably 40k, which is not big enough for a Grey Cup here. So yes, 15k quite easily... But 15k is not enough expansion capacity. A slick design would be very cool, but two free endzones are definitely required IMO. If they dig down for a below ground lower bowl it could make things a little easier though because I think there will be some sort of permanent endzone seating. I definitely hope they do something slick like that stadium you posted though.

They may want to keep something like that built out portion though.. Or at least some sort of pedestrian overpass above elphinstone, there would be a lot of parking on that side, so it would make exiting easier as pedestrians wouldn't be fighting with vehicles to leave.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:

Many of those are just standing room on the one end where you can mostly see the jumbotron and nothing else. Really cheap open area so that fans can 'feel' like they're at the game but they aren't actual seats or anything.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:52 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Many of those are just standing room on the one end where you can mostly see the jumbotron and nothing else. Really cheap open area so that fans can 'feel' like they're at the game but they aren't actual seats or anything.
Well... To be fair Dallas and all of Texas loves they're football... The American football, not the original football which I'm willing to bet a large amount of people in that state thinks it's some sort of European communist plot to take over America.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 4:40 AM

Today a concert tour was announced that is a great example of what I've been saying all this time.

The theory: 95% of the bands on tour will not stop at a stadium because of the setup. Open air or dome, doesnt matter. When a band goes on the road they bring a stage/setup designed to work with arena structures, and not something thats free standing.

Great example today: Justin Bieber (I know laugh it up, but hey, he does draw big crowds with the younger crowd). Concert stops in Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto in Canada. Guess what....only one date in a stadium, and thats Toronto. Toronto also has 5+ million people!

So lets think about this 'idea' that a new stadium would bring a bunch of concerts. Justin Bieber would be a A- act in todays concerts. (I'll see if I can find his concert revenue). If he doesnt do a stadium show, then what the %#*@ are people thinking? Sure you will attract the U2's, Rolling Stones, AC/DCs of the world, but really, there are only a few acts that could be considered A+.

Note: I cant wait to get beat up about this.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoen View Post
Today a concert tour was announced that is a great example of what I've been saying all this time.

The theory: 95% of the bands on tour will not stop at a stadium because of the setup. Open air or dome, doesnt matter. When a band goes on the road they bring a stage/setup designed to work with arena structures, and not something thats free standing.

Great example today: Justin Bieber (I know laugh it up, but hey, he does draw big crowds with the younger crowd). Concert stops in Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto in Canada. Guess what....only one date in a stadium, and thats Toronto. Toronto also has 5+ million people!

So lets think about this 'idea' that a new stadium would bring a bunch of concerts. Justin Bieber would be a A- act in todays concerts. (I'll see if I can find his concert revenue). If he doesnt do a stadium show, then what the %#*@ are people thinking? Sure you will attract the U2's, Rolling Stones, AC/DCs of the world, but really, there are only a few acts that could be considered A+.

Let me begin the beating. Better Saskatoon gets this guy than Regina. My pre-teen daughters can't even stand Justin Bieber! I'll take the U2's, AC/DC's any day. If these are the kind of concerts Regina will miss out on then the sooner we build a new stadium the better.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 5:20 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoen View Post

Good lord. You resurrected this thread for what? Do you have anything new to contribute that hasn't been covered in the last 72 pages (or 700+ pages on the riderfans.com forum)? Why beat a dead horse?

We know that the government's contribution is going to be capped at whatever the province contributes for the open-air proposal currently in front of them and what the city has committed to contributing. They won't be increasing it from there (they've been pretty clear about what level they are willing to fund). If the private sector wants to come in and commit and make a multi-purpose facility happen (and that's what it would take to push that idea any further), I'm not going to turn my nose up at that.

So unless there are actual new news and developments on this project released, can we not just let this thread rest for a while?

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 1:53 PM

For Bieber fans a 3hr drive is nothing. Many will travel much farther to see him. That post is trolling, Beiber would not help pay the 20+ million per year in costs to run the old proposal.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 4:49 AM

Quote:
For Bieber fans a 3hr drive is nothing. Many will travel much farther to see him. That post is trolling, Beiber would not help pay the 20+ million per year in costs to run the old proposal.
So you're saying Bieber fans would flock to Regina from all over North Dakota, Montana, Southern Alberta, and all over the province if he did a stadium concert here? And that is proof a dome ISN'T a good idea??

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
So you're saying Bieber fans would flock to Regina from all over North Dakota, Montana, Southern Alberta, and all over the province if he did a stadium concert here? And that is proof a dome ISN'T a good idea??
No. Because its a matter of markets and facilities. Why would somebody in South Alberta drive here when Calgary is closer? ND and Montana are tiny markets, if they are big enough fans they will travel to Denver or Calgary or Timbuktu for that matter.

Bieber only has one Stadium show which is Toronto. The rest are all Arenas. He and his team would of chose Saskatoon regardless simply for the fact that facility fits their production. The Toronto show will have totally different production and requirements then the 98% of his other shows.

How do I know this? look at his scheduling and you notice such a large gap between his NYC-Toronto-Salt Lake shows. Obviously he will have to commit to doing press in New York and Toronto but he does not even give that type of space to Los Angeles which is equally an important media and entertainment center. A stadium show will require more work and prep, they are not the same as arena shows. If an artist is deciding between two equal sized markets only 3 hours apart they will go for the facility which caters more towards what they need to do.

If we had an arena like Saskatoon of Winnipeg he would stop here. If we had that original dome proposal that is not guaranteed.

This is why building Stadiums for this stuff makes no sense. There is no guarantee of shows. Arenas get booked 70%-90% of the year... Stadiums don't. This is why we are building a football stadium for football. Maybe an arena can come down the road in due time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan