HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Wow, 10,000 signatures. Then I guess everyone should send everyone they know the link of the petition site, and get signing. But really was it necessary replacing the spire with an antenna.
signed!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Just wondering if someone knows what the vertical grooves are near the top of 1WTC are? They seem to be between about the 92-99 floors.. I was just wondering if they were design features, or if they simply denote the mechanical floors providing some kind of ventilation?

Those dark bands on One World Trade Center represents mechanical floors as they are vents. Similar marks were see on the Twin Towers which were the same thing.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 4:42 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ We already know, but thanks pointing it out on the new page. I like how 1WTC is sticking to old roots (somewhat). That one of the positive things about 1WTC.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Well it's "official" One World Trade won't top out in April, what a surprise.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...date/#comments

One World Trade Center To Miss Top Off Date

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - Though the weather was unseasonably warm this January it was also unusually windy. Because of that, the Port Authority had to halt the erection of steel on One World Trade Center for a considerable number of days for safety reasons.

It’s now clear that they won’t make their original April target date to top off the iron work.

But Port Authority executive director Patrick Foye said Thursday that “significant progress is being made. I spoke to the team today. We expect this spring, especially with the unseasonably warm weather, to be a very active time and we think there will be a topping off. I’m not gonna give you a date.”

The steel is now at the 93rd floor and will top out at 104. The building will be completed in late 2013 or early 2014 and will be 1,776-feet-tall. That will make it the tallest building in the country.

Oh my! What a SHOCKER!

Oh please. Give me a break. Everyone knew it wouldn't be topping out in April because they are SLACKING on their job. They blame the wind on not putting up any steel? Hmmm. Let's see. You're almost 1,200+ feet up in the air in a city called "New York".. Did you really think that wind wouldn't be an issue that high?

BTW, why are all the news reports claiming this building to be "104 floors?" SkyscraperPage has it listed as 108?

I'm sorry guys, but all these excuses and changes are really makes me furious. I WANT THIS THING BUILT!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:08 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Topping out a month (and a half) later is nothing to get mad about. Atleast it's getting built in the calender year.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:22 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringSkylines View Post
Because most likely the plan will be accepted because you better believe; when you talk about anything being "financially better", the Port Authority is ALL over that.
I don't know why people are under the impression that the plan isn't final. The Port Authority has already released a press statement. Durst doesn't half ass around, its about business. They have been successful with the antenna at the Conde Nast (4 Times Square) and the new antenna here will serve as primary with the older one at 4TS serving as a backup. It's a new business plan they have for broadcasting. The only thing that isn't final is how many broadcasters will make the move back. My guess is that most, if not all will.

As far as what it will look like, you only have to ask yourself a few questions. Will the revision be an improvement over the previous design? If they are so confident it will look "great" (as opposed to acceptible), why haven't they released renderings (it's a matter of months before the thing gets underway).

If this were an ordinary enterprise, I would agree with whatever spire was put up there, and whenever or however they felt like doing it. But this is a very public undertaking, we have been in the process even before there was a process to be in. It's not ok to have these changes done behind closed doors, I don't care how you look at it. This building, which is very heavy on symbolism, will be defined by that spire. It's not an afterthought.

Quote:
BTW, why are all the news reports claiming this building to be "104 floors?" SkyscraperPage has it listed as 108?
Those extra "floors" are just the levels of the broadcasting ring, not actual office floors. They are counted by some measures, some measures not. But they have floor designations.

Gaeton

dannyr2713

Leah / euroswiss2003

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:29 AM
BANNED

@NYguy

I COMPLETELY agree with you. Everyone is saying to "stop raising hell over it" because it hasn't been said that they are going to do it.... yet.

People fail to understand that this is the DURST ORGANIZATION! These guys are like peas in a pot with the Port Authority.

I hate busting bubbles, but MOST of the time anything they say GOES.

It's time we step into reality here and RAISE OUR VOICES and let it be heard that we do NOT approve of this BEFORE they write it in stone.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:36 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:54 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 6:06 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 6:12 AM

Nah,it's just that One World Trade Center wants us to stay in this forum a little longer,that's why it delays itself over and over.I'm sure gonna miss everybody in this forum once completed in 2014,as people are most likely going to move on to other forums or just move on for good.I'm glad that when I arrive at this forum I know I'm getting information that only inside workers would know of or the beautiful pictures and renders Carlos,Otie,and STR and countless others provide.

Sorry for being a little off-topic but I just had to give a little appreciation amongst the chaos and crisis we are currently going through in the forum.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Wow, 10,000 signatures. Then I guess everyone should send everyone they know the link of the petition site, and get signing.
Haha, yep

I really hope this thing takes off exponentially - two people tell two people, you get 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096... Very quickly you end up with a huge number. I hope it goes that way.

Once again guys, if you're on Facebook, I urge you to invite everyone on your friends list. If you frequent other forums that permit posting such things, post the links to the Facebook page and the petition there! To those of you in urban areas (New York especially), distribute flyers if you can! The more people who know about this thing, the more chance it has of taking off. I absolutely don't expect it to go viral (how cool would that be?), but if we can get four-digit figures I'm willing to call that a success. Spread the word!

Here's the link!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Oh my! What a SHOCKER!

Oh please. Give me a break. Everyone knew it wouldn't be topping out in April because they are SLACKING on their job. They blame the wind on not putting up any steel? Hmmm. Let's see. You're almost 1,200+ feet up in the air in a city called "New York".. Did you really think that wind wouldn't be an issue that high?

I'm sorry guys, but all these excuses and changes are really makes me furious. I WANT THIS THING BUILT!
Point by Point:

A. You're supremely confident that they're slacking off for any conceivable reason other than wind issues because..........?

B. On the one hand, I suppose blaming uncooperative gusts for slowing down progress in construction *would* be kinda like flipping off the moon coz your monthly crops suck. But come on, now.

Essentially what you're saying as per my interpretation is this:

"What's to stop a pesky little detail like potentially hazardous gale-force conditions at 1000'+ above the street from getting this thing done by the officially announced top-off date? So what if a few construction workers get swept off their feet onto the asphalt below headfirst? Or a precariously swaying, multi-thousand pound girder snaps off the rope and squashes some unfortunate, unsuspecting street life below? Messy? Hell yeah; but in the grand scheme it's a small price to pay for showing the world that the skivvy-bombing terrorists in Wakkowarneristan and the red-tape merchants at the Port Authority haven't got *us* beat, no siree."

My admittedly over-analytic mind---once at rest---has me thinking that you don't mean all that. But your somewhat odd rationale to get this project finished yesterday had me reading your wind-related comments in that manner.

Oh, BTW: No one looking at 1WTC's completed form is going to give a plague-rat's pockmarked backside how many stories she's rising. That's absolutely going to be the farthest thing from the casual tourist's mind...and that of the average Downtown pedestrian/resident.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 9:23 AM
DENNAB

Do people actually think that sending emails and 80 signatures on a petition is going to change Dusrts's mind?

They will completely ignore your demands I'm sorry to say.

I can't however, see why they don't just make the spire look the same with cheaper material, which may happen.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 10:37 AM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KN. View Post
These more recent photos you have been taking Carlos appear to heaps more sharper.

Are you using a new lens?
no new lenses for now, i used my 300mm lens..the brighter the day, the more detail i get..thanks

DSC_0093 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 11:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 1:10 PM
BANNED

When the wind is blowing 20-30 mph on the ground, the wind is blowing 40-50 mph above 30 floors. This isn't shocking news to me, it was too predictable that it wasn't going to top out. It looks more like mid May to me

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Point by Point:

A. You're supremely confident that they're slacking off for any conceivable reason other than wind issues because..........?

B. On the one hand, I suppose blaming uncooperative gusts for slowing down progress in construction *would* be kinda like flipping off the moon coz your monthly crops suck. But come on, now.

Essentially what you're saying as per my interpretation is this:

"What's to stop a pesky little detail like potentially hazardous gale-force conditions at 1000'+ above the street from getting this thing done by the officially announced top-off date? So what if a few construction workers get swept off their feet onto the asphalt below headfirst? Or a precariously swaying, multi-thousand pound girder snaps off the rope and squashes some unfortunate, unsuspecting street life below? Messy? Hell yeah; but in the grand scheme it's a small price to pay for showing the world that the skivvy-bombing terrorists in Wakkowarneristan and the red-tape merchants at the Port Authority haven't got *us* beat, no siree."

My admittedly over-analytic mind---once at rest---has me thinking that you don't mean all that. But your somewhat odd rationale to get this project finished yesterday had me reading your wind-related comments in that manner.

Oh, BTW: No one looking at 1WTC's completed form is going to give a plague-rat's pockmarked backside how many stories she's rising. That's absolutely going to be the farthest thing from the casual tourist's mind...and that of the average Downtown pedestrian/resident.
That was hilarious. Do you own The Oatmeal comic strip website? You sort of remind me of him with that joke. Best to make a comic strip with One World Trade Center.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Oh my! What a SHOCKER!

Do you know what you're saying? Slacking on the job? What are you talking about? Yea so they didn't put up steel for 56 days a couple months ago but look at them now, they've worked holiday weekends and in rainy/foggy weather. No shiz everyone wants this tower up. Patience is a huge word when it comes to this project. Like I said, winds are so much stronger over 30 floors than the surface winds. Think before you speak.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive