HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Even Ontario's slogan "Yours to discover" leaves the person reading it to fill in the blanks and figure out what Ontario's about, rather than giving an Ontario identity upfront.
... in keeping...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
... in keeping...
Remember the old slogan? "Keep it Beautiful". I hated that slogan. too hectoring.

the worst slogan is on New Hampshire's license plates: "Live Free or Die" How could such a lovely place could have a stark motto? yes, I know the history, but it should be consigned to the rubbish bin.

by contrast, I liked Quebec's two slogans: La Belle Province (named after the eponymous restaurant, of course) and Je Me Souviens.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:46 PM

As boring as Ontario's licence plates are, I do love the Yours to Discover slogan.

I was in NH when I was 10 years old. And even as a child I thought that to be a ridiculous statement for a licence plate.

And I remember seeing signs saying "Buckle up under 18". Not just "buckle up". Sure enough...

Quote:
New Hampshire is the only U.S. state that does not by law require adult drivers to wear safety belts while operating a motor vehicle.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
As boring as Ontario's licence plates are, I do love the Yours to Discover slogan.

I was in NH when I was 10 years old. And even as a child I thought that to be a ridiculous statement for a licence plate.

And I remember seeing signs saying "Buckle up under 18". Not just "buckle up". Sure enough...
Drive free (of seatbelts) and die.

Ah how stupid is that. Like the continued use of the imperial system. MAGA!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Remember the old slogan? "Keep it Beautiful". I hated that slogan. too hectoring.

the worst slogan is on New Hampshire's license plates: "Live Free or Die" How could such a lovely place could have a stark motto? yes, I know the history, but it should be consigned to the rubbish bin.

by contrast, I liked Quebec's two slogans: La Belle Province (named after the eponymous restaurant, of course) and Je Me Souviens.
What's interesting about "Je me souviens" is that it's widely perceived outside of the province as a bit of a defiant snub or pied-de-nez. As in: we'll never forget that you guys screwed us over".

When in actual fact it's a very mature statement if you're aware of what it says in full: je me souviens que né sous le lys j'ai fleuri sous la rose.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I smell a new thread!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

BC's previous one, "The Best Place on Earth", which was introduced for, and seen a lot during the time of the Olympics, was also seen as kind of arrogant by some.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
BC's previous one, "The Best Place on Earth", which was introduced for, and seen a lot during the time of the Olympics, was also seen as kind of arrogant by some.
yeah, it was extremely arrogant. Same thing with Snapple (made from the best stuff on earth...yeah, whatever).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 1:13 PM

Well that took a turn.

Last week I noticed that the house with the two flags had the Ontario flag and pole lying down on the ground. Looked this morning and it's completely gone. Maple Leaf still flying though.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
That is amazing

Of course I have to acknowledge our 'worst city flag in Canada' entry

Looks like the Arby's logo. haha

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Looks like the Arby's logo. haha
This flag...

Thats a good description lol.

Our welcome to Calgary signs are not much better, generic trash. But that is what you get with designed by committee and no one can agree on anything.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:39 PM

Finally saw an ON flag yesterday on a house. This one in Burlington.

Since I started this thread, I saw a short-lived one in Oakville that lasted a few days, one on the way to the cottage in Tiny Township, and finally this one.

In all cases, a Maple Leaf was flying along with it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.36430...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:37 PM

Sometimes the flag is permanently displayed. 1950s buildings usually. Here's an example. Typically it's carved granite.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3889...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Sometimes the flag is permanently displayed. 1950s buildings usually. Here's an example. Typically it's carved granite.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3889...7i13312!8i6656
That's interesting.

Funny skinny window in the middle too!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:24 PM

What's "interesting" from a modern point of view is that that quite common style of early 1950s building - always buildings of brick with granite lintels and windowsills - generally display in their architectural details variable mixes of all the national symbols of Québec: the beaver, the maple leaf, and the Quebec flag.

My 1948 brick triplex has maple leaves in its granite lintels (really super typical of that type of building). It was built in a Sherbrooke neighborhood that was totally francophone/Canadien at the time (still is, though that's not relevant). Meanwhile, in Anglo neighborhoods, you didn't see those patriotic symbols in architectural details at all - styling-wise, they were more conservative and discreet. Now it's somewhat amusing to think that the Québécois had the maple leaf as their national symbol while Anglos at the time wouldn't have anything to do with it...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
What's "interesting" from a modern point of view is that that quite common style of early 1950s building - always buildings of brick with granite lintels and windowsills - generally display in their architectural details variable mixes of all the national symbols of Québec: the beaver, the maple leaf, and the Quebec flag.

My 1948 brick triplex has maple leaves in its granite lintels (really super typical of that type of building). It was built in a Sherbrooke neighborhood that was totally francophone/Canadien at the time (still is, though that's not relevant). Meanwhile, in Anglo neighborhoods, you didn't see those patriotic symbols in architectural details at all - styling-wise, they were more conservative and discreet. Now it's somewhat amusing to think that the Québécois had the maple leaf as their national symbol while Anglos at the time wouldn't have anything to do with it...
Gilles Duceppe recalls that as a student at the Université de Montréal in the 1960s, he'd attend hockey games where his school had a fierce rivalry with McGill. In order to taunt each other, the UdeM students would sing O Canada and the McGill students would sing God Save the Queen. Both sides would try to drown the other out.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 8:39 PM

The rare Ontario flag flown on a house and not just a government building or a business.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2599...7i16384!8i8192

Also, it ain't St. John's, but I appreciate the variation in colour on this street.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 9:21 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
The rare Ontario flag flown on a house and not just a government building or a business.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2599...7i16384!8i8192

Also, it ain't St. John's, but I appreciate the variation in colour on this street.
I wouldn't have recognized what it was if walking by. But looking at that photo, I probably would have deduced what it was and then confirmed it by Googling.

Ontario is Canada. Bob and Doug are our saints. Geddy Lee is our pied piper. Don Cherry is our drunk uncle. Rob Ford was our drunk cousin.

Saskatchewan wouldn't disagree.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada