HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post

I found the Wikipedia page on the Mocambo and and noticed this:

Quote:
The Mocambo was also parodied mercilessly in the 1947 Bugs Bunny cartoon, "Slick Hare". According to a commentary track on the DVD with this cartoon, the animators managed to get into the kitchen and drew the kitchen exactly as they saw it, complete with dripping grease on the refrigerator and vegetables lying around the ground.
They weren't even subtle about their target .

Warner Bros

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 2:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just found this great photograph of Selma Avenue looking northeast toward Hollywood & Vine a few minutes ago on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-1930S-8-X-...item2ed9c6f747

the traffic pattern is interesting...
-that's an aggressive driver trying to exit the service station. -midway down the block a car is entering a building on one side, while across the street a car is coming out of a building.
One car is trying to park (I think)....or he's cheating by passing on the right.

__
Here is an aerial from 1947 of the view for ER's photo of Selma St.

historic aerials

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
The Mocambo was also parodied mercilessly in the 1947 Bugs Bunny cartoon, "Slick Hare".
Because Bogart is featured in it and it's the same year of release, this animated short is an extra on the dvd of one of my favorite film noirs, Dark Passage. (The film is set in San Francisco.)

Interesting about the audio commentary! If they'd had "letter grades" back then...?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 7:16 PM

Ticket to the 1933 National Air Races on July 4th (my birthday!)

ebay

back

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Gentlemen (and ladies),

I've a bit of a mystery and I turn to you because you are the Best and Brightest of our generation!

So here's an RPPC that fell in my lap, scrawled on the back is "This picture is where we worked on South Hope St. in Los Angeles Cal."

I've cruised around some aerials and toodled down some Hope St shots in the usual collections to no avail. Anybody recognize this girl?
Wanted to follow up on this—many thanks to Lorendoc who made some incisive analysis in this reply!

It was noirisher Flyingwedge who PM'd to send this image—pointing out that my li'l building was, in fact, at 1133 S Hope. Zooming in to the left of the water tank atop Western Auto Supply, there she is!

1133 was known as the "Claron Del" apts. Built about 1913. Not in the 1910 Baist, but in the 1914 Baist, and here's an ad from September '13:

From what I can tell, she becomes a parking lot in 1980.

The most interesting thing I found in researching her history—in the early '30s there was a series of "stench bombings" at theaters that hired nonunion projectionists. There had been twenty-two such attacks by February '32 when police arrested seven people, one of whom was Bejamin Stahl, taken into custody at his home in the Claron Del and booked for arson.

Million thanks to all y'all!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 7:39 PM

Soooo, because we're batting a thousand already, here's another mystery photo (heck, maybe this'll become a regular feature, like on Larry Harnisch's Dairly Mirror!)...

I picked this up with another image, probably taken at the same time (clipped from the same album, same paper and photography, etc.) and that image was of the oft-photographed 221 S Olive on Bunker Hill, so one assumes the image below is near downtown.

A million thanks (in advance) to whomever can help with this one. And two nights' stay in the Ambassador!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 8:15 PM

The Sovereign Hotel & Apartments

ebay

"On the Shores of the Blue Pacific"
Two blocks north of Wilshire Boulevard.
Washington Ave. at 2nd Street
Santa Monica, California

and she's still there

google aerial

lookin' good!

GSV

below: On Bings maps there's scaffolding up. (please tell me they're not painting it pink)

bing_maps

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:03 PM

Mobilgas Station 1956, Anaheim

http://anaheimhistoricalsociety.blog...tion-1956.html

This Mobil station once graced the intersection of Harbor Blvd. and Katella Avenue in Anaheim, not far from the then new Disneyland.

"Commissioned by Mobil Gas to do a mock up for a new type of design for the Mobil Gas image, including the flying horse!
Mobil no doubt picked the team to design and build this station as a marketing scheme to impress the many visitor to Disneyland
and keep them buying Mobil products on the trip back home and where they live."

The Mobil station is visible in this 1956 aerial. (lower right corner)

__

below: Julius Shulman photograph.

I'm not sure when this proto-type station was demolished.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Ticket to the 1933 National Air Races on July 4th (my birthday!)
So that's where I know you from .

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 12:05 AM

lol. -well done HossC.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 22, 2014 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 12:44 AM

Beaudry, I have a 'mystery' house as well.

I came across this beautiful residence on ebay a couple nights ago. The street sign at lower right says this is Flower Street. (..and I really like that cupola)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...item3f40d540a5

Maybe we've seen it before, but I can't place it.

below: Here it is with the frame advertising a Los Angeles photography studio, 'Hardesty & Armstrong'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Los-Angeles-...item3f40d540a5

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 22, 2014 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 12:52 AM

Comet's Hot Dogs.

ebay

ebay

This is what's surprising....look at all the locations!!! -yet I don't remember ever seeing one in a vintage photograph.

ebay

__

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 2:31 AM

If this store is representative, it looks like Comet's were quite small, so maybe that's why we've missed them. This 1939 picture is titled "In Downtown Los Angeles facing north on Broadway from West Ninth Street", so I'm assuming that were looking at the 845 S Broadway branch of Comet's. Farley's Credit Clothes is listed at 837 S Broadway.

The first listing I can find in the City Directories is for Comet's California Orange Drink Co at 704 S Broadway in the 1926 edition. By the late 1930s, it appears that they had changed their name to the Comet Citrus Co. Their store at 625 S Broadway is listed until 1965.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Here's the full picture.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Soooo, because we're batting a thousand already, here's another mystery photo (heck, maybe this'll become a regular feature, like on Larry Harnisch's Dairly Mirror!)...

I picked this up with another image, probably taken at the same time (clipped from the same album, same paper and photography, etc.) and that image was of the oft-photographed 221 S Olive on Bunker Hill, so one assumes the image below is near downtown.

A million thanks (in advance) to whomever can help with this one. And two nights' stay in the Ambassador!
Good night ! I believe this IS 235 S. Olive- the D.K. Edwards home - It matches the footprint on the 1906 Sanborn map- and also the aerial image from the Spence photo I collected at UCLA--

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 6:18 AM
BANNED

Slightly noir?

This is from the movie ''Turning Point"...1952

....location:
427 W. Second Street....That's Tom Tully at the left.

Paramount

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
I was in Long Beach the past few days so got a couple shots of the mural. It was saved and reinstalled on the side of some sort of mall/parking garage, located on Third St. at one end of The Promendade (a pedestrian-only walkway).

The other end of The Promendade terminates at Ocean Ave. where the Breakers (aka Hilton aka Wilton) & the Skyroom are- featured in another recent post of yours:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=24637

The Breakers is a retirement home now.

Lots of closed up doors and windows (the Skyroom has its own entrance on the Locust Ave. side of the building)

While in the vicinity, back in Jan 2012 you had a post about the subway under the demolished Jergen's Trust Building once located at Ocean Ave. and Pine. The tunnel has been sealed up since 1967 or so: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=5952

There was supposedly a condo project in the works that would cover up the tunnel entrance again, but I found it looking exactly the same as it did in the 2012 picture. (The plywood is covering the tunnel entrance).

Across Pine, the Ocean House Building (1929) is still there. The north side of it is surface parking, and an outdoor cafe kind of place is currently installed in the space that once carried The Pike's Seaside Walkway under the building (the street in the foreground is now called Seaside Way).

Here's what it looked like about 1950, from the other side of the building looking south:
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics50/00074658.jpg

some later views of it from Rick Warren's fabulous Pike set on Flickr, here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/thepik.../45688665@N03/

Here's a view of Ocean Ave. near Pine showing, left to right The Breakers, the Jergen's Trust Building and the Ocean Ave. facade of the Ocean House:

from this site: https://sites.google.com/site/losang...epalaces/state

E-R's image from his Skyroom post the other day shows the Municipal Auditorium, where the mural started out; The Breakers (aka the Hilton at this time); the Jergen's Trust Building, and Ocean House:

The waves once lapped up against Ocean House at high tide and the west facade of The Breakers was only a few yards from the sand- they're at least 1/4 mile from the sea today, and nowhere near a sand beach.
In the 1990's I did a home health internship. We used to visit the Breakers (now retirement housing)all the time. One elderly lady took us into the old ballroom. It was so beautiful and spacious. Definitely from a bygone era

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 2:20 PM

Quote:

Mobilgas Station 1956, Anaheim

below: Julius Shulman photograph.

I'm not sure when this proto-type station was demolished.
The Anaheim Mobilgas station shows up on the 1963 image at Historic Aerials. Although it still appears to be a gas station in 1972, the design has completely changed. The most recent GSV image shows an empty lot with a "Walgreens Coming Soon" sign.

Historic Aerials

The aerial shot posted by e_r shows Disneyland in 1956. It hadn't changed much by 1963.

Historic Aerials

This shot is now 10 years old, but it shows how the park grew to cover the original parking lots and then some.

Historic Aerials

For comparison, here's how the area looked just three years before e_r's picture (and two years before the park opened). These are the orange groves and walnut trees that Mr Disney acquired to build his park.

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
If this store is representative, it looks like Comet's were quite small, so maybe that's why we've missed them. This 1939 picture is titled "In Downtown Los Angeles facing north on Broadway from West Ninth Street", so I'm assuming that were looking at the 845 S Broadway branch of Comet's. Farley's Credit Clothes is listed at 837 S Broadway.

USC Digital Library
Yep, they sure were tiny. -looks like it has open air counter on the side.

Here's the same view today. (replaced by a parking garage)

gsv

At first, I thought this little place was the old Comet's.....but this is across the street.

gsv

Here's how 'Two Boots Pizza' looked in 2009. -goodbye Pastrami Dip.

gsv

-note the old 'GIRLS dance' sign in the alley.
For that story go here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=15690

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 22, 2014 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:37 PM

Here's an apartment building which I don't think we've seen before. It's 4203 South Olive Street in 1926.

USC Digital Library

There's no name in the description, but the sign over the doorway says "The Carus Apartments". This view also gives a better look at the balcony and the detail around the windows.

Detail of picture above.

So many of the pretty details have been lost over time, and even the original wall is partially hidden by a fence . I could've been worse - if it have been a couple of blocks north it would've been taken out by an access ramp for the Harbor Freeway.

GSV

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:47 PM

Nice find HossC. -I've never heard of the Carus Apartments.

Grand Central Market in 1964. -Broadway entrance.

ebay

and today (as you can see....they've ripped off all that blue paneling)

GSV

To be honest, I didn't realize there was a Broadway entrance until I came across that 1964 slide. I thought the only entrance was on Hill Street (shown below).

GSV

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 22, 2014 at 8:36 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos