HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
ummm. I will rarely be that guy, but how much is this costing?

what a pathetic, weak, excuse for a Centennial project.
So true.

They should have been planning and saving for this for years to give the state something special...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 6:20 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
ummm. I will rarely be that guy, but how much is this costing?

what a pathetic, weak, excuse for a Centennial project.
The new trees are lame? I think shade is an extremely important issue for PHX, Ill take trees any way I can get them.

But to answer your question, its mostly being paid for by a Federal Grant. Which is why we aren't seeing shade tree between the Palms... the Streetscape, which as always just been Palms was deemed historic, so they couldn't add shade trees between them. If we are going to get shade trees (again, Id hope for Desert Museum Palo Verde) between the Palms it'll have to wait for a future project/funding source.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
The new trees are lame? I think shade is an extremely important issue for PHX, Ill take trees any way I can get them.
Trees are great, I'm all for them, but the point I'm making is they should be planting trees anyway, and doing something more, um, celebratory, for the centennial.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Trees are great, I'm all for them, but the point I'm making is they should be planting trees anyway, and doing something more, um, celebratory, for the centennial.
They are, there's lots of good things going on for the Centennial. The new Arizona Museum, the Centennial Penny drive to help refurbish the dome, etc. Sadly the Centennial happened to roll around in the midst of the worst economic situation our State has ever seen and thus we kind of got caught with our pants down.

I'm depressed that I'll still be in MA on Feb 14th, 2012, as dorky as it is, its something I've been looking forward to for a long time.

What I'd love to see happen is for AZ to start planning ahead now for the 125th Anniversary of Statehood, which will be in 2037. Maybe with that long of a planning time they could actually do something awesome for the "Quasquicentennial" and finally turn the Capitol Mall into well...a Mall.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:55 PM

If they had built any great public gift, they would have just sold it off later only to rent it back at an inflated rate.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 8:18 PM

Check out Nashville's BiCentennial Capitol Mall State Park:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/des...es/246/#slide6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicente...all_State_Park

http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/Bicentennial/

It looks awesome and thats exactly the sort of thing our Capitol Mall needs. Our Capitol Mall area is one of the worst in the country and there's no damned good reason for that. Most of the other State Capitols I've been to (Sacramento, Boston, Denver, Lincoln, Des Moines) are quite beautiful as are there surrounding neighborhoods. I'd love to see the City of Phoenix, the State, and private groups rally together for the 125th Anniversary and do something similar to what Tennessee has done.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 3:31 AM

Took a few pics of some landscaping

In Bolin Memorial Park. There are holes under the saw-horses where trees will presumably be planted:

New sisso's on Monroe Street:

New landscaping and streetwork down Washington St.:

North Side of Bolin Park on Adams St.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 4:07 PM
BANNED

Who is ever going to stroll along these streets?

Phoenix needs to move away from the crushed gravel look for many reasons, first off, it's overused and brutal. Secondly, it contributes to the heat island, it may as well be concrete.

I know Phx is in the desert, but crushed granite that requires herbicides is not a natural look for the desert environment.

Phoenix has historically been an oasis city. Central Phoenix should keep it's oasis status with tree and grass lined streets, especially along Wash/Jeff corridor.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post

Phoenix needs to move away from the crushed gravel look for many reasons, first off, it's overused and brutal. Secondly, it contributes to the heat island, it may as well be concrete.

I know Phx is in the desert, but crushed granite that requires herbicides is not a natural look for the desert environment.

Phoenix has historically been an oasis city. Central Phoenix should keep it's oasis status with tree and grass lined streets, especially along Wash/Jeff corridor.
100% agree, however, it's an inexpensive (cheap) finish and filler. Grass is way more expensive to install and maintain over the years.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Not to mention nothing inhibits walking more than crushed gravel.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 3:45 AM

Quote:
While I agree with you generally, I think lantana make for a good compromise. They're beautiful, green, use vastly less water than grass, don't have to be over seeded or mowed. They've been using a lot of lantana in planter strips in Downtown and I think it looks and works great (see especially the area near the Civic Space).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 10:38 PM
BANNED

^^^ I agree, it would be a nice compromise. Anything, but crushed granite would be an improvement. Mature Lantana is an excellent ground cover that can soften the hardest looking landscapes and in DT it would not die back from frost/freezes that plague the suburbs.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 6:53 PM

Sculptures for Indian Nations in Arizona

I just noticed this morning that there are new sculptures for the different Indian Nations in Arizona on Washington Street. The Capitol Mall is looking very nice. The last problem they need to fix is replace most of the buildings. Brutalist architecture... ugh.

And here is just a street pic looking west towards Wesley Bolin Park. The landscaping has improved but the buildings are still ugly.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 12:31 AM

Are all the monuments for the tribes identical? If so, that's lame. They should be unique and represent the tribes. All the gravel looks horrid, I sure hope they end up planting lantana like their original rendering showed.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Are all the monuments for the tribes identical? If so, that's lame. They should be unique and represent the tribes. All the gravel looks horrid, I sure hope they end up planting lantana like their original rendering showed.
agreed on all counts.

If all of the tribe monuments are the same, it will be really sad.

Also, it looks like they are doing a design on the street in one of those pictures.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:13 AM

Quote:
agreed on all counts.

If all of the tribe monuments are the same, it will be really sad.

Also, it looks like they are doing a design on the street in one of those pictures.
The monuments appear to all be in the same "style" but not identical. Yes they are doing designs in the cross walks. They were working on them today and I couldn't really see them.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 2:41 AM

More pictures

Sculptures with information about Arizona. They are still covered in plastic but look very nice. I just hope they don't get vandalized with all the vagabonds and hobos that frequent the area.

Sculptures with information about each county.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:06 AM
them bones

Wow...how iconic...

Nobody is ever going to go look at these. The state would have been much better served by spending their limited resources on a singular entity (building, sculpture or otherwise) at Wesley Bolin. At least then it would be easier to draw the public in to something new.

There are no pedestrians in that part of town.

What a waste.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:36 AM

Arizona centennial events reined in by funding woes

Quote:
Turning 100 is a big feat in anyone's book.

For the state's centennial celebration, Feb. 14 is the finish line on a long obstacle course filled with economic potholes. Early plans got watered down by the recession and difficulty raising funds.

And organizers faced other problems, from shifting priorities to a time-consuming trademark squabble, that have taken some of the shine off early aspirations for the centennial celebration.

Despite the problems, organizers say Arizona's 100th birthday will be memorable.

"It's not flashy, flamboyant, 75 minutes of fireworks," said Win Holden, publisher of Arizona Highways magazine and one of the members of the Arizona Centennial Commission.

The state will have fireworks, but Holden said the celebration's legacy will be community-generated projects, such as tree plantings and volunteers donating 100 hours of time to a worthy cause.

"That's Arizona," he said of the smaller-scale projects. "It's conservative, it's logical."

It's also low-budget.

The commission is working with a $5 million budget, compared with early estimates of $35 million.

A lot of that is being poured into the Best Fest, a two-day event at the Capitol featuring cultural performances, booths and attractions celebrating Arizona.

"We're sweating it a bit," Karen Churchard, the commission's director, said of fundraising efforts.

The event runs Feb. 11-12, the weekend before the official 100th birthday.

Money, or the lack of it, has been the biggest impediment to the centennial being as big an event as, say, Oklahoma's. In 2007, that state staged a $60 million event that included adding a dome to its Capitol.

"It just breaks my heart," Blake Wade, executive director of Oklahoma's Centennial Commission, said of Arizona's low-key affair. "We were at a time when the oil business was booming and things were good back in '07 for the centennial of Oklahoma."

It's been a different story in Arizona. Early pledges of up to $5 million in state dollars evaporated as the state budget faced daunting deficits. The commission has been relying almost entirely on private donations.

Fundraising was lackluster.

In October 2010, the commission convinced Karl Eller, chairman and CEO of the Eller Co., to lead its capital campaign. Still, it was no easy task.

"He took this on knowing full well that it would be like pushing water uphill," Holden said.

Eller rounded up contributions from corporate donors, but the "usual suspects" did not write six- and seven-figure checks, Holden said.

That shifted the commission's attention to smaller-scale efforts, such as the penny drive to raise money to buff up the copper dome on the 1900 Capitol and raffle tickets to win the "copper chopper," a custom motorcycle with abundant copper detailing designed by artist Paul Yaffe.

"We're selling things frantically," Churchard said of centennial-themed items.

The penny drive took an unexpected -- and fortunate -- turn when a October 2010 hailstorm caused so much damage to the dome that it had to be replaced, with insurance picking up the tab. The penny-drive proceeds are in an endowment fund to polish up the dome the next time it needs it, Churchard said.

Copper-chopper ticket sales will probably be just enough to cover the costs of touring the motorcycle around the state, Churchard said.

Although centennial plans started in 2004,progress was haphazard. Gov. Janet Napolitano established the Arizona Centennial Commission in 2008, but those efforts slowed when Jan Brewer became governor.

Brewer had higher priorities, such as wrestling with a gaping budget hole.

Brewer added a complication when she announced plans to convert the Mining and Mineral Museum into a centennial museum. That led to the mining museum's abrupt closure last year, angering volunteers and staffers.

"It's been a challenge to have the negativity surrounding it," said Churchard, the only commission staffer on the state payroll.

Meanwhile, conversion of the building at 15th Avenue and Washington Street into the Arizona Experience Museum is on hold. So far, there's $950,000 pledged toward the $12.75 million effort.

Last year, the Arizona Small Business Association threatened to sue for a trademark violation over the commission's use of the word "amAZing" in its promotional materials. The business group has a trademark on the phrase "be amAZed."

That prompted the commission to drop plans to use banners proclaiming "amAZing."

Differing opinions of how to celebrate the centennial also scuttled plans to stage Best Fests in each of Arizona's historical capitals.

While Prescott had a three-day fest last fall, Tucson and the commission couldn't agree on where to hold the event. Tucson will host its own celebration.

One of the few commission projects that's run smoothly is the transformation of Washington Street into "Centennial Way." Paid for by a $6.8 million federal transportation grant, matched by a $400,000 Phoenix contribution, the street is now lined with memorials to the state's counties and Native American tribes.

The complications have lowered expectations, but many said they're not sure what the standard should be for a centennial.

"It's been tough, but I'm not down," said Marshall Trimble, state historian and member of the Centennial Commission. "It's probably going to be the only one I'm going to see."
AZ Central

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Wow...how iconic...

Nobody is ever going to go look at these. The state would have been much better served by spending their limited resources on a singular entity (building, sculpture or otherwise) at Wesley Bolin. At least then it would be easier to draw the public in to something new.
I don't disagree with you but these funds were earmarked for the Centennial Celebration so that really wasn't on the table.

Quote:
There are no pedestrians in that part of town.
There are plenty of pedestrians, as I stated earlier, there are lots of vagabonds and hobos roaming those streets.

Quote:
What a waste.
I actually disagree with you here. In the big scheme of things they really didn't spend much money. The Capitol Mall area was really run-down and just blah looking. Although what has been done is minor, I think it makes a big difference.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest