HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Undoubtedly this is already in a lot of the press coverage, but I thought I'd post it just for completeness:

Friends of the Parks
Lucas Museum Departure Statement

Chicago, Illinois - "It is unfortunate that the Lucas Museum has made the decision to leave Chicago rather than locate the museum on one of several alternative sites that is not on Chicago's lakefront. That would have been the true win-win," said Friends of the Parks Executive Director Juanita Irizarry and Board Chair Lauren Moltz.
For the sale of "completeness" let me say that I, personally, will never forget this as long as I live. At this point it's hard for me to overstate the antipathy that I and a lot of people have for FotP. If the assumption is that time will cure this it would be very incorrect.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
For the sale of "completeness" let me say that I, personally, will never forget this as long as I live. At this point it's hard for me to overstate the antipathy that I and a lot of people have for FotP. If the assumption is that time will cure this it would be very incorrect.
Good luck to FOTP trying to get anything done with the city from now on when the two parties disagree on something. They have effectively screwed with their political power even if they "won" this. There is no doubt that they did more damage for themselves in terms of power than they will realize right now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:54 AM
Development Shill

Called this months ago, but you all laughed at me

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Called this months ago, but you all laughed at me
I agree that this was not gonna work out at this location.
for all the wrong reasons.
however i think Chicago has more important problems like
police, education and transportation.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
I agree that this was not gonna work out at this location.
for all the wrong reasons.
however i think Chicago has more important problems like
police, education and transportation.
And that has nothing to do with LMNA when LMNA was going to be paid for completely by Lucas, not the city or state.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 5:26 AM

^^^ All problems which could have benefited from more tax revenue (and the literal education provided by a museum). Meanwhile the LMNA would have done nothing to increase crime, hurt education, or reduce transportation.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 5:44 AM

Gexit.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Gexit.
Trumpexit 2016!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 6:10 AM

While the inflexibility of Friends was ridiculous, I really don't understand why the Lucases were hell bent on being located next to a football stadium, on a site that is frigidly windswept for months of the year. By now they could have worked out a deal for a magnificent building on a magnificent urban site that would be part of the downtown fabric.

Here's to hoping Lucas realized that he overplayed his hand, that his ego now looks like it's overshadowing his wisdom, that he's looking for a way to climb down, and that some prominent intermediary will publicly come in and convince him over to another local site. Starting with people with five-letter names starting with O (like a certain talk show host or a president). Rahm needs a hero win too. Though this plot is just too hollywood.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
While the inflexibility of Friends was ridiculous, I really don't understand why the Lucases were hell bent on being located next to a football stadium, on a site that is frigidly windswept for months of the year. By now they could have worked out a deal for a magnificent building on a magnificent urban site that would be part of the downtown fabric.

Here's to hoping Lucas realized that he overplayed his hand, that his ego now looks like it's overshadowing his wisdom, that he's looking for a way to climb down, and that some prominent intermediary will publicly come in and convince him over to another local site. Starting with people with five-letter names starting with O (like a certain talk show host or a president). Rahm needs a hero win too. Though this plot is just too hollywood.
Wind swept and frigid like the Adler, Field and Shedd?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 12:58 PM

Chexit

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Undoubtedly this is already in a lot of the press coverage, but I thought I'd post it just for completeness:

Friends of the Parks

Chicago, Illinois - "It is unfortunate that the Lucas Museum has made the decision to leave Chicago rather than locate the museum on one of several alternative sites that is not on Chicago's lakefront. That would have been the true win-win," said Friends of the Parks Executive Director Juanita Irizarry and Board Chair Lauren Moltz.
HA! How many times have we litigated this on these forums. Look, an independent panel determined this to be the best site in Chicago, and, more importantly, IT WAS THE ONLY SITE LUCAS WOULD CONSIDER. With regard to site, there was really nothing ever to negotiate.

So, other sites are irrelevant if you want to accept a free institution that would continue to reward Chicago for generations and generations to come.

You should feel pathetic, Mr. Downtown, for your myopic, yet 'principled' objection to this addition of a museum and parkland to the Museum Campus

Last edited by pilsenarch; Jun 25, 2016 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:

Friends of the Parks

Lucas Museum Statement

Lucas Museum of Narrative Art Withdraws from Chicago
Museum will be built in California

The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art announced today that in light of extensive delays caused by Friends of the Parks, Chicago will no longer be considered a potential site for the museum. The Board of Directors and executive leadership of the museum confirmed that California will be its future home.

“No one benefits from continuing their seemingly endless litigation to protest a parking lot,” said George W. Lucas, founder and chairman of the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art. “the actions initiated by friends of the Parks and their recent attempts to extract concessions from the city have effectively overridden approvals received from numerous democratically elected bodies of government.”

The location – a parking lot near Soldier Field – was originally selected by Chicago’s Site Selection Task Force in May 2014 and subsequently approved by the city council, Park District, Plan Commission, Department of Zoning, Illinois General Assembly and the governor. When the city offered McCormick Place East as an alternative to the parking lot, Friends of the Parks announced plans to block consideration of that location as well as any lakefront slate or park in Chicago.

On behalf of his wife, Mellody Hobson, and other members of the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art Board of Directors, Mr. Lucas expressed gratitude to the many people throughout the community worked tirelessly to bring the institution to life on Chicago’s Museum Campus. “We are deeply appreciative to Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Governor Bruce Rauner and countless others for all the time and effort they invested in trying to secure the museum for Chicago,” Said Mr. Lucas.

The education-focused public institution remains dedicated to expanding public understanding and appreciation of narrative art in all its forms, providing inspiration and learning, especially for young people.
Mr. Lucas stated, “While Chicago will not be home to the museum, my wife and I will continue to enthusiastically support a wide variety of educational and cultural activities throughout the city.”

STATEMENT FROM MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL ON THE LUCAS MUSEUM OF NARRATIVE ART

“Two years ago to the day, George Lucas and Mellody Hobson announced that they had chosen Chicago as the site of their incredible legacy investment. The opportunity for a City to gain a brand new museum is rare, and this particular opportunity – a gift worth approximately $1.5 billion – would have been the largest philanthropic contribution in Chicago’s history.

Unfortunately, time has run out and the moment we’ve consistently warned about has arrived – Chicago’s loss will be another city’s gain. This missed opportunity has not only cost us what will be a world-class cultural institution, it has cost thousands of jobs for Chicago workers, millions of
dollars in economic investment and countless educational opportunities for Chicago’s youth.

Despite widespread support of the project from Chicago’s cultural, business, labor, faith and community leaders and the public, a legal challenge filed by Friends of the Parks threatened to derail this once-in-a-generation opportunity.

We tried to find common ground to resolve the lawsuit – the sole barrier preventing the start of the museum’s construction. But despite our best efforts to negotiate a common solution that would keep this tremendous cultural and economic asset in Chicago, Friends of the Parks chose to instead
negotiate with themselves while Lucas negotiated with cities on the West Coast.”

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
HA! How many times have we litigated this on these forums. Look, an independent panel determined this to be the best site in Chicago, and, more importantly, IT WA THE ONLY SITE LUCAS WOULD CONSIDER. With regard to site, there was really nothing ever to negotiate.

So, other sites are irrelevant if you want to accept a free institution that would continue to reward Chicago for generations and generations to come.

You should feel pathetic, Mr. Downtown, for your myopic, yet 'principled' objection to this addition of a museum and parkland to the Museum Campus
An independent panel comprised of whom? Rahm and George?

Kamin is right. If he had simply engaged the community on this process from the beginning rather than taking a dictatorial approach (MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY) I suspect this would have gone far smoother than it did.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 2:24 PM

HA! (again) the 'community' in case you didn't notice, was in FULL SUPPORT of the Museum Campus site...

Kamin is a tool of Tronc and his suburban readers...

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...Report.pdf.pdf

Last edited by pilsenarch; Jun 25, 2016 at 2:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 2:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I really don't understand why the Lucases were hell bent on being located next to a three of the city's biggest museums,
Fixed it.

And yeah, totally agree, what an odd site choice.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 2:44 PM

Why does anyone care what Blair Kamin says?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 2:49 PM
THAT Guy

Well that was fun. I don't think I will ever understand the "logic" behind FoTP or their supporters but I'm not sure that matters as they are probably now considered a radioactive fringe group in Chicago. Kamin, as is usual these days, strays away from being an architecture critic and veers into subject-matter he is not well-versed in.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:53 PM

^^^ I dunno, Kamin seems exceedingly well versed in sheer stupidity, which is the subject matter of most of his articles lately.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 5:28 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I believe its time to shut down this thread as the issue is dead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive