HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 8:30 PM

I agree with your selection of starters, assuming they don't sign anyone between now and the start of the season.
For the bullpen:
Janssen
Delabar
Cecil
Santos
McGowan
Loup
Drabek
Rogers

I don't think Nolin and Stroman are ready yet to be up full time. But no doubt expect to see them up if injuries require.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 12:31 AM

^Yeah, Drabek could surprise. It's interesting to note how forgotten he has become by Jays' fans and even the organisation. I mean, it's not that the Jays have actually forgotten about him but their expectations are certainly quite muted at this point. He could still become a decent pitcher...maybe...perhaps.

As an aside, the Bisons will have a interesting starting rotation to watch with the likes of Stroman, Nolin, Romero, etc., toeing the rubber this season. It would definitely be worthwhile heading down the QEW for a game or two. Great ballpark, too.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
I agree with your selection of starters, assuming they don't sign anyone between now and the start of the season.
For the bullpen:
Janssen
Delabar
Cecil
Santos
McGowan
Loup
Drabek
Rogers

I don't think Nolin and Stroman are ready yet to be up full time. But no doubt expect to see them up if injuries require.
If the Jays don't go north with Jeffress, L Perez and Redmond they'll either have to clear waivers or be traded - there's no way they could be sneaked onto the Bison's roster. However, they don't have much trade value either, so the Jays have some difficult decisions to make. Someone could end 'injured' I suppose, as I suspect will happen coming out of Spring Training. Janssen certainly looks like he's headed that way, so there's another roster spot - temporary though it may be.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:05 AM

Injury report.

Rasmus has sat out four straight games with a 'stiff neck.' They really need him to be healthy - Gose just isn't ready to play every day.

Janssen still experiencing soreness in his shoulder.

You can be sure the Jays will start the season with one or two pitchers on the DL. That will open up a couple more roster spots for those 'out-of-options' guys.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:02 AM

JA Happ has been sh*t apparently due to some sort of back issue. He looks to be in tremendous shape, however - maybe too good.

I sometimes wonder if players have become too muscular for their own good. Just look at Lawrie - he looks more like a Jack Russel Terrier than a ball player. He's very tightly wound and you can see the result of that with his various leg injuries (hamstring) over the years.

Anyway, this Happ situation puts a little pressure on AA. If he continues to struggle with this injury, I think Anthopolous has to make a deal. They were really banking on a healthy and effective JA Happ anchoring the four-slot this season. Do you really want to face a whole season with Hutchison (who has been amazing btw) and Rogers/ Redmond on the back end? Is that really good enough? My guess is he's madly putting a deal together for Johan Santana. Santana's still a few weeks away, but he's the kind of short term deal that would suit this organisation. We'll see...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:03 AM

Right, just found out Johan Santana's off the market. F**k!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:14 AM

I thought it was Ervin Santana the Jays were interested in?
Ervin Santana Chance Of Signing With The Jays

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 8:36 PM
Beefeater

Santana wouldn't have been a solution of the Jays anyway. He's not expected to join the O's until mid-season as he recovers from his shoulder surgery.

I think as Jays fan we have to hope AA signs Ervin Santana late and we get lucky with someone like Hutch, Drabek, or Stroman surprising the league.

As it stands now the rotation requires a miracle to allow this team to seriously contend.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 1:20 AM

You're right about Johan - it wouldn't have made any difference.

But, really, how can AA let this rotation potentially go into the season as it stands now? I know Stroman and Hutchison have been impressive but I'd be much more comfortable with one or both of them starting at AAA. Perhaps I'm being hysterical.

I get the feeling, though, that AA will not be pressured into signing Ervin Santana - he doesn't like him that much (nor does anybody else for that matter). This team will sink or swim with its current roster. If they are successful, then money will flow. If not, heads will roll. That's the impression I get anyway.

Of course, little of this will matter if Dickey improves over last season, Buehrle repeats what he always does and if Morrow makes 30+ starts. If those three are happy and healthy, they could potentially carry an otherwise rag tag rotation.

BTW, Romero looked good the other day. He still won't make the team out of Spring Training, however. He's going to have to prove himself over time at Buffalo.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 9:54 AM

A related story about Ervin Santana.

This team has a $135mm payroll and the oddsmakers have them finishing last. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Perhaps AA's hands are tied or perhaps he really and truly believes that what they have is better than anything on the market. We'll never know but when Santana signs with the Orioles or the Yankees for 1 year at $9mm, the media and fan backlash will be substantial. For optics alone, AA needs to take a serious run at this guy.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 10:10 AM

Jays sign Jeremy Jeffress clone Radhames Liz.

The Dominican righty led the Korean league in Ks last year and is known to touch 100 mph. Much like Jeffress, however, he's been known to miss the strikezone by several feet.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 9:37 PM

Regarding Santana (the E variety) I do think he would be a lift for the average fan because it will look like AA is doing something to bring in a name. But his stats don't bode well for the dome, and from what I recall, he's always struggled in recent years when he's played here. Not sure if there's anything to be read into that, but it does strike me as perhaps one of the reasons AA isn't rushing to sign him.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM

What do I know....???

Santana And Jays Near To A Deal

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 1:21 AM

Nice scoop. I'll believe it when he suits up for the press conference, however. Like a lot of fans, I need to know that AA tried to sign the guy, at least.

You're right that he's not an ideal fit for Skydome but then look at Dickey's stats from 2013 (224.2 IP/ 4.21 ERA/ 35 HR). I would expect similar stats from Santana which I think most fans and the organisation would be pretty pleased with.

Let's see where this goes.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 12:57 AM

So while we wait for Santana to make up his mind, days continue to get crossed off the Spring Training calendar.

Dickey threw over 80 pitches the other day and will be upping that number to 100 in future outings. Meanwhile, Santana hasn't thrown a pitch.

Regardless of who he signs with, what are the chances he'll be ready to go by game 1?

Highly unlikely.

Pitchers and position players who miss all or part of Spring Training typically don't go on to have great seasons. Surely he and his agent are keenly aware of this.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post

Pitchers and position players who miss all or part of Spring Training typically don't go on to have great seasons. Surely he and his agent are keenly aware of this.
Absolutely. And yet it seems that he is holding out for money. Which considering it's likely he's only going to get a short contract from what I read, he needs to play well this year to get more money in his next signing. I think he and his agent are being very short-sighted. I would hope at least he is throwing simulated games on his own somewhere to at least stay kinda in shape.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 11:45 PM

^I would hope so.

Regardless, he'll likely have to hang around Florida for a couple or three weeks after the season starts.

It's not a great situation no matter how you slice it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 2:13 PM

Santana's signed with Atlanta. So there's no need to worry about him being ready to pitch for the Jays now. The question now remains who will be the five starters come April?

I would guess:
Dickey
Buerhle
Morrow
Happ
Hutchinson

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 12:11 AM

Totes bummer, man.

Is Happ going to be ready to go? Remains to be seen and even if he is, who cares. We may see Romero in the starting rotation at this rate.

The Jays will need heroic efforts from all their starters to not finish dead last.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 12:36 AM

Apparently Santana's right elbow is being held together by duct tape and one shredded ligament. It was recommended that he have Tommy John - a couple years ago - but he decided to pitch through it. That's where he stands today - a ticking time bomb. Everybody knows this and that's why nobody offered him a multi-year deal. All that said, I suppose he's no different from 80% of all starting pitchers. Anyway...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto