HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
If high speed rail ever comes to London, LIA will become almost redundant, particularly if there is a Pearson stop.
The current vision has one stop in Kitchener, one at Pearson, and one in downtown Toronto.

Yes, the assertion that a HSR could hurt London airport has some validity using the circumstances of the day. However it won't end up being that cut and dried IMO. As a quick example, Westjet is offering airfare to Pearson from London for under $100 using current aircraft. By the time any HSR is operational (15 - 30 years from now), a new (or second or third) generation of aircraft beyond what is flying today will be in use. Considering the advancements in composite materials, avionics, and propulsion all being used to drive the cost of airline operations down (and will continue to do so), I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of an air trip from London to Toronto will be fairly competitive with HSR (I've seen the proposed cost of HSR ticket prices). In short, although cost may still favor HSR, it won't be a very dramatic difference. If I were traveling overseas and were hauling a fair bit of luggage, I'd pay the extra $20 or $30 to not have haul that on and off a crowded commuter train and then into Pearson.

The real advantage that HSR will offer is to get the short stay business traveler from downtown London to downtown Toronto and then back again in one fell swoop in a reasonable period of time. If London airport loses business, it will be the loss of this customer - which although significant can be accommodated for with smart management, considering the lead time that the airport will have to change its business model.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
If I were traveling overseas and were hauling a fair bit of luggage, I'd pay the extra $20 or $30 to not have haul that on and off a crowded commuter train and then into Pearson.
This is exactly what I was going to say, certainly HSR would impact LIA for day trip/business meeting type of traffic but over I do not think the impact would be that great.

Regardless of all that, LIA needs to continue to try and attract more traffic by offering things like the Person flights, try to add in a DTW stop and as many Caribbean/MX type direct flights as a niche.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 1:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

If only there were more direct flights from LIA. How I wouldn't love to have more options to get to Montreal, to Vancouver, etc.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
By the time any HSR is operational (15 - 30 years from now), a new (or second or third) generation of aircraft beyond what is flying today will be in use. Considering the advancements in composite materials, avionics, and propulsion all being used to drive the cost of airline operations down (and will continue to do so), I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of an air trip from London to Toronto will be fairly competitive with HSR (I've seen the proposed cost of HSR ticket prices).
It's difficult to predict what will happen decades down the road, but I agree with you that in particular materials will improve efficiency in aerospace immensely. Another prediction that I think has a high probability of coming to pass over that time frame, though, is that we institute carbon pricing. There's little chance of air travel using any other fuel for the foreseeable future, and when air travelers are no longer able to externalize the costs of their carbon emissions, high-speed rail will be highly cost competitive with short-haul air travel.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:42 PM
Downtown

Quote:
I've seen the proposed cost of HSR ticket prices
Can you elaborate on what prices may look like?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Can you elaborate on what prices may look like?
In the last "feasibility study" done by the province, they claimed the "average fare" would be just over $40.00. Then-transportation minister Murray claimed that frequent travelers would be paying maybe as little as ten or fifteen dollars.

I would say these should be taken with a grain of salt. Murray's comments especially were made during the election period.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:33 PM

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal...r-routes.shtml

4X weekly between London and Vancouver this summer. Offered it a number of years ago, was marketed as Vancouver - London - Halifax.

Nice route to have for London. Hamilton also getting direct service to Vancouver, but 3X week

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 12:02 AM

Still waiting for direct flights from Edmonton to London

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal...r-routes.shtml

4X weekly between London and Vancouver this summer. Offered it a number of years ago, was marketed as Vancouver - London - Halifax.

Nice route to have for London. Hamilton also getting direct service to Vancouver, but 3X week
Great route to have for London, I would have liked to see the service extended a bit since this only extends for 2 months but better than nothing.

The price is decent as well, about $500 round trip compared the same date/times with Aircanada out of Toronto and it is $750.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Great route to have for London, I would have liked to see the service extended a bit since this only extends for 2 months but better than nothing.

The price is decent as well, about $500 round trip compared the same date/times with Aircanada out of Toronto and it is $750.
I'm getting like $700. When is it $500?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 2:53 PM

Go to Westjet's website. I see $280 each way on certain dates in early August.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlewis91 View Post
I'm getting like $700. When is it $500?
Make sure you are selecting a date after June 29th? Below is what I got today for July 6th departure and 15th return

Air transportation charges (ATC)
1 adult - base fare: $408.00 CAD
Other ATC: $46.00 CAD
Taxes, fees and charges: $113.07 CAD
Total with taxes: $567.07 CAD

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am fed up with the extremely misleading travel prices advertised by Air Canada.

"Toronto-Vancouver Return Trip, $399!!"

plus $122336 taxes and surcharges and other bullshit

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 12:05 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am fed up with the extremely misleading travel prices advertised by Air Canada.
It's marketing, deception is the name of the game.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
It's marketing, deception is the name of the game.
So annoying when, basically easy rule is to double the price seen.

If it was just "tax" then okay but the amount of hidden fees for flying is a joke. You can go to the UK for the same price as Vancouver lol

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Make sure you are selecting a date after June 29th? Below is what I got today for July 6th departure and 15th return

Air transportation charges (ATC)
1 adult - base fare: $408.00 CAD
Other ATC: $46.00 CAD
Taxes, fees and charges: $113.07 CAD
Total with taxes: $567.07 CAD
I was looking at august 10-14... was over $700

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 7:03 PM

Two more direct flight options to Toronto, this time via WestJet:

Quote:
Travellers to Toronto now have another option -- two, in fact.

Westjet is adding two direct flights a day from London to Toronto, joining nine flights a day now offered by Air Canada.

"This is great for us, we have been after this for years," Mike Seabrook, chief executive of London International Airport, said Thursday,

Westjet has operated out of London since 2002, but when the service kicks off Tuesday it will be the first time it offers direct fights to Toronto from here.

"It gives travellers another option and encourages more people to travel. Now Air Canada flights from here are full."

The flights are scheduled to leave at 6:30 a.m. and 3:05 p.m.

Now Westjet flies to Calgary, Winnipeg and sun destinations in the winter. It will also offer service to Vancouver from London starting June 29.
http://www.lfpress.com/2016/03/10/we...don-to-toronto

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 3:41 PM

Yes please...this could be huge for LIP. Much needed service as well, the cost to fly within Canada is a joke currently compared to EUR and USA, etc

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/08/03/ne...emption-to-fly

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 12:10 PM

Small regional airports like LIA have to offer advantages that the large ones can't. For example real cheap parking, short lines, superfast checkin and luggage handling, low airport fees for both the passengers and the airlines. Make it super convenient for travellers and they will prefer to fly out of London rather then deal with the hassles of flying out of Toronto or Detroit.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Small regional airports like LIA have to offer advantages that the large ones can't. For example real cheap parking, short lines, superfast checkin and luggage handling, low airport fees for both the passengers and the airlines. Make it super convenient for travellers and they will prefer to fly out of London rather then deal with the hassles of flying out of Toronto or Detroit.
And what this could potentially mean is if a high-speed rail line is built from Toronto to Windsor, with the K-W region and London becoming stops along the way, people could opt to skip the line-ups, the high cost of parking and general aggravation from flying out of Pearson and fly from London instead.

This could potentially result in LIA needing to be expanded, not downgraded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure