HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 12:36 AM

I wonder how the bid price for this smaller expo compares to the full world expo bid calgary made for 2005. I will have to go digging!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 5:07 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Just reviewing the Expo documents on the COE site.. there's still no real firm talk of a venue.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the Muni site is where it would be ?
I remember reading some where that the site should be pretty, surrounded by nature and with a complimentary view of the city. Sounds more like a river valley location to me.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 5:44 PM
HVAC guru

The muni aint pretty, but it does have a pretty complimentary view of the city. Not much nature around there either.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Home.aspx

http://en.epochtimes.com/

The more I think about this though, and as frequent user of the river valley, I don't know how keen I'd be on having massive crowds down there. And yes everyone'll say people should take the bus but you know there will be massive parking problems down there. Something attached to the LRT makes much more sense.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 5:21 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
there are several sites under review...some in the river valley, some not...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 6:34 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck View Post
there are several sites under review...some in the river valley, some not...
Do you know which sites specifically?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 7:20 PM

I would point to the thing that really helped get Calgary's '05 bid off the gorund, and that Edmonton currently lacks:

Quote:
Calgary is awarded right to bid for Expo 2005

OTTAWA, September 7, 1995 The Government of Canada announced today that the Organizing Committee from Calgary has been awarded the right to compete internationally to host EXPO 2005.

Calgary was the only one that met all the requirements, including the unequivocal guarantee from the Province of Alberta to cover any deficits it may incur. These requirements included the following:" that...there is clear evidence that the exposition is financially viable, that any deficit can be guaranteed, and that the international obligation of the Government of Canada to ensure the good order of the exposition and the rights of foreign participants can be fulfilled...".

Canadian Heritage Minister Michel Dupuy said on behalf of the Government that this has been a difficult choice as both bids were excellent, but the bid from Calgary was able to meet the financial guarantees required the Ottawa/Hull bid was not.

He congratulated the organizing committees from Calgary and Ottawa/Hull for their creativity, competitive spirit and hard work in preparing their submissions.

"We are now in an international competition, and we encourage all Canadians to rally around the Calgary bid to ensure its success in securing EXPO 2005 for Canada," said Mr. Dupuy. "We are confident that Calgary, with its experience in staging world calibre events, will be successful in hosting EXPO 2005."

Copies of the letters from Alberta concerning financial arrangements are attached.
I am not sure what the timeline is for selection these days, but it seems time is likely running short. As for bid financing the Calgary bid ended up spending about $7 million USD by the time it lost in '97, compared to Japan's reported spending north of $25 million (including custom Rolex's given to Exposition officials).

Haven't found and more detailed information, but I haven't went onto InfoMart yet.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 4:07 AM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Read the date...1995. That was a year before the bid.

Calgary had to negotiate just like Edmonton is having to now, and the funding was not guaranteed until they developed their detailed business case.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 4:08 AM
why try anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKAN104 View Post
Do you know which sites specifically?
Yes.

...and no I will not publish as speculation will run rampant...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 3:38 PM
Community Guy

^Leduc?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 4:31 PM
DRINK

AHD and 50st.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 4:48 PM
Community Guy

millwoods golf course

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 4:56 PM
DRINK

you win.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 11:07 PM
why try anymore

Airdrie

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 3:33 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Red Deer?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 6:00 AM
why try anymore

k seriously...on the river...you all get stilts and a life jacket/...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 1:26 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

$2.3-million bid for Expo 2017 a bargain if it boosts Edmonton's image
Passing up a key branding opportunity to polish off a growing list of infrastructure projects is shortsighted

Todd Babiak
The Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A couple of my friends recently travelled to Green Bay, Wis., to watch a Packers game. They attended tailgate parties, bought cheese-shaped hats and visited the statues and other hallowed grounds in and around Lambeau Field -- a structure that has only been in existence since 1957, yet resonates with emotion and mythology. For an afternoon, they also drove to Milwaukee, a city they knew only from the Brewers baseball team and reruns of Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley.

In their minds, it was a small and ugly city, working-class and unremarkable. Sitcoms about ordinary people took place in Milwaukee because it was iconically, and comically, ordinary. Yet Milwaukee shocked them with its size, its grandness and its beauty.

Milwaukee, like Edmonton, is a city in need of a successful marketing campaign -- a brand. This is why it makes so much sense to spend $2.3 million, now, on a bid for Expo 2017. It forces Edmonton, finally, to create and preserve an idea of itself that sings. Not the city of champions or gateway to anywhere or festival city, of which there are already scores. An idea that springs forth from Edmontonians, as truth, and travels.

"A city definitely needs to worry about its image," says Adam Finn, a marketing and economics professor at U of A's Alberta School of Business. "It has an impact on bringing skilled people to a city, on investment, on tourism. It's also important for citizens, that they can feel proud about a city. If you don't think about the sort of image you're creating, you'll probably end up with one you don't particularly want."

Finn says investing in an image is essential. However, not every investment is a good investment. No doubt, Milwaukee has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on branding. Yet according to the clash between my friends' prior conceptions and their actual experience, and based on a visit to their unremarkable City of Milwaukee website, it hasn't worked astonishingly well. But if a company, a city, a province or a nation doesn't take a risk, rewards are impossible.

Today, Americans are set to take a risk on a black, 47-year-old first-term junior senator whose middle name is Hussein, even though they're in desperately poor financial shape. Milwaukee's failures notwithstanding, America is the greatest brand in world history. In recent years, that brand has been severely damaged. The "change" Americans are poised to make is as much an image change as anything else, and it's tremendously exciting.

That capacity for hope, for change, for risk-taking, is not historically a Canadian trait. We usually see it as naive or overreaching. Canadians are equally suspicious about mythology; we have nothing in the country equivalent to Lambeau Field, let alone the National Mall in Washington, D.C. Under the current Conservative government, we're the only developed country in the world without a cultural diplomacy program.

If Canadians are reluctant to worry about their brand, Edmontonians are downright squeamish. Why waste money on sentimentality and abstraction when there's an overpass at 23rd Avenue that hasn't been built?

City council's decision to pursue Expo 2017, a 90-day festival to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary and an opportunity for Edmonton and Alberta to present a coherent physical and emotional image to the world, is a clear indication that we understand our challenges. Like Americans lining up to vote today, we recognize that something profound isn't working.

To balk at the price tag because our municipal taxes are going up, or because oil could stabilize at $70 to $90 a barrel instead of $147, is the sort of thinking that has us stalled in this state today: The richest place in the world you've never heard of.

When Finn travels, and self-identifies as a professor at the University of Alberta, people -- even Canadians -- assume the school is in Calgary. Not that Calgary couldn't use some work.

In the 2005 documentary Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, an executive is punished in the worst way imaginable, by being shipped off from Houston to the company's office in Calgary. This bit of information is presented with an image of a blizzard and a man walking down a freeway with a jerry can in his hand.

That said, Finn isn't a booster for Expo 2017. "I think they've declined in importance," he says.

"An expo is a thing of the 19th and 20th centuries, not of the 21st, when so much information is available on the Internet and so many of us travel around the world."

It's true that a failed expo would be devastating to Edmonton's fragile reputation. But a perfect expo, a modestly spectacular reimagining of what Edmontonians are and what they could be, would be worth the price of an overpass.

tbabiak@thejournal.canwest.com
© The Edmonton Journal 2008

Copyright © 2008 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www.canada.com/components/pri...b48b6&sponsor=

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 2:05 PM

Mandel in promo pickle
Seniors grill mayor over World's Fair bid and using T.O. PR firm to promote Edmonton

By RICHARD LIEBRECHT, SUN MEDIA

November 8, 2008

Mayor Stephen Mandel isn't on a comedy tour, but his plans to promote Edmonton to the world are getting some laughs - and plenty of questions.

A crowd of seniors grilled Mandel yesterday at the first daytime town-hall meeting leading up to the 2009 city budget.

However, as Mandel talked about cutting spending, citizens at the meeting asked whether two recent initiatives - a bid for the World's Fair and the hiring of a Toronto public relations firm to promote the city - are worth the cash in the face of expected tax increases.

"The pictures people have of Edmonton (are) not as good as other cities," he told the crowd of several dozen seniors gathered at Northgate Lions Seniors Centre, 7524 139 Ave.

On Thursday, councillors told Sun Media they were surprised the city continues to pay a Toronto PR firm $169,000 a year to promote Edmonton.

And recently, city hall has come under fire for pushing a $2-million bid to bring the 2017 World's Fair to town, even though Premier Ed Stelmach said he would not cough up any cash for the project while the economy is still slumping.

Mandel said hosting a World's Fair would be "an incredibly inexpensive way to promote the city" when the provincial and federal governments pony up to help pay for the event.

"We put our head in the sand (in the 1970s), and look what happened," he said after talking about how Calgary came from behind in the past couple of decades to become a bigger city than Edmonton.

"They're bigger because they work harder."

One citizen specifically said Mandel's plan was wrong-headed, and that the city should increase its clout in northern Alberta rather than seeking attention abroad.

"I've been told pointedly (by northern Alberta friends), 'We will overfly Edmonton,' " said Ernest Pawluski, who attended the meeting and quizzed the mayor about his plan.

"I think there's more to be done with our neighbours," he added, noting that the debate about closing the City Centre Airport turns a deaf ear to northern communities.

Other questions about the cost of the measures drew chuckles. But some saw the need to promote Edmonton as inevitable.

"There's nothing you can do about it," said attendee Edna Bohachyk. "We've got to move forward.

"Those who talk about the cost of it don't see the future of it."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...f-7345521.html

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 11:55 PM
why try anymore

My god, some of these old timers need to STFU.....they turn everything into the Muni debate.

Deaf ear to northern communities my ass....what's next...demands for free signs from the city saying "keep off my lawn you young whipper snappers"....

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 8:25 PM
Community Guy

volunteer to be on one of the 4 steering committees

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...nton-expo.aspx

deadline jan 23

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 1:48 PM

Province noncommittal on World's Fair
Changing financial climate put Expo 2017 bid on back burner

Trish Audette
The Edmonton Journal

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The province is nowhere near promising dollars to back Edmonton's bid for the 2017 World's Fair, says Culture and Community Spirit Minister Lindsay Blackett.

"In light of everything that's going on with the financial circumstances that we face in the province, we have to look at all our projects," he said. "When we started talking about this six months ago, the world was a lot different.

"As I told the mayor then, we're all kind of waiting to see where our budgets end up and what kinds of moneys we have available."

City councillors unanimously approved moving forward on a bid in October, with the expectation the province would match a $2.25-million initial investment to research and build a business case. At the time, Blackett said he hadn't had in-depth conversations about the proposal, but the province had some interest in supporting the exercise.

Last month, The Journal filed a Freedom of Information request calling for all memos and e-mails discussing how the government of Alberta might support -- financially or otherwise -- the city's bid for Expo 2017. The ministry's information co-ordinator replied last week, indicating no such records exist.

Culture spokeswoman Shawna Cass confirmed Tuesday there has been no written correspondence between the department and the city on the topic of bringing the world's fair to the capital region.

"There's discussions now," Blackett said, noting the city's unofficial request has been lowered to $1.5-million.

"The initial request for money, it's 1.5 (million), that's fine. It's what do we have to commit to at the other end, whether it's millions, hundreds of millions, or billions of dollars? That's problematic when you don't know where the economy's going. How are we going to come up with that?"

Expo 2017 lines up with the 150th anniversary of Canadian Confederation, and carries a total price tag estimated between $1.6 billion and $2.3 billion.

The city will likely have to wait until April for an answer, as cabinet ministers continue hammering out the details of a provincial budget.

"Health care and education, as the premier said, those are our main priorities, doing the things that we have to do. This is more of a want, in my estimation, than a need," Blackett said. "Not to say that wants aren't something that we have to look at. We do. But we have to make sure we can do it in a fiscally prudent manner."

Launching an international bid could cost as much as $22.5 million, if Edmonton beats any Canadian competitors. The city has to send its business case to Heritage Canada by the end of this year.

"We need to do this together," Coun. Jane Batty said Tuesday. "An expo is a huge, huge undertaking, and you need to do it with support of communities, and support of businesses, and support of the government.

"I'm hoping the province will come through. Certainly from all the conversations we've had they've been very, very supportive."

So far, the city has taken steps to line up office support staff, communications, and an executive director for the project.

Coun. Don Iveson said if the province doesn't come through, the city should drop its bid.

"We need them to pay for the research and the lobbying that's required now. We need them to be on board," he said. "It's an absolute condition of proceeding."

Iveson said he's had assurances in the hallways of City Hall that the provincial government will provide a financial backstop, but he isn't so sure.

"The province is clamping down on spending," he said.

"Let's be honest. An Expo is not a cheap thing to put on."

Mayor Stephen Mandel is currently in China, lobbying for Edmonton's bid to host the 2015 World University Games. He is expected to make a stop in Shanghai, site of the 2010 World's Fair.

taudette@thejournal.canwest.com
© The Edmonton Journal 2009

Copyright © 2009 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...70c65&sponsor=

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton