HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 11:05 PM

How long ago was that in-street rail last used?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 12:26 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanW View Post
How long ago was that in-street rail last used?
That's a very good question. Long ago Salt Lake City was covered in streetcar lines and the last one went out of service in the early 50's. These particular in-street rails were not visible in my lifetime until the excavation (they had probably been paved over for many years).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 12:53 AM

:SLCdude and S.P.Hansen take us along as they catch up with some of the booming construction going on along
Salt Lake City's commuter rail corridor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
FrontRunner Adventure with S.P.Hansen & SLCdude

Murray Station

Bridge at approx. 9800 South

Same location, looking South...

Bridge in Lehi

More Lehi...

Looking South...

Looking North...

Jordan Narrows

Pics By SLCdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
I really don't have anything to add to the wonderful variety provided by SLCdude !

Here was an angle looking at the bridge at approx. 9800 South that I liked:

Here is a Union Pacific train traveling over the already completed bridge in Lehi!:
Under these bridges will be a Highway connecting I-15 to Redwood Road through Lehi.

Pics By S.P.Hansen

Last edited by delts145; May 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 1:12 AM
TL;DR

So is FrontRunner required to lay its own tracks next to those of the freight carrier? (Presumably either UP or BNSF)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 1:21 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

:SLCdude and S.P.Hansen take us along as they catch up with some of the booming construction going on along
Salt Lake City's commuter rail corridor
OK, this intro made me really happy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
So is FrontRunner required to lay its own tracks next to those of the freight carrier? (Presumably either UP or BNSF)
Utah Transit Authority bought the rights to a 25ft wide parcel of the Union Pacific corridor along the Wasatch Front from Ogden to Provo. FrontRunner operates on its own dedicated rail(s) within that corridor. FrontRunner trains don't use the fright lines and vice versa.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 4:30 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
OK, this intro made me really happy .
Utah Transit Authority bought the rights to a 25ft wide parcel of the Union Pacific corridor along the Wasatch Front from Ogden to Provo. FrontRunner operates on its own dedicated rail(s) within that corridor. FrontRunner trains don't use the fright lines and vice versa.
Here's a link to the history for this policy.
http://utahrails.net/uta/frontrunner-north.php
Start at the bottom of the page and work your way up the page to read the history as it occurred.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 4:41 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Here's a link to the history for this policy.
http://utahrails.net/uta/frontrunner-north.php
Start at the bottom of the page and work your way up the page to read the history as it occurred.
????????????????????

I'll just assume you are posting this for ardecila.

Or that you are really uptight about the fact that I averaged the amount of right of way UTA purchased from Union Pacific .

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Mar 24, 2011 at 7:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 10:03 PM

Utah joins liquefied natural gas corridor with new station

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...w-station.html

SALT LAKE CITY — What's being billed as the nation's second largest liquefied and compressed natural gas station celebrated its grand opening Tuesday on the grounds of the Flying J Travel Center, allowing Utah to take its place along a new multistate corridor.

The station will allow long-haul trucks to fuel up on liquefied natural gas, which is natural gas supercooled to -260 degrees Fahrenheit that burns up to 50 percent cleaner than diesel.

It marks the first time in Utah the fuel will be sold, enabling carriers to store more energy on board in a smaller volume. According to the Center for Liquefied Natural Gas, the super cooling method reduces the volume of natural gas by a factor of more than 600 — comparable to taking a beach ball down to the size of a ping pong ball...

...The $3 million station at 2025 S. 900 West will also fast-fill compressed natural gas to the public...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:29 AM
Robotic Construction

Of course he's posting that for ardecila, as it directly answer's ardecila's question. He simply quoted your response to ardecila, as it really didn't answer ardecila's question, so he was providing more detailed follow up information. Thank you electricron. Seems UP and Passenger Rail = incompatible in almost all cases I've seen around the country. While more costly to Utah, it will certainly be better in the long run. These dedicated, 79 mph tracks will be upgradeable to 110 mph rating someday.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 12:15 PM

UDOT makes history with American Fork bridge move

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...idge-move.html

AMERICAN FORK — The so-called Super Bowl of bridge moving took place Saturday night without commercial interruption but plenty of fanfare.

More than 1,100 people watched as self-propelled modular transporters put in place the 354-foot, 3.8 million-pound Sam White Bridge — the longest two-span bridge ever moved in the Western Hemisphere...

Crews prepare the transport equipment as UDOT will closes I-15 in both directions at American Fork to allow for the move of the giant Sam White Bridge. This is considered to be the largest bridge built to date in the western hemisphere using the now famous Self Propelled Modular Transporter System. Sunday, March 27, 2011. Mike Terry, Deseret News (Mike Terry, Deseret News)

..."We've kind of made the connection with the Super Bowl experience," Bryce Jaynes, the accelerated bridge construction project engineer for UDOT, said prior to the move. "We're basically moving a Super Bowl field up there, and we're moving it in a matter of hours."...

Mike Terry, Deseret News

Mike Terry, Deseret News

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 1:22 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Cell carriers to roll out payment program in Utah

Associated Press
By Brian Skoloff

Quote:
A joint venture between three of the four largest wireless cell phone carriers will soon bring a mobile payment program to Utah's public transportation system.

The move marks the first commercially available mobile fare payment offering in the United States

Isis, a mobile commerce joint venture between AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile USA and Verizon Wireless, announced Tuesday it will roll out the pilot program in Salt Lake City in 2012, offering an alternative to credit and debit cards for Utah Transit Authority fare payments.

The program is also set to work for point-of-sale purchases at retailers in the area.

AT&T's Mark Siegel says the companies expect the program to eventually be used nationwide, much like how text messaging became wildly popular once cell phone companies began allowing messaging between different carriers
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15026995

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:01 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Wow, Denver and Salt Lake are sooooooooo far out in front of everybody else in the Interior West right now in terms of infrastructure investment. Plus, they're really on the vanguard, experimenting with stuff I'll bet we'll see cropping up in projects the nation over a decade from now.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 2:20 PM

Can transit-oriented development work along Wasatch Front?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ront.html?pg=1

"It's kind of like judging a kid's college potential based on his performance in kindergarten," said Reid Ewing, a professor of city and metropolitan planning at the University of Utah. "It's got a lot of developing and growing to do before you can tell whether it's going to be successful."

Though most of them have been slowed — and in some cases stalled — by the Great Recession, several transit-oriented developments are in the works along the Utah Transit Authority's light- and commuter-rail lines...

...Farmington's 800,000-square-foot, mixed-use development Station Park is starting to take shape at the junction of I-15 and U.S. 89. Other TODs are in various stages of planning or development in Salt Lake City, Provo, Orem, Ogden, Clearfield, Layton, Sandy, Draper, Midvale, South Salt Lake and West Jordan — among others.

One of the main reasons they're moving forward, Taylor said, is TODs seem to have the support of banks, credit unions and other lenders...

...But they're not developing as quickly as builders and transit experts projected they would. Some point fingers at the economy, saying such developments would be thriving now if lenders hadn't gotten cold feet...

..."There's no question that the economy really did slow down the idea of transit-oriented development," said Ryan McFarland, UTA's transit economic development manager. "But that's OK, because it gave us an opportunity to really get out there and plan. … Planning is critical. There are ways to make transit-oriented development successful."...

Partially developed land sits empty near the North Murray UTA TRAX station on Fireclay Avenue. Transit officials believe land near station can be successfully developed. (Stuart Johnson, Deseret News)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 4:56 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
are those white blocks geofoam? what is that for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP View Post
It's basically lightweight fill. It works very well in certain situations.
http://www.geofoam.com/default.asp
Quote:
We are really into Geofoam in Utah. The major overhaul of I-15 in the late 90's introduced us to the concept and UTA and UDOT have been using it on ramps ever since then.

The biggest advantage is that Geofoam does not settle like soil fills.

Not high-jacking the thread here, just wanted to point out that I see these geofoams now being used at RTD's Denver Union Station redevelopment project. I haven't noticed them used in Denver, prior to this.

Click this link, let image load and then zoom in to the right side of the underground bus terminal. Notice next to the road, geofoam now in place and covered with dirt:
http://www.earthcam.com/client/kiewit/?cam=pano

RTD-Denver also used the construct bridge to the side, then roll out over street method, for a massive bridge on it's 60% completed West Corridor LRT Line. On the weekend of May 1, 2010, the 286-foot, 600-ton light rail bridge. Not as big as Utah's, but still massive.
Video Link

I point these things out in reaction to comment that Salt Lake City and Denver seem to be leading the way in the Interior West in transit construction and innovative construction, financing, etc... I totally agree with this comment.

Last edited by SnyderBock; Apr 11, 2011 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 6:25 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
Not high-jacking the thread here, just wanted to point out that I see these geofoams now being used at RTD's Denver Union Station redevelopment project. I haven't noticed them used in Denver, prior to this.

Click this link, let image load and than zoom in to the right side of the underground bus terminal. Notice next to the road, geofoam now in place and covered with dirt:
http://www.earthcam.com/client/kiewit/?cam=pano

RTD-Denver also used the construct bridge to the side, then roll out over street method, for a massive bridge on it's 60% completed West Corridor LRT Line. On the weekend of May 1, 2010, the 286-foot, 600-ton light rail bridge. Not as big as Utah's, but still massive.
Video Link

I point these things out in reaction to comment that Salt Lake City and Denver seem to be leading the way in the Interior West in transit construction and innovative construction, financing, etc... I totally agree with this comment.
UDOT has now performed more than half of the self-propelled modular transported bridge moves in the United States. They just finished their 25th bridge move on April 9th. I could kick myself for never getting out there to watch one of these moves taking place.

I really love how resourceful and full of spirit Utah and Colorado are with their Freeway and Transit building. They seem to have no dogmas of how things were done in the past holding them back from getting the most bang for their buck.

But I have to just give you a heads up SnyderBock, once you start messing with Geofoam you never go back. It really has only continually exploded in popularity here. I've now seen it in the building of the massive City Creek Center mall taking place downtown and on some major building projects happening at the University of Utah.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Apr 11, 2011 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:17 PM

Quote:
UDOT just posted a virtual tour of the new I-15 Provo Center Street interchange.

The new configuration is fantastic. The virtual tour is also really cool because you get to see a segment of the finished new freeway with the high mast lighting in the center.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 1:14 PM

April North Temple Viaduct Update

The North Temple viaduct, a major connector between the core
of Utah's capital city and points west.

This artist's rendering shows a rebuilt North
Temple viaduct looking south toward The Gateway with FrontRunner
going under the overpass and the airport TRAX line extending across
the viaduct, with total cost of the remake set at $71 million. Source:
Utah Transit Authority

Quote:
Nothing has changed that much on the
west side of the viaduct since the last update; the east side has now
been brought to the same level of development as the west side.

Pics By S.P.Hansen

Last edited by delts145; Jun 24, 2011 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 8:41 AM

From UtahUrbanForum

West Valley TRAX line now finished

Published: Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:06 p.m. MDT
By Richard Burwash, For the Deseret News

-

rideuta.com

Quote:
WEST VALLEY CITY — Utah Transit Authority General Manager Mike Allegra declared that construction on the West Valley TRAX light rail line was "done," while coming in ahead of schedule and under budget at a stakeholders' meeting Tuesday afternoon at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center.

Trains are now being tested and bus routes reconfigured in preparation for the Aug. 7 double grand opening of both the West Valley and Mid-Jordan TRAX extensions.

"The project has gone very smoothly," Allegra said. "I am especially proud of the phenomenal safety record — over 800,000 man hours to date on this project and not a single lost-time accident."
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...l?s_cid=rss-30

Trax line in West Valley's City Center

This will officially open in the summer with the Mid-Jordan Trax line. Respectively, they will be Utah's 4th and 5th light-rail lines. The 6th line to the SLC airport should open next year.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 5:37 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Salt Lake City Inter-model Hub

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 5:14 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

May North Temple Viaduct Update

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation