HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:43 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

{SA} San Antonio Finalist For Air Force Cybercommmand Defense HQ

• Winner will be announced in June.
  • 500 Jobs
  • Salary would be between $70,000 and $80,000 a year.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...9/daily27.html

Quote:
The U.S. Air Force has announced that Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio as one of six possible sites for the 24th Air Force, a new Air Force command focused on protecting cyberspace from threats.

According to information from Air Force officials, the criteria the Air Force will use to select the final site will include the proximity of the proposed site to other cyber operations within a prospective city, as well as access to scientific and technical expertise. Other focus area will include facilities and infrastructure, security and transportation.

The Air Force also named the following military bases as candidates for the new command: Barksdale Air Force Base, La.; Langley Air Force Base, Va.; Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.; Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.; and Scott Air Force Base, Ill.,

Initially, the Air Force identified 18 locations as a possible home for the command, including San Antonio.

The 24th Air Force command is slated to have up to a $1 billion budget, create up to 500 military and civilian jobs, and have a payroll of $40 million to $45 million once fully funded.

A provisional center for the new unit has been operating at Barksdale Air Force Base near Bossier City, La., since mid-2006.

The Air Force will make a final base selection no later than the end of June.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 2:34 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

This sounds familiar...

I am already preparing to be indignant when Ames, Iowa or Tuscaloosa, Alabama is chosen over us.

If anyone needs me, I'll be grumbling at Jims.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
This sounds familiar...

I am already preparing to be indignant when Ames, Iowa or Tuscaloosa, Alabama is chosen over us.

Ames, IA happens to be the location of one of the best engineering schools in this great nation. It also happens to produce many engineers who have been involved with military communications for nearly 100 years. Some very strong military ties up that way. I wouldn't be indignant over that at all.......

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:57 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Ames, IA happens to be the location of one of the best engineering schools in this great nation. It also happens to produce many engineers who have been involved with military communications for nearly 100 years. Some very strong military ties up that way. I wouldn't be indignant over that at all.......
how funny. i just picked a marginal big 12 city (a la manhattan, ks for the last project) and a southern town. who knew?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 4:35 PM

Well, a little inside info i guess, but certain "groups" at meetings at Brooks are already considering Lackland as the chosen location and planning the move to Lackland in 2010. We have a large presence here already with the AIA, NSA on Security Hill, Lackland, and the NSA trainng facility on Wurzbach.
With the NSA adding another 1500 jobs with the data center, these 500 jobs, the 2,700 estimated for Kelly/Port SA and the entire Ft. Sam METC project/SAMMC-N, San Antonio is going to be feeling a boom in 2010-11.
The city really needs to maximize the potential SA holds and accomodate for all the Federal dollars pumping through here.
The city needs to establish FFZ's (Federal Friendly Zones) to ensure that proper growth comes out of all of this.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Jan 22, 2009 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:27 PM

A java mailing list I'm on gets a repeated posting from a recruiter desperate to get some good high-tech people to move to San Antonio about once a month.

If this center is just for military tech employees, then they might have some luck - but if the private sector high-tech folks aren't interested in SA for USAA and other good big companies, they're definitely not going there for military contractor work.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:29 PM
Bears of antiquity

This is good news, but it seems if Austin is a dead zone for techies, then the non-military portion might have a bit of trouble with staffing.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:50 PM

The military almost never has issue with civilian hiring. The GS system recruits through a national network, with locations at all military installations. Retired military and current GS/DOD civilians have preference in this system. My guess is - provided Lackland is chosen - the same type of people will easily fill the positions; they tend to prefer a proximity to large military institutions and populations. And the service of their country, not so much big pay checks or big companies.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 10:04 PM

And they're not going to get anything close to the best and brightest by tapping that network. The name/hype makes this sound like a more advanced project than the typical thing undertaken directly by military and civilian employees of same.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
And they're not going to get anything close to the best and brightest by tapping that network. The name/hype makes this sound like a more advanced project than the typical thing undertaken directly by military and civilian employees of same.

I would really think before discounting the education level of Servicemen. First, each of the service academies are ranked among the best universities in the country. Second, many of the Officers and a few in the NCO Corps have degrees from or attended prestigious civilian universities. Third, who do you think is running USAA and several other San Antonio firms, not to mention the Washington/military industrial complex?

You should also take a look at the employment criteria for a few of these jobs for "dim whits".

Last edited by Schertz1; Jan 23, 2009 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
I would really think before discounting the education level of Servicemen. First, each of the service academies are ranked among the best universities in the country. Second, many of the Officers and a few in the NCO Corps have degrees from or attended prestigious civilian universities. Third, who do you think is running USAA and several other San Antonio firms, not to mention the Washington/military industrial complex?

You should also take a look at the employment criteria for a few of this jobs for "dim whits".
Thank you.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
This sounds familiar...

No-no. Remember, the crusty old geezer group hates change and progress. They'd likely be rooting for it to go someplace else because, "Ft. Sam's gonna be overrun with all these new folks they're sending down here. Gonna be so damn bad that I won't be able to take the misses down to the PX for a pleasant mornin' of shoppin' with all the people headed this way."

They want nothing more than for SA to be exactly like it was 'in the good-old days after dubya dubya two.'
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:06 AM

Lackland has their own BX, no need to intrude on those COG's.

But seriously, if Lackland is chosen, that'd just be topping on the cake for Lackland. Let's not forget the 500 million dollar Air Force Village I and II expansion over the next couple of years.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 12:34 PM

Is that under construction now?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 1:57 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard View Post
No-no. Remember, the crusty old geezer group hates change and progress. They'd likely be rooting for it to go someplace else because, "Ft. Sam's gonna be overrun with all these new folks they're sending down here. Gonna be so damn bad that I won't be able to take the misses down to the PX for a pleasant mornin' of shoppin' with all the people headed this way."

They want nothing more than for SA to be exactly like it was 'in the good-old days after dubya dubya two.'

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Is that under construction now?
Yes.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 10:36 PM

Could someone change the world Cyberspace to Cybercommmand please.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 11:55 PM

Lackland AFB Picked For Cyber Security Center

400 more jobs/citizens.

est.
4,000 Ft. Sam/BRAC 5000 students
1,300 Medtronic (now hiring, set to start late summer)
250 Whataburger
2,700 Port SA/AF consolidation
800 NSA

It should be a little bit more crowded around here. Now through 2011 is going to be pretty busy.

from ksat.com

Quote:
POSTED: Thursday, May 14, 2009
UPDATED: 5:59 pm CDT May 14, 2009

SAN ANTONIO -- The United States Air Force has selected Lackland Air Force Base as the site for its new cyber security command unit, according to a news release from Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison's office.

The 24th Air Force, the branch's cyber warfare organization, will employ about 400 people at an around-the-clock center focused on defending the Air Force's networks against attack and network disruption, according to the release.

Lackland Air Force Base was chosen out of six candidates, including Barksdale AFB in Louisiana, Langley AFB in Virginia, Offutt AFB in Nebraska, Peterson AFB in Colorado and Scott AFB in Illinois, according to the release.

The official announcement from the Air Force is expected Friday.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; May 15, 2009 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 1:41 AM
James

This makes me happy, very very happy. Looks like Airforce village will be in full throttle now. That's almost 10k jobs for the entire area, wow, simply wow.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 7:07 PM

Very good news indeed. Figured we would land it. Maybe help my chances of getting back home ha.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio