HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 2:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

So they arent preserving them? This city still is stuck in the 80s.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
It's obvious that they just don't get it. It's not about preserving the materials, its about preserving the street wall and the history... ugh.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 4:18 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Graham's Barbershop

I don't know if this was mentioned in any of the Lawrenceville projects, but here's a little link about Graham's Barbershop. Ryan Graham, the owner, is actually my cousin.

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...istrict-lofts/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 12:21 PM

Hopefully someone actually nominates the Playhouse buildings for historic status, because it appears that is their only hope.

An update on the first waves of new housing coming to Larimer:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201411210205

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Agreed that the headline is inaccurate. It's interesting that Acklin is quoted so extensively and there's nothing directly from the mayor. As someone pointed out here a while back, Peduto had been strangely silent on the Playhouse project since becoming mayor. He was the project's biggest supporter on City Council. He seems to be keeping his distance so he doesn't upset either side.

I had to chuckle at Rob Pfaffmann's comments. Recently a friend, who is an architect in Pittsburgh, told me that Pfaffmann is known to rally to the support of any threatened old building...unless he is in consideration to design the replacement. In those cases he keeps his mouth shut. So clearly Point Park did not consider his firm to design the new Playhouse. Maybe it should have to keep him quiet...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
Recently a friend, who is an architect in Pittsburgh, told me that Pfaffmann is known to rally to the support of any threatened old building...unless he is in consideration to design the replacement. In those cases he keeps his mouth shut.
That seems like a rather serious smear to repeat as simply "a friend told me . . ." sort of rumor.

Regardless, his views in this case should be considered on their merits, neither granted extra weight because of his professional background, nor given less weight because of such ad hominem attacks.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 3:23 PM
JasonInPGH

I was doing some digging for my Pittsburgh City limits development map, and I found more information about the new apartment building at the corner of Penn and Matilda Avenue. It will be 3 stories, with one floor of retail space, and 39 apartments. More information, including a picture here: http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/ura-fil...n_Mathilda.pdf

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post
I was doing some digging for my Pittsburgh City limits development map, and I found more information about the new apartment building at the corner of Penn and Matilda Avenue. It will be 3 stories, with one floor of retail space, and 39 apartments.
Nice! Combined with the existing buildings across the street, that should make for a cool "gateway" into that portion of Penn:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4654...Akia0mqFaQ!2e0

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 10:43 PM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
(FWIW, something big is going to be announced regarding ALMONO soon too).
Now you've piqued my interest, what kind of announcement should we expect? A building? A park? Are there any details you can give us without having to be "silenced?"

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 2:29 AM
More Varieties to Come

I don't know if this has been brought up here yet or not. I was complaining about how many Family Dollars there were in the East Liberty area and a friend just happened to be very forthcoming with some information about the Shakespeare shopping plaza.

To keep it shore, he said, "The owner of the center has a master-plan to terminate the lease of everyone in there, demo the building, and build a theater complex."

Makes me a little sad that I'll be moving from that area of the city here soon.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattofSloppyVariety View Post
"The owner of the center has a master-plan to terminate the lease of everyone in there, demo the building, and build a theater complex."
I hope that is part of a mixed-use project (it would be a shame, and probably not economically viable, to have it be ONLY a theater complex).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 5:06 AM

USX to build world headquarters at former Civic Arena site:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/...in-pittsburgh/

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post

This is big! Anyone have any idea how many sqft they currently take up?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post

That is exciting news. I cant wait to see the rendering.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 6:04 AM

Anchor tenant in new high rise would be the best case scenario. Make it so!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 7:34 AM

I'm looking forward to this afternoon's press conference. Hopefully, there will be lots of details and a preliminary rendering released. I'm guessing the building will be proposed at somewhere between 15 and 25 stories. I also wouldn't be surprised if they announce 2 or 3 total buildings, going for the "campus" set up, which would likely keep the max. height of any building under 20 stories.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 7:36 AM

Motivated by the US Steel news (and insomnia) I took a second look at the latest planning presentation. They seem to have added some new renderings of the lower hill after the fact.

I must admit, I was a skeptic of the Penguins from day one. But they seem to be doing something right.

source: http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/sch...ion-51-645.pdf

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 12:02 PM

Another article on the Simakas site:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201411240032

Quote:
Mr. Simakas said he was attached to the old relic and had read up on its history before meeting the neighbors. He proposed preserving the interior skeleton of Bay No. 4, which was built in the 1930s on top of the portion of 41st Street that had extended to the Allegheny River. The city vacated it for the Pittsburgh Rolls Corp. to build that bay, which made the rolls used in rolling mills.

Mr. Simakas said he wants to re-establish 41st Street as a pedestrian thoroughfare, removing the skin of Bay No. 4 and leaving the skeleton, with its mammoth steel columns, crossbeams and catwalks. He said he would like to use the lamps affixed to the columns to light the thoroughfare. The roof might be removed or a portion retained, he said. “The plan is to use Bay No. 4 as a space that could be a farmers or artisans market and for small performances,” he said. He envisions using part of the space behind the machine shop as an open public courtyard, possibly keeping a big blue planer mill as a relic.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 12:08 PM

Wow, that is a pretty big deal. I don't recall how much square footage they're looking for, but they currently have about 1,000 employees in the USX building and I think there's some type of call center on the south side they wanted to consolidate into their new HQ.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 12:39 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow is that an actual skyscraper planned for the lower hill in that rendering?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations