HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Actually, it's been steadily declining since 2008 (a decent regular season) http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/cubsatte.shtml. Averages this year are about 31,000 a game (10,000 less than capacity, and it shows on tv). I think that goes to show a winning team is the big draw, not the stadium.
April draws are always rough, even in better years. Look at the season capacity totals for the Cubs at Wrigley versus every other team in the majors.

2013 - 10th by percentage
2012 - 9th
2011 - 5th
2010 - 4th
2009 - 3rd
2008 - 2nd
2007 - 2nd
2006 - 2nd
2005 - 1st
2004 - 1st
2003 - 3rd

Even in lean years the Cubs still out draw almost all of baseball. Only last year did we really see a big hit in ticket sales, most of which can be attributed to the very public rebuild of the team and the ticket rate hikes. They sucked in 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011 and it didnt even leave a stratch.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 7:43 AM

LED signage is going to suck. Fenway has most of its advertising on static ( white on green board) signs. The one current Wrigley LED is already so obnoxiously bright at night, can't imagine ten of them going on during a game. Visual over stimulation is what Wrigley was counter culture to. Such a shame. MLB was suppose to screen potential owners of the Cubs so they wouldn't destroy one of the major franchises in MLB. Ultimately they bought into the Rickett's story of Cubs and Wrigley worship, but , in the end they let a son of a rich family buy a team, but who in reality is 'house poor' and has to result to begging for public subsidies and failing that has to prostitute the ballpark out to pay for his purchase.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 7:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
LED signage is going to suck. Fenway has most of its advertising on static ( white on green board) signs. The one current Wrigley LED is already so obnoxiously bright at night, can't imagine ten of them going on during a game. Visual over stimulation is what Wrigley was counter culture to. Such a shame. MLB was suppose to screen potential owners of the Cubs so they wouldn't destroy one of the major franchises in MLB. Ultimately they bought into the Rickett's story of Cubs and Wrigley worship, but , in the end they let a son of a rich family buy a team, but who in reality is 'house poor' and has to result to begging for public subsidies and failing that has to prostitute the ballpark out to pay for his purchase.
new jumbo-tron will make the classic scoreboard obsolete and irrelevant.

everyone who cares should retweet this photo

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 11:30 AM

Cool, I won't retweet it then. I feel like most of this site has become NIMBYS for Wrigley.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 12:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Cool, I won't retweet it then. I feel like most of this site has become NIMBYS for Wrigley.
and conversely, i feel like few on here recognize the important of space or the preservation of nostalgia. to me, this isn't a matter of what looks good or doesn't or what is considered nice etc... for me, this an issue regarding the destruction of a very real connection to our history and the protection of an irreplaceable experience of baseball. this model of profit over history is disgusting, and it saddens me to see so many willing to let go of this fight to preserve wrigley. so many have conceded, saying, well, it's a business decision and he's operating his business, so on and whatever... fuck that. he is operating a team that is representative of OUR city and nearly 140 years of history. have some fucking respect for the fans, and have some respect for that ballpark! that's my lament. it has nothing to do with nimbyism.

if ricketts get's his way, wrigley will be destroyed just as fenway was destroyed. and his nauseating appeal to our hearts is shameful. all this talk about how we need these so called improvements in order to bring a championship to the franchise is total detestable bullshit. this is all about money in his already deep pockets, nothing more. i see this as an attack on wrigley field's 99 year past, the lakeview neighborhood, and us fans whom support this team every single year no matter what. it is an attack on this great city, and it is attack on my loyalty, and it completely enrages me. fuck tom ricketts.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 12:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
and conversely, i feel like few on here recognize the important of space or the preservation of nostalgia. to me, this isn't a matter of what looks good or doesn't or what is considered nice etc... for me, this an issue regarding the destruction of a very real connection to our history and the protection of an irreplaceable experience of baseball. this model of profit over history is disgusting, and it saddens me to see so many willing to let go of this fight to preserve wrigley. so many have conceded, saying, well, it's a business decision and he's operating his business, so on and whatever... fuck that. he is operating a team that is representative of OUR city and nearly 140 years of history. have some fucking respect for the fans, and have some respect for that ballpark! that's my lament. it has nothing to do with nimbyism.

if ricketts get's his way, wrigley will be destroyed just as fenway was destroyed. and his nauseating appeal to our hearts is shameful. all this talk about how we need these so called improvements in order to bring a championship to the franchise is total detestable bullshit. this is all about money in his already deep pockets, nothing more. i see this as an attack on wrigley field's 99 year past, the lakeview neighborhood, and us fans whom support this team every single year no matter what. it is an attack on this great city, and it is attack on my loyalty, and it completely enrages me. fuck tom ricketts.
Blah blah blah blah blah. Put down your architectural textbooks and try running a business for once

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 1:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Blah blah blah blah blah. Put down your architectural textbooks and try running a business for once
this has nothing to do with architecture. it has everything to do with a powerful emotional connection that wrigley has with many, MANY people. ricketts can make smart, responsible business decisions without ruining the ballpark. and it's extremely irresponsible for fans to perpetuate this very sad 'business' argument.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 1:56 PM

Wrigley Field is the Naturalistic River Bank of our lives....

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 2:06 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Take a chill there net bully. I think perhaps your own personal issues with red tape are making you lash out at others with ad hominem's . Why are you on this site if you have very suddenly forfeited your concern about the design choices of owners whose choices influence us all given that they determine the public space we all share?

What I don't understand is why some act so flip about this project and have the attitude "profit makes right" but then will get all worked up over parking podiums, faux-materials, or street facing parking on other buildings. Or they get riled up over fine details about a revamped Navy Pier, River Walk, or signage on Michigan Ave not to mention much less prominent locations. After all these are market driven decisions by the developers (or agencies) who are basing their irrefutable "business choices" and are beyond critique suddenly.

Many of us have rightfully and indignantly chimed about the aesthetics or design choices of dozens of developers/owners. How in the heck is this case any different? I'll be blunt in saying that yet another ugly parking podium is a blight but Wrigley will be endlessly more conspicuous and impactfull by comparison. This is the 2nd or 3rd most visited tourist attraction in the state. This would GREATLY change the nature and feel of the Lake View neighborhood for the neighbors, fans, and tourist who go there. Why in the hell wouldn't one opine on the highly schlocky and commercial disregard for design here as we are inclined to elsewhere? Is is just not somehow "cool" to act concerned with what goes on at 1060 W Addison? I really am curious why these plan details have gotten so little scrutiny and so much ambivalence from so many. In the ho-hum wider public I kind of expect it but on this site even? Surprised.

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Actually, a lot of the improvements are needed. Specifically, updated locker rooms and training facilities. Focusing on Wrigley Field here, as opposed to everything else in the neighborhood, the stadium will essentially only be changed by the new Jumbotron. I know you hate it, so let's not start this circle again, but a lot people were opposed to the small screen they put in right field a couple seasons ago. Ya know what, it works pretty well, they play a great opening video on it to "Sweet Home Chicago" and show important information on there. As somebody who goes to many games a year and keeps score with an old fashioned pencil and scorecard, that info is very helpful for tracking double switches.

My point is, changes need to happen to Wrigley. It needs modern amenities (unless you want to keep pissing in troughs). The concourse underneath the main grand stand is too narrow and it is very difficult the move food/drink/etc. around once the game starts. They aren't increasing the footprint of the stadium itself and I think they'll preserve Wrigley Field to a large degree as we know and love it.

As for the neighborhood, as someone who lives 3 blocks from the stadium, it's already a shitshow most of the year. Getting rid of the lots and McDonalds north of Addison is an improvement. The renderings, while bland, remind me of a lot of the teardowns that have gone up in the neighborhood over the last decade+. I'm not arguing its perfect, but I do think it fits in with the neighborhood.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 2:47 PM

Because its a baseball stadium. If people have really invested that much of their heart and souls into a baseball field and team, perhaps its time to reevaluate some life choices. I'm now convinced that no matter what was designed, it would have been met with the same "this is bullshit!" attitude that most have on this site. I dislike parking podiums, but as a car owner, and renter of a space in these said podiums, I understand they are necessary for a building to profit and keep construction costs down (rather than digging massive, below grade parking garage to appease my taste). Economics are the driving force behind everything. Everything.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:03 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
The notion that its even remotely possible they would move is ludicrous. The Wrigley "experience" is 90% of the draw of the Cubs gameday and he knows it and everyone else knows it.
Not to mention the fact that the team owns Wrigley. What will they do with it? Keep spending millions to upkeep it? It's not as easy as selling it off to a developer who could then tear it down to build on.

Or does Mr. Tom plan on selling the stadium back to the city for pennies on the dollar so that the city could refurbish it as a special events venue or some type of open space area with special programming for all seasons?

But like you say, the reason I chose to root for the Cubs had a lot to do with the stadium, WGN and the neighborhood. My dad was a Sox fan so I went against the grain solely because of the much richer experience of Wrigleyville (it definitely wasn't the team that made me a fan). That's all about to potentially change.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:09 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Because its a baseball stadium. If people have really invested that much of their heart and souls into a baseball field and team, perhaps its time to reevaluate some life choices. I'm now convinced that no matter what was designed, it would have been met with the same "this is bullshit!" attitude that most have on this site. I dislike parking podiums, but as a car owner, and renter of a space in these said podiums, I understand they are necessary for a building to profit and keep construction costs down (rather than digging massive, below grade parking garage to appease my taste). Economics are the driving force behind everything. Everything.
I don't get that kind of ignorant judgement. A condo is just a "place where people dwell". Yet nearly all of us have felt it worthy to opine on where places live (or will live) even when we aren't ourselves owners in these buildings. You consider caring about random apartments that aren't yours a much more worthy venture then caring about a baseball stadium that oneself visits (along with millions of others, including important droves of tourist) every year?

We know that value economics are the driving force and a MAJOR consideration about all development. One that note should we just close down this site now if that final determination is the end all be all?

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:12 PM
~

Quote:
I never thought NIMBYism was bad per se. That's if your goal is to improve your community instead of trying to completely impede the natural order of progression. I'm all in favor of the team improving the clubhouses, creating their hotel and offices and heightening the fan experience by trying to replicate the Yawkey Way experience (although the Cubs plan is an empty shell of Yawkey and Clark tends to already do that naturally, albeit with vehicular traffic). I think there's a ton that needs to be rethought in this plan and how the ballpark fits within the neighborhood, however. Afterall, it's not just the ballpark that made Wrigley so damn special. It's the 'hood that hugs it, too.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Because its a baseball stadium. If people have really invested that much of their heart and souls into a baseball field and team, perhaps its time to reevaluate some life choices.
that's just a stupid thing to say. come on, man. this city lives and breathes sports: specifically bears, hawks, and cubs... just because there is no fire inside you that burns for a team and you see no further meaning other than Ws and Ls, doesn't mean that there isn't an intense sports passion widespread throughout this town.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:13 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Take a chill there net bully. I think perhaps your own personal issues with red tape are making you lash out at others with ad hominem's . Why are you on this site if you have very suddenly forfeited your concern about the design choices of owners whose choices influence us all given that they determine the public space we all share?

What I don't understand is why some act so flip about this project and have the attitude "profit makes right" but then will get all worked up over parking podiums, faux-materials, or street facing parking on other buildings. Or they get riled up over fine details about a revamped Navy Pier, River Walk, or signage on Michigan Ave not to mention much less prominent locations. After all these are market driven decisions by the developers (or agencies) who are basing their irrefutable "business choices" of their choices are beyond critique suddenly.

Many of us have rightfully and indignantly chimed about the aesthetics or design choices of dozens of developers/owners. How in the heck is this case any different? I'll be blunt in saying that yet another ugly parking podium is a blight but Wrigley will be endlessly more conspicuous and impactfull by comparison. This is the 2nd or 3rd most visited tourist attraction in the state. This would GREATLY change the nature and feel of the Lake View neighborhood for the neighbors, fans, and tourist who go there. Why in the hell wouldn't one opine on the highly schlocky and commercial disregard for design here as we are inclined to elsewhere? Is is just not somehow "cool" to act concerned with what goes on at 1060 W Addison? I really am curious why these plan details have gotten so little scrutiny and so much ambivalence from so many. In the ho-hum wider public I kind of expect it but on this site even? Surprised.
Well said.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:35 PM

Hey Ricketts! Don't threaten us with a move. Just do it! You understand very clearly that your cash cow isn't the pathetic shitty team that you bought a few years ago. But Wrigley Field. Go visit Miami and see for yourself how many fans will visit a crap team in a new ballpark. NONE!

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 4:07 PM

I hate jumbrotron, i like everything else

I like everything the Ricketts proposed with the exception of the jumbotron.

They must realize how bad of an idea that jumbotron is.

Either they need to work with the rooftops and add a tron above and behind them OR they need to consider a much shorter and wider tron.

The rest of the idea is great. I don't understand the hate.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 5:26 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I think the hate might have something to do with the horrid design of everything except the little building with the Captain Morgan's Club.

As I spend very little time inside Wrigley (have much more important things to focus on than games), I can't manage to get riled up at all about the jumbotron and signage issues. The design of the new structures impacting the urban landscape, however, I care greatly about.

Acceptable profitability level does not neccessitate bad or even mediocre design people. There is nothing at all inherantly inconsistent between great profit and high quality design. Both are acheivable, and the latter should be demanded here...

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 5:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post

What I don't understand is why some act so flip about this project and have the attitude "profit makes right" but then will get all worked up over parking podiums, faux-materials, or street facing parking on other buildings. Or they get riled up over fine details about a revamped Navy Pier, River Walk, or signage on Michigan Ave not to mention much less prominent locations. After all these are market driven decisions by the developers (or agencies) who are basing their irrefutable "business choices" and are beyond critique suddenly.

I'm all in favor of people criticizing design. But 'protesting on the street'? Come on... like JM Tungsten said, in the end it's just a ballpark..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development