HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Is that your house?
ya, ain't it purdy?

similar homes on my street have been listed in the $180K-$200K range and have sold. it was never my intention to make any money on the house but with a little luck...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
It depends on the hood:
Stinson, $140,000-$150,000
Maybe five years ago! Stinson prices have skyrocketed lately. You would be hard pressed to get a home in the area for less than 180K now.There's been a flurry of activity in the neighbourhood with houses being listed and sold in short time. Five houses were listed in my neighbourhood (Stinson) in June ranging in price from 199Kto 260K. All but one are now sold - the 199K home sold within a week of its listing. The only one from the June listings still up for grabs has a 239K asking price...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:39 PM

Stinson is hot for sure. A few of the streets look really amazing with all the renovations and the beautiful gardens, not to mention some of the finest residential architecture in Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:44 PM
Closed account

yup, I ride my bike and the bus through Stinson almost everyday.
The transformation in the past 3 years has been stunning. Some of the sweetest homes in Hamilton. And tons of great reno's.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:54 PM
Closed account

^one of my favourite streets in the city is blythe - it's like stepping back in time a hundred + years.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Mum's already fallen for the style of house, throw in a big back yard, a porch she can sit on and do her Grandma thing and she'll be all set.
Your folks might have a tough time with the "big backyard" in the lower city. Mind you "big" is relative. I think my Westdale backyard is huge, but our suburban relatives run screaming with claustrophobia. Just hope your parents' quest for acreage doesn't push them out to the 'burbs.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Maybe five years ago! Stinson prices have skyrocketed lately. You would be hard pressed to get a home in the area for less than 180K now.There's been a flurry of activity in the neighbourhood with houses being listed and sold in short time. Five houses were listed in my neighbourhood (Stinson) in June ranging in price from 199Kto 260K. All but one are now sold - the 199K home sold within a week of its listing. The only one from the June listings still up for grabs has a 239K asking price...
Wow. I had no clue. My friend's rents sold their Webber St hse probably just over 3yrs ago now for only $130,000 -- I was just going off that.

I know there are some much bigger homes in Stinson that can be a lil more expensive, but I think the only thing holding this hood back is the rediculous amount of Community Homes. Stinson + St Clair must have the highest Community/Halfway House to regular residential ratio in the city.

I knew two people that bought houses on Grant Ave YEARS ago (prolly mid-late 90's) and sold them about 1.5 years ago. They made enough return to move to buy a condo downtown Toronto (Church/Wellesly area).

Stinson is definately a good investment if you want a great return... however, it can be a seedy neighbourhood at times (and for the love of God, don't shop at it's No Frills hahahaha)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:24 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Hamilton seems to have attracted the "flippers" - not sure if that's a bad thing though, they tend to improve the properties and thus the neighbourhood. However prices can only rise so far so fast before people say "Not paying that much for that".

I'll just have to hope for good luck on the real estate market when the time comes

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:26 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Stinson is definately a good investment if you want a great return... however, it can be a seedy neighbourhood at times (and for the love of God, don't shop at it's No Frills hahahaha)
See I have all this to learn, where to shop, where not to shop, how much things cost, what's a good price, etc. It's gonna be fun, and hopefully not too expensive a "trial and error" process. lol

First thing I'll need to do is find somewhere that sells decent tea, none of that Orange Pekoe rubbish!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:32 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Your folks might have a tough time with the "big backyard" in the lower city. Mind you "big" is relative. I think my Westdale backyard is huge, but our suburban relatives run screaming with claustrophobia. Just hope your parents' quest for acreage doesn't push them out to the 'burbs.
Their current back garden is about 30ft by 100ft which is quite good for just outside of London.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Their current back garden is about 30ft by 100ft which is quite good for just outside of London.
That's fairly standard for an entire lot in Westdale. Mine is 35x100

Not many lots longer than that, except highwaters.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 5:44 PM

Quote:
First thing I'll need to do is find somewhere that sells decent tea, none of that Orange Pekoe rubbish!
There are some good loose leaf tea sellers around:
-Affinity on John Street in Hamilton
-in Dundas there is a store that sells loose tea and chocolate...can't remember the name though.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 5:51 PM

There's an entire store devoted to all things British in Dundas, I've never been in before. Dundas is a very British town, there are several places where you could get good tea.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
See I have all this to learn, where to shop, where not to shop, how much things cost, what's a good price, etc. It's gonna be fun, and hopefully not too expensive a "trial and error" process. lol

Funny you mention that. I also love tea (don't drink coffee, bleh) and have yet to find a good tea shop in The Hammer
HOWEVER, there is a great (altho somewhat expensive) place in Toronto called House of Tea in the Rosedale Neighbourhood located at 1015 Yonge St. How do I even know that omg I spend way too much time in TO! haha

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:38 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Funny you mention that. I also love tea (don't drink coffee, bleh) and have yet to find a good tea shop in The Hammer
HOWEVER, there is a great (altho somewhat expensive) place in Toronto called House of Tea in the Rosedale Neighbourhood located at 1015 Yonge St. How do I even know that omg I spend way too much time in TO! haha
Awesome, that's my business idea sorted then, I shall arive in Hamilton and set up a shop that sells decent tea!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Awesome, that's my business idea sorted then, I shall arive in Hamilton and set up a shop that sells decent tea!
Great idea!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 9:29 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
There's an entire store devoted to all things British in Dundas, I've never been in before. Dundas is a very British town, there are several places where you could get good tea.
Dundas looks great in your tours, definitely somewhere to visit. Your tours definitely work to the advantage of the area.

At least that's one fear out of the way. I can live with all the supposed downsides of Hamilton, I say supposed because they seem a little exaggerated. But, I can't live in a city where I can't get a decent cup of tea!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 9:35 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by block43 View Post
There are some good loose leaf tea sellers around:
-Affinity on John Street in Hamilton
-in Dundas there is a store that sells loose tea and chocolate...can't remember the name though.
Cool, that'll be something to check out on my next visit. I have all these places that I want to see on my second visit. I'm compiling a list.

First visit was wandering around, getting the feel of the place, spending time with my family, etc.

Is there a good thread or site with "things to see and do in Hamilton"? The forgotten or overlooked Hamilton, such a thread or site would be great to show people who have never been to the city or to use as an argument against the people you guys call squelchers.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:13 PM
Closed account

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 5:21 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
I'll have a further look at that site, am sure I've looked at it before.

I was more meaning a less tourist focussed site. Something that fosters local and community spirit and activities. There are things for tourists and then things for locals. For example there are a few places in London that most self respecting Londoners would avoid because of the tourists.

btw, has anyone seen what they're selling in their eStore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion