HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 9:37 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post

Of course, that is obvious by all the top tier teams over the years.
You just proved my point.
Huh?

SA being a fan of top level pro sports proved your point how? lol

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Wolff has proposed Hemisfair Park and Fox Tech as locations.

Don't know how either would work but I'd be up for those two locations. No to the "next to the Alamodome" site.
I like the Idea of the Fox Tech site.

You have the site the school sits on as well as the ball field/track. The street between the two could be rerouted. The main downfall to this site however is the lack of major development around it. It is surrounded by a hospital, church, APA, Library, funeral home etc.

Hemesfair makes the most sense, but Fox Tech is interesting.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Huh?

SA being a fan of top level pro sports proved your point how? lol
You did by making excuses for poor attendance.

It's one thing to say your fan, and it's another thing to be a paying fan.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
You did by making excuses for poor attendance.

It's one thing to say your fan, and it's another thing to be a paying fan.
They're not excuses, they're reasons. And you can be a fan of MLB and not a fan of minor league. It's not black and white.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 12:39 PM
Let's Eat!

Wolfe Stadium is good enough.

Its not like UTSA baseball is winning a hole lot of championships nor is the Missions.

Have UTSA and the city come to agreement like they did on the Alamodome, and drop some renovations.

Upgrade the current seating, add seating, new video board. Keep it simple.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari82 View Post
Wolfe Stadium is good enough.

Its not like UTSA baseball is winning a hole lot of championships nor is the Missions.

Have UTSA and the city come to agreement like they did on the Alamodome, and drop some renovations.

Upgrade the current seating, add seating, new video board. Keep it simple.
^^This is the most ignorant post I have seen on this forum in a really long time............ wow.......
Also.......... I am in no way the grammer police, but seriously???

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 11:15 PM
Let's Eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchFan07 View Post
^^This is the most ignorant post I have seen on this forum in a really long time............ wow.......
Also.......... I am in no way the grammer police, but seriously???
ignorant??? plz explain how that is ignorant??

it would be ignorant to spend millions on a new stadium then invest on what you already have

ur right about not being the grammer police cause yours isnt that better captain obvious...what are you 10..grammer police....get a life asshole!!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:

it would be ignorant to spend millions on a new stadium then invest on what you already have

ur right about not being the grammer police cause yours isnt that better captain obvious...what are you 10..grammer police....get a life asshole!!
Calm down there.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 3:42 PM

Quote:

You want me to explain how your post was ignorant?...... I'll refresh your poor shor-term memory by quoting you......

[
Quote:
B]"Wolfe Stadium is good enough.
Upgrade the current seating, add seating, new video board. Keep it simple." [/B]
First of all, your knowlege of Missions & UTSA baseball is fairly ignorant judging by your post.
You think its a good idea to spend millions on "renovations" of an aging stadium, which is in a remote location, with minute adjacent development, and a fanbase that doesnt want to drive all the freaking way out there? This sounds like a good investment to you? It sounds more like throwing good money after bad....
I would much prefer an investment in a state-of-the-art, multipurpose, downtown ballpark. Adding architectural and cultural value to our downtown area.
I understand that you feel UTSA and The Missions not winning a "hole" lot of Championships is a reason to not invest; but what you fail to understand is that championships have absolutely nothing to do with the ballpark investment. Another beautiful downtown venue would attract all kinds of entertainment, even beyond UTSA & Missions baseball (which is good enough in my humble opinion)
With all of the championships that the Spurs have won over the past decade, do you realize that Mr. Holt makes more money every year on concerts at the AT&T center than on the Spurs Games?
As for your comment about me being 10......... If i were actually a 10 year old, i would have probably responded to your douche-baggery by hurling childish insults instead of backing up my arguement........... oh wait..............................

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:07 PM

Whether you like a move downtown or not it appears that some movement on the idea is happening, though slowly and still uncertain.

Downtown baseball stadium may no longer be a field of dreams

From KENS 5
http://www.kens5.com/news/Downtown-b...134720713.html

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said in recent months the idea of relocating Wolff Stadium, the home of the AA minor league team San Antonio Missions, has been gaining traction.

Wolff said there are at least two developers that are actively exploring the idea of building a stadium downtown.

Land near Fox Tech High School as well as land owned by UTSA’s Institute of Texan Cultures near the Alamodome are both being looked at as possible sites for a ballpark.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 1:04 AM
Let's Eat!

Thanks for the insite necropolis.

Archfan07...I stand by what I say. Like it or not.

1. Rethink a lot of what you typed. Multipurpose baseball stadium, what is that?? Baseball stadiums only work for BASEBALL!!
2. Spurs and Peter Holt have no impact on Missions/UTSA baseball.
3. Are your a firm supporter of baseball?
4. What is your knowledge of past Missions and UTSA baseball? player/championships
5. Make sure to get your season tickets and support your home team!!

Please Repond buddy. I got more to say!!

Last edited by FastFerrari82; Dec 1, 2011 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the insite necropolis.

Archfan07...I stand by what I say. Like it or not.

1. Rethink a lot of what you typed. Multipurpose baseball stadium, what is that?? Baseball stadiums only work for BASEBALL!!
4. What is your knowledge of past Missions and UTSA baseball? player/championships

Multi purpose means just that, it has multiple purposes. That term doesn't mean accommodate another sport.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 8:21 PM

I normally do my best to avoid mindless insults....... they are rarely, if ever, productive.....
But you have to be the most dense human being that I have ever encountered..........
That being said, I took bullet point #1 to heart. I took your sage advise and "re-thought" a lot of what I wrote. I looked deep within my soul..... but for the life of me I couldnt bring myself to describe to you...(an adult, I assume)... what a multipurpose baseball stadium is...... I feel slightly dumber after having considered googling the thousands of concerts & events that go on at stadiums around the country........ Should I seriously have to do that?

Quote:
Ugh......... my point wasnt that the Spurs & Mr. Holt have a direct impact on Missions & UTSA baseball. It was an analogy......... your argument was that The Missions & Roadrunners dont warrant a new stadium because, and I quote,
Quote:
I rebutted that statement by pointing out that Championships have little to do with the long-term viability of a new modern facility. I backed my rebuttal up by stating that Mr. Holt profits more from concerts and other events at the AT&T center every year, than he does from our 4X Champion Spurs. Is this to difficult to understand?..... Help me out here people....!!! Does this stuff only make sense in my own head?...!! It has been known to happen.....

Quote:
Yes, indeed I am............. I am also a firm supporter of Musical Concerts..... Beautiful Outdoor Venues.... Architecture......Public/Private Collaboration..... Urban Living.... Seeing my Tax dollars go to Worthwile Ventures.....The Honorable Judge Nelson Wolf.......... Puppies..... Ice cream..... and Long Walks on the Beach..........

Quote:
Ugh...... again...............ugh........... dude, what freaking difference does it make?............. Do I seriously need to tell you that our Missions are the reigning Texas League Champs?...... That they have put tons of players into the MLB?..... That I am a proud UTSA grad, and my knowledge of UTSA sports is fairly solid?..... Does that somehow advance my argument?.... Probably not, because the question has no bearing on our disagreement...... I am gonna go ahead and assume that you just needed a #4 for your 5 bullet point post, and that question was just "filler".......... and I am being generous.......

Quote:
This is the only one of your 5 bullet points that I can get onboard with..... I have, and always will support my home teams, dude........ I am an unashamed san antonio/UTSA die-hard supporter......... I am any and all things Texas.......... and you can bank on that, homeslice........

And finally...........

Quote:
Hope my responce to this ^^^^^^^comment quenched your thirst for my brilliant musings........... lol.... I look forward to your well-thought-out response. If it is anything like your last few, then we are all in for quite a treat....................

Archfan07........... OUT.................. ("Tebowing")......

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 9:41 AM

So when they say that they're considering the Fox Tech site, are they refering to their baseball field. If so, that would be an awesome spot to build it with a nice downtown view. They would obviously have to tear down a few businesses along Flores and the car dealership on Martin. Parking might be an issue though unless they build a garage. I'm all for a downtown location no matter where it's built.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 8:57 AM

Wow!!!! ....I think a project like this would totally change downtown's growth and vibe in a positive manner!!

Thank you Mr. Weston!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...wn-4122784.php

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:35 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I know plenty of people (including thh County Judge apparently) are super excited atthe possibility of a sports team dowtown, but it may not be the best use of limited city resources that may be better used for things like streetscape enhancements and pedestrian improvements. I can't help but the think that the baseball stadium is something of a red herring for SA. I think Weston is right to keep his personal focus on the potential for a tech campus revolving around Geekdom. I think that has loads more potential to create a vibrant local community downtown.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 4:21 PM

I think we've all come to the consensus that residential is what we need more of, especially in the core. I'm still waiting for that announcement of the residential projects he will be partnering on; especially if they are 1/3 mile radius of St. Mary's/Houston.

The second best thing I read was the addition of retail space at the ground floor of Weston Centre. That alone will do a tiny bit for encouraging pedestrian activity and range on the fringe of the core.

About that stadium... if the Riverwalk, and Rivercenter Mall, the Majestic Theater, events at Hemisfair and on and on and on don't lure that one person to DT, then a Missions game won't do it either. But if they insist, lets get them to play in the Alamodome a few times a year and see if the attendance difference (if any) will make up for the effort of building something and removing 8 acres of prime real estate from DT.

Let's focus on the need-to-haves like people living downtown and eventually a place for them to walk and get some groceries and then we can worry about the nice-to-haves.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 8:05 PM

I did think it was funny/sad how the mention of a stadium got so much ink, when the really important news was investing in a "startup village". And then they start throwing out these locations that don't apply at all to what Weston wants to do.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 8:27 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
I did think it was funny/sad how the mention of a stadium got so much ink, when the really important news was investing in a "startup village". And then they start throwing out these locations that don't apply at all to what Weston wants to do.
Couldn't agree more.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 11:14 PM

I think a downtown baseball stadium would be great for downtown because it gives downtown residents something to do. A downtown would spur residential development and that was made apparent by graham. They build the stadium, he helps build the residential around it.

Just like LoDo in Denver had a residential boom because of their baseball and football stadiums, so could a missions/MLB adaptable staidum if built behind fox tech.

And graham is doing the startup village regardless of a stadium. So why not also a stadium.

Imagine living downtown and catching the streetcar from the pearl to Southtown and pregaming then hitting the streetcar and going to a game.

That's the type of urban activity that sells a Urban area/downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio