HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 5:34 PM
BANNED

But there is now a lot of construction activity between Ground Zero and the GST constr. site, so it should make obsevers happy to see THIS much activity there.

All of those cranes in the pics above kind of remind me of threaded needles in a pin cushion.
And BTW, who is the constr. co. that's building the GS Tower anyway, Tishman?

Last edited by Daquan13; May 23, 2007 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:40 PM
low-riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GR2NY- View Post
Only 8 in the pictures right?

There is one on the far right arching off frame.

2 more around tower 2's site
2 for Tower 1
4 on Goldman Sachs.

But walking around the pit i had spotted 3 more. Although 1 of those I might have mistaken as a crane. It was from far away.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:47 PM
Beat it, bi(t)ches.

I am pleased to hear about the observation deck and restaurant. I am sure it will be a great space.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVNY View Post
I am pleased to hear about the observation deck and restaurant. I am sure it will be a great space.

Most Definitely!

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
With the PA officially (even though it was quiet) changing the name, this is a sign of things to come.

The trade center was known as different names to different people before and after the attacks. I suspect that it will be the same when rebuilt. It might be that only rubes will call it Freedom Tower.
The "sophisticates" in New York City undoubtably will refuse to call it "Freedom Tower" because the name was not proposed by Hillary Clinton. Most of these people don't consider the 9/11 incident an act of war, but rather a criminal act perpetrated by either: a) a group of 19 or 20 political activists with legitimate grievances against the United States empire, or b) the Bush administration itself.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
The "sophisticates" in New York City undoubtably will refuse to call it "Freedom Tower" because the name was not proposed by Hillary Clinton. Most of these people don't consider the 9/11 incident an act of war, but rather a criminal act perpetrated by either: a) a group of 19 or 20 political activists with legitimate grievances against the United States empire, or b) the Bush administration itself.
Feel 'free' to take your profound political insight to the apppropriate
political threads/ forums.....

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
It's STILL named Freedom Tower, and will always be because of it's symbolic height of 1,776 feet.

You know, the Declaration of Independance for freedom, signed during that year on July 4.
Oh yeah *snap*......the one signed in Philadelphia.......

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:41 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

This really applies to the WTC 2,3,4 towers more since its Silverstein, but I didn't want to post it three times.

Quote:
Insurance firms settle World Trade Center dispute with developer

A group of insurance companies has reached a two-billion-dollar settlement with the developers of the World Trade Center over payouts related to the September 11 attacks, officials said Wednesday.

New York Governor Eliot Spitzer said that the agreement by seven insurance firms settled all outstanding claims made by developer Larry Silverstein in relation to the attacks more than five years ago.

"The unsettled insurance claims were the last major barrier to rebuilding and have been bitterly and intensely contested for almost six years," Spitzer said in a statement.

"The settlement is the result of an extensive collaborative effort by many and it ensures that the Port Authority and Silverstein Properties will have the financial resources to meet their obligations" to rebuild the site, he said.

Silverstein, who took over the lease of the downtown New York complex just two months before the Twin Towers were destroyed, has already received more than two billion dollars in insurance payouts.

Silverstein launched a lawsuit in 2004 to get a bigger payout than the 3.5-billion-dollar limit of his policy, arguing that because two planes hit the Twin Towers, he should be eligible to collect twice from the insurers.

In 2004, a court ruled that Silverstein should receive no more than 4.6 billion dollars, but some of the insurers refused to pay up, contesting the argument that the attacks were separate incidents.

Last year, a US appeals court upheld a previous ruling that forced some of the insurers to treat the attacks as two separate events.

Silverstein and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site, are working together to rebuild the World Trade Center site, the centerpiece of which is to be the 541-meter (1,776-foot) Freedom Tower.

Construction on the skyscraper finally began last year after a series of delays.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg welcomed Wednesday's announcement, saying the settlement would help in the reconstruction of the lower Manhattan site.

"Today's announcement is another major step forward in our efforts to ensure that the redevelopment of the full World Trade Center site occurs as quickly as possible," he said in a statement.

The seven companies involved in Wednesday's settlement were Travelers Companies, Zurich American, Swiss Re, Employers Insurance Company of Wausau, Allianz, Industrial Risk Insurers and Royal Indemnity Company.
source was AFP: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070523...1M8ycIhBGyFz4D

Last edited by djvandrake; May 23, 2007 at 8:43 PM. Reason: Added source

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Bullshit

Quote:
The "sophisticates" in New York City...

Did some preacher man tell you 'bout them thar "sophisticates"?

Seriously, what a complete and utter bullshit post.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Sounds like rush limbaugh has got you all pent up over there. I suggest you go eat some freedom fries and get over it.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:59 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Is the name of a tower REALLY worth all this angst?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post
Bullshit

Did some preacher man tell you 'bout them thar "sophisticates"?

Seriously, what a complete and utter bullshit post.
The use of the word "sophisticates" is no less foolish than the original poster's description of those who use the term "Freedom Tower" as "rubes". The difference is, he was serious. It's kind of sad that those who use the term "freedom" are considered "rubes" by some. It's obvious that the objection he and many other have to the naming of the tower are based on partisan political views; I would hope that the terms such as "freedom" haven't become so controversial, even in a city whose population is so steeped in NY Times editorial viewpoint. Otherwise, why not rename the "Statue of Liberty" as "That green statue received as a gift from France"?

Seriously though, what is wrong with referring to the building as "Freedom Tower"? I want to know what the objection is....

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:11 PM

Because it is not the Freedom Tower it is One World Trade Center, The Freedom Tower as far as I know is in Miami, Florida. The title of 'Freedom' Tower is just kind of ... well...dumb. Noone will truely be reffering to this thing as 'Freedom' Tower upon completion and after while it is in use. Most will probably be calling it what it really is and that is One World Trade just like Foster will be called Two World Trade and not Freedom 2 or Foster's tower, and three will be known as Three World Trade and not Rogers' Tower. It's why we call tower 7, Tower Seven and not David Child's Tower. I agree with whomever said it before: Rube's from west bumblefk will be calling this thing the Freedom Tower everytime they come to visit it or see it in the media but the locals, and tenants, and anyone else with some sense that knows what this building replaced and really stands for is the World Trade Center. Freedom Tower screams publicity when it isn't needed. It's the rebuilding of one of this country's most prominent landmarks and financial/commercial institutions it's not hidden on the back burner and doesn't need a corny name for people to know what it is. The Freedom Tower didn't burn and collapse on Sept. 11'th, the World Trade Centers did. I don't know I guess that is just how I see it. I could be wrong.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl1 View Post
Because it is not the Freedom Tower it is One World Trade Center, The Freedom Tower as far as I know is in Miami, Florida.
The building that is under construction in this thread, with the spire reaching a height of 1,776 ft is named the FREEDOM TOWER.

Once again, it will no more be called 1 WTC than towers 2, 3, and 4 will be called 2, 3, and 4, WTC. Those towers may not even be called by their given addresses of 200, 175, and 150 Greenwich Streets.

It's a simple concept, I don't understand why so many people can't grasp it. The GE Building (formerly the RCA Building) may be at 30 Rockefeler Plaza, but its known as the GE Building. Same concept.

Another thing that many people may not be aware of, but most New Yorkers didn't refer to the WTC as the World Trade Center. It was simply the "Twin Towers".

We all know that the complex is still the World Trade Center, you'd have to be foolish not to know it. But the towers still have their individual names, and this one is called and will continue to be known as the FREEDOM TOWER.

It makes no sense to keep bringing up a dead issue.

Here's the owner's website that gives you everthing you need to know about the tower:
http://www.panynj.gov/pat_wtc_rebuilding.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:59 PM
BANNED

One last time - it IS called the Freedom Tower.

Some of you might not like it and some of you probably DO like it. Your choice.

Be that as it may, the name Freedom Tower was, is now, and is what it will ALWAYS be called. The towers will be numbered from one to 7, even though their street addresses will also be given to them as well.

Things aren't the same as when the former towers were there. This is a whole new thing - the NEW BREED.

Thanks, NYguy. I think that while I was writing MY post, that you were writing yours. But you're right!

Last edited by Daquan13; May 23, 2007 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 11:05 PM
New Yorker for life

More on the settlement...
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/23/ny...f62&ei=5087%0A

Settlement on Ground Zero Insurance Claims

Gov. Eliot Spitzer, right, with developer Larry A. Silverstein during a news conference today.

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
May 23, 2007

The Spitzer administration announced this afternoon the settlement of insurance claims at ground zero, ensuring that $4.55 billion will be available for rebuilding the World Trade Center site and ending an often bitter, five-year battle with insurers over payouts related to the terrorist attack.

The settlement with seven of the two dozen insurers — Allianz Global Risk, Travelers Companies, Zurich American, Swiss Re, Employers Insurance, Industrial Risk Insurers and Royal Indemnity — that provided coverage for the World Trade Center is the culmination of a two-month campaign by the state insurance superintendent, Eric R. Dinallo, involving meetings in Geneva, Paris and Delaware.

In recent weeks, Gov. Eliot Spitzer joined the negotiations, which lasted until the early morning hours today. The other insurers made good on their claims.

The agreement removes a dark cloud over the rebuilding effort, although the insurance money represents only about half of the $9 billion cost of rebuilding the office towers and retail space at ground zero.

Without the money, officials say they might not have been able to obtain private financing or the use of tax-free Liberty Bonds. The dispute, officials say, could have dragged on for some time without a resolution, while eating up millions of dollars in lawyers’ fees.

“The unsettled insurance claims were the last major barrier to rebuilding and have been bitterly and intensely contested for almost six years,” Governor Spitzer said in an interview. “This means we can now fund construction, access the financial markets and move on to what should be our primary focus: rebuilding.”

He said the agreement, which ends all the litigation, was part of a collaborative effort on the part of many officials who had lost “patience with the ongoing fighting that didn’t serve the public interest or the effort to rebuild.” Mr. Dinallo was working in tandem with the retired judge Albert Rosenblatt, who was overseeing an arbitration proceeding in the case.

Business leaders downtown, who have been frustrated by years of delays and political and legal wrangling, were elated by the news.

“The downtown business community is pleased that the efforts of the governor and the insurance superintendent in removing the remaining uncertainty over the financing of the World Trade Center site,” said Eric J. Deutsch, president of the Alliance for Downtown New York. “In conjunction with a strong office market, the settlement will ensure success.”

So far, the two dozen insurers at ground zero have collectively paid about $2.55 billion on a maximum claim of $4.68 billion.

Under the settlement, the seven insurers who disputed some of the claims will pay an additional $2 billion. All parties to the settlement have signed confidentiality agreements concerning the specific amounts paid by each company.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the land at ground zero and built the trade center, will get about $870 million from the settlement, which will go toward the cost of erecting the $3 billion Freedom Tower, the tallest and most symbolic skyscraper planned for ground zero, as well as the retail space at the complex. the developer Larry A. Silverstein will get the remaining $1.13 billion for three large office towers to be built along Church Street, between Vesey and Liberty Streets.

The Port Authority and Mr. Silverstein, who had leased the trade center complex six weeks before Sept. 11, had to relinquish their claim that the companies owed in excess of $500 million in interest relating to delays in making the payments.

This is not to say that nothing has happened at the 16-acre trade center site. The Port Authority is building a $2 billion PATH train station and work has begun on the Freedom Tower. The authority expects to turn over the eastern portion of the site to Mr. Silverstein at the end of this year.

“Look how far we’ve come in the last year,” Mr. Silverstein said.

“A year ago today, we opened 7 World Trade Center, a huge success and a validation of downtown as a world class business district,” he said. “We’ve started construction on the Freedom Tower. We reached an agreement on who would build what and when. And now we have resources to rebuild as quickly and spectacularly as possible.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Good news!!

It's high time that those remaining insurers cough up the funds to rebuild Ground Zero! Now there shouldn't be any more delays related to this, and things should go smoothly from here on.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:28 AM

Due to the fairly minimal pics on this thread, I took the day off work and did what had to be done. :^) Though I will say... the site is pretty well shielded by fencing and mesh that is likely there to keep construction dust from getting on the outside streets/etc.

I had to get up at 4:45am to get there so these are in no particular order. I walked from Penn Station down to the site, which I would not recommend cause then you are beat arse tired the rest of the day.

When the other gent mentioned a dozen cranes, he only meant the BIG ones, there are so many truck cranes as well. It's quite a symphony of movement. Here's a reflection shot off one of the WFC buildings (I believe) with me sort of in it as well. One of the firemen liked my Arrogrant Bastard beer shirt and told me where a bar was that has it on tap (but the bar wasn't open for lunch when I went there). I actually went into another bar that looked promising and as it turns out they were not open either which they told me when they found me staring at their taps with thirsty eyes as they came down the stairs - I guess the door was supposed to be locked LOL. Went into Jameson's Bar and had some Brooklyn Lager and then some Smithwick's.

Ramblings aside, more pics!

This one _kinda_ gives you the crane feel, sort of:

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:31 AM

Quote:
The use of the word "sophisticates" is no less foolish than the original poster's description of those who use the term "Freedom Tower" as "rubes". The difference is, he was serious. It's kind of sad that those who use the term "freedom" are considered "rubes" by some. It's obvious that the objection he and many other have to the naming of the tower are based on partisan political views; I would hope that the terms such as "freedom" haven't become so controversial, even in a city whose population is so steeped in NY Times editorial viewpoint. Otherwise, why not rename the "Statue of Liberty" as "That green statue received as a gift from France"?

Seriously though, what is wrong with referring to the building as "Freedom Tower"? I want to know what the objection is....
Nothing as far as I'm concerned. Its no more hoakey than the "Statue of Liberty".

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:24 AM

garcastle, great pictures and even better commentary! made me laugh

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive