HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The building that is under construction in this thread, with the spire reaching a height of 1,776 ft is named the FREEDOM TOWER.

Once again, it will no more be called 1 WTC than towers 2, 3, and 4 will be called 2, 3, and 4, WTC. Those towers may not even be called by their given addresses of 200, 175, and 150 Greenwich Streets.

It's a simple concept, I don't understand why so many people can't grasp it. The GE Building (formerly the RCA Building) may be at 30 Rockefeler Plaza, but its known as the GE Building. Same concept.

Another thing that many people may not be aware of, but most New Yorkers didn't refer to the WTC as the World Trade Center. It was simply the "Twin Towers".

We all know that the complex is still the World Trade Center, you'd have to be foolish not to know it. But the towers still have their individual names, and this one is called and will continue to be known as the FREEDOM TOWER.

It makes no sense to keep bringing up a dead issue.

Here's the owner's website that gives you everthing you need to know about the tower:
http://www.panynj.gov/pat_wtc_rebuilding.html
Not for nothing but I know alot more ppl that use the term 30 Rock rather than the GE. Infact most ppl I know that aren't skyscraper enthusiasts refer to it as 30 rock. All my family members in the local 3 refer to it as 30 rock. I really only first started seeing it commonly called GE on these websites and not for nothing there are alot more ppl that aren't skyscraper enthusiasts that go by addresses rather than names they may get mixed up. It's a big world. Also if I asked most people on the street what they were building down at ground zero it's a 75% chance they will say WTC. In general ppl in this city aren't as nutty about skyscrapers as we are and they outnumber us by many. What you call the freedom tower WILL be more commonly known as the WORLD TRADE CENTER. I mean unless they put a huge sign on top that says Freedom Tower. Wouldn't that be lovely? I'm not deliberatley trying to be confrentational but even if theres a huge freedom tower on the steel column most New Yorkers I know just say world trade. Just going by word of mouth and not articles.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:03 AM
I'm going slightly mad.

Those are awesome pics Garcastle, thanks for the street level view!

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:12 AM
drifting away

steel!!!! yay!!!!

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 5:21 AM
BANNED

The above post on the "sophisticates" et al is why I have stopped posting on the Freedom Tower. The politics in this thread are piled up so high they need wings to keep them up.

Finally they are building this one.

I love the design.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond 1000 View Post
The above post on the "sophisticates" et al is why I have stopped posting on the Freedom Tower. The politics in this thread are piled up so high they need wings to keep them up.

Finally they are building this one.

I love the design.

Hi, Beyond 1000!

So, that's why I haven't seen you here.

Yes, people DO have negative talk here, and they need to stop hating on the ones who want to see the tower built, mainly me.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 11:43 AM

Great pictures!

I've made that long walk a few times...it was a beautiful day for it!

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCastle View Post
Due to the fairly minimal pics on this thread, I took the day off work and did what had to be done. :^) Though I will say... the site is pretty well shielded by fencing and mesh that is likely there to keep construction dust from getting on the outside streets/etc.

I had to get up at 4:45am to get there so these are in no particular order. I walked from Penn Station down to the site, which I would not recommend cause then you are beat arse tired the rest of the day.
Great photos. Early morning and late afternoon shots are the best. Keep them coming.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:56 PM
BANNED

Thumbs down

Ohhhhhhhhh... finnally one crane more, 2 then and where is the bldg?... nothing.. just cranes. 6 years only for 2 cranes. For a bldg make requires 600 years ..... or 6000000 years? Make me as clown. We will never have this bldg up. It is just marketing, marketing of ground zero forever.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:15 PM

GarCastle, your photos are amazing!!! It's difficult to portray the true scope and immense size of the project; your shots really give a "You Are There" type of presence.

The slurry wall is quite impressive in this shot:

Again, thank you for an early morning call and an arse-tiring day. We all appreciate it!

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 4:24 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

GarCastle, you are a trooper!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post
Nothing as far as I'm concerned. Its no more hoakey than the "Statue of Liberty".

Just to make it more formal and official, it should be called "The Tower of Freedom"

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:17 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post
Nothing as far as I'm concerned. Its no more hoakey than the "Statue of Liberty".

Oh, is that what they call it?

I always thought it was One Liberty Island.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl1 View Post
Not for nothing but I know alot more ppl that use the term 30 Rock rather than the GE. Infact most ppl I know that aren't skyscraper enthusiasts refer to it as 30 rock. All my family members in the local 3 refer to it as 30 rock. I really only first started seeing it commonly called GE on these websites and not for nothing there are alot more ppl that aren't skyscraper enthusiasts that go by addresses rather than names they may get mixed up. It's a big world. Also if I asked most people on the street what they were building down at ground zero it's a 75% chance they will say WTC. In general ppl in this city aren't as nutty about skyscrapers as we are and they outnumber us by many.
Most people will know this tower as the Freedom Tower. Do a google search on the name and see what you come up with. Likewise, do a search on 1 WTC, and see what you come up with. Big differnce. It's the Freedom Tower, has been the Freedom Tower, and will be know by the people as the Freedom Tower. YES, the entire concept is the WTC, and will always be. That much is obvious.

Quote:
What you call the freedom tower WILL be more commonly known as the WORLD TRADE CENTER. I mean unless they put a huge sign on top that says Freedom Tower.
A ridiculous statement. Are you saying only the Freedom Tower alone will be known as the World Trade Center? You must have forgotten the other large office towers rising there. Again, I'll give you the GE Building. We know it's Rockerfeller Center, but the buildings have their own individualities. And what have we been calling 1 Bryant Park? The BofA tower.

It's ridiculous for me to even be having this discussion.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Silverstein, happily smiling over his Freedom Tower construction...

gothamist.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:07 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quite honestly, I rather expect the term "World Trade Center" to gradually fade from public use. I always thought of the WTC as the Twin towers; I didn't even realize there WAS a 7 WTC (or a six or five or four, for that matter) prior to 9/11. It's quite clear to me that most visitors within a decade will not even realize that there is any particular relationship between the FT and, let's say, 4 WTC... no more than there is between the BOFA and the Verizon.

Within a decade, aside from a the Post Office and a few skyscraper fans, the term "World Trade Center" will (for the vast majority of the public) reference merely the old Twin Towers that once stood where the waterfalls will be. The radical difference in height and style between the new towers will ensure that.

The famous building will be... the Freedom Tower, famously 1,776 feet tall.

It's a catchy name, one that has already caught on and is sure to remain as firmly planted in the public's mind as, let's say, the comparatively cumbersome - and to most people, inexplicable - "Empire State Building."

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; May 24, 2007 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:12 PM
New Yorker for life

^Most people simply called it the Twin Towers. Few people even knew (or cared) that there were smaller buildings around the towers, also part of the World Trade Center.

The complex will still be known as the World Trade Center, even though the buildings themselves go by individual names. Silversein already has his towers as 200, 175, and 150 Greenwich Streets. Who knows what Tower 5 will be called?..

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:16 PM
New Yorker for life

A few more pics from the site (taken Sunday, May 20th)...

They are also working on the West St underpass that will connect to the Freedom Tower and
the rest of the WTC complex, making it possible to travel underground from BPC all the way to
the Fulton Street Transit Center...

"Ground Zero" is very active in all corners...

But everyone knows what the star attraction is at this point...

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Who knows what Tower 5 will be called?..
Five World Trade? Just Kidding. Good point about the BoA.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl1 View Post
Five World Trade? Just Kidding. Good point about the BoA.
Didn't mean to sound too harsh, but this complex will always be known as the World Trade Center. The Freedom Tower is a part of that, but it's not the only part. There's now the memorial, the perorming arts center, Calatrava's PATH terminal, etc. It's all the World Trade Center.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:53 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Oh, I know it will officially be called the WTC, and even in newspapers and such... but I think tourists, for one thing, will be specifically excited about the FT and therefore use THAT name a lot more. Even most New Yorkers, I bet, won't think of the entire place as a complex, even if intellectually they'll likely be aware that in fact it is.

But why argue? Time will tell.

I ❤️ NY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive