HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 9:15 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
They should at least be glad that 7 WTC is back on the scene and has partly broken the curse
of the terror attacks.
I don't think many people appreciate how FAST 7 WTC went up. It amazes me that people are so blind to the amount of politics and emotions involved in this project. They do not realize how fortunate we are that construction is happening as quickly as it is, and the heights of whats being constructed.

The WTC is not just your average construction site. Nearly 3,000 families, lease holders, city officials, neighboring companies, The Port Authority, NYPD, FDNY, state officials, construction companies, the MTA, and many more people all have to come to a compromise on what is to be built. So with that, I am 110% happy that things are progressing the way they currently are.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I don't think many people appreciate how FAST 7 WTC went up. It amazes me that people are so blind to the amount of politics and emotions involved in this project. They do not realize how fortunate we are that construction is happening as quickly as it is, and the heights of whats being constructed.

The WTC is not just your average construction site. Nearly 3,000 families, lease holders, city officials, neighboring companies, The Port Authority, NYPD, FDNY, state officials, construction companies, the MTA, and many more people all have to come to a compromise on what is to be built. So with that, I am 110% happy that things are progressing the way they currently are.
100 % correct. 7 WTC didn't have to go through site planning and the various design conflicts associated with ground zero. When talking about progress at the WTC site, people should reference 7 WTC as to what can happen where the site is less complicated by death and design. Real lives were lost down there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
I wish that some one could help those of us that are visually challenged out by oulining in red one of these arial photos of the site. I cannot for the LIFE of me, figure out where the foot print of this building is. Can some one do that? All I see is a mess in the pit.

There IS actually a pic posted of Ground Zero several pages back, I believe, that have all of the things outlined where they will go.

In any event, the tower is being built in the far northwest corner of Ground Zero.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 11:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
100 % correct. 7 WTC didn't have to go through site planning and the various design conflicts associated with ground zero. When talking about progress at the WTC site, people should reference 7 WTC as to what can happen where the site is less complicated by death and design. Real lives were lost down there.

You're right, it didn't.

I strongly believe that it's mainly because no one died in the building. Had anyone died in it, the relatives more than likely would have pissed and moaned to Pataki, asking him NOT to let anything be rebuilt in that spot.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 11:43 PM
World Machine

Quote:
You're right, it didn't.

I strongly believe that it's mainly because no one died in the building. Had anyone died in it, the relatives more than likely would have pissed and moaned to Pataki, asking him NOT to let anything be rebuilt in that spot.
I think the city wanted the new 7 WTC at the time to serve as a symbol of re-construction and motivation. That without a doubt contributed to the fast rebuilding of the tower.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:00 AM

Quote:
I think the city wanted the new 7 WTC at the time to serve as a symbol of re-construction and motivation. That without a doubt contributed to the fast rebuilding of the tower.
Don't forget about the substation. That very practical need played perhaps the biggest role in getting things going as quickly as they did.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:01 PM

Quote:

Well at least, it started the ball rolling, after all the delay bullshit.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:50 PM
BANNED

True dat, true dat!!

And once the Freedom Tower is completed, they will both be standing tall!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:26 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Don't forget about the substation. That very practical need played perhaps the biggest role in getting things going as quickly as they did.
We can all thank Consolidated Edison then for pushing for the fast re-buildung of 7 WTC.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 7:15 PM
Verticle

Quote:
There IS actually a pic posted of Ground Zero several pages back, I believe, that have all of the things outlined where they will go.

In any event, the tower is being built in the far northwest corner of Ground Zero.

POST #1617 for anyone that is interested.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 10:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
That was a major factor, but the biggest was the fact that there simply was no process to build around. Had people lost lives in 7 WTC like the other towers, we'd be looking at another memorial site.

But once it was decided that the building would be smaller to allow Greenwich to pass by, David Childs had the design and Silverstein got to work. We'll witness it again once the Port Authority finishes with the bathtub, and Silverstein is given the sites of towers 3 and 4.

As far as the numerous Freedom Tower delays, thank Libeskind, Pataki, the LMDC, and the Port Authority. But once everything was clear, the Freedom Tower has seen nothing but steady progress.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That was a major factor, but the biggest was the fact that there simply was no process to build around. Had people lost lives in 7 WTC like the other towers, we'd be looking at another memorial site.

But once it was decided that the building would be smaller to allow Greenwich to pass by, David Childs had the design and Silverstein got to work. We'll witness it again once the Port Authority finishes with the bathtub, and Silverstein is given the sites of towers 3 and 4.

As far as the numerous Freedom Tower delays, thank Libeskind, Pataki, the LMDC, and the Port Authority. But once everything was clear, the Freedom Tower has seen nothing but steady progress.

Yeah, they were all playing mind games with each other and the public. Pataki was the ringmaster. What, with his constant blundering and screwups! He was only giving false hopes and empty promises. The tower had two or more false starts thanks to him.

Libeskind kept on fighting with Silverstein and Childs because their design and location of the tower's spire didn't sit too well with him.

Last edited by Daquan13; Nov 3, 2007 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 12:28 AM
them bones

Can't wait for my Millenium Hilton view this weekend!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 1:22 AM

Are those new columns bolted to the West wall above the PATH tracks? I don't remember seeing those before.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 3:59 AM
BANNED

I believe that they were placed atop concrete piles that were, in turn, placed 25 feet deep into the bedrock.

Part of the infrastructure WILL be anchored to that wall though.

Last edited by Daquan13; Nov 3, 2007 at 1:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
I wish that some one could help those of us that are visually challenged out by oulining in red one of these arial photos of the site. I cannot for the LIFE of me, figure out where the foot print of this building is. Can some one do that? All I see is a mess in the pit.
Does this make it clear? (sorry for poor colors)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 2:04 PM
BANNED

To see the whole spot where everything will go, just go to page 65 and scroll down to find post# 1617.

It should answer everyone's question as to how the stuff will fit, and where.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 2:24 PM

Quote:
To see the whole spot where everything will go, just go to page 65 and scroll down to find post# 1617.

It should answer everyone's question as to how the stuff will fit, and where.
Or link it:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1617

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Thanks!

I tried doing it that way, but it just friggen wouldn't work!!

Last edited by Daquan13; Nov 3, 2007 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 7:45 PM

This is sure taking forever, but I can't imagine coordinating such a clusterfuck of a site, with 16 acres being prepped to accomodate tens of thousands of people in a group of buildings designed by a half dozen different architects.

I think a friend of mine at Tishman must have been transferred from 7WTC to FT by now. Should get in touch with him sometime.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive