HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 11:38 PM
BANNED

You're right!!

No need to get into fisticups with these non-believers. We already know what it will be called. Seems that they just want something to argue about.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 12:01 AM

lol daquan - it's fisticuffs man, not fisticups!

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 12:03 AM
BANNED

Whatever.

You know what I mean. This is not a spellchecker thread. It's about the Freedom Tower.

Last edited by Daquan13; May 25, 2007 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 1:35 AM

In normal day to day use almost everyone I've ever known in NY called it the "trade center". I'm sure the name isn't going away. The "twin towers" was used more in the media that in day to day use.

The name I really hate is "ground zero". That, IMO, is the worst of them all.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 2:51 AM
BANNED

I don't recall anyone outside of the New York City area really using the term "Twin Towers" until after 9/11. And certainly outside of NYC no one used "1 WTC" or "2 WTC" or "North Tower" or "South Tower". Before 9/11 the two buildings were referred to together as the "World Trade Center", and most people never even considered anything other than those two buildings as part of a "WTC complex". For a while, in post 9/11 news reports, the phrase "the twin towers of the World Trade Center" was used, quickly being shortened in the American lexicon to just "Twin Towers" as the event was burned into every American's consciousness.

Only time will tell what names come into common usage for the new 1 WTC. I'm pretty confident few people will call it "one world trade center". Maybe the hep jazz cats will call it "the eff tee" or simply "the Tower". But I'm sure us "rubes" out here in fly-over country will simply call it "Freedom Tower". Sorry if that offends some in NYC. No one out really here cares about Pataki or associates him with the name. Nor do most consider the word "freedom" hoaky. The term "ground zero" will only begin to fade when construction is to the point where there isn't a huge hole in the ground, although it will probably live on as an alternative name for the memorial for a while (Ground Zero Memorial), simply because it is so evocative of the tragedy.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 11:13 AM

how about the freedom trade centre? fair compromise?

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics.. even if you win your still a retard"

(spot the deliberate mistake)

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 12:25 PM
BANNED

For North-Americans the term WTC is the twin towers, undoubtly, but do not forget WTC is all over the world with smaller complexes. In Brazil, each big city has a Word Trade Center building and abroad in China, Europe, Asia and so on. The name WTC is a business. Of course the famous name started with twin towers in NYC, but after 9/2001 in America this name was dead, while abroad is still alive. Freedom Tower is a very good name for the disaster, Ground Zero and a tower that symbolises the replacement and renew, but in some way still remembering the tragedy from obsures hands there made. So for new generations the Freedom Tower will be a famous name. If someone more intelligent ask, where this name came from? then an ancient can tell, please look our park of twin towers old WTC contour here.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Quite honestly, I rather expect the term "World Trade Center" to gradually fade from public use. I always thought of the WTC as the Twin towers; I didn't even realize there WAS a 7 WTC (or a six or five or four, for that matter) prior to 9/11. It's quite clear to me that most visitors within a decade will not even realize that there is any particular relationship between the FT and, let's say, 4 WTC... no more than there is between the BOFA and the Verizon.

Within a decade, aside from a the Post Office and a few skyscraper fans, the term "World Trade Center" will (for the vast majority of the public) reference merely the old Twin Towers that once stood where the waterfalls will be. The radical difference in height and style between the new towers will ensure that.

The famous building will be... the Freedom Tower, famously 1,776 feet tall.

It's a catchy name, one that has already caught on and is sure to remain as firmly planted in the public's mind as, let's say, the comparatively cumbersome - and to most people, inexplicable - "Empire State Building."
With the breakup in the streets and the distinct buildings, I think there is a chance they will be referred to by address and not by "world trade center". Although, a very slim chance because WTC is so ingrained now and the area will still be called that officially.

Freedom Tower - I don't think it's about being catchy at all. Jm likened it to "statue of liberty" and I disagree with that...it really was a beacon for liberty for immigrants and a symbol of the city. The FT and freedom have no connection and I think it's future name will be subject to who is talking about it. A tourist will likely call it the "freedom tower" while someone who works there may call it "one world trade center". Who knows, I'll be satisfied when it's built.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 1:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
With the breakup in the streets and the distinct buildings, I think there is a chance they will be referred to by address and not by "world trade center". Although, a very slim chance because WTC is so ingrained now and the area will still be called that officially.

Freedom Tower - I don't think it's about being catchy at all. Jm likened it to "statue of liberty" and I disagree with that...it really was a beacon for liberty for immigrants and a symbol of the city. The FT and freedom have no connection and I think it's future name will be subject to who is talking about it. A tourist will likely call it the "freedom tower" while someone who works there may call it "one world trade center". Who knows, I'll be satisfied when it's built.

And so will I.

Freedom Tower and 1 WTC are one in the same. And it can't be called a Twin Tower because there is no Twin.

At this point, I just want to see the thing get built as well.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 5:20 PM
Frigidus Maximus

I don't know, Tonyo...

I just can't picture a family of tourists flying in from Omaha or whatnot and the little daughter pleading, "Daddy! Daddy! Can we go see One World Trade Center??!!!"

As for "meaning," well... how many people that even live in New York realize that New York State is - or was, at one time - referred to as "the Empire State?" How many know why?

Jingoistic or not, at least the reason for referring to the FT as such is pretty clear to most people.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 5:33 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
I don't know, Tonyo...

I just can't picture a family of tourists flying in from Omaha or whatnot and the little daughter pleading, "Daddy! Daddy! Can we go see One World Trade Center??!!!"

As for "meaning," well... how many people that even live in New York realize that New York State is - or was, at one time - referred to as "the Empire State?" How many know why?

Jingoistic or not, at least the reason for referring to the FT as such is pretty clear to most people.
Most likely everyone will refer it to the "New World Trade Center" or the Freedom Tower. I doubt the 3 other towers will ever become as famous as the original Towers.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 6:58 PM
BANNED

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Most likely everyone will refer it to the "New World Trade Center" or the Freedom Tower. I doubt the 3 other towers will ever become as famous as the original Towers.

The Twins had dominated the skies over Lower Manhattan for close to 30 years, and I wish that they were still there so that I could have the chance to visit them at least. They were the tallest buildings on the Eastern Seaboard.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 2:35 AM
low-riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I doubt any out of staters, tourists or whatever, forumers not included, will call the "New" world trade center. Freedom tower will be used more by out of staters than 1 wtc. in the city, its a tossup. But i can't see them even calling the complex the world trade center when for the past 5 years its been ingrained into everyones brain that it is ground zero. so i believe the majority of people, outside of the press, will simply call it ground zero and freedom tower.

i call it 1wtc. it just works for me. its really just a matter of preference. not a big deal at all.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 5:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl1 View Post
Five World Trade? Just Kidding. Good point about the BoA.

How about calling it the Ground Zero Tower? Something to be given the name after the place is all rebuilt. Haha!!

But I think it WILL be called 5 WTC.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 3:21 PM

Quote:
I don't know, Tonyo...

That's basically what I was saying. To everyone from outside NY it will likely be known as the freedom tower. To New Yorkers and the tri-state area it may be known as something else. To those who work there it may be known as some third name entirely. If we are all still talking on SSP in 10 years then we will know who was right and say "I told you so" then.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Thumbs up

To my best knowllege, it will be known as the Freedom Tower and 1 WTC. Now as to whether it will be named by it's address, like the OTHER towers, that still remains to be seen.

But the building numbers from 1 to 7 will stick.

Last edited by Daquan13; May 26, 2007 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 8:57 PM

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFisher123 View Post

This is very and you need to stop it.

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 12:31 AM

while its obvious this design is very plain the building is tall. is this tower going to be the tallest in the country?

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 12:34 AM
BANNED

Yes. At least for the time being.

But you know that Windy City will be hot on its heels.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive